Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Afghans

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Ok so the Afghan society at uni is having a debate with the Greek society tomorrow.....it's just meant to be a casual fun thing......the topic is ''Afghans are bizarre'' and we're the affirmative side. I'm first speaker :squeez:.....and if we win we go against the Indians. Now I also happen to have a very difficult law assignment due 2moro which I haven't really started yet :cry: ......so please have some mercy on me and help me out by listing some things that you guys have found bizarre about Afghans/Afghan culture etc...it would be very much appreciated (nothing offensive obviously, just some light hearted fun). Help from the Afghans on the forum in particular would be great....and if u guys have one of those ''you know you're Afghan when...'' lists somewhere please post it. Thanks :D

wasalaam

Edited by ~RuQaYaH~

what kind of negative teachings are these?? not all Afghans are alike.so i think its a racial way of putting that "they" are bizarre as a whole. WHY make it a ""fun"" game to whoever is trying to justify this. is this really "fun"...its crazy how people define "fun". nothing against u sister ,im not Afgan and still it makes me feel embarrassed.

Edited by gogiison2
  • Advanced Member

^I do see where you're coming from but I never said it should be negative things (in fact, I said ''nothing offensive'' in my opening post). I'm saying things like, for example, the fact that most Afghans drink atleast 5 glasses of tea a day....it's bizarre, but it's not negative or racist.....just a fact of life. And ofcourse not all Afghans are alike, but there is an Afghan culture and there are similarities which many Afghans share. As I said, it's just some light hearted fun - you may not be able to see it that way but the Afghans at uni do and they're not being offended by this :)

wasalaam

^I do see where you're coming from but I never said it should be negative things (in fact, I said ''nothing offensive'' in my opening post). I'm saying things like, for example, the fact that most Afghans drink atleast 5 glasses of tea a day....it's bizarre, but it's not negative or racist.....just a fact of life. And ofcourse not all Afghans are alike, but there is an Afghan culture and there are similarities which many Afghans share. As I said, it's just some light hearted fun - you may not be able to see it that way but the Afghans at uni do and they're not being offended by this :)

wasalaam

the title Afghans or Americans or Pakistanis or Iranians are bizaare..is a negative, regarless of how u view it...could the title not be changed to something more suitable like "questioning the culture"..becuz fun and labeling a nation bizarre i believe dont mix.

Edited by gogiison2
  • Advanced Member

Actually bizarre is not negative regardless of how one views it. Bizarre means something that's against convention, it's not necessarily something negative.....there are plenty of positive things that are considered bizarre. Anywayz, even if i wanted to change the title i can't coz the president of the afghan society came up with it and it's up to her and plus it's too late.

wasalaam

Actually bizarre is not negative regardless of how one views it. Bizarre means something that's against convention, it's not necessarily something negative.....there are plenty of positive things that are considered bizarre. Anywayz, even if i wanted to change the title i can't coz the president of the afghan society came up with it and it's up to her and plus it's too late.

wasalaam

bizarre meaning odd or unusual or unconventional sounds like it is implying negative attributes to a nation , in this case Afghanistan. so yes i do think we could all do better in selection of title.

wasalaam

bizarre meaning odd or unusual or unconventional sounds like it is implying negative attributes to a nation , in this case Afghanistan. so yes i do think we could all do better in selection of title. thats like saying a nation is dirty and then saying dirty is not alwayz bad becuz they are hard workers and thus become very dirty.

• Advanced Member
bizarre meaning odd or unusual or unconventional sounds like it is implying negative attributes to a nation , in this case Afghanistan. so yes i do think we could all do better in selection of title.

Unconventional things can be either positive or negative or neither. Now the fact that a group of Afghan students are arguing on the affirmative side of this debate and are doing it in a casual/fun setting implies that it is not attributing negative things to a nation. Anyway, as I said, I couldn't change the title even if I wanted to.

Unconventional things can be either positive or negative or neither. Now the fact that a group of Afghan students are arguing on the affirmative side of this debate and are doing it in a casual/fun setting implies that it is not attributing negative things to a nation. Anyway, as I said, I couldn't change the title even if I wanted to.

ya but i think it better to refrain from any topic stating a nation is dirty and hard working and trying to make it fun. also if u imply a Molana or Molvie is bizarre or odd or unusual or the likes of these words,these i believe will be taken as a negative.

