Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Slave of Zahra

Our Souls

Rate this topic

(salam)

i have read alot about what happens to the soul after death....but what happens to the soul before birth? where are our souls before they are put into this phsyical body? are they kept in a place like jannah? do they see humans? do they see angels? are they created right before being placed into the body? i have never been able to find any info on what our souls go thru before being placed into our bodies...do souls travel? if they do then is this why when we go some place we have never been or meet someone for the first time is it b/c our soul has been there before being placed into our body ? does anyone have any books or info i could read about this?

thanks

(salam)

Hmm...I've also wondered about that for a long while, havent gotten any significant answers.

Also, anyone know where our souls are when we're dreaming? I know the soul leaves the body at night, but where exactly does it go? (especially during dreams!)

My dad has told me that there before we come to the world, our souls are in 3aalam-al-Dhar.

Can you elaborate further on that if you dont mind? I've always been really curious to know where our souls have been/are.

Thanks!

w/s

soul_in_training

Can you elaborate further on that if you dont mind? I've always been really curious to know where our souls have been/are.

Some Ulemas believe that we in our lives pass through 5 stages, the first stage is where the souls gather is know as Alam al Arwah, second one is the womb of the mother which is known as Alam al Arham, third is the Alam e Duniya, fourth is the Alam e Barzakh and the fifth being the Day of Judgement.

I think Alam al Dhar is before Alam al Arwah or maybe the same stage. I am not sure maybe someone can clarify

Lucky for you, you don't have a soul. This is simply religious fails to tell you anything.

If you have a Soul, why would is that you need eat, drink, have pleasure as mentioned in your Holy Book?

Surely if the Soul has the same function as the Body today, it should carry the same problem. Not only that, If soul have the same function as the Body (Physical Body), then why is a need for that body?

:lol:

Lucky for you, you don't have a soul. This is simply religious fails to tell you anything.

If you have a Soul, why would is that you need eat, drink, have pleasure as mentioned in your Holy Book?

Surely if the Soul has the same function as the Body today, it should carry the same problem. Not only that, If soul have the same function as the Body (Physical Body), then why is a need for that body?

:lol:

Increase you knowledge and decrease you ignorance. We have a soul, and a phyiscal body, they are not competing with each other, they have separate roles. Your comparasons are based on false assumptions and therefore your conclusions are wildly far from the mark.

Increase you knowledge and decrease you ignorance. We have a soul, and a phyiscal body, they are not competing with each other, they have separate roles. Your comparasons are based on false assumptions and therefore your conclusions are wildly far from the mark.

You are rather are mistake, it is you who can't open his eyes. If there is a soul, you must rather have proof of it. I bet you can't prove it. :lol:

^ with all due respect, the discussion is about what happens with souls, not whether or not you think they exist. i think if you want to have such a discussion you should make it in the atheist section.

Edited by Asha

^ with all due respect, the discussion is about what happens with souls, not whether or not you think they exist. i think if you want to have such a discussion you should make it in the atheist section.

salam

thanks sis...i posted this in general discussion for a reason b/c i wanted replies from the muslims only ...this is not a debate but a true genuine ques of mine and i request the mods to delete all off topic replies that have been made as i do not wish this to become a silly debate and get closed...

to the other posters who attempted to answer i thank you very much and if you could elaborate i would greatly appreciate it...i am a convert so i have absolutely no idea and have never heard of alam al dhar...i did some searching on the net but havent found anything regarding it so any info anyone has i would greatly appreciate it....

jazakAllah khair

Salam aleikum:

salam

to the other posters who attempted to answer i thank you very much and if you could elaborate i would greatly appreciate it...i am a convert so i have absolutely no idea and have never heard of alam al dhar...i did some searching on the net but havent found anything regarding it so any info anyone has i would greatly appreciate it....

jazakAllah khair

The following is what is mentioned in the book:

An Enlightening commentary into the Light of the Holy Quran vol.6:

172- " And (remember) when your Lord took from the children of Adam, from their backs, their descendants and made them bear witness over themselves, (and said) : 'Am I not your Lord ? ' They said: ' Yes! We do bear witness.' (This We did) lest you should say on the Day of Resurrection: ' Verily we were unaware of this '."

Commentary :

The Qur'ānic term /ŏurriyah/ means small children, but it is often used for all the children of a person.

