Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
BabyBeaverIsAKit

Why Does It Matter If Someone Is Syed Or Not?

Rate this topic

(salam)

I know that there are special rules regarding syeds getting khums/zakat/something along those lines, although I don't know it specifically. Why exactly are syeds given different money? I think it was Bibi Fatima that refused charity. Why did she refuse charity? How is this relevant to today's syeds? THink about it-- many of today's syeds have very diluted blood. Because of microevolution and breeding between syeds and non-syeds, today's syeds are not really similar in genetics to the prophet. When it comes right down to it, why does it matter if someone is syed or not?

By the way, I apologize if this has been discussed before.

Edited by BabyBeaverIsAKit

syeds cant be diluted man wat u talkin about

syed women marrys a non syed have a kid = non syed kid

so it ends

on the other hand syed man marryes non syed woman has a kid = syed

so it carries on

i dnt regard myself special pride and guroor in our religion is rong but i think the only special thing about us is that somewere in us is imams blood

and i think thats somethin really really big

^ i agree

i mean like yeh we're special to have the Imam's (as) blood

but we shouldn't go around bragging about it to others...

at the end of the day, being a syed or not doesn't really matter

Edited by _zahra

By diluted, I mean that you've retained very little of the prophet's blood and genetics. It has changed over time.

Also, I don't think it means that the person is special in any way, because he/she doesn't gain any benefit. If someone thinks it is special, then doesn't that seem a bit like falling into the sin of pride?

With the exception of one marriage to a non syed female my entire shahjara is syed so how is our blood diluted? As for Syeds we dont eat zakaat or sadqar as this is the sunnah of our grandfather Prophet Mohammad.

(salam)

I know that there are special rules regarding syeds getting khums/zakat/something along those lines, although I don't know it specifically. Why exactly are syeds given different money? I think it was Bibi Fatima that refused charity. Why did she refuse charity? How is this relevant to today's syeds? THink about it-- many of today's syeds have very diluted blood. Because of microevolution and breeding between syeds and non-syeds, today's syeds are not really similar in genetics to the prophet. When it comes right down to it, why does it matter if someone is syed or not?

(salam)

As a mark of respect for the Holy Prophet (pbuh) from whose daughter descend the Fatimi Syeds, the Syeds are not given charity, but their right (half of khums).

(salam)

I take it that you are not a Syed ?

With the exception of one marriage to a non syed female my entire shahjara is syed so how is our blood diluted? As for Syeds we dont eat zakaat or sadqar as this is the sunnah of our grandfather Prophet Mohammad.

You may be able to trace you grandfather's side all the way, but there are many, many people who contributed to your making. There is very little chance that every single one of your syed grandfathers married syed grandmothers. In addition, there has been lots of microevolution. If you want proof-- do you look Arab? You probably hardly look like the prophet.

My point is-- why is that the sunnah of the prophet? The Prophet also communicated with Allah through Jibrael-- does that mean you are doing wrong by not trying to forge this connection as well? The Prophet was special, he was the prophet of Allah, but you, or any modern day syed, is not the Prophet of Allah. He married more than four wives-- does that mean it's sunnah for you, too? No! The Prophet traveled by camel-- does that make it sunnah for you? No! You can find logic behind many of the Prophet's sunnahs. For example, you break fast with a date because that's a fast source of carbohydrates after a long day of going without carbs.

Sometimes I feel like a celebrity on shiachat blush.gif

Although quite notorious...

Lol, I love your sarcasm!

As a mark of respect for the Holy Prophet pbuh.gif from whose daughter descend the Fatimi Syeds, the Syeds are not given charity, but their right (half of khums).

That's basically what Christians say if they can't understand something, "Just have faith." Instead, here, it's, "THis is the way to give respect." It's arbitrary, there's no logic to back it up.

People also say that it is sunnah to marry a syeda to a syed. However, again, this is a handwaving argument, there's no logic behind it.

It seems like it all boils down to two things:

1. The Prophet did it so we must do the exact same thing, despite the fact that he was special and so was entitled to special rules that are not applicable to his followers or descendants.

