Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Jafarr

Is Music Forbidden In Shia Islam?

Rate this topic

Does that mean that it is halal to have a piano at ur house and play soft music to soothe oneself?

(salam)

depends who you choose to listen to. on the other hand grand ayatollah fadlallah allows, all instruments, and halal music. therefore having your piano would not be forbidden.

Q: Are there any impermissible musical instruments?

A: No, we do not say that there are impermissible musical instruments. Hence, if the instruments are accompanied with the permissible singing, they are permissible and if they are played with impermissible singing, they are impermissible.

http://english.bayyn...ts/elaph_p2.htm

also one should consider, shia groups such as Hezbollah have many songs with many instruments in them, for example check out this one

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IhcB_2x13Js

in fact i think i hear piano in there.

---

MODS: look here how people give us - rep points for speaking the views of our marja!

(wasalam)

Edited by theunknownpreacher

i am new tothese discussions but i think some music would be ok not that loud heavy rock band music heavy meatal and stuff some nice calm music shuld be ok in my opion

i am new tothese discussions but i think some music would be ok not that loud heavy rock band music heavy meatal and stuff some nice calm music shuld be ok in my opion

Salam Brother,

I a new to this forum and have already got a nice dose of religion after a long time. I live in Canada and have a passion for music but nothing can prevail on the orders of my Imams who are my leaders and Im ready to sacrifice anything for them. You have given a list of farameen of Imams and they are enough to start a revolution in my whole family who is also fond of music. Is it possible for you to give me pinpoint directions to find the ahadith in the books you have mentioned??

Thank you so much for your consideration.

regards,

Hussain

Salam Brother,

I a new to this forum and have already got a nice dose of religion after a long time. I live in Canada and have a passion for music but nothing can prevail on the orders of my Imams who are my leaders and Im ready to sacrifice anything for them. You have given a list of farameen of Imams and they are enough to start a revolution in my whole family who is also fond of music. Is it possible for you to give me pinpoint directions to find the ahadith in the books you have mentioned??

Thank you so much for your consideration.

regards,

Hussain

Music

1ـ رسولُ اللهِ‏ِ (صَلَّيَ اللهُ عَلَيهِ وَ آلِهِ): إنَّ اللّه‏َ بَعَثَنَي رَحمَةً للعالَمينَ، ولأِمحَقَ المَعازِفَ والمَزاميرَ واُمورَ الجاهِليّةِ.

1– The Prophet (SAWA) said, 'Verily Allah, Mighty and Exalted, sent me as a mercy to the worlds, and in order to eradicate string instruments, the flute and others pre-Islamic pagan practices.'[bihar al-Anwar, v. 79, p. 250, no. 2] 2ـ رسولُ اللهِ (صَلَّيَ اللهُ عَلَيهِ وَ آلِهِ): صَوتانِ مَلعونانِ فِي الدنيا والآخِرَةِ: مِزمارٌ عندَ نِعمَةٍ، ورَنَّةٌ عندَ مُصيبَةٍ.

2– The Prophet (SAWA) said, 'Two sounds are cursed in this world as well as in the Hereafter: the sound of the flute played [in celebration] for a bounty, and the twang [of string instruments played] during a calamity.'[Kanz al-`Ummal, no. 40661] 3ـ الإمامُ الصّادقُ (عَلَيهِ الّسَلامُ): الغِناءُ مِمّا أوعَدَ اللّه‏ُ عَزَّوجلَّ علَيهِ النارَ، وهُو قَولُهُ عَزَّوجلَّ: «ومِنَ الناسِ مَن يَشْتَري لَهْوَ الحَديثِ لِيُضِلَّ عن سَبيلِ اللّه‏ِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ ويَتَّخِذَها هُزُواً اُولئكَ لَهُم عَذابٌ مُهينٌ»

3– Imam al-Sadiq (as) said, 'Singing (or music) is one of the things that Allah, Mighty and Exalted, has threatened to requite with the Fire, and this is the purport of Allah's verse: "Among the people is he who buys diversionary words that he may lead [people] astray from Allah's way without any knowledge, and he takes it in derision."[ Qur'an 31:6]

ميراثُ الغِناءِ

The Effects Engendered by Music

4ـ رسولُ اللهِ‏ِ (صَلَّيَ اللهُ عَلَيهِ وَ آلِهِ): الغِناءُ رُقْيَةُ الزِّنا.

