Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
huss_vii

Women And Makeup In Islam

Rate this topic

(salam)

i had a non muslim friend ask me this question which i was wondering about also,

she said she saw a muslim sister wearing a hijab and was also wearing a huge load of makeup

she asked me whether or not that contradicted the whole idea of the hijab being a sort of protective barrier concealing a womans beauty

she asked why if the girl's intentions with the hijab was to conceal her beauty, was she wearing so much make up, and actually advertising it

(salam)

i had a non muslim friend ask me this question which i was wondering about also,

she said she saw a muslim sister wearing a hijab and was also wearing a huge load of makeup

she asked me whether or not that contradicted the whole idea of the hijab being a sort of protective barrier concealing a womans beauty

she asked why if the girl's intentions with the hijab was to conceal her beauty, was she wearing so much make up, and actually advertising it

so wat was ur answer?

(salam)

It is haram for a girl to put pounds of make up and wear her hijab. The makeup does make her lookgood. showing such beaty can only be shown to only mehrums. Allah(SWT) states in the Holy Quran: 24:31

"And order the Muslim women to lower down their sights a little and guard their chastity and show not their adornment but as much which is itself apparent and remain putting their head coverings over their bosoms. And disclose not their adornment but to their husbands, or to their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or to their or the of sons husbands or their brothers or the sons of their brothers or the sons of their sisters or the women of their religion..."

Edited by Huda A.

(salam)

Good question. Point is, the muslim sister wearing hijab shouldn't be wearing a huge load of makeup in front of namahram. It IS contradictory and not what hijab is all about. Further, our scholars are quite clear that women aren't supposed to display themselves made up in makeup in front of namahram.

It doesnt matter if it's a lot or a little. The only makeup that is halal is Eye liner, according to Sistani and that is only if it does not and is not meant to attract men!

Specifically kohl eyeliner, I don't even think any other eyeliner in front of namahram is permitted.

(bismillah)

We had this discussion on the RMA,

and here is what our dear brother Ahmed

came across;

In particular, kohl has been recommended for women.

It is narrated from Imâm al-Bâqir (as): “To put collyrium (kohl)

round the eyes gives the mouth a good smell, and makes the eye

lashes strong and increases the power of sexual intercourse.”[39]

It is also narrated from Imâm as-Sâdiq (as): “To put collyrium (kohl)

in the evenings is beneficial to the eyes and during the day it is Sunnah.”[40]

NOTE: Although the traditions recommend the usage of kohl,

they do not condone its usage in places where it can be seen

by men and can be a source of attraction.

http://al-islam.org/heavenlypath/

:donno: :rolleyes:

(salam)

My personal opinion is that any type of makeup seems to be against the idea of Hejab. Makeup is generally used to enhance/brings out the best in your feature. Many people may disagree with my views though.

Moving to Sis Forum.

(salam)

My personal opinion is that any type of makeup seems to be against the idea of Hejab. Makeup is generally used to enhance/brings out the best in your feature. Many people may disagree with my views though.

Moving to Sis Forum.

(bismillah)

As salaam alaykum,

I totally agree with you..

And for the person who doesnt,

i think it is more of an ignorant issue..

:rolleyes:

The reason why a lot of girls do not wear their hijab correctly is lack of knowledge and understanding. People are too scared to tell people how to wear hijab because they dont want to seem like a extremist. We need young speakers to talk about how to wear hijab. Peer pressure doesnt help. I feel sorry for girls that think they need to wear make-up to attract men but the reality is when they see muslim brothers hanging out with non-hijabis, a teenager is going to feel insecure and pressured that they need to keep up with 'trash' and that means that they end up dressing like trash but with a head scarf. Its not theyr fault 100%. Its societies fault. OUR society.

So the answer could be:

1)lack of knowledge

2) peer pressure

3) Wanna get married (it sound like a lame excuse but its true)

4) might have defects on the face (but i think ur referring to a girl who was using make-up for beautification purposes)

5) lacks self confidence

Im sure theres more but the only valid reason is lack of knowledge

(salam)

The only reason why a lady would wear make up is to beautify herself.. the whole point of wearing a hijab is to show MODESTY which basically means dress simple...

