Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

To What Extent Is Lying Allowed?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Assalam ALaikum

Most prolly this question has been asked been asked before but here goes. To what extent is lying allowed? Is it allowed when you are joking? Is telling the practically wrong thing allowed which implies another meaning? e.g if you take your sentence word for word it woul be a lie but if you understood its implied meaning it wouldnt be a lie. So is saying sentences which imply another meaning allowed?

Someone told em that lying is allowed when you are joking if it does not harm anyone. Is this true?

i dont think saying 1000 jokes a day and 1000 lies a day is ok..i think lying may be ok if life was on the line..becuz other than this God knows best,every situation is diff. but habitual lying will make everyone come to know that one is a habitual liar.then there is trust/security issues as well as many other issues arising.

Edited by gogiison2
  • Advanced Member

As far as I know, you're allowed to lie when your life is at risk, when the lie will bring two people together or when it is a complement (e.g. Telling your wife she's pretty when she isn't)

I don't know about joking though. I don't think there's anything wrong with lieing as a joke if it's clear that it's a joke.

well someone made a joke which was a lie and there was no harm in it. i am a person who does not lie at all and this irritates people. so i asked the guy why he was lying. the guy replied scornfully and called me an extremist.

either way its better to refrain from useless talk. dont alwayz worry what the majority think. inshaUllah we will all succeed... to take it 1 step further may u share what the person said?? and without using his identity. we can start from there. what im assuming is it may be a neg. thought which should alwayz be kept away from momin or one who wants to achieve this status.

Edited by gogiison2
  • Advanced Member

OK its like this (plz dont laugh it this being a small thing):

umm there was a kid (a few years old) and my friend was playing around with him. so like that guy kept hiding from the kid. so the kid came into our room and askedwhere that guy was. so that guys bro told him he was outside whereas the guy was actually hidin in the same room. so bsaically helied about the position of his bro. i frowned at him slightly and said lying? he replied scornfully that i m being an extremist. these lies are allowed as they r just jokes and no one is being harmed.

i know this seems to be a petty issue but i just wanted to confirm.

umm there was a kid (a few years old) and my friend was playing around with him. so like that guy kept hiding from the kid. so the kid came into our room and askedwhere that guy was. so that guys bro told him he was outside whereas the guy was actually hidin in the same room. so bsaically helied about the position of his bro. i frowned at him slightly and said lying? he replied scornfully that i m being an extremist. these lies are allowed as they r just jokes and no one is being harmed.

brother plz dont worry if one laughs when u want to learn. i mean i think every situation is diff regardless if one wants to play or not. i personally think they can find more suitable games. and i guess the best thing to do would be to tell the kid he was in the room and tell them to go play somewhere else lol i hope this helped.

Guest Power Of 786

(salam)

Like sis strawberry said, you can like if your life in at risk.

And say for eg. your friends had a fight and they are not at ready to be friends again, so by lying, if you can patch them up, than i dont think theres anything wrong it it.

If your lie can safe a life, than its ok!!

• Advanced Member

That doesn't seem like a lie lie. He was just joking around.

• Advanced Member

Lying is not permissible even in jest. Here is the relevant section in the book Greater Sins by Ayatullah Dastaghaib Shirazi:

Lying in jest and pleasantry

Lying in jest is another kind of falsehood. For instance, telling a simpleton that, “A certain lady wants to marry you,” or “that person has invited you for dinner tonight,” when actually there is no truth in it. This type of falsehood is also Harām as proved conclusively from the traditions.

Certain Mujtahids opine that if something untrue is said in jest, and it is clearly understood to be a joke, then it is permitted. However, other Mujtahids regard even a falsehood in jest to be absolutely Harām, whether it is an apparent joke or not, as a precautionary measure. The traditions also confirm that lying even in jest is not permitted.

Total abstinence from lying

Hazrat Imam Zayn ul-’Abidīn (a.s.) says,

Avoid falsehood, whether it is small or big, in solemnity or jest.”

(al-Kāfi)

Hazrat Amir ul-Mu’minīn (a.s.) said,

No man can taste faith, till the time he completely forgoes lying, in solemnity and in jest.”

(al-Kāfi)

It is also related from Amir ul-Mu’minīn (a.s.) that he said:

There is no merit in falsehood, whether in seriousness or in jest. Do not even promise your child something if you do not intend to fulfill it. Certainly, falsehood leads man to sin (fearlessly) and (this) leads to the Fire.

(Wasa’il ul-Shia)

The Holy Prophet (S) in his advice to Abu Zar Ghaffari (r.a.) says:

O Abu Zar one who protects his private parts and his tongue shall enter Paradise. One who utters a small falsehood in company of people to make them laugh, that same lie shall take him towards Hell.”

