Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
nada1603

Forbidden Acts On The 10th Of Muharram

Rate this topic

(salam)

As I was browsing the internet for Ashur amals, I came across this one page talking about the significance of Ashura.

Now as a Shi'a, I have quite differing views from that which are talked about on this page and it is my assumption that this is a Sunni point of view (and I might be wrong). First thing that caught my eyes was the title: Fast on the day of Ashura. I'm hoping my brethren will agree with me that it is not a fast that is observed on the day of Ashura, which is seen as an event of gratitutude, but a faqa which ends at the time of Asr and not Maghrib.

For ease of access, I'm going to paste the article here:

The Fast of 'Ashura (The 10th of Muharram)

Al-hamdulillah, Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala has blessed us to see another year. The first month of this year is Muharram. In this month is an excellent day?the day of 'Ashura?which falls on the 10th of Muharram. The Most Beloved Nabi Salla Allahu ta'ala 'alayhi wa 'aalihi wa Sallam recommended that we fast on this day, by his Sunnah. He also indicated how we should observe the fast of 'Ashura

Hadrat Mu'awiyah ibn Abu Sufyan Radi allahu ta'ala 'anhu relates: I heard the Beloved Messenger of Allah Salla Allahu ta'ala 'alayhi wa 'aalihi wa Sallam say: "It is the day of 'Ashura. Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala has not made fasting obligatory for you. But I am fasting. He who likes to observe fast among you should do so, and he who likes not to observe it (does not have to) observe it." [sahih Muslim]

Abu Qatada Radi allahu 'anhu relates that the Beloved Nabi Salla Allahu ta'ala alayhi wa 'aalihi wa Sallam said that the fast on the 10th of Muharram atones for the sins of the preceding year. [sahih Muslim]

Abu Huraira Radi allahu 'anhu) reports that the Beloved Nabi Salla Allahu ta'ala 'alayhi wa 'aalihi wa Sallam said that after Ramadan, the fasts of Muharram have the greatest excellence. [sahih Muslim]

Hakam ibn Al-Arat Radi allahu 'anhu relates: I went to Hadrat Ibn Abbas Radi allahu ta'ala 'anhu? I said to him: Tell me about fasting on ?Ashura. He said, "When you seen the new moon of Muharram count the (days) and (begin to) observe fast on the 9th." I said to him: "Is it how the Beloved Messenger of Allah Sall Allahu ta'ala 'alayhi wa 'aalihi wa Sallam observed the fast?" He said, "Yes." [sahih Muslim]

Hadrat Ibn Abbas Radi allahu ta'ala 'anhu relates that when the Beloved Nabi Salla Allahu ta'ala 'alayhi wa 'aalihi wa Sallam said: "If I survive till next year, I will definitely observe fast on the 9th of Muharram (as well)." [sahih Muslim]

(Note: What the Beloved Nabi Salla Allahu ta'ala alayhi wa 'aalihi wa Sallam meant was that he would also fast on the 9th as well as the 10th to which he was accustomed. We also should try fasting on the 9th & the 10th of Muharram.)

Recommended Acts

Here are some activities that are recommended for the day of Ashura:

1. To observe fast on this day.

2. To give as much charity as you can afford.

3. To perform Nafl Salat prayers.

4. To recite Surah Ikhlas 1000 times.

5. To visit and be in the company of pious Ulema.

6. To place a hand of affection on an orphan's head.

7. To give generously to one's relatives.

8. To put surma in one's eyes.

9. To take a bath.

10. To cut one's nails.

11. To visit the sick.

12. To establish friendly ties with one's enemies.

13. To recite Dua-e-'Ashura

14. To visit the shrines of Awliyas and the graves of Muslims.

I'm pretty sure taking a bath and cutting one's nails isn't advised on Ashura, in fact most people forego their daily rituals (having bathed the night before to prepare for the night amals) and even walk barefoot. The following is what really irked me:

Forbidden acts on the 10th:

It is absolutely clear that the significance of the day of 'Ashura is from the time of the Beloved Prophet Salla Allahu ta'ala 'alayhi wa 'aalihi wa Sallam. However, many people regard this day, as the day of mourning the martyrdom of Hadrat Imam Husayn Radi Allahu ta'ala anhu. The martyrdom of Hadrat Husayn Radi Allahu ta'ala anhu was indeed a great tragedy but Islaam is not a religion of perpetual mourning. Abu Saeed Radi Allahu anhu relates that Sayyadina Rasullullah Salla Allahu ta'ala 'alayhi wa 'aalihi wa Sallam has cursed mourners and those who listen to them (attentively). (Abu Dawood)

The pages of Islamic History are filled with the blood of the martyrs. Should we begin to mourn the martyrdom of the Sahabah-e-Kiram Radi Allahu ta'ala anhum alone, every other day would be a day of mourning. Thus, to attribute the significance of 'Ashura to the martyrdom of Hadrat Husayn Radi Allahu ta'ala anhu is baseless. Therefore, the host of baseless customs with regard to his martyrdom must be discarded.

