Guest Dialectician

What Are You Reading Currently? [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

Why would you say you're reading an amazing book yet you can't tell us what it is? then mentioning it in this thread is pointless.

She's reading a biography of Imam Khomeini that slanders and defames him.

She's trying to build up some hype for it before making the announcement public.

Edited by baradar_jackson

I have just finished Gerrard: My Autobiography by Steven Gerrard

059305475X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I started reading The Theory of the Governace of Jurist (Wilayat al-Fiqih) by Mahdi Hadavi Tehrani

31dZSpD%2B92L._SS500_.jpg

However, I've stopped as it was very complicated and my head started hurting after.

I'm gonna see if Ayatollah Khomeini's (ra) original work on the topic is any better (I'm sure it would have been logical to start with that instead).

Edited by Replicant

Why not? :unsure:

It's Brave New World.

You can get Animal Farm for free on the internet. There are also cheap prints out there if you can find them.The one I got was priced £1.30

Well that was embarrassing.. :blush: And I can't even edit my post... :Hijabi:

I probably could, I just have this thing for buying books in shops :lol: Its time I got an amazon account, really. :squeez:

Some of what Im currently reading.

The count of monte cristo. Started off a bit boring, then became awesome, now nearly a third of the way through (its about 1300 pages in total) and its boring again. I have it on good authority that it gets better.

Metaphysics: a contemporary introduction. Ive got through a few of the chapters so far. Its heavy reading and dry in parts, and I need a break of a couple of weeks at least in between each chapter otherwise I'll burn out.

Everywhere and Everywhen. This is an introduction to the philosophy of physics. Ive read 2/3 of the book, and its not as interesting as I thought it would be. Im not sure whether thats the authors fault or the just the subject matter. Maybe I need to know more physics to appreciate it. Which brings me to...

The Goldilocks Enigma. I bought this about 2yrs ago and lost interest after 60 pages. Now that Ive picked it up again Im finding it a lot more interesting. Its basically a popular intro to cosmology, with a focus on the amazing fine tuning of the Universe for life.

Usually Im reading many books at one time. I read a few chapters of one book, get bored and go to a second, then a third... then maybe back to the first. This means that it takes me a few months to finish a book on average. I wish I had the discipline of baradar and Marbles to focus on one book at a time and finish it in a few days. Nevermind... back to Monte Cristo

Edited by .InshAllah.

Usually Im reading many books at one time. I read a few chapters of one book, get bored and go to a second, then a third... then maybe back to the first. This means that it takes me a few months to finish a book on average. I wish I had the discipline of baradar and Marbles to focus on one book at a time and finish it in a few days. Nevermind... back to Monte Cristo

I am a lot worse. I read 2-3 pages of whatever interests me in any part of a book and then go to another book. Well at least I can justify it by saying that the Quran has a tasrifi style @)

just ordered "outliers". i have it on good authority that its an inspirational read

This is a very good book. I read it a year ago when it just came out and I re-read it again in the month of ramadhan in one sitting.

I'm reading a book called" Book of Passage" for Sayed Mohammed Alhussaini Al-Shiraziقدس الله سره.

It is really a good book, I'm currently reading in the last chapter that talks about the curtsies of travelling.

It is very very useful, I advise you to read it, if you can read Arabic.

Edited by Zahra1

just finished outliers. took me ages cos i could only read it in small chunks at a time.

things are still clicking and connecting in my mind, but i found it to be fascinating. especially the stories about bill gates, the jewish lawyers and genius minds. great stuff. it was a pretty brave step for the author to talk about races like that, risking the wrath of the PC army, the korean pilots and paddy fields thing was particularly interesting.

initial thoughs are that i probably racked up 10,000 hours on sc, why arent i a maestro yet :huh: