Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Abu Nur

English Tafsir Al Mizan Completed!

Rate this topic

(salam)

From the almizan.org site:

Exciting News:

The complete al-Mizan has been translated into English (approximately 40 volumes in total) and is presently undergoing editing for publication soon. Stay tuned for more updates as to when and where the complete set will be available for purchase.

Finally! What a good work indeed, I have waiting this so much :)

(salam)

Did anyone ever check the accuracy of this opening post in 2007?.. because if you visit almizan.org it says: "Donate generously towards the translation of the remaining chapters!" at the top right corner.... :mellow: :unsure:

That site has excerpts from al-Mizan but I was wondering about the full version of al-Mizan published in English. They completed up till volume 13 a few years back but I haven't seen any new volumes of al-Mizan since then.

Yes, it is not complete.

And unfortunately, for the part that has been translated, the presentation and style are not too good either.

Quite cumbersome to follow !

I glanced through the translation by Tawus Raja and edited by Amina Inloes - and very happy that this is a readable and carefully done work. Thank you! I will likely buy all of the more recent translations avail on e-book - I do have one quibble that they are not available on kindle - from what I can see, and only in ibook (Apple) format... 

We (english speakers, too occupied otherwise to learn Arabic ) undoubtedly owe a debt of gratitude to all early translators.

At the same time I sincerely hope that we, especially the Shi'a community, have now reached a level of competency where we can have quality translations of our major works on Islam. Individuals such as Henry Corbin (translations mostly to French, but then French to English) William Chittick, his wife Sachiko Murata, Syed Hosein Nasr, (late) R. J. Nicholson , (late) Arberry  ... et al. have made major important and immensely high quality translations of Shi'a and other Islamic works. However, their choice of what to translate are in accordance with their own interests. And this is really so of any translator. 

Inshallah , with a diverse and larger group of translators, we'll have both a wider spectrum of books available in English , and a high quality of the translation. 

Thank you again to those who organized in completing this work. 

On 6/13/2008 at 8:23 AM, sarizvi said:

Note: please forward this note to all your friends

Salamun Alaikum,

The Ascendant Quran is an amazing Tafsir that can awaken the Muslim Ummah from its 'ghaflat', it is a tafsir that applies equally to both shias and sunnis, please check out the site http://www.theascendantquran.com where you can download the audio of Surah Al-Fatihah, provide feedback to the author, find Tafsir related events and order the audio and printed form of the tafsir from around the world. Please help in spreading the message of this wonderful work to everyone. Tafsir Al-Mizan was one the foundational work that Imam Al-Asi used for the ascendant quran.

Does anyone know about the status of the translation of Tafseer Al Mizan into English? Does anyone here know anything about the Ascendant Qur'an and the statement made by sarizvi?

Bumping this.  Any updates?

I am looking for the commentary on Surah Sa'ad(chap 38) specifically.Does anyone here have a copy?

Edited by starlight

Which one should I read first, The Study Qur’an or Tafsir al - Mizan? 

I want to gain a better understanding of the Qur'an and am a beginner. 

34 minutes ago, Ejaz said:

You can do both side by side if you want. They are totally different in every which way,size, detail, content, the way they try and explain Qur'an. 

Study Qur'an is a small book relatively, doesn't discuss the verses in detail, rather does a side by side comparison of the different interpretation of the Qur'an from various sects. 

Al-mizan is a Shia Tafsir,  very detailed and attempts to explain verses of Qur'an through other verses of Qur'an. It's a beautiful piece of work.May Allah bless the soul of Allama Tabatabai. 

So you can read a verse from Qur'an, study it from Al-mizan which would be detailed and then spend a few minutes looking at its interpretation from the Study Qur'an. That will give you a more comprehensive knowledge about the verse. It would require some extra effort no doubt but it's wajib on us to study the Qur'an.

9 hours ago, starlight said:

Bumping this.  Any updates?

I am looking for the commentary on Surah Sa'ad(chap 38) specifically.Does anyone here have a copy?

No one?? :cry::(

39 minutes ago, Ejaz said:

studying Qur'an without authentic tafseer is not sufficient so first start via sample Tafsir, Almizan is almost difficult  and when you finish understanding Qur'an by easy Tafsir you can start reading Almizan