2. Money. Syeds get different money.

----

My point is-- why is that the sunnah of the prophet? The Prophet also communicated with Allah through Jibrael-- does that mean you are doing wrong by not trying to forge this connection as well? The Prophet was special, he was the prophet of Allah, but you, or any modern day syed, is not the Prophet of Allah. He married more than four wives-- does that mean it's sunnah for you, too? No! The Prophet traveled by camel-- does that make it sunnah for you? No! You can find logic behind many of the Prophet's sunnahs. For example, you break fast with a date because that's a fast source of carbohydrates after a long day of going without carbs.

That's basically what Christians say if they can't understand something, "Just have faith." Instead, here, it's, "THis is the way to give respect." It's arbitrary, there's no logic to back it up.

People also say that it is sunnah to marry a syeda to a syed. However, again, this is a handwaving argument, there's no logic behind it.

1. The Prophet did it so we must do the exact same thing, despite the fact that he was special and so was entitled to special rules that are not applicable to his followers or descendants.

(salam)

Baby Beaver

I see it this way.

The Prophet (pbuh) is my link, an intermediary from, and an intercessor with Allah.

Allah did not elaborate all that He wants from me. That was done by the Prophet. So if the Prophet has said or directd something, I see that that as coming from Allah.

And finally

Åöäøó Çááøåó ÇÕúØóÝóì ÂÏóãó æóäõæÍðÇ æóÂáó ÅöÈúÑóÇåöíãó æóÂáó ÚöãúÑóÇäó Úóáóì ÇáúÚóÇáóãöíäó

03:33

The Saadaat are from Aal-e-Imran

Edited by Bharatiye Mahila

(salam)

The difference is that this ("respect the Syeds") is not what Muslims say, but what the Holy Prophet of Islam (pbuh) has told us.

Unlike the quote above, this is indeed what people say. It does not have a basis in Islam.

You lost me there. What's the "it" that you are referring to?

^

She is prolly trying to say that the argument is that since the Prophet did it, its the done thing.

Her skepticism aside, this is exactlly iT. A whole lot of Islam is simply what the Prophet did. Minus the Prophet and His doings from the equation, and nothing remains of Islam.

Her skepticism aside, this is exactlly iT. A whole lot of Islam is simply what the Prophet did. Minus the Prophet and His doings from the equation, and nothing remains of Islam.

I disagree. A whole lot of Islam is not merely because the prophet did it, but that the prophet did it because there was a good, logical reason to do it, and that's why we should do it. See the difference? We follow the sunnah of the prophet because there are reasons for following them. For example, the Prophet rode on a camel. Is there a good, logical reason to ride on camels in the UK or America today? No! Yet, we are not violating the sunnah of the prophet by riding in cars or on bikes. Why? Because the sunnah of the prophet that we are supposed to follow has logical reasons! The prophet did and said many things, not all of which we Muslims need to emulate (i.e. the camel example).

By "it" I am referring to any action, including making a big deal of the syed thing.

The difference is that this ("respect the Syeds") is not what Muslims say, but what the Holy Prophet of Islam pbuh.gif has told us.

The argument was that syeds have different charity/money out of respect for the prophet. HOwever, this is an arbitrary definition of respect. Yes, we must respect syeds-- but that doesn't mean the way to respect them is to give them special money. Also, yes, we must respect syeds, but that is no different from respecting other people. It's fine if the Prophet said to respect syeds, but he did not say to respect them in a different way from non-syeds.

By "it" I am referring to any action, including making a big deal of the syed thing.

The argument was that syeds have different charity/money out of respect for the prophet. HOwever, this is an arbitrary definition of respect. Yes, we must respect syeds-- but that doesn't mean the way to respect them is to give them special money. Also, yes, we must respect syeds, but that is no different from respecting other people. It's fine if the Prophet said to respect syeds, but he did not say to respect them in a different way from non-syeds.

