Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
khalf_al_Quaed

Mourning

Rate this topic

(salam)

It has been a very long time since I have come to this forum, and what brings me back are a few questions about the difference between Shia and Sunna.

The first is regarding Mourning, I have heard Sunnis say that Islam does not allow mourning, but I am a proud Shia, and I believe that it should be allowed. What is the Ruling on Mourning in Islam, are there specific quotes that forbid/allow it? I did try to search for this topic, but I couldn't find it, your help would be very much appreciated

(salam)

Sunnis have a lot of rules that were originally designed to protect their corrupt caliphate from the effects of their terrible deeds.

When Abu Talib and Bibi Khadija died, the Holy Prophet himself declared an entire "Year of Mourning". This is accepted by Sunnis, but due to their disgusting perversion of Islam, they have insisted that mourning is against the sunnah of the Prophet.

-

rahat

Guest blissful223

In the Quran nabi Yusuf's father cried until he lost his eyesight. so how can mourning be haram?

Sorry about the late reply,

I would like to start off by thanking everyone who has helped me out, but I do have a few questions,

Is there anywhere in the Quran where it allows on a certain time period for Muslims to mourn?

When was this mourning "time period" introduced and by whom?

Salaam,

I don't think its from the Quran, but its a general Islamic practice to mourn for 40 days. The reason its "limited" to 40 days is that Islam encourages us to focus on living and obeying Allah, and if we were to drown ourselves in mourning for years and decades, this would lead us to severe depression - which is not something Allah would want, nor is it something that our loved ones would want.

Of course its logical that it might be longer than 40 days, but the believer is simply asked to make an honest effort to, after the 40 days, try and remember that their loved one is with Allah and the Ahlul Bayt now, and in a much better place than we are.

-

rahat

well if you go jump off a bridge in the name of imam hussien(as) then probably you've been blinded as thats not how you mourn,in any case i think that the the sunni view is inncorrect because as noted above we have proof of prophets mourning which should answer any doubts muslims may have reagarding this issue, as a prophet come to guide the people and expect them to look at their way of life,not to confuse them.

(salam)

It has been a very long time since I have come to this forum, and what brings me back are a few questions about the difference between Shia and Sunna.

The first is regarding Mourning, I have heard Sunnis say that Islam does not allow mourning, but I am a proud Shia, and I believe that it should be allowed. What is the Ruling on Mourning in Islam, are there specific quotes that forbid/allow it? I did try to search for this topic, but I couldn't find it, your help would be very much appreciated

(salam)

Such ignorant people bring false hadith that says that mourning the dead will bring harm to the dead in afterlife. Such thing are utter falsehood and fabricated hadith by extremists. Prophet (SAVV) himself mourned for the death of Khadija and Abu Talib when they died and when he conquered Mecca. So do not listen to such ignorant men. For furthur reasons read Peshwar Nights.

Edited by mshoari

Sorry about the late reply,

I would like to start off by thanking everyone who has helped me out, but I do have a few questions,

Is there anywhere in the Quran where it allows on a certain time period for Muslims to mourn?

When was this mourning "time period" introduced and by whom?

I am not sure that Quran talk about mourning at all but I know that mourning in the day of Ashura started as early as 4 years after the death of the master of the martyrs.

(salam)

According to Sunnis it is allowed to mourn because of the hadith attributed to the Prophet (pbuh) where he is reported to have accepted crying for the dead, but prohibited the beating of the chest and the screaming.

Its natural instincts to mourn for someone you love.. otherwise Allah (swt) would not have put these feelings in us.. Even animals mourn for their dead, iam pretty sure most muslims are above animals and have the heart to feel sad when someone they love dies.

Their beloved aisha pulled her hair and beat her chest when prophet Muhammad (pbuh) died.

I heard some Sunni say that mourning is only allowed for three days according to the Quran. Is this true or is that Sunni not know what he is talking about? I could not find anything by myself.