4– The Prophet (SAWA) said, 'Music is a charm of adultery.'[bihar al-Anwar, v. 79, p. 247, no. 26] 5ـ رسولُ اللهِ (صَلَّيَ اللهُ عَلَيهِ وَ آلِهِ): ثلاثٌ يُقسِينَ القَلبَ: استِماعُ اللهوِ، وطَلَبُ الصَّيدِ، وإتيانُ بابِ السُّلطانِ .

5– The Prophet (SAWA) said, 'Three things harden the heart: listening to diversionary words (lahw), seeking [game] to hunt, and frequenting the sultan.'[bihar al-Anwar, v. 79, p. 252, no. 6] 6ـ الإمامُ الصّادقُ (عَلَيهِ الّسَلامُ): الغِناءُ يُورِثُ النِّفاقَ.

6– Imam al-Sadiq (as) said, 'Music engenders hypocrisy.'[bihar al-Anwar, v. 79, p. 241, no. 7]

Also check the chapter on music in this book:

Greater Sins

The marjas have different opinions on what the definition of music is. So check with your marja.

Edited by Replicant

If the hadith supposedly prohibiting music were as clear cut as you claim, then the the maraje would be unanimous in declaring all forms of music haraam. But the fact is, many of them do make a provision for certain types of music so there is more to those hadith than we think. These hadith need to considered in the proper historical context. One of the reasons we see such strong condemnations by the Imams (as) on the subject of music is during their day, music was often performed in the rulers palaces during sinful gatherings. This is why you see the maraje's fatawas on music qualified by "suitable for gatherings of amusement/entertainment." It is probably referring to a certain type of music or to its use in an immoral atmosphere.

There is a parallel we can draw to another topic and that's the permissibility of chess. Like music, we have hadith condemning chess. But nowadays, many maraje permit chess as long as there's no gambling involved. How can this be? Are the maraje going against clear teachings of the Imams (as)? This is another situation where we have to go back and study the hadith in context. People used to play chess to gamble and its associated with gambling may be why the Imams (as) denounced it. But these days, chess is just a game and no one really uses it for gambling anymore. Hence, we understand that the hadith may not intend that chess itself is evil but rather may refer to how it was once used.

So before we start spitting out hadith to justify our fatawas on music or any topic, remember that the surface meaning of a hadith may not always tell the whole story. This is why we are blessed to have ulema who understand the science of hadith and can put them in perspective for us.

Edited by rumi f

I don't know the motivation to awaken this thread but here we are,

I should say right up front that I love music

I read the list of effects of music and I noticed "Music soothes the savage beast" was missing.

I forgot the tittle of the thread but it is about "your favorite movies" but it was very popular and the movies talked about were mostly western and fictional. As I read the posts the thought occurred to me "How do they reconcile loving movies with music being mookrah at best and haram most likely?" Soundtracks are crucial to movies and cannot be avoided, so how does that work?

The Quran is sung.

It is the best music in existence.

Im not a fan of Islamic Music however. My daughter use to listen to it and she would sing lyrics about the love of Allah. I taught her it is better to sing the lyrics of Allah (Quran) instead.

<Again read the post by Syed Rizvi

Also read the Tauzeeh of yesteryear marjahs, all of them agree that music of all kind is haram. Dividing music into halal and haram is the advent of recent times and the reasons behind it are political>

The only Point which made Sense since Long Time

I dont believe in Marja System and i wanted to know it with Proofs because People say Music is halal and hadiths say no And thats what i dont understand .

