Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
SoRoUsH

Is It Sinful For Women To Work If...

Rate this topic

(salam)

the sin is not the work itself

the sin comes from the type of environement she puts herself in where she becomes a sex object by displaying herself to every man,

and the sin comes from abandoning her role,

if she can work without abandoning her role at home and without revealing her self to a million men then work is jihad and praised.

(salam)

the verse clearly says :

stay at your homes and do not decorate the decoration of the old ignorance

dont try to turn our women into public properties by your anti islamic propaganda.

if you are public properties and happy with it,,, stop wishing it for others. because some people want to practice thier normal roles as females,

nothgin wrong with working without displaying yourself. but becoming a secretery or whatever is a displaying of yourself and humiliation and making yourself a public property.

(salam)

If working was so "wrong" why would the act of gaining knowledge be an obligation on both men and women? What use is knowledge if you cannot use it or share it with others? And before someone jumps and says "Oh it's the Islamic knowledge that's obligatory" then let me clear that.

When Prophet (pbuh) was spreading His (pbuh) message He (pbuh) told the women to gain knowledge. A woman by the name of Leila was a healer in that time. She had the knowledge of medicine. She came to ask the Prophet (pbuh) if she could implement that knowledge. Prophet (pbuh) said, "Of course. If you have the knowledge implement it. Come and teach our women." And the first woman He (pbuh) asked Leila to cure was Hafsa bint Omar for ant bites. He (pbuh) told Leila to teach the women how to read and write since she had knowlodge of that as well.

Leila also held a position of public administration. So does that mean all her talents should've been wasted? or what she did was wrong?

There's nothing wrong with working as long as you don't compromise ur morals, ur values, ur religion.

Iltemas e Dua

the sin comes from the type of environement she puts herself in where she becomes a sex object by displaying herself to every man,

Pardon my naivety, but what in the world kind of jobs would a Muslima even apply for in which she would be a sex object or on display? :wacko:

(bismillah)

(salam)

No .it isn't haran for women. please don't change the meaning of holy hadith.ALL persons have right for their financial independence without thinking to sin in halal way.

Don't forget that: There isn't any differene between the value of life for woman and man." and don't forget that: If all of people want to ban the real freedom of a human, they never can do that, bcuz the real freedom and right for life is from Allah AND U NEVER CAN BAN Allah."

YA MAHDI

ELTEMASE DUA

fatemeh

(salam)

Keeping verse 33:33 in mind, is it sinful for a woman to work, if she's financially secure and does not need to work?

Are there verses and/or hadiths that show the women are permitted to work EVEN IF they are financially secure?

Thank you

A female's first and most important job is at the home. If her husband provides for her, so that she doesn't need to work, then alhamdulillah. But if she wants to work regardless of this fact, then it's up to her husband to decide. If he allows it then she is free to work, if not, then she's not.

so hijab is not good enough as a form of modesty to prevent being a "sex object"????

Putting on the hijab is only one step in modesty. And there are some men out there who find women in hijabs as "sex objects" I had one guy in my class say that if I wasn't such a sticker for waiting till marriage he'd want me for himself. I wore the hijab, I didn't wear revealing clothes but that didn't stop him from feeling that way.

^Lol.

That verse is addressed to the Prophet's wives. Can you provide any verse that is directed to all females rather than just the Prophet's wives?

"To the extent possible keep your wife or wives away from mixing with others. Nothing protects a woman better than the home."

Imam ali's Letter to Imam Hassan

Holy Prophet asked, "What things are better than any other for women?" No one answered. Imam Hasan, still a child, went home and asked what the answer was. Fatimah, peace be upon her, said, "That she sees no man and no man sees her."

This sexist, fundamentalist attitude that women are forbidden from working outside the home is exactly what makes people think that Islam is backwards. Islam practiced in this way is backwards.

Yes, from the point of view of western liberalism, Islam is sexist and backwards.

Why do you think we should care?

For us backwards is western liberalism. Backwards is Jerry springer hiphop Sex in the city culture

not the right of a man over his wife

if the husband lets her work, she can work

if he says No it means she cant work

not very difficult to understand

Edited by Rubaiyat

No, what's backwards is the attitude that we must never let our women see the light of day. Americans and the West are not defined by Jerry Springer, just as Muslims are not defined by Osama bin Laden. There's something to be said for personal responsibility-- on the part of men. YES, men have responsibility, too, they will have to answer for their own actions! A woman is doing her part by doing hijab, now the man must do his by not making her into a sex object. If she is observing proper hijab and still becoming a sex object, then the man is at fault. If a man wants a women who is observing proper hijab for marriage, then there is nothing wrong with that, unless if that leads him into doing haraam actions (like telling you that he wants to have intimate relations with you before marriage, as in the case that Pippin posted. I HOPE many men want to marry muhajibas without becoming creepy like the guy in Pippin's class, otherwise the muhajibas would never get married, all the men would marry non-muhajibas, and all their daughters would end up being non-muhajibas.)