Åöäøó Çááøåó ÇÕúØóÝóì ÂÏóãó æóäõæÍðÇ æóÂáó ÅöÈúÑóÇåöíãó æóÂáó ÚöãúÑóÇäó Úóáóì ÇáúÚóÇáóãöíäó

The notion that the Sayyeds are to be respected can be traced to the Quran

Edited by Bharatiye Mahila

����� ������ �������� ����� �������� ����� ������������ ����� ��������� ����� �������������

The notion that the Sayyeds are to be respected can be traced to the Quran

Can you please tell me what verse that is so I can look it up? Also, I'm not denying that syeds need to be respected, but I am saying that the respect that syeds deserve is no different from the respect that any other human being deserves. Also, I'm saying that you need to respect syeds, but giving them special money doesn't necessarily equate to respect. If you say that syeds get special money because we are told to respect them-- that's not logical, special money doesn't equate to respect.

(salam)

i personally respect syed i know they are little superior in mankind because of their blood relation to our Imam a.s

But what about those syed who r fully and openly commit sin i want to now .. if they really have the same blood then why they offer to commit sins..?

(salam)

i personally respect syed i know they are little superior in mankind because of their blood relation to our Imam a.s

But what about those syed who r fully and openly commit sin i want to now .. if they really have the same blood then why they offer to commit sins..?

They are not superior even a little bit or in any way, shape, or form. That would negate the concept of equality in Islam.

You know, it realy isn't that big of a deal. At least not until people make topics about it.

*Sigh*. Here we go again, trying to criticize other members for discussing legitimate issues facing our communities. If you noticed, my question was whether it really matters or not whether a person is syed. The answer, "It doesn't matter" would have sufficed. And, the reason I made this thread is because some syeds feel that syeds are superior, and so they forget that that would negate the fundamental concept of equality in Islam.

To all Shiachat members: On this forum, issues, even minor ones, are always welcome. If you read the above, please do not be deterred by such people.

Also, I'm saying that you need to respect syeds, but giving them special money doesn't necessarily equate to respect.

Salams

You have asked a question. Now try to understand it.

Alms-tax is the right of the nation of Allah's Prophet P.b.u.H. While Khums is the right of Allah. Allah does not share the right of Alms-tax with the nation because according to our Imams, it is the dirt of our hands. And it is Allah's love for His Prophet, that He has included the Prophet's share with that of His own. Likewise Allah has included the share of the Prophet's family with that of his own. Sadaat, whom you are reffering to, are the decendants of the immaculate progeny of the Prophet. Ofcourse they don't share the virtues similar to that of Masumeen. But they are the proof of Quran's Surah Kauthar and are the progeny of those Masumeen a.s and the family of the Prophet P.b.u.H. So they don't get Sadqa until Qayamah, because Allah has made it haram on the Prophet's family up until the ressurection day.

On a side note, I don't understand why it's a big deal. Since the times of our Imams, most of the sa'daat were deprived of their right of Khums anyway. Even I don't remember the day I received a single penny of Khums (in a Muslim Majority country) when I needed it the most. But I have seen plenty of nonsyed friends taking their right and I was happy for them. But the point is, why complain ... as if we have become millionaires living off the "special money" bestowed on us by the ummmah..... nowadays....they can't stand us anyway....... Khums only goes to the Mujtahideen who are considered trustworthy but if someone asks them to help a needy syed neighbour or a beggar, they'll make

predicted excuses i-e he is not pious, commits zana, drinks wine.....subhanALlah the nation does everything wrong yet is eligible for their share.....while Syeds have to be screened for piouty, level of Islamic education and sense of responsibility inorder to be eligible for what is their God given right.

Syeds do this, Syeds do that .....tsk I have been on this forum for quite a long time now. Don't remember a single thread created by a Syed to degrade the Ummah like does the Ummah in honor of Sadaat.

Fi-Amanillah

Edited by inshaAllah

Salams

You have asked a question. Now try to understand it.

