Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
SoRoUsH

Is Offensive Jihad Permitted In Islam?

Rate this topic

to my knowledge, in the shia school of thought, offensive jihad is only permissible under the leadership of the true imam (in this case, imam mahdi, who is not with us) so it is not permissible until he comes back and then he may lead it. but we can and should wage defensive jihad if we are attacked or to stand up for other people who are being attacked.

Edited by BintAlHoda

to my knowledge, in the shia school of thought, offensive jihad is only permissible under the leadership of the true imam (in this case, imam mahdi, who is not with us) so it is not permissible until he comes back and then he may lead it. but we can and should wage defensive jihad if we are attacked or to stand up for other people who are being attacked.

^^^^ Very well elaborated!

(bismillah)

(salam)

from what I understand, what BintalHoda said is exactly right. I just want to add that in a way it is not really an "offensive" jihad, because it can only be waged against a government which is oppressing its people, so it is waged in defense of an oppressed people. Shaheed Mutahhari (ra) talks about it in his book 'Jihad.' From what I remember an offensive jihad is lead by a Masum when a government is keeping its people from learning about Islam, and barring Muslims from entering a state in order to educate its people. Hence, the government is then attacked because they are depriving the people of their right to learn.

Thank you for the replies...

Four more Questions...

First, none of Imam Ali's (as) wars were offensive, correct?

Second, I assume since after Imam Hassan (as), none of our infallibles became caliphs, none of our Imams (pbut) led any offensive jihads, correct?

Third, could one declare jihad to conqeuere lands?

Fourth, was Islamic expansion (under the first caliphs), Islamically illegal? (since it was offensive and in order to conquere lands)

Thank you

Edited by SoRoUsH

OF course it depends on the situation. Say you are being invaded, then you push the invaders back. But then you know they are regrouping to attack again. No sane military wise person would just push the enemy back, but also make sure they don't regroup. Some things are way to simple to make it as complex as certain people do.

God gave you a brain for a reason, if someone attacks you with a knife and you disable him, and you see him running back for more knifes, you are fully right to whoop his but before he does so. Hence being offensive.

Salaam

Rationally speaking its better to attack than not react sometimes but as far as fatwa's or statements of scholars go I can remmemver Ayatollah Baghdadi talking about rading the world in the name of Islam however I don't think any mainstream Ayatollah or religious authority has the same view mainly because they don't think that a legitimate Islamic state or empire exists so the question in this day and age doesn't even arise. If a muslim country ever does initiate a war it could never be in the name of Islam becuase the muslim country would have to implement Islam and be a legitimate Waliyah e faqih or Islamic State.