The circumstance of Allah's taking covenant from the children of Adam has not been stated in this verse.

As some Islamic traditions indicate, after the creation of Adam, all his progenies came out from his back in the form of some intelligent particles and were addressed by the Lord. They confessed to the Lordship of Allah. Then, all of them returned back to the loin and soil of Adam, in order to come into this world gradually and naturally. This world is called the world of ' Tharr ' and that covenant is called the ' covenant of 'Alast ' or ' the world of pre-existence '.

The purpose of the world of ' Tharr ', maybe, is the same world of talents, and the covenant of innate disposition and creation. That is, at the time of departure of Adam's childrenfrom the loins of fathers into the wombs of mothers in the shape of sperm, which are not more than some minutes, Allah sets the talent and nature of monotheism and seeking truth in their constitution and this divine secret, as an innate sense, is settled in the institution and natural disposition of everybody. The help of Allah reflects in their intellect in the form of a self-cognizance fact. Allah has asked them through the tongue of creation, and they have answered through the same tongue, too.

We should know that Allah has established monotheism in the innate disposition and constitution of humankind. The verse says:

" And (remember) when your Lord took from the children of Adam, from their backs, their descendants and made them bear witness over themselves, (and said) : 'Am I not your Lord ? ' They said: ' Yes! We do bear witness.' (This We did) lest you should say on the Day of Resurrection: ' Verily we were unaware of this '."

Thus, human beings can observe the sense of theism in the depth of their own selves, since they have confessed it in the world of pre-existence.

http://www.maaref-foundation.com/english/index.htm

You are rather are mistake, it is you who can't open his eyes. If there is a soul, you must rather have proof of it. I bet you can't prove it. :lol:

If you have intellect, rather have proof of it. I bet you can't prove it. No wonder you are thoughtless forever. :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

As for the topic, here's something I had posted on another forum:

---------------------

We have come in this world from the body of our mother as a new born baby. But our appearance in this world as a new living species is not the first stage of our existence. We were created by Allah Subhanahu taala much before our birth. Before our birth, we all were living somewhere in the universe as individual souls. This is what Quran and ahadith tell us about the origin of our existence. The Holy Quran says:

“When your Lord brought forth descendants from the loins of Adam’s children, and made them testify concerning themselves (saying) AM I NOT YOUR LORD ? they replied :we bear witness that you are.....(this he did so ) so that you should not say on the Day of Judgment that we had no knowledge of this.” (7:172)

This verse of the Holy Quran reminds us about a pact that was made between us and our Lord before our birth, that none other than Him is our God.

This confirms that we had an existence and conscious life before our birth.Those who don’t believe in Quran will instantly reject this piece of information i.e. pre-birth existence, on ground that it can not be testified on the basis of scientific experiments. But there are many things which scientists believe but they can not prove them by experiments. At least all scientists believe in some realities which are totally beyond the limits of experimental verifications.

The Holy Prophet (sws) said:

The souls are (like) an army joined (in the world of spirits) whichever souls knew each other (in that world) are attracted towards each other (in this world) and whichever remained distant and indifferent (there) are disinterested to each other (in this world)”.

In another hadith, Imam Jafer as-Sadiq (as) says:

Verily, Allah established brotherhood between the souls in the (world of ) shadows (souls), 2000 years before the creations of their bodies.

Similar hadith is also present in the Bukhari, in which the Holy Prophet said:

In their previous existence souls lived together as a community. Those who were spiritually close to each other there, remain close to each other here also, i.e., in this world. Those who were at distant from each other there, also have little affinity for each other here.

In actuality, all souls have been created by Allah Subhanahu taala as an isolated singular. But after birth, we find ourselves associated with each other as parent-offspring and their derivatives. Thus, we can extend our speculation on the basis of these ahadith, that the blood relationships that are formed after birth in this world such as brother-brother, brother-sister, sister-sister, parents-children have their roots in our souls. i.e., souls which have developed deep love and affection for each other in the first world are implanted by Allah in genes to revive that former intimacy in this world. Otherwise, there is no any other good reason known to us to justify why there is always intense love and affection in these relations.

http://www.dartabligh.org/books/ebooks/bas...iefs/page91.asp

Edited by SpIzo

If you have intellect, rather have proof of it. I bet you can't prove it. No wonder you are thoughtless forever. :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

As for the topic, here's something I had posted on another forum:

Its your soul and faith on the line. I don't need to prove anything. :lol:

(salam)

We should know that Allah has established monotheism in the innate disposition and constitution of humankind. The verse says:

" And (remember) when your Lord took from the children of Adam, from their backs, their descendants and made them bear witness over themselves, (and said) : 'Am I not your Lord ? ' They said: ' Yes! We do bear witness.' (This We did) lest you should say on the Day of Resurrection: ' Verily we were unaware of this '."