It could be that i will Open many (annoying) Threads . Its because when i didnt get an convincing answer i ask me whole Time how it could be and Hope you understand that i am Willed to understand Things which are Important to me

I dont believe in Marja System and i wanted to know it with Proofs because People say Music is halal and hadiths say no And thats what i dont understand .

It could be that i will Open many (annoying) Threads . Its because when i didnt get an convincing answer i ask me whole Time how it could be and Hope you understand that i am Willed to understand Things which are Important to me

Why do you care about those who say it's halal then, just stop listening to the damned Music!

(Wasalam)

easy to say.  but if some say its halal than there might be a hadith about special situations which could be very interesting.

i mean i really cant believe that we have only these hadiths and people say just do it. i expect that the special situations are based on references

for example i found out that for marriage imam khomeini made a special condition for drums. - and i found a source for it

i really found this special condition as a reference

so expected the same here. 

sure i have to stop music and i already did. but if we really find a reason what kind of special music is meant (and i really expect that there is something like that)

it would be great.

see i neither watch news or anything which has to do with music. 

so it would be great to find out conditions.

other topics as well. why shouldnt we seek and seek for knowledge? 

i want to get wisdom and the key is to ask. 

maybe i ask too much and so many threads will not be answered but who should care (except me)?

i get an answer or i will continue searching. if you see a topic with last comment "germanshia" you know for the future that you shouldnt click it

you wont like it (i guess)^^

According to the clear hadith from the infallible Imams (AS), Music is Haraam. On this basis, the Fatwa (decree) of Ayatollah Imam Muhammad Shirazi is that Music is Haraam. This includes listening to music, playing musical instruments, and buying or selling such instruments. Any kind of music, which would be in the category of being "moving" music, is Haraam. Furthermore, the music that could be categorised as "not moving", but played by the same or similar instruments, is also Haraam. In short, music is Haraam whether or not it could be categorised as "moving". Along the same line, the "music of the human voice", i.e. singing, even without the playing of musical instruments, is also Haraam. This is so, to the extent that even if the Qur'an is recited in a "singing" manner, this action is regarded as Haraam. Needles to say, in Islam one is encouraged, according to many hadith, to recite the Qur'an in the "best manner" to the extent that the listener would be touched by it, and that listening to this recitation would create humility in one's heart before Allah (SWT). But this is different from when one is "singing" the Qur'an. It may be asked, "How do we differentiate between the singing of the Qur'an and the recitation or TILAWAH of the Qur'an?" The answer is this is determined by the 'URF which is the "common definition amongst the public" or the "general consensus". If the recitation of the Qur'an is seen as "recitation" and "TILAWAH" then it is Halaal, and if it is seen and regarded as "singing", then that singing of the Qur'an is Haraam. Some may call the sound of sea waves, waterfall, willowing wind, etc. to be music. If this is the case then this kind of "music" is Halaal! Provided that it is not accompanied by the conventional singing or the playing of conventional musical instrument(s).

On 6/29/2007 at 5:39 AM, Wise Muslim said:

(salam)

Of course Music is haram in Shia Islam.

A famous hadith I heard from a scholar say that one of the Imams (as) narrated that listening to music was like slapping your Imam Ali (as) on the face. That's how bad music can be.

Salam.

Can you please tell me the name of the scholar who spoke of this hadeeth and/or the name of the book containing this hadeeth and can you also please specify which Imam narrated this hadeeth?

I am well aware that music is haraam. But no Masoom shall ever speak of Amir al Mu'mineen in such a way. Indeed our sinful acts hurt the Masoomeen(asws) and run against their teachings. But wait and think for a second, is it really possible? Our one sinful act amounts to this! Allahuakbar! My hands shiver as i type this. Are you sure sir that it wasn't an Idiom what the scholar said? That us listening to music is like that? But, this being a hadeeth, this goes against the mutual respect of Masoomeen(asws) among themselves. Imam Ali a.s, Amiral Mu'mineen, our first Imam, Cousin of the Apostle of Allah(pbuh & hf), Father of Hasnain(asws), the distributor of hell and paradise, the one true wali without whose vilayah our very existence would mean nothing and all of us would be thrown in hell for our sinful lives.... He being humiliated to such an extent from us? Astaghfirullah!

