Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Abdullah Mohammad

What Is Your View On Islamic Clothing?

Rate this topic

(salam) ,

I am a devout Muslim, and as such, I dress in a very traditional way. Most of the time, you will find me wearing white Thobes, a Keffiyeh and Egal, or a Turban. I live in the West, in the very secular, modern, and urban city of Miami, Florida. Because of where I live, I often get asked/laughed at/ or harassed because of my clothing. So, it has been a very important topic for me.

So my question is this: Do you think Muslims living in the West should not only follow the principles of Modesty, but dress in a Traditional Islamic way? Should they reject modern secular forms of dress?

I believe that the clothes are a part of the Religion of Islam because,

1.Traditional Islamic Clothing is beautiful, yet modest, and adorns the body in a way that always reminds one of Allah.

2. It identifies one as a Muslim, which one should be with pride, and shows others that you are a follower of Allah.

3. There is a Hadith that states a Muslim should not wear clothes to look like a non-Muslim.

Islamic traditional clothes? Can u plz provide me with authnetic Islami sources where they define traditional Islamic clothes? My friend there is no such thing as traditional Islamic clothes. U r wearing traditional ARABIC clothes. And Arabs r not the only Muslims and certainly not the standard for Muslims. Arabic clothes r not Islamic clothes. U have been a victim of being mixed up between Islam and culture which is a VERY VERY dangerous situation. U should clear out what is Islam and what is culture and set a line between them. Non Muslims will get the wrong and BAD impression of Islam as u have mentioned.

i dont not believe that people should not be judged on what they wear, therefore i dont believe that traditional clothing is a must. it is beautiful and if it helps a certain someone become closer to Allah than they should wear it.

People should stop judging the appearance and start judging the personality (actually they shouldnt judge at all but if they do)

I think it's up to the person whether they want to dress traditionally or not. Dishdasha's are really nice but if people are gonna wear them then they should make sure they represent Islam positively.

Islamic traditional clothes? Can u plz provide me with authnetic Islami sources where they define traditional Islamic clothes? My friend there is no such thing as traditional Islamic clothes. U r wearing traditional ARABIC clothes. And Arabs r not the only Muslims and certainly not the standard for Muslims. Arabic clothes r not Islamic clothes. U have been a victim of being mixed up between Islam and culture which is a VERY VERY dangerous situation. U should clear out what is Islam and what is culture and set a line between them. Non Muslims will get the wrong and BAD impression of Islam as u have mentioned.

Yes there is such a thing as traditional Islamic clothing. Where do you suppose sheikhs got their dresscode from? Turbans, dishdasha's, abaa's etc are all Islamic clothing.

wasalaam

OK apart from those which are for Alims generally, what other traditional Islamic clothes r their? And I dont think the clothes he mentioned r Islamic. The Islamic dresscode u mentioned is to wear a turban, wear a light cloth over the shoulders.

Islamic clothes don't have to be Arab clothes. Those are just examples. Other examples include Salwar Kameez, or Kurta, which have their origins in Muslim India.

The reason they are Islamic is because modern Western clothes are made for and by people who are secular, non-religious, and Godless.

Islamic Clothes are made for and by Muslims, to inspire the beauty and majesty of Allah, and remind us of his constant presence. Much like the purpose of the Jewish cap and Tallit shawl.

For example, I know I wouldn't be comfortable praying or reading the Qur'an in a Nike basketball shirt and baggy jeans.

These clothes don't inspire the presence and majesty of Allah, and are discouraged by the Prophet (pbuh).

The Prophet forbade the wearing of clothing that makes one look like a non Muslim.

These clothes are not of God, and are secular and non spiritual in nature. They are heathen and should be avoided.

You can wear normal western clothes and still look modest!

Especially in U.S.A wouldn't people think your a terrorist if you walking around in a dishdasha? @)

Anyone who thinks someone is a terrorist simply because they're wearing a dishdasha is an ignorant bigot and we can't change everything we do to please ignorant bigots. And anyway, wearing a dishdasha is a chance to prove that you're not a terrorist or a ''radical muslim'' by displaying excellent akhlaq, speaking wise words etc.

wasalaam

Salaam allaikum,

Most certainly the prophet told the muslimeen not to dress like the kufar. This is lest they begin to think, act, or behave like them.

Remember in prison what they first take away is your clothing. To strip someone of their ISLAMIC IDENTITY they have done the same. Look at the two countries in the world who wear western dress exclusively? Turkey and Iran. One was the center of Sunni power and the other a center of SHII power. To break someone the colonialist powers took away the clothing of these two nations. Once the clothing comes off the man is bare and you can shape him as you wish.

Brother you are doing right by wearing the islamic dress. I can only encourage you to continue seeking closeness to Allah and the way of his prophet. I do have one caution: IF you judge the clothing to get int he way of you going near to Allah then you should know that its not wajib. Don't let a mustahabat get in the way of wajibat. Otherwise from what i have read about islam...Allah is pleased with clothes which us as muslims; May Allah bless you on this path.

Anyone who thinks someone is a terrorist simply because they're wearing a dishdasha is an ignorant bigot and we can't change everything we do to please ignorant bigots. And anyway, wearing a dishdasha is a chance to prove that you're not a terrorist or a ''radical muslim'' by displaying excellent akhlaq, speaking wise words etc.

wasalaam

very true... Radical Muslims? please explain...jazakallah...