Thus, human beings can observe the sense of theism in the depth of their own selves, since they have confessed it in the world of pre-existence.

http://www.maaref-foundation.com/english/index.htm

I've heard this before, and it does indeed prove that our souls existed before we were born. The question remains as to what this place is, what it looks like, and if the souls of the people who are not yet born are still floating around here...im so curious!! and confused! :wacko:

---------------------

We have come in this world from the body of our mother as a new born baby. But our appearance in this world as a new living species is not the first stage of our existence. We were created by Allah Subhanahu taala much before our birth. Before our birth, we all were living somewhere in the universe as individual souls. This is what Quran and ahadith tell us about the origin of our existence. The Holy Quran says:

“When your Lord brought forth descendants from the loins of Adam’s children, and made them testify concerning themselves (saying) AM I NOT YOUR LORD ? they replied :we bear witness that you are.....(this he did so ) so that you should not say on the Day of Judgment that we had no knowledge of this.” (7:172)

This verse of the Holy Quran reminds us about a pact that was made between us and our Lord before our birth, that none other than Him is our God.

This confirms that we had an existence and conscious life before our birth.Those who don’t believe in Quran will instantly reject this piece of information i.e. pre-birth existence, on ground that it can not be testified on the basis of scientific experiments. But there are many things which scientists believe but they can not prove them by experiments. At least all scientists believe in some realities which are totally beyond the limits of experimental verifications.

The Holy Prophet (sws) said:

The souls are (like) an army joined (in the world of spirits) whichever souls knew each other (in that world) are attracted towards each other (in this world) and whichever remained distant and indifferent (there) are disinterested to each other (in this world)”.

In another hadith, Imam Jafer as-Sadiq (as) says:

Verily, Allah established brotherhood between the souls in the (world of ) shadows (souls), 2000 years before the creations of their bodies.

Similar hadith is also present in the Bukhari, in which the Holy Prophet said:

In their previous existence souls lived together as a community. Those who were spiritually close to each other there, remain close to each other here also, i.e., in this world. Those who were at distant from each other there, also have little affinity for each other here.

In actuality, all souls have been created by Allah Subhanahu taala as an isolated singular. But after birth, we find ourselves associated with each other as parent-offspring and their derivatives. Thus, we can extend our speculation on the basis of these ahadith, that the blood relationships that are formed after birth in this world such as brother-brother, brother-sister, sister-sister, parents-children have their roots in our souls. i.e., souls which have developed deep love and affection for each other in the first world are implanted by Allah in genes to revive that former intimacy in this world. Otherwise, there is no any other good reason known to us to justify why there is always intense love and affection in these relations.

http://www.dartabligh.org/books/ebooks/bas...iefs/page91.asp

Thanks bro, that explained it a little better for me. I found the hadith very interesting . So it means that our souls have been interacting with other souls for a while...

Does this mean that we (our souls) got to choose our parents? Or that we loved our parents enough in the pre-birth soul life that Allah(swt) placed us in families?

(bismillah) (salam)

I have a book in urdu named "Aaina-e-Nafs" the link given by Sis. SpIzo pretty much explains the same.

To be specific its in Aalam-e-Arwah....

Also, anyone know where our souls are when we're dreaming? I know the soul leaves the body at night, but where exactly does it go? (especially during dreams!)

Interesting question... I'm curious too and what are souls[hmm may be minds] upto when we have evil dreams/scary dreams ?? Where r souls are and why at that particular place??

Wassalam.

(salam)

Interesting question... I'm curious too and what are souls[hmm may be minds] upto when we have evil dreams/scary dreams ?? Where r souls are and why at that particular place??

Wassalam.