Wearing eye liner is haraam infront of nonmah. because what other reason is eyeliner used for other then to make eyes stick out --> again beautifying ones self. SO the actual intention when wearing eyeliner would probably be to make ones self look prettier... whats the point of wearing a hijab then>?

wasalam

makeup contradicts hijab

if u gonna wear makeup to look nice infront of fellow sisters, then u can do that without wearin hijab

but if ur wearin hijab and then u do makeup, like wth? for who? for us bros

sorry to break it to u, but us brothers dont find makeup hijabis attractive

i know it hurts, and the whole world has jus come crushing down on u upon this realization, but its the truth, ohhhh all the thousands of dollars spent to no avail

to all the sisters who wear hijab and then pound thier faces with makeup

u need to read the following book

what a brother wants by Ayatollah habib

and

sisiters its not working by sister ******

Edited by Mohammmad

Well, I spend 0 euro per month for make up. I used to wear kohl though, but since I know it's haram (to be worn in front of namahrams) I dont use it anymore. It was bit difficult because I was really attached to it lol. But now I don't care anymore. I don't have any make up, no perfumes (it's still the same amount after 2 years lol). I wonder why girls spend so much time for make up, I believe even if it was allowed, I wouldn't have the time to use any make up before going to school.. lol.

because what other reason is eyeliner used for other then to make eyes stick out --> again beautifying ones self. SO the actual intention when wearing eyeliner would probably be to make ones self look prettier... whats the point of wearing a hijab then>?

(salam)

Well, at the time of the prophet(saaw), men and women wore eyeliner as a medication...it was said to improve eyesight and help with eye infections. But of course, it it attracts men and is meant to attract men than it would be haram.

Well I disagree about one thing. I don't thnk the only reason a women wears makeup is to be attractive to the opposite sex. Being in the business world before I was Muslim, I wore makeup and clothing that made me feel confident and professional. My goal was to be taken as seriously as a man and I presented myself accordingly. I always wore suit jackets and slacks, never skirts or anything that in any way would be considered sexy.

It doesnt matter if it's a lot or a little. The only makeup that is halal is Eye liner, according to Sistani and that is only if it does not and is not meant to attract men!

well, there are degrees. a girl who wears a little lip gloss is still committing a sin, but there is a big difference between wearing a light lip gloss and wearing twelve different bright colors all over your face which shout out "makeup! hey everyone, i'm wearing make-up! want to see my make-up?" they are both impermissible, but the second one is an insult to the idea of hijab.

Well I disagree about one thing. I don't thnk the only reason a women wears makeup is to be attractive to the opposite sex. Being in the business world before I was Muslim, I wore makeup and clothing that made me feel confident and professional. My goal was to be taken as seriously as a man and I presented myself accordingly. I always wore suit jackets and slacks, never skirts or anything that in any way would be considered sexy.

so people who don’t wear make-up don’t look "professional" :huh: lol no offence but I see it as the opposite actually ;)

Who cares about what reason one would wear it when it’s crystal clear that it’s not permissible in public anyway.

But then again, it depends on ones intention. If your intention is for the people then forget about the word halal in that issue.and if its for Allah then in what way r u trying to satisfy HIM through that? :huh:

oh and btw to be taken seriousely by men is not by decorating urself wich makes u be observed more as a female than a human being..if u get what i mean. the purpose of hijab is for women to be recognised/known/treated as humans rather than just females. "dhalika adna ayu-rafna fala yu'dhena"

and as veiled mentioned its the lack of knowledge that stops one from dressing and advertising hijab in the right and acceptable way... what a pity

This is for girls out there that wanna wear hijab but cant take that step of leaving the house without make up. Ive been there and so many others have too. Sure, the first time ul feel 'plain' like ur flaws are exposed but trust me do it for longer and you will find you have 'noor' in ur face that no make-up can ever imitate. If ur married its even easier cos all you should care about is what ur husband finds attractive and as long as you get gressed up for him at home, he will be so happy. If you have husband that likes you wearing make-up outside (i.e. not religious) try and cut a little make-up out at a time e.g. stop wearing lips stick , then concealer, then blush, then mascara, or whatever order or...whatever u think is right for you. Remember that we are here for Allah and not people..I have found that people who wear their hijab correctly become even more beautiful with time. And if ur not married, dont worry about make-up cos i know someone that who once told me when she cut out the make-up that Allah will reward her with an even better man cos she is pleasing Allah(SWT)..............and if logic doesnt appeal to you.....then il be perfectly blunt.....make-up with a headscarf looks awful! As does skinny jeans with a headscarf. Some clothes are made to be worn with hair....save it for ur man!....or a party with ur sisters! May Allah (SWT) fulfil all our desires, Inshallah.

so people who don’t wear make-up don’t look "professional" :huh: lol no offence but I see it as the opposite actually ;)

Who cares about what reason one would wear it when it’s crystal clear that it’s not permissible in public anyway.

