Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Aashiq e Rasul

Definition Of Taqiyya.

Rate this topic

As Salaamu alaikum,

Can someone provide me a definition (from a scholar) with sources please.

This is what i got from ayatollah sistani's site.

1) Taqiyah is done for safety reasons. For example, a person fears that he might be killed or harmed, if he does not observe Taqiyah. In this case, it is obligatory to observe Taqiyah.

2) Reconciliatory Taqiyah. This type of Taqiyah is done when a person intends to reconcile with the other side or when he intends to soften their hearts. This kind of Taqiyah is permissible but not obligatory.

3) Sometimes, Taqiyah may cause a more important obligation to be lost or missed, if so it is forbidden. For example, when I know that silence would cause oppression and infidelity to spread and will make people go astray, in such a situation it is not permissible to be silent and to dissimulate.

4) Sometimes, Taqiyah may lead to the death of an innocent person. If so, it is not permissible. It is therefore haram (forbidden) to kill another person to save your own life.

Where do you all get your definition for it?

Wassalaam

Edited by Aashiq e Rasul

Can someone provide me a definition (from a scholar) with sources please.

This is what i got from ayatollah sistani's site.

Where do you all get your definition for it?

I took the following definition of al-Taqiyya from Al-islam.org

"Concealing or disguising one's beliefs, convictions, ideas, feelings, opinions, and/or strategies at a time of eminent danger, whether now or later in time, to save oneself from physical and/or mental injury."

you can see the details: Al-islam.org

Primary source is the Quran:

(Quran says, 016:106 Yusuf Ali): Any one who, after accepting faith in Allah, utters Unbelief,- except under compulsion, his heart remaining firm in Faith - but such as open their breast to Unbelief, on them is Wrath from Allah, and theirs will be a dreadful Penalty.

It is expressed that one can utter disbelief when under compulsion. The above posts by the brother defines what is meant by compulsive situations.

Reconciliatory Taqiyah. This type of Taqiyah is done when a person intends to reconcile with the other side or when he intends to soften their hearts. This kind of Taqiyah is permissible but not obligatory.

This is the one that bothers me though, but jazakallah for the explanation.

Wassalaam

Edited by Aashiq e Rasul

Reconciliatory Taqiyah. This type of Taqiyah is done when a person intends to reconcile with the other side or when he intends to soften their hearts. This kind of Taqiyah is permissible but not obligatory.
This is the one that bothers me though, but jazakallah for the explanation.

Translation of Sahih Muslim, Book 32:

The Book of Virtue, Good Manners and Joining of the Ties of Relationship (Kitab Al-Birr was-Salat-I-wa'l-Adab)

Book 032, Number 6303:

Humaid b. 'Abd al-Rahman b. 'Auf reported that his mother Umm Kulthum daughter of 'Uqba b. Abu Mu'ait, and she was one amongst the first emigrants who pledged allegiance to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him), as saying that she heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: A liar is not one who tries to bring reconciliation amongst people and speaks good (in order to avert dispute), or he conveys good. Ibn Shihab said he did not hear that exemption was granted in anything what the people speak as lie but in three cases: in battle, for bringing reconciliation amongst persons and the narration of the words of the husband to his wife, and the narration of the words of a wife to her husband (in a twisted form in order to bring reconciliation between them).

I hope this will help you.

wasaalam,

^^^ It states 3 conditions do the shia have conditions for that rule as well?

If you are asking about the following part of Hadith, then these are cases/situations NOT conditions. There is a big difference between cases/situations and conditions. Mostly the conditions starts with the word "IF". for example: "IF this happen THEN do that"

"but in three cases: in battle, for bringing reconciliation amongst persons and the narration of the words of the husband to his wife, and the narration of the words of a wife to her husband"

1 - in battle

2 - for bringing reconciliation amongst persons

3 - the narration of the words of the husband to his wife, and the narration of the words of a wife to her husband

The definition i wrote in the beginning of this thread points out the cases/situations well.