Exactly! :D

And what about the people tht we dream about? Are our souls "bumping" into theirs? If this is the case (I'm not sure about this...I stand to be corrected!) then do they also have to be sleeping in order for our souls to meet them? and what about repetitive dreams/nightmares involving people (or should I say their souls?)?

^Hmmm don't know I got it as a Gift and its By Ayatullah Sayyed Hassan Al Batha (qas) ...Its translated in urdu From Farsi I can't read the name correctly in Farsi my bad :( but just trying its written "Dar Mahdhar Ustaad"... the Farsi name....

I'll try to find out abt this InshaAllah :)

Wassalam.

(salam)

I've heard this before, and it does indeed prove that our souls existed before we were born. The question remains as to what this place is, what it looks like, and if the souls of the people who are not yet born are still floating around here...im so curious!! and confused! :wacko:

The souls of the people who are not yet born exist but not here, in the pre-existence* realm. They are not floating around here.

* 'pre-existence' here means existence in this world.

Thanks bro, that explained it a little better for me. I found the hadith very interesting . So it means that our souls have been interacting with other souls for a while...

Does this mean that we (our souls) got to choose our parents? Or that we loved our parents enough in the pre-birth soul life that Allah(swt) placed us in families?

A related link. Go through it if you are interested.

I'm a sister by the way.

I'll try to find some resources on it, but in Manazel al-Akherah the subject of soul and dreams is touched upon briefly.

(salam)

The souls of the people who are not yet born exist but not here, in the pre-existence* realm. They are not floating around here.

I'm a sister by the way.

I'll try to find some resources on it, but in Manazel al-Akherah the subject of soul and dreams is touched upon briefly.

Sorry sis :blush:

Thanks for the links, inshallah I'll read em up as soon as I can!

So the souls that have not yet come into this world are in the pre-existence realm where our souls were before we were born as well...hmm...so my soul knows the soul of my future child? :wacko:

Quite interesting and boggling indeed!

(salam)

thanks sis Spizo for the links i read over them briefly and will look into them more in depth later...

so what about when we are dreaming? as was asked before...are we bumping into other souls? if we are then what about those people who dream of Masoomeen (as)...i dont mean those who "claim" and falsely believe but those who truly have...sleep is considered the lesser death and i have heard the soul leaves the body but at a lesser state than in death...and it travels...is this true? i

i have always wondered how it is our families were chosen for us...it cant only be our souls liked each other...if that were the case i wouldnt have been born into the family i was born in...i mean there has to be more than that...it would seem...or is it that after we are in these physical bodies...it changes our soul...and our souls arent the same as in their pre-existive state?

could a soul have been "pious" in its pre-existive state but "immoral" in its earthly body? is that like a test for the "pious" soul to be in an immoral setting here in this world...to see if they are truly pious in some ways...

jazakAllah khair

So the souls that have not yet come into this world are in the pre-existence realm where our souls were before we were born as well...hmm...so my soul knows the soul of my future child? :wacko:

Quite interesting and boggling indeed!

Well, it's quite a deep and interesting subject, but about 'knowing', I think the tradition means that your soul shows familiarity towards a particular soul because of your 'knowing' in the pre-existence realm.

After coming in this world, your soul loses all contact with `aalam-e-dhar and even if it maintains some contact with other world, it is with those people who have gone ie. souls in `aalam-e-barzakh.

so what about when we are dreaming? as was asked before...are we bumping into other souls? if we are then what about those people who dream of Masoomeen (as)...i dont mean those who "claim" and falsely believe but those who truly have...sleep is considered the lesser death and i have heard the soul leaves the body but at a lesser state than in death...and it travels...is this true? i

Sis, have you read the Manazel link which I gave? Because it sort-of sheds light on this albeit briefly.

i have always wondered how it is our families were chosen for us...it cant only be our souls liked each other...if that were the case i wouldnt have been born into the family i was born in...i mean there has to be more than that...it would seem...or is it that after we are in these physical bodies...it changes our soul...and our souls arent the same as in their pre-existive state?

No, I think you are misunderstanding the tradition. We do not choose our families. Rather, Allah (SWT) chooses them for us as the tradition of the Holy Prophet (S) says: Allah established brotherhood between the souls. We did not form communities based on just liking, but based on spiritual bonding.