I heard some Sunni say that mourning is only allowed for three days according to the Quran. Is this true or is that Sunni not know what he is talking about? I could not find anything by myself.

Nope, this is 100% incorrect.

When Bibi Khadija (as) and Hazrat Abu Talib passed away, the Prophet (as) declared a year of grief. If mourning was limited to 3 days as the Sunnis say, the Prophet would not have mourned for 365.

So, we can conclude and say that:

1. Either the Sunnis know the Quran better than the Prophet

2. The Sunnis have neglected the Sunnah of the Prophet

3. They dont know Historical events

I would prefer to choose option 2.

im not sure if im addressing your question but this is what i have found

Question: What is the philosophy of Azadari (mourning and lamentation) for Imam Husain?

Answer: There is no doubt that the tragedy of Kerbala, when ascribed to the killers, is a criminal and terrible act. However when ascribed to Husain (A) himself, it represents a conscious confrontation and a courageous resistance for a sacred cause. The whole nation had failed to stand up to Yazid. They had succumbed to his will, and deviation and regression towards the pre-Islamic ways were increasing.

Passiveness by Husain (A) in this situation would have meant the end of Islam as we know it. Thus Husain (A) took upon himself the responsibility of the whole nation. The greatest tragedy was that one who stood up for the noblest of causes, the defense of Islam, was cut down in so cruel a manner.

It is for this reason that the sacrifice of Husain (A) is commemorated annually throughout the Muslim world. Our sorrow never abates as we relive the tragedy.

The commemoration of Ashura on the 10th of Muharram every year serves to remind us of the sacrifices of the family of the Prophet (S). It also makes us aware of the people, then and now, who tried to destroy Islam and the family of the Prophet and all that they stood for - as well as those who watched, listened and did nothing.

------

Question: Is mourning for Imam Hussain and other Infallibles (a.s.) recommended?

Answer: Yes, it is recommended and God will reward those who sincerely revive their memories and commemorate their matyrdom?

------

Question: I have a question about matam (Azadari) and the manner our people are holding Muharram rituals.

Answer: It is not appropriate of the mourners to violate the commemoration method received by the righteous predecessors (Salaf-e Saleh) in mourning the martyrdom of the Lord of Martyrs, Imam Husain (a.s.).

------

http://sistani.org/local.php?modules=nav&a...d=5&cid=407

We must keep in mind when speaking to our Sunni brethren that within Sunni Islam there are dozens of conflicting opinions.

Regarding mourning, one Sunni may say "three days only", another Sunni may quote a Hadith in Sahih Bukhari quoted from Ummar Khattab which says "mourning for a dead one only increases in the deceased persons punishment", another Sunni may say "mourning shows desperation in gods divine decree (qadar)"...

All these points have not been thought over, and neither of them hold any weight in an discussion.

1. The Prophet mourned for 365 days after the death of Bibi Khadija and Hazrat Abu Talib

2. The Quran says in Chapter 6, verse 164 "No soul benefits except from its own works, and none bears the burden of another", over riding the Hadith which states the dead are punished for the acts of the living

3. If mourning showes desperation and despair in God's divine decree then why did Prophet Ya'qub cry for Prophet Yusuf?

Edited by Sadiq M...

Rahat very good statement brother

and yes its true many of the prophets companions also grieved and beat their chests like balal the moazzen

and like the other brothers point out Prophet everytime he heard the name of khadidjeh he had to cry

As salaam u alaikum

This is the first time I am hearing that Sunnis don't mourn. Sunnis of South Asia that I have known mourn for 40 days. They don't cook in their house, they do special prayers, and other rituals. What I have been told by my sunni friends is that they are not allowed to wail, scream, and cry out loud and these forms of mourning activities are prohibitted and doing so inrease the suffering of the dead. So the definition of mourning is the issue here. Are the Sunnis then following Shia rituals of mourning?

Can someone provide both sunni and shia references on this?

Edited by Yahya30