^That's a hadith, so it is prone to error. Perhaps we should ask a marja first whether women can work or not, especially since this is a hadith.

Edited by BabyBeaverIsAKit

The Hadiths i posted are from a Marja

Ayatollah Mutahhari to be exact

We are not saying she cant see the day of light

we are saying her husband determines if she can work or not

If the woman wears hejab and is still looked at sexually there is something wrong with her hejab

not the wolf like attitude of men who constantly look at women..in every society not only muslim

wear a better hejab

a man cannot be aroused by a woman who fully covers herself

It is simply not attractive compared to the sea of women who walk around with tight jeans

Edited by Rubaiyat

(salam)

I personally feel that a Woman shud look after her household. But yea, if financial problems occur, than i feel she should work. I myself never thot i wud be working one day, but i dont work coz ienjoy working and its a modern world, but i work coz of some personal reasons.

I dont think a women should leave her house and work if she is financial settled.

^Like we said a hundred times, work is not only about money. Tell me, do I have an IQ of over 140 in order to be a freaking housewife? God gave me the ability to understand difficult medical concepts and carry out medical research so I could fold the towels mathematically perfect and bake a cake just right? Or does the world NEED FEMALE DOCTORS????

^Like we said a hundred times, work is not only about money. Tell me, do I have an IQ of over 140 in order to be a freaking housewife? God gave me the ability to understand difficult medical concepts and carry out medical research so I could fold the towels mathematically perfect and bake a cake just right? Or does the world NEED FEMALE DOCTORS????

Sister, that may be your own opinion, and i gave my own opinion. Surely, im not telling anyone to do what i feel is right.

It depends on an individuals family rules, in my family, girls arent suppose to go out and work around with males, and i feel that they are right with this.

I dont think my opinion can ever change, a girl is suppose to look after her family and to give the best of knowledge to her kids. I hope we get financial settled when i have kids so that i can give my kids the best knowledge and the time they require.

Guest jenneh19

jeez ppl this isnt saudi arabia.. we have equal rights among men, Allah is fair and just in all that He does. Why would he bestow any such injustice upon any of the sexes

jeez ppl this isnt saudi arabia.. we have equal rights among men, Allah is fair and just in all that He does. Why would he bestow any such injustice upon any of the sexes

It's not injustice and we shouldn't think of it like this. The place for women is at the home, if she is allowed to work (when she's not in financial trouble) then she is allowed. Any money she earns is hers, and hers alone.

It's not injustice and we shouldn't think of it like this. The place for women is at the home, if she is allowed to work (when she's not in financial trouble) then she is allowed. Any money she earns is hers, and hers alone.

I second that.

I completely agree. As someone so eloquently stated in one of the threads, the "one size fits all" concept doesn't work here. Also, if we don't have women in the workforce, then our women would, for example, have to go to male gynecologists. Our women would either have to show their private parts to these male gynecologists or risk dying without treatment.

I can see how, in some aspects, women in general may be better suited for staying at home more, but I don't think that means it's optimal for every individual woman. It's good that you have acknowledged that a woman IS allowed to work outside the home-- more people need to recognize that.

The world needs piety the most. Piety does not flow from diktat. Any diktat. It flows from an understanding of the religious edicts and from living by that understanding. If both men and women asre pious, there is no possibility of anything going amiss in workplaces, and despite what people say, things rarely do go amiss. Which they can anywhere, not just workplaces.

There is no bar on the working of women. There have always been working women throughout the history of Islam.

Guest Dialectician

Though I hardly see any relevance between your IQ and your ability to understand the abstruse medical concepts, IQ itself isn't a (sole) warrant in itself for taking up career.

It's a matter of personal choice for some, and compromise for others. Lots of women with an IQ of 140 are baking cakes and folding towels either by choice, or by force of circumstance. Not all have the "luxury" to explore and search for opportunities which can whet intellect.

I am yet to meet someone who took up public service for non-personal reasons.

OMG this is a never ending debate!

Everyone agrees that a woman is allowed to work if her husband agrees. Correct?

Then y the hoo-haa???

If a woman has specialized skills for example in medicine or education which is very much needed in her community why can't she practice those skills? just because she's a woman?

I agree if she's unable to give time to her family properly because she's working, then she should quit. Priority is always the family. However, if there're no kids and she's to spend time alone in the house "neatly folding towels" all day then i suggest she get a job!

Guest Dialectician
If a woman has specialized skills for example in medicine or education which is very much needed in her community why can't she practice those skills? just because she's a woman?