O Abu Zar, woe be upon the one who speaks falsehood to make people laugh. Woe be upon him woe be upon him O Abu Zar. One who remains silent will obtain salvation. Then silence is a must for you (in place of falsehood). Not even the smallest lie should be uttered by you.”

Abu Zar (r.a.) says that he asked,

“O Messenger of Allah, what is the repentance of the one who has intentionally spoken a lie?”

The Holy Prophet (S) replied:

The sin shall be erased by Istighfar (seeking forgiveness) and by the five-times prayers.

(Wasa’il ul-Shia)

The rest of the section can be read here:

http://www.al-islam.org/greater_sins_complete/22.htm#15

• 7 months later...
  • Advanced Member
No, lying to the wife is impermissible. At least according to Ayatullah Sistani.

The ahadith which says that lying to the wife is okay, are considered weak by our ulema.

-Do I look fat in this?

-Yes

*slap!*

-Your sleeping on the couch tonight!!!

:D

Unavoidable situation in Islam :P

• Advanced Member
No, lying to the wife is impermissible. At least according to Ayatullah Sistani.

The ahadith which says that lying to the wife is okay, are considered weak by our ulema.

I heard that in one of the Friday sermons. Lecturer could've been mistaken.

• Advanced Member
-Do I look fat in this?

-Yes

*slap!*

-Your sleeping on the couch tonight!!!

:D

Unavoidable situation in Islam :P

LOL!

I heard that in one of the Friday sermons. Lecturer could've been mistaken.

Yes, it is widely believed that lying/making a false promise to one's wife is permissible. That's why I asked Sistani's office and they said it's not.

Edited by Whizbee

Humaid b. 'Abd al-Rahman b. 'Auf reported that his mother Umm Kulthum, daughter of 'Uqba b. Abu Mu'ait, and she was one amongst the first emigrants who pledged allegiance to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him), as saying that she heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying:

"A liar is not one who tries to bring reconciliation amongst people and speaks good (in order to avert dispute), or he conveys good. Ibn Shihab said he did not hear that exemption was granted in anything what the people speak as lie but in three cases: in battle, for bringing reconciliation amongst persons, and the narration of the words of the husband to his wife, and the narration of the words of a wife to her husband (in a twisted form in order to bring reconciliation between them)." Sahih Muslim Book #32, #6303

• 12 years later...
  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

I'm in trouble, almost all my jokes involve saying things that are blatantly not true, deliberate misunderstandings, or extreme exaggerations

Lying in jest is another kind of falsehood. For instance, telling a simpleton that, “A certain lady wants to marry you,” or “that person has invited you for dinner tonight,” when actually there is no truth in it. This type of falsehood is also Harām as proved conclusively from the traditions.

Certain Mujtahids opine that if something untrue is said in jest, and it is clearly understood to be a joke, then it is permitted. However, other Mujtahids regard even a falsehood in jest to be absolutely Harām, whether it is an apparent joke or not, as a precautionary measure. The traditions also confirm that lying even in jest is not permitted.

Is the issue that the lie is the joke, or can I make a joke that is a lie?

Edited by guest 2025
  • Advanced Member

Are jokes like these permitted?

The body of a 40 year old woman was found in a Mcdonalds processing plant. Police identified her as Patty.

The first case of mad cow disease since 2006 was discovered right here in the United States. The good news, since the cow is in California, instead of putting the cow down, they are going to enroll him in anger management classes.

Today on her show, Oprah Winfrey talked about her experience of going vegan for a week and not touching any meat. She said it was easy—all she ate was Taco Bell.

All of these are clearly not true, those things clearly didn't happen. So is making those kinds of jokes haram?
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

@guest 2025 Salam I don't  see anything that says jokes like your jokes are haram but too much joking  is not recommended  & saw as cause of corruption  of personality & decreasing  of mind & thinking power but in limited form for making happiness  of believers (Mumin people) like above jokes that everyone  knows just for laughing  it has no issue.

• Advanced Member
On 7/1/2020 at 1:37 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

@guest 2025 Salam I don't  see anything that says jokes like your jokes are haram but too much joking  is not recommended  & saw as cause of corruption  of personality & decreasing  of mind & thinking power but in limited form for making happiness  of believers (Mumin people) like above jokes that everyone  knows just for laughing  it has no issue.

That's a relief, thank you

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Two envy one for religion and one for talent

one a maternal another in creation

So two claim to be Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) by claiming to have guided or protected or taught one

Two claim to be for the welfare of one whilst they're against by all means necessary complementing or supplimenting one another.

both are doing so out of fulfilling their masters(la)'s spells like 7:27 both of them and their master(la) watch from a position where one can't see them

Two took Witnessing(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) for jest & claim to have inspired one, 'we' have a 'trust' to 'fool feel' 

is that your dog abd?

is this a joke or a lie?

Edited by Mzwakhe
fool feel