Alms-tax is the right of the nation of Allah's Prophet P.b.u.H. While Khums is the right of Allah. Allah does not share the right of Alms-tax with the nation because according to our Imams, it is the dirt of our hands. And it is Allah's love for His Prophet, that He has included the Prophet's share with that of His own. Likewise Allah has included the share of the Prophet's family with that of his own. Sadaat, whom you are reffering to, are the decendants of the immaculate progeny of the Prophet. Ofcourse they don't share the virtues similar to that of Masumeen. But they are the proof of Quran's Surah Kauthar and are the progeny of those Masumeen a.s and the family of the Prophet P.b.u.H. So they don't get Sadqa until Qayamah, because Allah has made it haram on the Prophet's family up until the ressurection day.

On a side note, I don't understand why it's a big deal. Since the times of our Imams, most of the sa'daat were deprived of their right of Khums anyway. Even I don't remember the day I received a single penny of Khums (in a Muslim Majority country) when I needed it the most. But I have seen plenty of nonsyed friends taking their right and I was happy for them. But the point is, why complain ... as if we have become millionaires living off the "special money" bestowed on us by the ummmah..... nowadays....they can't stand us anyway....... Khums only goes to the Mujtahideen who are considered trustworthy but if someone asks them to help a needy syed neighbour or a beggar, they'll make

predicted excuses i-e he is not pious, commits zana, drinks wine.....subhanALlah the nation does everything wrong yet is eligible for their share.....while Syeds have to be screened for piouty, level of Islamic education and sense of responsibility inorder to be eligible for what is their God given right.

Syeds do this, Syeds do that .....tsk I have been on this forum for quite a long time now. Don't remember a single thread created by a Syed to degrade the Ummah like does the Ummah in honor of Sadaat.

Fi-Amanillah

It's not the actual monetary amount that is an issue as much as the fact that this negates the core concept of Islam of equality among people of all races. It's the principle of the thing. We're not talking about what actually happens but what is in our religion. Muslims are imperfect and inconsistent, but Islam is perfect and consistent, therefore when discussing religious issues, we need to focus on the Islam part and leave aside the Muslims part.

I still don't agree that the prophet's descendants should get special money by the accident of birth; this disagrees with the Islamic concept of equality. It's somewhat like original sin, almost-- that you are given special/different treatment because of who your ancestors were.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that alms-tax is the right of the Prophet and khums is the right of Allah. Can you please expand upon this? It seems to be a matter of semantics and seems to me to be one of those statements that's appeals to our emotions. Also, how did you arrive at the conclusion that Surah Kausar (i.e. the surah that talks about the heavenly fountain) has anything to do with syeds? Again, this seems to be one of those statements that is supposed to arouse warm, fuzzy feelings. Perhaps you did not express yourself clearly or I have misunderstood the logic. HOwever, you have not demonstrated a clear, logical connection, but instead, have tried to blind people with warm, fuzzy emotions in your post.

It's not the actual monetary amount that is an issue as much as the fact that this negates the core concept of Islam of equality among people of all races. It's the principle of the thing. We're not talking about what actually happens but what is in our religion. Muslims are imperfect and inconsistent, but Islam is perfect and consistent, therefore when discussing religious issues, we need to focus on the Islam part and leave aside the Muslims part.

I still don't agree that the prophet's descendants should get special money by the accident of birth; this disagrees with the Islamic concept of equality. It's somewhat like original sin, almost-- that you are given special/different treatment because of who your ancestors were.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that alms-tax is the right of the Prophet and khums is the right of Allah. Can you please expand upon this? It seems to be a matter of semantics and seems to me to be one of those statements that's appeals to our emotions. Also, how did you arrive at the conclusion that Surah Kausar (i.e. the surah that talks about the heavenly fountain) has anything to do with syeds? Again, this seems to be one of those statements that is supposed to arouse warm, fuzzy feelings. Perhaps you did not express yourself clearly or I have misunderstood the logic. HOwever, you have not demonstrated a clear, logical connection, but instead, have tried to blind people with warm, fuzzy emotions in your post.

(salam)

I request you to go through post 18 and 30 of the following thread since they provide answers to your concern in detail. Thankyou.