But then again, it depends on ones intention. If your intention is for the people then forget about the word halal in that issue.and if its for Allah then in what way r u trying to satisfy HIM through that? :huh:

oh and btw to be taken seriousely by men is not by decorating urself wich makes u be observed more as a female than a human being..if u get what i mean. the purpose of hijab is for women to be recognised/known/treated as humans rather than just females. "dhalika adna ayu-rafna fala yu'dhena"

and as veiled mentioned its the lack of knowledge that stops one from dressing and advertising hijab in the right and acceptable way... what a pity

well in my profession it was the norm, and i guess you missed that I said this was before I became Muslim so I obviously wasn't wearing hajib, but I've always dressed very modestly even before becoming Muslim.

I think that we should be open to our sisters' choices about make up, when done in a halaal way. Sometimes, husbands like their wives to wear make up in the house, and sometimes women just enjoy beautifying themselves. I know I do- so I don't see a problem with wearing make up, when done within the boundaries of Islam.

Wasalaam

The initial question was 'why girls wear make up wiv hijab' i would have thought it obvious for all that we can wear make up in front of mahrams

Ah, my bad. I think I was thrown off and the thoughts in my head got a little jumbled.

The reason why women wear makeup with hijab may just be that it's not easy to wear hijab, and some women take their time before they fully embrace all that hijab stands for. Insha'Allah Allah will make things easy for them.

Overlooking of sins...

Wasalaam

This is for girls out there that wanna wear hijab but cant take that step of leaving the house without make up. Ive been there and so many others have too. Sure, the first time ul feel 'plain' like ur flaws are exposed but trust me do it for longer and you will find you have 'noor' in ur face that no make-up can ever imitate. If ur married its even easier cos all you should care about is what ur husband finds attractive and as long as you get gressed up for him at home, he will be so happy. If you have husband that likes you wearing make-up outside (i.e. not religious) try and cut a little make-up out at a time e.g. stop wearing lips stick , then concealer, then blush, then mascara, or whatever order or...whatever u think is right for you. Remember that we are here for Allah and not people..I have found that people who wear their hijab correctly become even more beautiful with time. And if ur not married, dont worry about make-up cos i know someone that who once told me when she cut out the make-up that Allah will reward her with an even better man cos she is pleasing Allah(SWT)..............and if logic doesnt appeal to you.....then il be perfectly blunt.....make-up with a headscarf looks awful! As does skinny jeans with a headscarf. Some clothes are made to be worn with hair....save it for ur man!....or a party with ur sisters! May Allah (SWT) fulfil all our desires, Inshallah.

SO well said sis MashaAllah...:)

Ah, my bad. I think I was thrown off and the thoughts in my head got a little jumbled.

The reason why women wear makeup with hijab may just be that it's not easy to wear hijab, and some women take their time before they fully embrace all that hijab stands for. Insha'Allah Allah will make things easy for them.

Overlooking of sins...

Wasalaam

That was my fault sis, I took it a little off topic when I stated I don't think all women who wear make up do it to be attractive to men as someone had implied. I wear eye makeup (no eye shadow) and lip gloss now, that is all. And quite honestly, even before I was Muslim when I wore more makeup, it was not to attract men. I have always been quite the rebel in that respect. If a man doesn't like me for my heart, but is more interested in my looks, then I'm not really interested in him. For me, makeup made me feel more confident, I wore it for me. Just as if you see a pretty head scarf and you prefer to wear it over something drab or worn. Why not just wear the ugliest clothes you can find if you have perfected your hijab so much?

But I agree with you sis, I feel that many of the sisters who have always been Muslim or have been Muslim for a very long time sometimes forget that for us reverts it is not an overnight process to snap ones fingers and automatically become the perfect Muslim. It is a process. Hijab is one of my tribulations, and though I know it shouldn't matter, it is because I am the only Muslim here. And while hijab in many areas makes a woman less noticeable/attractive, here it will make me the center of attention and that is one of my fears. I once had to give a speech in college with a Senator and I was so nervous I don't even remember it. That's how much I hate being the center of attention. But I have been doing better and Insha Allah I will overcome my fear and perfect hijab to the best of my abilities.

But sisters, it is not helpful for you to sit in judgment of those who want to do the right thing but struggle with it. Your support would be much more sisterly. I am sure we all have our weak areas that need improvement.

Edited by Asha

That was my fault sis, I took it a little off topic when I stated I don't think all women who wear make up do it to be attractive to men as someone had implied. I wear eye makeup (no eye shadow) and lip gloss now, that is all. And quite honestly, even before I was Muslim when I wore more makeup, it was not to attract men. I have always been quite the rebel in that respect. If a man doesn't like me for my heart, but is more interested in my looks, then I'm not really interested in him. For me, makeup made me feel more confident, I wore it for me. Just as if you see a pretty head scarf and you prefer to wear it over something drab or worn. Why not just wear the ugliest clothes you can find if you have perfected your hijab so much?