And of course, there is more than that. Please read up on the links which I gave to sis soul_in_training because it does attempt to answer this question.

could a soul have been "pious" in its pre-existive state but "immoral" in its earthly body? is that like a test for the "pious" soul to be in an immoral setting here in this world...to see if they are truly pious in some ways...

jazakAllah khair

No, I would again recommend you to read up on the links. But just to answer briefly here, a 'pious' soul in the pre-existence realm would remain pious [ie. a believer] in this world too. But those who were disbelievers in that world, have yet again got a chance to return to the right Path by accepting Tawheed, Prophethood of Prophet Mohammad (S) and Wilayat of Imam Ali (A).

As I said in the second link [given above], the catch here is that we do not know whether we were believers or disbelievers in the other world. That is why we have to strive till the end to remain steadfast on the right path.

NOTE: When we say those who were believers in that world, will be believers in this world, it means believers at the time of death. That is, at the time of death when we will be in a crucial and important state [fighting Shaytan's last attempt to deviate us or giving up], we will come to know whether we were believers or not and everything will become clear.

I'm a sister by the way.

JazakAllah Khair Sister :)

Wassalam.

(salam)

This is a very interesting subject.. Shukran for reminding this

Sister SpIzo..

''Otherwise, there is no any other good reason known to us to justify why there is always intense love and affection in these relations.''

What about the souls of revert muslims who are born in unreligious families? Or pious children born in unpious families?

(salam)

(salam)

This is a very interesting subject.. Shukran for reminding this

Sister SpIzo..

''Otherwise, there is no any other good reason known to us to justify why there is always intense love and affection in these relations.''

What about the souls of revert muslims who are born in unreligious families? Or pious children born in unpious families?

(salam)

(salam)

thanks sis Spizo for all your efforts...you have truly been a great help...i read over the two links you posted before...i dont really see how it answers my ques...maybe i am just overlooking a link or something i dont know...

my ques earlier is similar to this one...i was born into a white prejudice southern redneck american family...who disowned me after becoming muslim...not just me i know a few other sisters whose families did the same...so that was my ques...now i am not in any sense of the word trying to say i am a great pious muslimah...that wasnt my meaning but my point was that all of us converts that i know whose families disowned them ...is that sort of a test for that soul? that is basically what i am asking...or not only converts but those people born into muslim families whose families arent practicing but they end up becoming good practicing muslims..these type scenarios was what i was refering to when i said "a pious soul being in an immortal situation"...

i know we cant ever really fully know why we are born into the families we are born into and i am not asking for a detailed explanation...i am simply asking is there any info regarding this ...i have looked on the internet in several places and while there are some things i have found ...i havent been able to find detailed answers regarding these ques...

also i have read in sufism...i am not sure of the term for this but basically they believe that a sheik of today can be taught by his earlier sheiks even though they are dead...it is sort of a spiritual teaching...is there any belief of this sort in shia mysticism....can the soul of a person who is dead visit the living? and is it the soul of the living the dead speak to or is it the physical presence which hears?

jazakAllah khair..

(salam)

^topic bumped

I think this topic should be pinned in the thinker's discourse so we can discuss it more fully without it always getting bumped down.

Also...does the soul feel discomfort when it enters the body in the mothers womb? (cause i know death is a very uncomfortable process for the soul) Does it experience discomfort when transitioning to any of the 5 realms?

Sis SpIzo, I read the manazelah link, thanks very much for it it cleared many of my questions :D

However, I'm still very very curious about the subject of souls and dreams... :unsure: Anyone know any Islamic books (In English!!) about dreams?

Salam to everyone,

Well, I do not claim to know about this topic deeply. I'm just sharing a little drop of water from the vast ocean on this topic. And it is quite possible that there maybe different theories of different scholars on this topic. Some may reject, some may believe partially, some may accept in its entirety. So please, I would suggest you all to do a research on your own too.