Edited by gogiison2
  • Advanced Member

dirty??? lol I don't know where you got that from bro. Look I agree with you that generally, if one were to say that people of this nation are bizarre, it would give a negative implication. But the circumstances of this debate (which i outlined in the post above) very clearly demonstrate that there is no negativity being associated with the term bizarre here and it is clearly just light hearted fun. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree :)

• Advanced Member

Ok let me reiterate. Bizarre does not mean bad.

edit: ok i got one......afghans take HEAPS of gifts to all their relatives whenever they go overseas....i'm talking like atleast one humongous suitcase filled with just gifts......but im not sure if other nationalities do this too? :unsure: coz i haven't seen any other ppl do it to the same extent as afghans

Edited by ~RuQaYaH~
  • Advanced Member

^well yeah, afghans are definitely extremely hospitable people......but so are greeks/lebanese/iraqi's etc so i cant really use that

how bout the fact that afghan parents think that females going driving with friends is more innocent than going to the movies with friends :lol:

Edited by ~RuQaYaH~
dirty??? lol I don't know where you got that from bro. Look I agree with you that generally, if one were to say that people of this nation are bizarre, it would give a negative implication. But the circumstances of this debate (which i outlined in the post above) very clearly demonstrate that there is no negativity being associated with the term bizarre here and it is clearly just light hearted fun. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree :)

u said bizarre and i am giving another example on how these terms can be used in a negative as the topic u stated has been presented.

• Advanced Member

some afghans still sell their daughters by weight for marriage, so two days before the girl eats kilos of boiled rice and drinks gallons of water before the weighin as it were. i think my wife must have ate her sisters shares also shes still pretty bulky!

• Advanced Member

^:huh: I have no idea what you're talking about

and yes, jalalabad is in Afg

edit: that was meant for sayed agha.....and yeah, please be nice....anything deemed as racist will be edited :)

Edited by ~RuQaYaH~
  • Advanced Member

salams

lol ruqs didnt ask for the definition of bizarre, if u dont have any suggestions answering her qn, dont reply then :) saves a lot of time

EDIT: after a long search

YOU KNOW YOU'RE AFGHAN WHEN...

-You are an illegal immigrant

-Your parents still tried to get you into places half-price saying you were 12 ...when you were really 17.

-You have a fake name and a fake birthday

-Your dad has insulted you by insulting himself

-You don’t even ask what’s for dinner anymore because you know its berinj

-You never leave home without ur tarmoz chai

-You drink chai no matter how hot it is outside

-You refuse to buy tea from Tim Hortons/Second Cup etc... cuz ur convinced white ppl haven't figured out how to make a decent cup

-You have AFG stuff all over ur house/room, including flags, clothes, and a framed picture of the Afghan girl who made the cover of National Geographic

-You have eaten berinj with your hands and did so like a pro

-No matter where you travel, you know you never have to pay for a hotel

-You call in your work sickdays a day or two in advance

-You just let the house phone ring cause you don't feel like gettin up, but will run a mile to answer yo cell

-You'd rather look all over the house for the remote instead of juat pushing the button on the T.V.

-You think you can fix any T.V. or Radio just by hitting it a few times real hard

-You still eat fruit loops, cereal for breakfast

-Your parents try to hook you up at every event/gathering you attend together… They be pimpin’ :o

-Your freezer is filled with nothing but gosht & naan khushk

-You love noql

-You get unnatural cravings for doogh

-Your family goes on a picnic every Sunday

-You kiss 3 times when you greet someone and ask “how are you?” 93824712893 times

-You go shopping with your parents, and see something you want, but they complain about how much everything costs and INSIST that you can get the same thing for a cheaper price at Wal-mart.

-Your every sentence starts with “bachemmm”

-You eat lunch at 5pm and dinner at 11pm

-The only song you play at a party is "Sitare-balbali"…

-You hear the same songs at ALL weddings/parties etc…

-Your parents have heard the same songs back in their day

-So have your grandparents

-So will your kids...