But I agree with you sis, I feel that many of the sisters who have always been Muslim or have been Muslim for a very long time sometimes forget that for us reverts it is not an overnight process to snap ones fingers and automatically become the perfect Muslim. It is a process. Hijab is one of my tribulations, and though I know it shouldn't matter, it is because I am the only Muslim here. And while hijab in many areas makes a woman less noticeable/attractive, here it will make me the center of attention and that is one of my fears. I once had to give a speech in college with a Senator and I was so nervous I don't even remember it. That's how much I hate being the center of attention. But I have been doing better and Insha Allah I will overcome my fear and perfect hijab to the best of my abilities.

But sisters, it is not helpful for you to sit in judgment of those who want to do the right thing but struggle with it. Your support would be much more sisterly. I am sure we all have our weak areas that need improvement.

Even though I was born a muslim, I feel like a revert. Hijab was a slow process for me too but i look back and think to myself why i didnt do it when i shouldve. I do understand what ur saying about professionalism. I never wore indecent clothes before i put on the hijab (morals run high in my family). I decided to wear the scarf, then more hijabic clothes, and then cut out the make-up. When i first put on scarf, i didnt even think about the make-up but one day i was discussing it wth someone and they showed me the text on it, so I made an effort to stop. Now its fine. I feel like there is noor in my face. Other people have found this noor too when they stopped wearing the make-up. I go to the same job, work thinks I look a little tired but i know its just cos im not wearing make-up. I work a professional job and it hasnt affected me at all, infact its stopped jealousy and its actually good for my job. I used to have a lot of problems before i wore the hijab. Now I can actually go out in the dullest scarf and not feel out of place at all....It just takes a little time. One step forward is better than no step at all. Aim to be better 2moro than u were today.

Edited by Veiled

Even though I was born a muslim, I feel like a revert. Hijab was a slow process for me too but i look back and think to myself why i didnt do it when i shouldve. I do understand what ur saying about professionalism. I never wore indecent clothes before i put on the hijab (morals run high in my family). I decided to wear the scarf, then more hijabic clothes, and then cut out the make-up. When i first put on scarf, i didnt even think about the make-up but one day i was discussing it wth someone and they showed me the text on it, so I made an effort to stop. Now its fine. I feel like there is noor in my face. Other people have found this noor too when they stopped wearing the make-up. I go to the same job, work thinks I look a little tired but i know its just cos im not wearing make-up. I work a professional job and it hasnt affected me at all, infact its stopped jealousy and its actually good for my job. I used to have a lot of problems before i wore the hijab. Now I can actually go out in the dullest scarf and not feel out of place at all....It just takes a little time. One step forward is better than no step at all. Aim to be better 2moro than u were today.

interesting points.

Letting go of make-up is a slow and painful process.. its like removig th dirt of dunya from your face.. inshaAllah..

how beautiful hijab is.. and how multilayered.. multicontextual..

I remebber when I stopped plucking eyeborws, which is almost a 'necessity' among majority of 'born Muslims' of the subcontinent..it makes my face feel so much better.. and purer as you said sis..

BTW, why do so called 'born Muslims' always make it a point to annoucne that? NO one knows who is Muslim at heart but Allah SWT.. we all strive..and at one level, everyone is 'born Muslim'..

I have learnt more about real Islam away from the cultural baggage of 'born Muslims'.. many of whom do not observe HIjaab, especially in India/Pakistan..

May Allah SWt grant us the taufeeq to be kinder and increase our understanding of hijaab.. Ameen..

Edited by lfatima

The reason why a lot of girls do not wear their hijab correctly is lack of knowledge and understanding. People are too scared to tell people how to wear hijab because they dont want to seem like a extremist. We need young speakers to talk about how to wear hijab. Peer pressure doesnt help. I feel sorry for girls that think they need to wear make-up to attract men but the reality is when they see muslim brothers hanging out with non-hijabis, a teenager is going to feel insecure and pressured that they need to keep up with 'trash' and that means that they end up dressing like trash but with a head scarf. Its not theyr fault 100%. Its societies fault. OUR society.

So the answer could be:

1)lack of knowledge

2) peer pressure

3) Wanna get married (it sound like a lame excuse but its true)

4) might have defects on the face (but i think ur referring to a girl who was using make-up for beautification purposes)

5) lacks self confidence

Im sure theres more but the only valid reason is lack of knowledge

SO true.