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=234930876

Fi-Amanillah

You may be able to trace you grandfather's side all the way, but there are many, many people who contributed to your making. There is very little chance that every single one of your syed grandfathers married syed grandmothers. In addition, there has been lots of microevolution. If you want proof-- do you look Arab? You probably hardly look like the prophet.

My family shajarah contains male and female lineage thats how i know omly one woman was none syed. Also do you know what the Phrophet looked like as regards for looking liike him or not I dont know so how can you. My family follow closely the sunnah of the Prophet and as Islam is an adaptable way of life it lends itself to modern day living also so no I dont ride a camel but i do ride horses and also my landcruiser. Your line of thinking is certainly unguided as your statemants dont dtand under scrutiny.

Can you please tell me what verse that is so I can look it up? Also, I'm not denying that syeds need to be respected, but I am saying that the respect that syeds deserve is no different from the respect that any other human being deserves. Also, I'm saying that you need to respect syeds, but giving them special money doesn't necessarily equate to respect. If you say that syeds get special money because we are told to respect them-- that's not logical, special money doesn't equate to respect.

The 33rd aayah of Surah Aal-e-Imran

The Shakir translation

Surely Allah chose Adam and Nuh and the descendants of Ibrahim and the descendants of Imran above the nations

Those chosen by Allah as above others merit consideration and respect simply due to that fact.

That is one aspect of the matter.

Your other issue is Khums. It is tax levied by the ordain of Allah and is divided into two parts, as you are already aware. Why Allah ordained that the desecendants of the Prophet be shielded from being the recipients of alms andcharity, as well as from zakaat, Allah knows better. What little I know is that Allah did ordain needy Sayyeds be supported with money that is due to Him, Allah.

I am a Syed, and I too have never received any khums in my life as brother Inshallah nor did my father or Grandfather receive it. Alhamdololilha I have given Khums to my nonsyed Alim the 2nd part of Khums, and first part to those syeds who deserve it such as orphans.

For Syeds it should also be noted that sadqa is haram as well as fitra from nonsyed.

I beleive overall out actions will have an impact on the Day of Judgement, and those Syeds who take religon for granted are more answerable to Allah than nonsyeds because denying the signs of Allah is hypocricy and hypocrites are in the worst part of hell as Quran says.

Also, how did you arrive at the conclusion that Surah Kausar (i.e. the surah that talks about the heavenly fountain) has anything to do with syeds?

Yeah, I'm not clear on this issue either... If Aal e Mohammad[saww] is Qaim due to Qaim e Aal e Mohammad[saww]... then how do Syeds pride themselves according to this ayat?

Also, some Sunnis who revere the first three Khalifas are called Syeds... should we respect those who degrade Maula Ali[as] ? I certainly don't think so.

But then I was also told that you should respect Syeds simply because they are included in the line of the Prophet[saww]. Just like we repect the Quran even though it contains words like 'pig' which we despise. But I've seen people I've found despicable whom I've been told to respect-- at least outwardly-- because they are 'Syed', like there's a certain protocol when you meet the Prime Minister or Ministers etc even though they may be corrupt people... eh I'm still not clear on the matter...

The Shakir translation

Surely Allah chose Adam and Nuh and the descendants of Ibrahim and the descendants of Imran above the nations

Those chosen by Allah as above others merit consideration and respect simply due to that fact.

That's true. So I suppose we should respect Syeds on this issue--birth. But if believe them superior according to birth, do we have to believe them superior in every respect?

For instance, Abu Jahl was superior by birth, being included in the 'descendents of Imran', but we don't respect him at all.

So should it be: Syed is as Syed does?

My family shajarah contains male and female lineage thats how i know omly one woman was none syed. Also do you know what the Phrophet looked like as regards for looking liike him or not I dont know so how can you. My family follow closely the sunnah of the Prophet and as Islam is an adaptable way of life it lends itself to modern day living also so no I dont ride a camel but i do ride horses and also my landcruiser. Your line of thinking is certainly unguided as your statemants dont dtand under scrutiny.