I question the authenticity of this hadeeth! I question the honesty of that scholar you heard it from! I demand a book be shown to me which contains this hadeeth. Typing in overheard things is very easy, acting upon the same very difficult. Even you don't realise how big this is. You don't realise what you have written. Please tell me the names of the scholar, the Book and the Imam from whom this narration comes.

On 20/05/2016 at 5:06 PM, ZEESH said:

Salam.

Can you please tell me the name of the scholar who spoke of this hadeeth and/or the name of the book containing this hadeeth and can you also please specify which Imam narrated this hadeeth?

I am well aware that music is haraam. But no Masoom shall ever speak of Amir al Mu'mineen in such a way. Indeed our sinful acts hurt the Masoomeen(asws) and run against their teachings. But wait and think for a second, is it really possible? Our one sinful act amounts to this! Allahuakbar! My hands shiver as i type this. Are you sure sir that it wasn't an Idiom what the scholar said? That us listening to music is like that? But, this being a hadeeth, this goes against the mutual respect of Masoomeen(asws) among themselves. Imam Ali a.s, Amiral Mu'mineen, our first Imam, Cousin of the Apostle of Allah(pbuh & hf), Father of Hasnain(asws), the distributor of hell and paradise, the one true wali without whose vilayah our very existence would mean nothing and all of us would be thrown in hell for our sinful lives.... He being humiliated to such an extent from us? Astaghfirullah!

I question the authenticity of this hadeeth! I question the honesty of that scholar you heard it from! I demand a book be shown to me which contains this hadeeth. Typing in overheard things is very easy, acting upon the same very difficult. Even you don't realise how big this is. You don't realise what you have written. Please tell me the names of the scholar, the Book and the Imam from whom this narration comes.

You are asking me to provide you the context of something I wrote 10 years ago? Wonderful timing!

On 6/29/2007 at 4:26 AM, Syed_ Rizvi said:

Assalamu ‘Alaikum Warah Matullahi Wabarakatuh Jafarr

Here are some traditions that may be of interest to you, regarding the issue of music:

Hazrat Imam Ali ar-Reza (a.s.) remarks,

"A person invites Divine wrath when in his house instruments like flute, drum and chess are played for forty days. If this man dies within these forty days, his death would be of a sinner and a transgressor. His place shall be in Hell. And what a dreadful place it is!"

(Mustanad al Taraqi)

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.) has stated,

"A person who possesses a sitar, on the day of Qiyamat will be raised with a black face. His hands will be holding a sitar of fire. Seventy thousand angels with maces of fire will be hitting him on the face and the head. The singer will arise from his grave, blind, deaf and dumb. The adulterer will be similarly raised. The player of flute will also be made to rise in this way as will be the drum player."

(Mustadrakul Wasael)

Hazrat Imam Ali ar-Reza (a.s.) has said,

"To listen to a musical instrument is one of the Greater Sins."

(Mustadrakul Wasael)

Amirul Momineen Ali (a.s.) says,

"Angels do not even enter a house that has wine, drum, tambourine or a flute. Even the prayers of the inhabitants of this house are unacceptable. They are deprived of barakat."

(Wasaelush Shia)

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.) has also said,

"The Almighty Allah has sent me as a mercy to the worlds, to guide the people. And He ordered me to eradicate the playing of flute and other instruments of music, all games of vice, idol (worship) and all practices of the days of ignorance."

(Mustadrakul Wasael, Chapter 79)

Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) reports from the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.) that he said:

"I prohibit for you dancing and playing flute, drums and tabla."

(Al Kafi)

Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) has also said,

“Even learning to sing or play music and teaching it, to sing and play music, to be paid for these things or to be in any way engrossed in these vices is Haraam."

