Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
dingdong

Chador

Rate this topic

well yeah i am looking for the shuttlecock design which women in Iran/Iraq noramally wear. You cant see ANY detail of the body with it and as a kid I used ot think Irani women are REALLY fat by nature.

Um, women in Iran DONT wear the shuttlecock Burqa...thats what the Afghani Pashtoon wear!

*duh*

Iranian women wear the Chador-the huge semi-circular piece of fabric that is held shut.

Arab khaleeji women wear the traditional overhead abayah which is a huge square of fabric w/ slits for the hands and is open down the front...OR a similar style from the shoulders down called a "shoulder" abayah.

So...pls get ur terminology straight!

p.s. I *really* am 'bout reading to make a webpage on the differences between the diff styles of covering and terminology...God help me, if I head another person call a overhead abayah from Khaleeji countries a "burqa" again...oi vey

Edited by UPittShiaGrl

err I meant to say what the design is like. Like how the thing is cut up. For example as you said a chador is semi circle so that kind of made sense. I as under the impression that a chador was a abaya kind of thing. :lol:

err I meant to say what the design is like. Like how the thing is cut up. For example as you said a chador is semi circle so that kind of made sense. I as under the impression that a chador was a abaya kind of thing. :lol:

wa salaam,

Oh ok...well, the majority of indigenous ME clothing is cut on basic straight lines or is simple to piece together.

But, yes the chador & abayah are 2 totally diff "species" of overgarments, entirely diff shape and manner of construction. People often mix them up and assume they are 1 and the same. They arent. I think now thou the waters r muddier as Iranian women are getting more and more into using the abayah (overhead style) as its a much easier to wear overgarment. I know the last time I went, they were very popular.

ok i saw another chador on bbc so i am posting a pic. ooooh its soooooo beautiful. groan

salam, i wear one like that in iran. its REALLY easy and comfortable to wear, and i think its pretty good hijab.

http://noisedragon.com/members/mypictures/...574462_8984.jpg

i don't know where/if they sell it in UAE but in iran they're pretty easy to find (especially in qom) :) just ask for a chador daneshjooee (ÇÏÑ ÏÇäÔÌæیی)

Edited by _-blacktulip-_

Why do you want her to wear chador if she's not used to it at all? One can look modest in virtually any style, so why not set out for a shopping spree to find her clothes that are close to her personality? Why try to convince her into a blob-like outfit that makes her totally depersonalized and anonymous?

salam,

I'm a little offended by this quote. I like the chador and abaya and would wear them all the time if it was up to me, but I don't because I face this kind of attitude from muslims around me much more than non muslims. I can't count the number of negative comments I've had from muslims while wearing one. I covered my face while in saudi - mainly to avoid getting sunburnt and allow me to go to the shops alone without fear of pervert attention - and none of the women in my hajj group would make eye contact with me while I was wearing it, one girl even told me to take it off because she couldn't talk to me while I was wearing it. Whenever my face was uncovered, everyone was much nicer and treated me normally. I mean what on earth is going on?!

Why is wearing what I feel comfortable in not a reflection of my personality? I don't think its depersonalised or anonymous. Do I have to shop at H&M or Topshop to say that I am an intelligent person with a mind and voice of my own? This is again a form of discrimination, and sadly from muslims towards other muslims. Whatever happened to freedom of choice?

As muslims I would have thought we should support the clothing choices of our sisters against all the others who persistently slate us -- not react with distaste when they are different from our personal styles.

chador-wearers are people too!

ws.

^ it seems others agree with me, I just skimmed the rest of the thread. well, at least I'm not alone.

Madre, wear your chador anyway. I do. Fight the system!

ws.