Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Do U Wear The Jubbah / Jilbaab / Manteau ?

Rate this topic

Mahdiyah

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I'm more of a supporter of abaya style. By abaya I mean a simple dress-like cloth which doesn't have any buttons as jilbab has. But it covers like jilbab...

I also like skirt + long tunic style. It's difficult to find decent tunic shirts in normal shops so I have started to sew my own tunics. It's cheaper and I get what I want. I have become a real sewing maniac lately! Always I must go and buy new fabrics, LOL! :)

• 1 month later...

(salam)

i think it's great that so many sisters have the strength to wear hijab in difficult circumstances

as we know, scholars do not say one style is "necessary"... like an abayah is ok or a jilbab or whatever... as long as it fulfills the hijab requirements (loose, covers skin, etc)

however... i know nowdays in iran they sell a lot of really short "manteaus"... but, traditionally speaking, a "jilbab" or "manteau" refers to something that is much more covering than just to the thigh (or even knee)... such as a garment that goes to the feet or at least covers most of the legs... covering to the thigh still leaves a lot of a person exposed, so it is not really any different than wearing a shirt or other type of slightly long jacket. and so if someone is concerned about fulfilling the "best" hijab (and usually people who wear jilbabs are concerned about that), it is good to cover much more than just the thigh or knee

for instance, i don't think we would see a picture of hazrat fatimah (saa) or bibi maryam wearing pants and a thigh length "manteau"... it doesn't go with the ideal of the best hijab

i am not saying it is NOT hijab, because everyone is shaped different, and some garments are appropriate for some people and not for others... but just that it is not the ideal

nor am i saying that i always wear "the best" hijab, especially nowdays... however, i try to be conscious of it when i am not wearing "really good" hijab and avoid representing myself as wearing really good hijab at times when it could be improved.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

(salam)

however... i know nowdays in iran they sell a lot of really short "manteaus"... but, traditionally speaking, a "jilbab" or "manteau" refers to something that is much more covering than just to the thigh (or even knee)... such as a garment that goes to the feet or at least covers most of the legs... covering to the thigh still leaves a lot of a person exposed, so it is not really any different than wearing a shirt or other type of slightly long jacket. and so if someone is concerned about fulfilling the "best" hijab (and usually people who wear jilbabs are concerned about that), it is good to cover much more than just the thigh or knee

for instance, i don't think we would see a picture of hazrat fatimah (saa) or bibi maryam wearing pants and a thigh length "manteau"... it doesn't go with the ideal of the best hijab

i am not saying it is NOT hijab, because everyone is shaped different, and some garments are appropriate for some people and not for others... but just that it is not the ideal

nor am i saying that i always wear "the best" hijab, especially nowdays... however, i try to be conscious of it when i am not wearing "really good" hijab and avoid representing myself as wearing really good hijab at times when it could be improved.

^^Totally understand what you mean sis and I agree with you. Alhamduliah i wear the manteau up to the feet and in the worst case scenario i wear the ones up to the knee with a skirt (all very loose of course). May Allah(swt) guide us all on the path of sayedtuna Fatima (as).

Wa'salam~

Edited by Ya AhlulBayt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...