(Tohafful Uqool)

The sixth Holy Imam, Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) said,

"Listening to music, songs and useless words cultivate hypocrisy in the heart, in the same way as algae grows in water."

(Al Kafi)

Al Kafi mentions a tradition of Imam as-Sadiq (a.s.) that,

"Singing and music is a nest for the bird called hypocrisy."

Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) says:

"The house where music is played is not safe from sudden disasters. Supplications at such a place are not answered. Angels do not enter this place."

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.) is quoted to have said:

"Molten lead shall be poured into the ears of one who listens to songs, intently."

(Mustadrakul Wasael)

It is also narrated from Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) that he said,

"Whenever a person begins singing, two satans mount on his shoulders and continue to hit their heels upon his chest, till the time he sings the song."

Hazrat Imam Ali Ibn Musa ar-Reza (a.s.) said,

"One who avoids songs shall be provided by Allah, a tree, which will produce such a melodious sound as has never been heard by anyone. But the one who has not kept himself aloof from songs will not be able to hear this sound."

(Al Kafi)

The following tradition of Allah's Messenger (s.a.w.s.) is recorded in the book Tafseer Majmaul Bayan,

"One who has listened to too many songs will not be able to hear the Ruhaanis on the Day of Qiyamat."

"Who are the Ruhaanis, O Prophet of Allah (s.a.w.s.)?" someone asked.

The Prophet (s.a.w.s.) replied,

"They are the melodious singers of Heaven."

A similar tradition from Hazrat Ali (a.s.) is found in Nahjul Balagha,

"Hazrat Dawood (a.s.) will be the chief of the singers of Paradise."

(Nahjul Balagha)

"The people will listen to such melodious songs from Hazrat Dawood (a.s.) in Heaven, the like of which have never been heard by anyone. However only those who have refrained from listening to songs in this world would be able to hear them."

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.) said:

"Singing is the stepping stone to fornication."

(Mustadrakul Wasael)

Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) says,

"And all those wasteful pastimes are haraam which make one forgetful of Allah; like songs and playing musical instruments."

The traditions concerning the signs of the last stage before the Zuhoor of our Imam (a.s.) mention music:

"And you shall see that music will be so prevalent that no one will dissuade others nor will he find in himself the need to do so. And you shall see that music would be openly played even in the two sanctuaries (the city of Makkah and Madinah)."

(Mustanade Naraqi)

Much of the "popular" music abundant in general society today in my opinion features:

-Severe amounts of violence almost to a sadistic level

-Constant derogatory references to women

-Encouragement of the intake of intoxicants

-Encouragement to seek fornication

-The creation of wild romantic fantasies inside the minds of the youth, and influencing them into believing that they can play these fantasies out, in the real world, which can sometimes lead to tragic consequences

Thus not only is the listening to this "popular" music, sinful in itself, it can also act to induce further sinful acts.

There are also hazardous effects upon ones health:

Music has been shown to cause the release of elevated levels of the stress hormone Adrenaline (Epinephrine), which can act to trigger the process of Vasoconstriction, this can lead to:

- Increased blood pressure

- Irregular heart rates

- Profound affects upon the nervous system

Independently, high levels of music have been shown to induce medical stress reactions, which is obviously expected, due to Adrenaline release. Other proven effects of music listening are increased frequency of headaches, fatigue, stomach ulcers and vertigo.

I would like to strongly emphasise that the music I have referred to in this post, is music that is currently being utilized in sinful entertainment and amusement gatherings, and most certainly not the Islamic Anasheeds and poetry recitals.

I hope i have been of assistance. Regards

Thank you for the compilation of these hadits. 

I am particularly interested to know more about the following saying by Imam Jaffar as-Sadiq (as). Do you think the reference to 'useless words' also relates to writing or reading fiction novels?

"Listening to music, songs and useless words cultivate hypocrisy in the heart, in the same way as algae grows in water."

(Al Kafi)