-You're forced to wear your older brothers suits after he's outgrown them

-You're forced to buy shoes two sizes larger so they can last

-You don't have to worry about remembering people's names, Khaala Jan/Kaaka Jan will do

-You consider twirling ur hands in the air while walking in a circle dancing :P

-You eat "raisin soup" (awe naw rooz/haft mewa) once a year

-You have at leas one set of china in your house with a peackock or red china set with that oriental design (yes you know which one I'm talking about..)

-You know ALL Afghan's that live within 1000 miles of u, your parents may possibly know just about every Afghan in the world

-You have more then three containers of sourcream/yogurt in your fridge

-You never get along with Pakistani people

-Your parents can make everything rhyme even if it means inventing words “rahdio mahdio, naan maan, piaz miaz, boot moot, telwizoon malwisoon”

-You have aunt's/cousins who claim they are turning 21 at every birthday for the last 10 years

-When your parents want to call your name, they will say everyone of your 458758738547 brothers and sisters name before they get to yours.

-You have lived in Germany/Russia

-You wear a T-shirt under a revealing dress at weddings, totally killing the design

-Your mom and aunts wake up early every weekend and race to garage sales

-You get house warming gifts and will give them to some other Afghan. This will continue from house to house until it will eventually make it’s way back to you.

-You’ve caught re-gifters by looking at the expiration dates on boxes of chocolates

-You have falsely claimed to be from Kabul

-You regularly fit 15 people in a Honda Civic

-Your mom and dad don't use their first names when calling each other

-You are walked out, all the way to the driveway by EVERYONE for the Khuda Hafezee’s when you’re a guest at someone’s house.

-Those not accompanying you all the way to your car get yelled at/talked about for snubbing you

-You love reppin' your country

-You purposely mispronounce words when speaking to other Afghans, like 'estop sign' etc... so as not to be labelled “Canadahi”

-You have 10 towels for decoration in the bathroom but you aren't allowed to use a single one

-Your parents bring home green unripe bananas and wait for them the ripen

-You can't stand most Persians

-All 423548549867 of your uncle's/cousin's/etc. claim to have been engineers/doctors/famous politicians back in Afghanistan

-You carefully unwrap presents to save the wrapping paper so you can use it to re-gift later

-Your house phone starts ringing at 4am in the morning from family back home

-You have more Indian movies than books or magazines in the house

-Your parents have tried to haggle at malls trying to get a discount

-You secretly hate being mistaken for someone from another country

-You have either worked/your family owns, a pizza or convenient store

-You or your dad/uncles drive a taxi

-You have a RED carpet in at least one room in the house, if not ALL.

-Your home décor is considered tasteless if lacking the above type of qaleen

-You have been groomed to say no [the first 5 times you are asked] to things that are being offered to you when you're a guest [ex. food etc.] even if you are dying to have it

-Your parents don’t trust the reception quality of telephones even in this day and age and feel like they have to yell when talking long distance

-Your fridge is full of pita bread

-You have a gazillion family members who are real estate agents

-You drink tea like water, almost compulsively, every hour of the day [most likely sippin' on some as you read this]

-You watch indian movies like crazy but you hate Indian people

-You have mastered the art of Mubalegha, and that's no understatement

-You think you look Spanish/Italian and call yourself a gino/gina

-You have carpets in every room possible in your house

-You've been plastered to the TV from the momment you discovered the Ariana channel

-You gossip during every social event, and end by saying how much you hate gossiping

-You have threatened to bomb someone's house

-You had/own an Accord or Civic

-Your parents have hustled welfare

-Your parents buy bread longer than your bed

-When your parents see another Afghan in the mall they act anything but afghan... in some cases White... :|

-You can tell precisely which city in Afghanistan someone's from just by looking at their nose [flat nosed > Azara, big nose > Kabul, curved nose Panjshir, etc...] and skin colour

-You have a weird nose [and if u were spared, most of ur family members weren't :P]

-You try and reuse gift wrappers, gift boxes, and of course aluminum foil.

-You are Always standing next to the two largest size suitcases at the Airport.

-You arrive one or two hours late to a party - and think it's normal.

-You take Afghan snacks anywhere it says "No Food Allowed"

-You talk for an hour at the front door when leaving someone's house.