Her reasons for taking up a profession can be entirely personal. Please save us the excuse of "world needs me; hence, I'm working".

I can see how, in some aspects, women in general may be better suited for staying at home more, but I don't think that means it's optimal for every individual woman. It's good that you have acknowledged that a woman IS allowed to work outside the home-- more people need to recognize that.

If they are allowed to work and given permission from their husbands then no one else can say anything. Plus the beauty of Islam says that any money earned by a female is hers and cannot be taken by her husband. So if she gives him money it's a form of charity and she's getting good deeds.

Her reasons for taking up a profession can be entirely personal. Please save us the excuse of "world needs me; hence, I'm working".

If her husband allows it then there is no problem with that.

Guest Dialectician

I personally have respect for following types of women:

- One who doesn't care for husbands approval in taking up a career and is a complete self-sufficient and responsible entity and is antagonistic towards conventional roles in family. (... this would imply she's unislamic)

- One who takes up a career in accordance with husbands approval, like assuming (subaltern) role of supporting her husband and ensuring family's financial well-being, while maintaining her primary roles in the family.

If her husband allows it then there is no problem with that. ..

There's no legal/moral/ethical problem in that per se, but there's a problem with the argument though.

i'm not making any excuse.. i didnt say she can't work for personal reasons.

However, if there're no kids and she's to spend time alone in the house "neatly folding towels" all day then i suggest she get a job!

Anyway.. I dont know WHY we are arguing about it.. almost everyone in this thread has said that if her husband agrees or she's required to financially help out the family then she should work.

End of story pple!

Guest jenneh19

we're on the same page here..

OMG this is a never ending debate!

Then y the hoo-haa???

I agree if she's unable to give time to her family properly because she's working, then she should quit. Priority is always the family. However, if there're no kids and she's to spend time alone in the house "neatly folding towels" all day then i suggest she get a job!

i agree

Guest Dialectician
i'm not making any excuse.. i didnt say she can't work for personal reasons.

OK. I took a wrong impression.

I completely agree. As someone so eloquently stated in one of the threads, the "one size fits all" concept doesn't work here. Also, if we don't have women in the workforce, then our women would, for example, have to go to male gynecologists. Our women would either have to show their private parts to these male gynecologists or risk dying without treatment.

So Zeynab-europe are you a ob/gyn?

I personally have respect for following types of women:

- One who doesn't care for husbands approval in taking up a career and is a complete self-sufficient and responsible entity and is antagonistic towards conventional roles in family. (... this would imply she's unislamic)

- One who takes up a career in accordance with husbands approval, like assuming (subaltern) role of supporting her husband and ensuring family's financial well-being, while maintaining her primary roles in the family.

(salam)

There have been paradign shifts. There is an entity known as an independent business woman. You will find many in Pakistan. They simply cannot afford to close down their businesses if the prospective husband desires that.

The reasons run the gamut, it's not up to us to judge a lady's personal reasons. (They may not be entirely personal, they may also be a combination of reasons. "The world needs me" reason is perfectly legitimate and you may not have this way of thinking, but people actually do think like this. If only MORE people would think like this, we may have more Muslims in high places.) But, the point is, whatever the personal reasons, society needs working women in all fields.

So Zeynab-europe are you a ob/gyn?

It's not just female ob/gyns that we need, but women in all fields. This was just a more extreme example of why females are essential in the workforce.

This is probably one of those things that should be decided before marrying that particular person.

Guest Dialectician
The reasons run the gamut, it's not up to us to judge a lady's personal reasons. (They may not be entirely personal, they may also be a combination of reasons. "The world needs me" reason is perfectly legitimate and you may not have this way of thinking, but people actually do think like this. If only MORE people would think like this, we may have more Muslims in high places.) But, the point is, whatever the personal reasons, society needs working women in all fields.

Which economic system is running in the part of the globe you live in? Capitalism, right?

Here's a working assumption of capitalism for you to devour:

"Capitalism as a way of thinking is fundamentally individualistic, that is, that the individual is the center of capitalist endeavor. This idea draws on all the Enlightenment concepts of individuality: that all individuals are different, that society is composed of individuals who pursue their own interests, that individuals should be free to pursue their own interests (this, in capitalism, is called "economic freedom"), and that, in a democratic sense, individuals pursuing their own interests will guarantee the interests of society as a whole."

I'll settle with you over "the reasons run the gamut", but would disagree with you on "it's not up to us to judge a lady's personal reasons" over ethical grounds.

Now see my perspective in the light of above. Pure service/altruism is non-existent and apparently it goes against rational self-interest.

This is probably one of those things that should be decided before marrying that particular person.

We are hand in hand here.

Edited by Dialectician