Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Friday Prayer

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

(salam)

I have a question regarding Friday juma prayer. If for example an emergency arises and you can't make the juma prayer, is zuhar prayer sufficient to pray. The reason i ask this is i've heard that juma prayer is wajib takyiree which means it's optional. Also if you can't make juma prayer then would the niyat for zuhar be wajib takyiree like you say for the juma prayer or just wajib.

• Advanced Member

If one is not able to say Jumma prayer then one should pray Zuhar with niyat of wajib.

(salam)

I have a question regarding Friday juma prayer. If for example an emergency arises and you can't make the juma prayer, is zuhar prayer sufficient to pray. The reason i ask this is i've heard that juma prayer is wajib takyiree which means it's optional. Also if you can't make juma prayer then would the niyat for zuhar be wajib takyiree like you say for the juma prayer or just wajib.

(salam)

wajib takhyiri simply a technical term which in this context means that if you choose to perform the jum`a salat, then you have fulfilled your wajib duty for salat (i.e. you do not need to perform zuhr). If you do not perform (i.e. participate in) jum`a, then the regular zuhr is still wajib on you.

Remember, niyyat doesn't mean having to recite some special formula out loud or in your head prior to salat, it just means you need to be conscious/aware of and intend to do what you're doing (e.g. that you know you are praying maghrib, and not just three random rak`ats, or that you know you are performing a ghusl janaba, and not just taking a regular shower whose motions happen to coincide with that of a ritual ghusl, etc.) and that you're doing it in obedience to Allah, as opposed to doing it to show off to others (see here for a fuller explanation http://al-islam.org/laws/rulesofnamaaz2.html#952).

Not all `ulema have believed though that jum`a is wajib takhyiri, and often you will see folks (even the imam al-jum`a) performing their zuhr afterwards, just in case.

Edited by macisaac
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Salaam

Brother i think the evidence which by far holds the most weight is that of Surah ul Jumah which prescribes the prayer of Jumah and declares all other things at that specific time as haraam. Unless ofcourse you have a valid sharia reason.

Men are obligated to participate in Friday Prayer. Allah (SWT) said in Surah Al-Jumauah, (verse 9), what can be translated as, "O’ you who believe! When the call is proclaimed to Prayer on Friday hasten earnestly to the remembrance of Allah, and leave off business. That is best for you if you but knew."

• Advanced Member
Salaam

Brother i think the evidence which by far holds the most weight is that of Surah ul Jumah which prescribes the prayer of Jumah and declares all other things at that specific time as haraam. Unless ofcourse you have a valid sharia reason.

Men are obligated to participate in Friday Prayer. Allah (SWT) said in Surah Al-Jumauah, (verse 9), what can be translated as, "O’ you who believe! When the call is proclaimed to Prayer on Friday hasten earnestly to the remembrance of Allah, and leave off business. That is best for you if you but knew."

good to know