I concede this point-- you may be able to trace your family back to him completely. However, there's also microevolution which can alter a lot. Neither one of us know how the Prophet looked. However, one thing I can say, based on my background in biology, that you probably do not look anything like him. Why? Well one of the things that can nudge along microevolution is the environment-- more specifically, migration to a different country. The climate in a different country can change a person's physical appearance, or less obviously, the inner workings of the human body. Time can cause a person to change over a mere lifetime, think about what time can do over many, many generations.

As for the Quranic verse about particular families being chosen over others, it applies only to the immediate descendents as well as the pure descendants. Let me clarify; the descendents of the prophets mentioned include the Ahlul Bayt and the 12th Imam. This bloodline allows us to narrow down the pool to the people from which the 12th Imam could arise. That doesn't mean the entire bloodline is superior, but rather, particular people in that bloodline, such as the 12th imam, are superior. In a nutshell, not every person in the mentioned progeny is elevated above other humans, only the infallibles within that bloodline.

"The Holy Prophet and his Ahl ul Bayt are in the posterity of Ibrahim, therefore, in the light of this verse [3:33], they are chosen in preference to all the created beings. They are superior to every human being." (Tafsir Durr al Manthur; and Mawahib al Ladunniya).

LOL according to which hadith, which ayath from Quran?

look below :

The Shakir translation

That is one aspect of the matter.

Your other issue is Khums. It is tax levied by the ordain of Allah and is divided into two parts, as you are already aware. Why Allah ordained that the desecendants of the Prophet be shielded from being the recipients of alms andcharity, as well as from zakaat, Allah knows better. What little I know is that Allah did ordain needy Sayyeds be supported with money that is due to Him, Allah.

For instance, Abu Jahl was superior by birth, being included in the 'descendents of Imran', but we don't respect him at all.

So should it be: Syed is as Syed does?

Abu Jahl wasn't a sayyid.

Yes...

YUSUFALI: That man can have nothing but what he strives for

Irrelevent ayah.

^ Before giving your one liner tafsirs that world was created for syeds etc and misinterpreting Quran on your own to create fitna… please read Tafsir of Ulema. You should know this ayah is for Ahlebaith and not Syeds.

Sura 3 Aya 33 to 33

Åöäøó Çááøåó ÇÕúØóÝóì ÂÏóãó æóäõæÍðÇ æóÂáó ÅöÈúÑóÇåöíãó æóÂáó ÚöãúÑóÇäó Úóáóì ÇáúÚóÇáóãöíäó {33}

[shakir 3:33] Surely Allah chose Adam and Nuh and the descendants of Ibrahim and the descendants of Imran above the nations.

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 3:33]

In this verse Adam and Nuh are mentioned by their names, whereas Ibrahim and Imran are mentioned with reference to their posterity. Al (the posterity) of Adam and Nuh have not been included in the category of the chosen ones, because there were several ungodly and wicked persons in their lineage, but in the al (immediate issues) of Ibrahim (Ismail and Is-haq) and Imran (Musa and Harun), holy men of God, were chosen as messengers of Allah.

The mention of Ibrahim and Imran, undisputedly amongst the holiest prophets of Allah, has been made in this verse with reference to their posterity, because according to the religious annotation, in the word al the spiritual quality of a posterity automatically includes the immediate ancestor or the founder of a family. Al or Ahl ul Bayt, commonly used to address the members of a family, is exclusively reserved, in the religious and spiritual act of referring, for the holiest members of the family of the Holy Prophet who are identical with each other in their personal purity and spiritual sanctity (Ahzab: 33).

The Holy Prophet and his Ahl ul Bayt are in the posterity of Ibrahim, therefore, in the light of this verse, they are chosen in preference to all the created beings. They are superior to every human being. (Tafsir Durr al Manthur; and Mawahib al Ladunniya).

http://www.al-islam.org/quran/

Irrelevent ayah.

haha

so you mean syeds are exceptional to this ayah?

YUSUFALI: That man can have nothing but what he strives for