-You use plastic to cover anything new in your house whether it's the remote control, VCR, carpet or new couch.

-Your parents tell you not to care what your friends think, but they won't let you do certain things because of what the other "Uncles and Aunties" will think.

-You have a vinyl tablecloth on your kitchen table.

-You use grocery bags to hold garbage.

-You keep leftover food in your fridge in as many numbers of bowls as possible.

-You own a rice cooker or a pressure cooker.

-You fight over who pays the dinner bill.

-You live with your parents and you are 40 years old. (And they prefer it that way).

-You don't use measuring cups when cooking.

-You never learnt how to stand in a queue.

-You only make long distance calls after 11 p.m.

-If you don't live at home, when your parents call, they ask if you've eaten, even if it's midnight.

-You call an older person you never met before Uncle or Aunty

-When your parents meet strangers and talk for a few minutes, you discover you're talking to a distant cousin.

-Your parents don't realize phone connections to foreign countries have

improved in the last two decades, and still scream at the top of their lungs when making foreign calls.

-It's embarrassing if your wedding has less than 600 people.

-All your Tupperware is stained with food color.

-You have mastered the art of bargaining in shopping.

-There is a sale on any item, you buy 100 of them.

-Your mother has a minor disagreement with her (or your dad's) sister and doesn't talk to her for ten years.

-You cook everything with onions

-If you get a 98% on a test your parents ask what happened to the other 2%.

-Your relatives alone could populate a small city.....

-You think you’re better than everyone, just because you’re Afghan!

-Pakistani’s are the butt of all jokes.

-All your aunts want to hook you up with a guy/girl they know.

-You BOUGHT your drivers license.

-You don’t have a job but you drive an SUV, own a house you can’t afford and update your cell phone every month.

-When you arrive to the airport, you find at least 20 relatives waiting to greet you.

-You’re always right!

-When the other kids were eating bagels, you ate your pita bread

-You teach your friends farsi/pashtu swear words and are proud when they use them.

-You avoid your relatives when you see them in public places like the mall..

-You have an endless supply of pistachios...

-Your parents say you're becoming Americanized anytime you get into trouble...

-You can spot an Afghan a mile away

-After a family meal, the women fight to the death over who should wash the dishes while the men sit on their behinds and discuss politics, waiting for their tea...

-Your parents want you to become a doctor or engineer....

-Your mother does everything for you if you are male...

You do all the housework and cooking if you are female... (not always!!!)

-You've had a shoe thrown at you by one of your parents.....

-You join other Afghan groups on Facebook to make damn sure everyone knows what you reppin'

-You don't hesitate to utilize your extensive vocabulary of afghan vulgarity just because someone decided to not agree with you...

-You nodded and smiled (as if you understood exactly what I'm talking about) to more than 80% of the statements listed here.

Edited by fadak_166
salams

lol ruqs didnt ask for the definition of bizarre, if u dont have any suggestions answering her qn, dont reply then :) saves a lot of time

but some love to help if they can. some people like helping more than others but i strongly encourage it so we can unite and learn as a whole.

• Advanced Member
but some love to help if they can. some people like helping more than others but i strongly encourage it so we can unite and learn as a whole.

Just make sure that urs are helpful enough for her! :)

Edited by shukranlillah
  • Advanced Member

Fadak - Have I ever told you how much I love you? Lemme tell you again - I LOVE YOU :wub: That's exactly the type of thing I was looking for

''You know you're Afghan when no matter where you go, you never have to pay for a hotel''

haha my sister just got back from a trip to Iran, England, Holland, France, Germany - didn't have to pay for a hotel in any of em ^_^

• Advanced Member

-You have a RED carpet in at least one room in the house, if not ALL.

-Your home décor is considered tasteless if lacking the above type of qaleen

-You have been groomed to say no [the first 5 times you are asked] to things that are being offered to you when you're a guest [ex. food etc.] even if you are dying to have it

-Your parents don’t trust the reception quality of telephones even in this day and age and feel like they have to yell when talking long distance

Omg I am dying of laughter here lol. Only rooms in my house which have a non-red carpet are my brothers rooms (both of which have cream carpets - next best choice for afghans), and thats only coz we don't have enough red carpets :lol: