Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest Dialectician

What Are You Reading Currently? [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

The Book of Mormon. My colleague and I have been discussing religion lately, and she was trying to explain the need for an intercessor to me. I was not convinced, so she gave me the book and recommended I read a particular section.

Cus I have to... for my Ethnicity Literature class. I'd have to read To Kill a Mockingbird next week, and then The Bean Trees, Tortilla Curtain, and many other novel

I enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird. I read it because I heard it was good, though, not because I had to.

I am reading "The Chosen" by Chaim Potok

it's about friendship between a jewish boy and a (hasidic) jewish boy.

Sounds interesting, is it going good?

I'm reading The Shade of Swords – Jihad & the conflict between Islam & Christianity by M.J. Akbar; it's really interesting & the writer's style is very inviting. I reccommend it.

Sounds interesting, is it going good?

I'm reading The Shade of Swords – Jihad & the conflict between Islam & Christianity by M.J. Akbar; it's really interesting & the writer's style is very inviting. I reccommend it.

I had a look at the reviews of the book; what I would find funny is if Pakistan and Bangladesh merged back into India :)

Guest Dialectician

Culture and Imperialism by Edward Said

Darwin's Dangerous Idea by Daniel C. Dennett

Guest Dialectician
Very good choice :) . Have you read Orientalism? If so, what did you think?
read both.. lets start a thread on them

I've this major exam in a fortnight. We'll definitely discuss them sooner or later - now that I've found you two. :P

Edited by Dialectician

I've this major exam in a fortnight. We'll definitely discuss them sooner or later - now that I've found you two. :P

For sure - will give me some time to read over Orientalism again :)

I just finnished reading 'The Shia Revival' by Vali Nasr...is that guy really Seyyid Hossein Nasr's son? That book was terrible... :no:

I'm now reading 'Woman & Her Rights' by Murtaza Mutahheri

In the Name of the High

assalam o 'alaykum ...

why was Vali work terrible ? (yes, he dr Seyyed Hossein Nasrs son)

regards, abbas

aliabbasqureshi@yahoo.com

In the Name of the High

assalam o 'alaykum ...

why was Vali work terrible ? (yes, he dr Seyyed Hossein Nasrs son)

regards, abbas

aliabbasqureshi@yahoo.com

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah

To be brief, I honestly found 'The Shia Revival' to be mediocre & left much to be desired. He had poor references for his points & seemed to be giving his own opinion many times [ which seemed very biased & uninformed ]. I found his analyses left weren't very in depth & I had an issue where he seemed to be trying to 'create' a split between Ayatollah Khoei & Ayatollah Khomeini.

This thread gives an excellent review of the book.

Right now I'm reading 'Western Civilisation through Muslim Eyes' by Seyyed Mujtaba Musavi Lari

Edited by Nazireh7

Salam,

Currently I'm reading 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini.

I'm usually quick with reading books, but exams coming up as well as work is becoming quite hectic, so its taking me time to read through. Although, so far its been brilliant.

Allah Kareem

Regards,

(salam)

Chicken Soup for the teenage soul. I love this book like anything!!

:blush:

i read them, some of the stories get repeated over lots of other books thou.

ws

Salam,

Currently I'm reading 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini.

I'm usually quick with reading books, but exams coming up as well as work is becoming quite hectic, so its taking me time to read through. Although, so far its been brilliant.

Allah Kareem

Regards,

The same.

I like Chicken Soup books too lol.

Quran: A Poetic Translation

By Fazlollah Nikayin

There are a lot of books with small price tags by sheikh fadlullah haeri, i had the chance to buy 5 or 6 of his books. right now I am reading Journel of the Self. I recommend it and Begining's End.

Has anyone read Kernel of the Kernel? If so, what did you think of it?

Yes, the book is excellent. I would recommend the book form of Kernel of Kernel translated by Dr.Faghfoory over the electronic version that is now available in al-islam.org. I find you can acquire it from any Interlibrary Loan System from your local library/or even university, since it is a rare book to get a hold of. Buying it from the publisher, I think is another possibility.

Guest jenneh19
There are a lot of books with small price tags by sheikh fadlullah haeri, i had the chance to buy 5 or 6 of his books. right now I am reading Journel of the Self. I recommend it and Begining's End.

thnks.. this one that im reading tho is amazing... usualy english translations dont help much because they themselves r difficult to understand, but this one provides a poetic approach which is more general but also very concise and touches the basic points of the original Quran.

oh ya and its also quite a price to pay, but its something i think even my children could benefit from.. so i dont mind the price tag ... if ur gna spend money might as well put it to good use right?

(salam)

:blush:

i read them, some of the stories get repeated over lots of other books thou.

ws

Oh. i havent experience this thou, i want to buy Chicken soup for the wife's soup :D

The same.

I like Chicken Soup books too lol.

I know.. they're amazing..

I've never heard of 'Chicken Soup' books till now :unsure:

lol! They are soo famous ones.. written by Jack Canfield, i think a counsellor or soemthing..