Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
lfatima

The Kite Runner

Rate this topic

I do remain confused about one thing though. Is he Shia, Sunni or Atheist? What exactly is he. I assume from his story bias he may be a Shia, but I also know people that tell me he is Atheist. What is it?

Sunni.

The movie does not even come close to the depth of the book. There are some instances where i actually felt like the book was litterly being played out on screen, but there were many other instances where the movie simply failed to captive the viewer as the book had.

For example, when Hassan and his "father" were leaving the house after Amir tried to frame Hassan, Amir's father was extremely emotional and was protesting for them to stay. The movie failed in reproducing the emotion. In fact, this was one of the most touching scenes in the book and its unfortunate the director did not put more effort into translating the significance and emotion of that incident.

i would give the movie 7/10. It could have been much much better. The book was an oscar winning film waiting to happen, but felt short of it's potential. Acting was pretty good. Amir's father did an amazing job, as did the kid playing Hassan.

Yeah... but you have to remember it can't be too long... I only wish they could show every detail of the book... the actors did a great job showing emotion though..

Do you have further evidence? I doubt he is Sunni. I read an interview transcript a few weeks ago. It said he didn't support the Sunni view. I'm unsure of it.

I odn't really think you'd find a Shia named Khaled. :unsure:

I odn't really think you'd find a Shia named Khaled. :unsure:

Names don't matter bro. Hearts do. What if he was a convert to Shia Islam.

Oh, and actually I know some Pakistani/Afghani Shia's with the name Khalid.

It doesn't matter what he is...its still a great book :D

I understand it's not relevant. I couldn't care less if he was Shia or Sunni, but there have been mixed ideas about his faith and I'm curious what he is. I simply want to know the truth.

Oh, and often times you see a lot of people research the author's background, ethnic and religion before they read a book to better identify the bias contained in the stories. So that may be important.

He showed slight sorrow after finding out Hassan had passed away when he was much older…as I had expressed in my previous post.

He would annoy Hassan to gain the annoyance from Hassan’s reaction – however, Hassan had never given a reaction rather patience.

Amir, by no means illustrated thankfulness, care nor love towards Hassan rather treated him as a slave. I would surely call Amir heartless without hesitation.

As of yet, I still haven’t seen the movie. Nevertheless, I reiterate, Amir was heartless and proved no emotions whatsoever until he was much older and married.

Amir was NOT heartless, he was a child who was traumatised by what he saw, so much that he went into denial and tried to pretend it never happened. He subconsciously decided that it would be better to sever ties with Hassan rather than have to deal with the issue of peering into the alley. Many people deal with traumas in this way.

If the author wanted to depict him as heartless then he would not have made him into a loving husband as an adult and don't forget that he not only made right his own wrongs but the wrongs of his father by rescuing his nephew....ultimately he was a hero, not aa heartless person.

Now thats off my chest, lol I'll add that i loved the film, it was compelling, serene and disturbing, beautiful and sinister all in one. Hosseini did well and I liked his cameo appearance at the end.

I've just got hold of the book, will read it, by skimming through I've concluded that theres much more depth in the book than the film and I've also ordered a Thousand Splendid Suns aswell, can't wait to read that!!

(salam)

Edited by Batool

I watched the movie just a few days ago...

I think it did a little more justice to the book than other movies do (like Harry Potter, Series of Unfortunate Event... etc.)

the director did an amazing job and so did the actors. And i love the fact that almost all of the movie Farsi/Pushto! It really added to effect.

I often wonder why it's always Afghanistan. Much worse is still happening in Iraq at this very moment. Yet I don't see the "western" Shias troubling their hands. Man, If I had a talent for writing I would be raining books . .

InshaAllah, bro! I also wish that there were more books on Iraq -_- I think you're going to love Mayada by Jean Sasson.

Its a true story about a lady who was imprisoned in Saddam's jail...

A Thousand Splendid Suns is twice better then Kite Runner. Trust me ;). I actually cried when the story reached its conclusion. Poor Maryam :(.

Edited by Kaka Sahib

(bismillah) (salam)

I know I am late, really late..But..

I read it in one day... God what a book, it's depressing as heck and has way too many deaths, but there is one part that makes up for it.

"For you, a thousand times over". Damn that is powerful..