I had posted in the one of the links given above. But anyway, from it:

I don't know how authentic this is but the tradition says:

In a tradition of his, the Ima`m, peace be on him, spoke about the clay of a believer and an unbeliever. He said: "Allah, the Great and Almighty, created the prophets' hearts and bodies from the clay of 'Illin (the highest place). He created the hearts of believers from this clay, and created their bodies from clay other that this. He created the bodies and hearts of unbelievers from sijjin. Then He mixed the two (kinds of) clay. Hence the unbeliever (woman) bears a believer; the believer (woman) bears an unbeliever. From here the unbeliever may do a good deed. The hearts of believers and of unbelievers yearn for the clay from which they were created. (1)"

There are many traditions concerning that Allah, the Most High, created man from clay. Allah, the Exalted, said: "It is He who created you from clay. (2)" He, the Exalted, said: "And He began the creation of man from clay. (3)" He created the prophets and believers from the most sacred clay, hence they saved and freed man. He created the unbelievers from the meanest and dirtiest clay, hence they hindered the progress and development of man's social life. Through His wisdom, Allah, the Most High, decreed to mix these two kinds of clay with each other, and they produced opposites. The (wives of) the prophets and believers borne some wicked and unbelieving children. An example of is Noah, Allah's Prophet, whose wife gave birth to a son who deviated from the right path and disbelieved in his father's message. Allah drowned him along with the unbelievers. Noah felt pity for him and whispered to his Lord, and He, the Exalted, answered him: "Surely he is not of your family; surely he is (the doer of) other than good deeds." (The wives of) the unbelievers may give birth to believing, righteous children. This is among the outcomes of the mixture of the two kinds of clay, as the Ima`m, peace be on him, said.

1. Usu`l al-Ka`fi, vol. 2, p. 2.

2. Qur'a`n, 6, p. 2.

3. Ibid., 32, 7.

http://www.rafed.net/english/books/zain-alabiden/27.html#315

my ques earlier is similar to this one...i was born into a white prejudice southern redneck american family...who disowned me after becoming muslim...not just me i know a few other sisters whose families did the same...so that was my ques...now i am not in any sense of the word trying to say i am a great pious muslimah...that wasnt my meaning but my point was that all of us converts that i know whose families disowned them ...is that sort of a test for that soul? that is basically what i am asking...or not only converts but those people born into muslim families whose families arent practicing but they end up becoming good practicing muslims..these type scenarios was what i was refering to when i said "a pious soul being in an immortal situation"...

i know we cant ever really fully know why we are born into the families we are born into and i am not asking for a detailed explanation...i am simply asking is there any info regarding this ...i have looked on the internet in several places and while there are some things i have found ...i havent been able to find detailed answers regarding these ques...

Sister if you want a tradition(al) explanation, then read the above hadith posted. It explains but there must be more to it.

also i have read in sufism...i am not sure of the term for this but basically they believe that a sheik of today can be taught by his earlier sheiks even though they are dead...it is sort of a spiritual teaching...is there any belief of this sort in shia mysticism....can the soul of a person who is dead visit the living? and is it the soul of the living the dead speak to or is it the physical presence which hears?

Yes, a soul can visit the living but only by the permission of Allah (SWT). They can converse with the living (you must've read incidents where a person sees his/her dead in his dreams); they can see us, they visit their relatives and try to exhort them to do good but ofcourse the living can't hear them when they do this. Again I repeat, all this happens or can happen only by the permission and will of Allah (SWT).

The souls of the dead cannot harrass the living as some people believe though.

Also...does the soul feel discomfort when it enters the body in the mothers womb? (cause i know death is a very uncomfortable process for the soul) Does it experience discomfort when transitioning to any of the 5 realms?

No, at the time of death the discomfort depends on the piety of the soul. If it's a believer and Allah (SWT) has already recompended his/her sins in this world, then death will be smooth and there won't be any discomfort. If it's a believer but the sins are enormous that inspite of all the trials and calamities, they haven't been recompensed, death will be a painful process as a punishment to purify the soul. If it's a disbeliever, then again, it depends - it can be painful or smooth [if Allah (SWT) wants to compensate for the goodness that person did in this world].

I've never heard/read about the soul experiencing discomfort in any of the other 5 realms. So I don't know about it.

However, I'm still very very curious about the subject of souls and dreams... :unsure: Anyone know any Islamic books (In English!!) about dreams?

In a thread somewhere, I had read there are books on dreams but available either in Farsi or Arabic. Maybe someone else can reply.

Edited by SpIzo

when Allah created man and fashioned him then breathed life into him isnt that when the soul was entered into the human ,so souls are with Allah in the begining and at the end.