Shaykh Abd al-Haqq Muhaddith Dehlawi Radi Allahu anhu writes: Beware! Do not participate in the innovations of the Rawaafidh [extreme shi'ah sect]. Do not involve yourself in the mourning, lamenting and displaying grief. This is not the conduct of the Muslims. If mourning was permissible then the day of the demise of Sayyadina Rasulullah Salla Allahu ta'ala 'alayhi wa 'aalihi wa Sallam would have been more worthy for (mourning and lamenting). Also, refrain from innovations of the Khawaarij (those who harbour hatred for the family of Rasullullah Salla Allahu ta'ala 'alayhi wa 'aalihi wa Sallam. Similarly, refrain from the innovations of the ignorant because they oppose ruin with destruction, innovations with innovations and evil with sin and show great joy and happiness in it. They regard the tenth of Muharram as the day of Eid. They indulge in adornment and dying of the hair and beard, applying surmah (collyrium), wearing new clothes, spending lavishly, and cooking various foods and khitchra (a certain type of food) which are not generally prepared. All these actions are regarded as sunnah according to their belief, where as the true sunnah is to shun all these useless practices, since no authentic narration sanctioning and permitting such actions can be found. (Ma thabata bis sunnah Page 20-21)

Shaykh Abdul Haqq Radi Allahu anhu further writes a detailed list of the various beliefs about the significance of the day of 'Ashura; many of them being quoted even in our time; and concludes by saying: "All the above are fabrications." (Ma thabata bis sunnah Page 21)

Let us observe this great day according to the way of Sayyadina Rasulullah Salla Allahu ta'ala 'alayhi wa 'aalihi wa Sallam and the Noble Sahabah Radi Allahu ta'ala anhum and refrain from all innovations which deprive us of the blessings from Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala.

Link: http://www.islam786.org/muharram.htm

---

It isn't my intention to raise an issue which has been more than trampled into the ground many a times before. I would really appreciate the views of both the Shi'a and the Sunnis on the article in the pursuit of increasing my own knowledge and undestanding of our differences and similarities. Because for me and I'm sure many Muslims worldwide, Ashur is the ultimate day of mourning and to see this fact negated confuses me. I don't understand why anyone would refute the true significance of the 10th, which is the Martyrdom of Imam Hussein (as) and his family and friends.

(salam)

And lastly here is a point to ponder for the Muslims: The Prophet (s.a.w.) was sent with a religion to abrogate all previous religions and shari'ah. How was it that he deigned to imitate the custom of the Jews?

Read this: http://www.al-islam.org/al-serat/fastofashura.htm

Edited by Ali_Imran

Recommended Acts

Here are some activities that are recommended for the day of Ashura:

1. To observe fast on this day.

2. To give as much charity as you can afford.

3. To perform Nafl Salat prayers.

4. To recite Surah Ikhlas 1000 times.

5. To visit and be in the company of pious Ulema.

6. To place a hand of affection on an orphan's head.

7. To give generously to one's relatives.

8. To put surma in one's eyes.

9. To take a bath.

10. To cut one's nails.

11. To visit the sick.

12. To establish friendly ties with one's enemies.

13. To recite Dua-e-'Ashura

14. To visit the shrines of Awliyas and the graves of Muslims.

I'm pretty sure taking a bath and cutting one's nails isn't advised on Ashura, in fact most people forego their daily rituals (having bathed the night before to prepare for the night amals) and even walk barefoot. The following is what really irked me:

actually, there is a mustahhab ghusl that is recommended on the day of ashura

so we do many of these: #3, #5, #9, occasionally #12 at majlis lol, #13 in the sense that we have du'as to read, and definitely #14 in terms of the shrines of the imams. many also offer #2 in terms of offering food to the poor, and our a'mal are like #4. #6 and #7 are definitely not bad!

Salam.

The hadeeth that the Sunnis regard as "sahih" about why the Prophet (pbuh) decided to fast on Ashura is a DISGRACE to the PROPHETHOOD.

Why would the Prophet of ISLAM listen to a JEW and IMITATE HIS SUNNAH (the Jew's).. ARE YOU FREAKING CRAZY?? God has given us humans a brain, USE IT!

If the Prophet (pbuh) took on a jew's customs in the fashion the hadeeth describes, just like that, then that would mean Judaism is not an altered religion, which would again nullify the point of his prophethood.

But some people don't think that far. Sadly, they believe in bani ummayas fabrications and do not dare to oppose them, even if common sense compels them to.

it's frustrating, but that's how the world is.