Edited by ShiaSoldier@2007

I am still wondering if Khaled Hosseni is shia or sunni :blush: :blush:

Not that it matters in the movie's message nonetheless I have not seen sunnis with this last name. Aside from the boys (in the movie) names are Ali and Hassan, the main factor letting me think he's a Shia is because the movie gave the worse image about the Sunni (leaders) dictatorship, long bearded, short dishdasha. The majority who were impacted by these "Muslim" leaders in Afghanistan were the Shiaas and hence my suspicion seems logical.

I enjoyed the novel a lot more then the movie, of course it's always vigorous to compare a book to the movie adaptation. From reading the book, you get so much more from the characters.

"A thousand Splendid Suns" was also another magnificent read, I had a box of tissues next to me.

Not that it matters in the movie's message nonetheless I have not seen sunnis with this last name. Aside from the boys (in the movie) names are Ali and Hassan, the main factor letting me think he's a Shia is because the movie gave the worse image about the Sunni (leaders) dictatorship, long bearded, short dishdasha. The majority who were impacted by these "Muslim" leaders in Afghanistan were the Shiaas and hence my suspicion seems logical.

I have seen plenty of Sunnis with surname "Hosseini" but I have not known a Shi'i with the first name "Khaled".

Sunnis with surnames and names resembling Shia's are found in abundance in Afghanistan and Pakistan so it is not a surprise.

So far as I know, the guy is a Sunni but a fair person who is not blinded by his sectarian affiliations. It is for this reason he reminds us many times of the plight of Shia Hazara in Afghanistan in "The Kiterunner."

"A thousand Splendid Suns" was also another magnificent read, I had a box of tissues next to me.

Innit :cry:

The only book that ever made me cry :cry: I didn't like the Kite Runner movie at all. It didn't do justice to the book!

I read the book and later saw the movie and think they are both terrific and I also read the second book and think it is terrific as well. What he is or is not doesn't matter to me.

I didn't like the whole "bache bazi" [Edited Out] they brought out of nowhere.

IMHO, rather than using the emphasis of attacking the Taliban, for me it seemed like the portrayal of this film was mostly an attack on Pashtuns (not the Taliban).

Bache bazi is practiced by Afghans of all backgrounds (Tajiks, Uzbeks, Pashtuns, etc. etc.)

These films are not really helping Afghanistan.

Individuals like Khaled Hosseini are only going to add more fuel to the fire when it comes to these ethnic groups.

It's already as bad as is with the Pashtun majority having tensions with the minorities, but lets not make it any worse!

Shiaben

I don't understand how you can say those things. The "bache bazi" was in the book and it is in the movie it wasn't brought out of nowhere. It's a novel and the author put it in there and it is real. A novel is fiction not a commentary in which he is obligated to cite all the tribes, sect whatever that indulge in the filthy practice. Fortunately the author lives in America and he can write what he pleases. Instead of wanting to cast the blame for the tensions you mentioned direct it where in belongs with the crazy mullahs who use Friday prayers to spout their venom.

You have gone too far with this one and you didn't even condemn "bache bazi", that is astonishing. You condemn homosexuals but you have no problem with old men getting their jollies off on young boys and destroying their lives, absolutely unbelievable. Do you think these old perverts are pedophiles?

I am not attacking Islam but I certainly am attacking what some Muslims do.

Shiaben

I don't understand how you can say those things. The "bache bazi" was in the book and it is in the movie it wasn't brought out of nowhere. It's a novel and the author put it in there and it is real. A novel is fiction not a commentary in which he is obligated to cite all the tribes, sect whatever that indulge in the filthy practice. Fortunately the author lives in America and he can write what he pleases. Instead of wanting to cast the blame for the tensions you mentioned direct it where in belongs with the crazy mullahs who use Friday prayers to spout their venom.

You have gone too far with this one and you didn't even condemn "bache bazi", that is astonishing. You condemn homosexuals but you have no problem with old men getting their jollies off on young boys and destroying their lives, absolutely unbelievable. Do you think these old perverts are pedophiles?

I am not attacking Islam but I certainly am attacking what some Muslims do.

1. I am against bache bazi.

2. What gives you the right to generalize every single mullah as being evil?

3. Don't try to distort to my statements.

4. These acts are found globally and I condemn anyone who commits such acts.