Getting rid of make up does oodles for self confidence.. :) its so amazing.. Alhamduillah.. we are not trapped by man made institutions.. and the whoel 'trap' of marriage.. is a snare to seduce us away from hijaab.. IN South Asia.. its like girls are taught be clever and manipulative and use looks... coz her socio-economic survival depends on a man and their "in laws'/ sasural..:(

As Imam Ali a.s... a women getting rid of jealousy and learning true hijaab.. is the true quest for us sisters.. inshaAllah..

Islam liberates us from that.. and gives us to the true marriage..Alhamulillah..The day we stop living to earn the pleasure of a man.. and work to eanring the pleasure of Allah SWT... our lives will be tanformed..but the raod is hard.. and getting rid of cultural baggae.. Eastern or Western.. harder too..

But InshaAllah we will strive on..

May Allah SWT give us the strength to understand the Truth.. Ameen..

Peace!

well in my profession it was the norm, and i guess you missed that I said this was before I became Muslim so I obviously wasn't wearing hajib, but I've always dressed very modestly even before becoming Muslim.

alhamdulellah sis :) that u dress modestly

sorry for not recognising that above in ur post for some reason

Isn't it always that way sis? I often look back at my life and think how silly I was about this or that or ask myself why I allowed negative things to upset me so much, thus giving it control.

My area is very backwoods, and even more so in how women are treated, especially in the business world. In my last position, I was making half the money that the men that came to me for guidance were making. I had the senority, the most knowledge, and nothing came in or out of the business without my approval. Yet still, I was not treated fairly in any respect and I am certain it was because I am female. And this was not an isolated incident in my work history. I think because of this I became hyperattentive to doing everything I could to prove my value as I felt I had to be twice as good as the men to be treated half as fairly. Perhaps wearing makeup really wasn't a point of contention, but at the time I felt it was. Now in hindsight, I am not so sure that it mattered much.

Today, makeup is not really an issue with me unless one would consider chap stick unislamic? :unsure: But I am addicted to having something on my lips. My lips feel very dry and I am constantly licking them (which is embarrassing) if don't have something on to keep them moist. Even when I wake up in the middle of the night, I put on some chap stick. Perhaps having extraordinarily dry lips is a side effect from all the medication I take?

Wearing the hijab itself is what I struggle the most with, but thanks to sis Smiley I am now getting better at putting it on and I have been wearing it more and more. And as my financial situation allows, I intend to buy more hijabic clothing (I already have a wish list....LOL). I am improving, praise Allah, and that is largely to do with the support I have received from various sisters on ShiaChat (I have no local support). So thank you sis for your support as it makes a big difference in at least one person's life......that would be ME! LOL :)

Edited by Asha

BTW, why do so called 'born Muslims' always make it a point to annoucne that? NO one knows who is Muslim at heart but Allah SWT.. we all strive..and at one level, everyone is 'born Muslim'..

I have learnt more about real Islam away from the cultural baggage of 'born Muslims'.. many of whom do not observe HIjaab, especially in India/Pakistan..

May Allah SWt grant us the taufeeq to be kinder and increase our understanding of hijaab.. Ameen..

Salaam :)

True sis, we are all born Muslims, though some of us don't realize it and are not enlightened to it at an early age. There is not a Mosque in my entire county, yet still at the age of six (being raised Catholic) I had a revelation that the trinity was false. I don't think I had the wisdom at that time to figure that out and as I was not around any Muslims, no one influenced me, so I feel Allah put it in my heart, which opened my mind to later start searching for the truth. When I think of all the things that had to happen for me to be introduced to Islam it is quite miraculous.

(salam) Wellll, instead of letting go of makeup - I am starting to use it more as I think it makes me look better and I think I am taken more seriously.. My eyelashes are a little light and with mascara my eyes stand out more, most sisters already have dark eyelashes naturally and so I think I look more natural, if that makes sense. Also, I like lip gloss, but I dont wear face makeup or colours.

Salaam sis :)

I know what you mean. Being a natural blonde my eyelashes are almost invisible. Even with mascara, my lashes aren't as dark as most people's naturally are. But one benefit to this is I have never had to pluck my eyebrows. ;)

Edited by Asha

The day we stop living to earn the pleasure of a man.. and work to eanring the pleasure of Allah SWT... our lives will be tanformed..but the raod is hard.. and getting rid of cultural baggae.. Eastern or Western.. harder too..

But InshaAllah we will strive on..

May Allah SWT give us the strength to understand the Truth.. Ameen..

Peace!

Well said my dear sis! :wub:

alhamdulellah sis :) that u dress modestly

sorry for not recognising that above in ur post for some reason

that's ok sis, all is good :)

many blessings your way...