Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
BintAlHoda

This Year's Umaa Convention

(salam)

I heard the program is real good this year, but I will NOT be going to UMAA this year.

Though I organized UMAA the last two years, this year it will be different.

I feel sad that i wont be able to work with Mr. Hasnain Walji with his great program, but I have a few reasons I wont go.

I will be visiting my family instead due to a surgical procedure my father is undergoing (iltimaas-e-dua that it all goes well).

Another reason I chose not to go this year was due to the fact that despite the overall image of UMAA changing for the better and a few handful of nice people working really hard towards improving it, there are a handful of people who really dont care about UMAA, its cause, nor do they respect women and youth in general (Notice i did not say ALL, only a hand ful).

It is sad that people who have supposedly resigned from the very organization in the past years are "invited" to speak!

It is sad that locals who create community havoc within the local communities, are "active" members.

It is sad that despite the need to improve, there are no measures towards improvement of the organizational structure!

It is sad that people who actually stand up for the cause of UMAA, are ignored, and not even considered part of the organization!

It is sad that the people who work the hardest to improve UMAA, are considered as mere nobodies when it comes to opinion!

It is sad that even the youth who should stick together for the same cause, divides and become hypocrites!

It is sad that the cause of UMAA will be lost due to a handful of people who just dont care!

I dont mean anything bad for anyone, especially those who are working hard to improve it, but my views have changed recently due to a hand ful of members who showed ignorance and no respect for others working hard within the organization. I hate hypocrites! I hate people who fight for a cause and then turn right over to do the damage themselves! I have no respect for such individuals.

Anyhow, I am saddened and hurt by the hypocritical youth that I know. Those who claim to know alot, when indeed they dont!

And I assure you, they will read this as well, and yet have no shame about what all they have done! Hypocrites i tell you!

wsalaam

K.S :dry:

(salam)

I heard the program is real good this year, but I will NOT be going to UMAA this year.

Though I organized UMAA the last two years, this year it will be different.

I feel sad that i wont be able to work with Mr. Hasnain Walji with his great program, but I have a few reasons I wont go.

I will be visiting my family instead due to a surgical procedure my father is undergoing (iltimaas-e-dua that it all goes well).

Another reason I chose not to go this year was due to the fact that despite the overall image of UMAA changing for the better and a few handful of nice people working really hard towards improving it, there are a handful of people who really dont care about UMAA, its cause, nor do they respect women and youth in general (Notice i did not say ALL, only a hand ful).

It is sad that people who have supposedly resigned from the very organization in the past years are "invited" to speak!

It is sad that locals who create community havoc within the local communities, are "active" members.

It is sad that despite the need to improve, there are no measures towards improvement of the organizational structure!

It is sad that people who actually stand up for the cause of UMAA, are ignored, and not even considered part of the organization!

It is sad that the people who work the hardest to improve UMAA, are considered as mere nobodies when it comes to opinion!

It is sad that even the youth who should stick together for the same cause, divides and become hypocrites!

It is sad that the cause of UMAA will be lost due to a handful of people who just dont care!

I dont mean anything bad for anyone, especially those who are working hard to improve it, but my views have changed recently due to a hand ful of members who showed ignorance and no respect for others working hard within the organization. I hate hypocrites! I hate people who fight for a cause and then turn right over to do the damage themselves! I have no respect for such individuals.

Anyhow, I am saddened and hurt by the hypocritical youth that I know. Those who claim to know alot, when indeed they dont!

And I assure you, they will read this as well, and yet have no shame about what all they have done! Hypocrites i tell you!

wsalaam

K.S :dry:

Well whats most criminal about this scenario is that someone who knows about UMAA's defects isnt voicing their dissent because they are either afraid of the reprecussions or doesn't feel that it will amount to anything. And both of these excuses are pretty much cop outs. If I were in your situation I wouldn't stop working and thinking.....trust me, when there's a will, there's a way! Use your imagination, do a protest outside the convention, distribute leaflets, tell youth speakers to voice YOUR concerns...God there's an infinite amount of things you can do...you could drop me a msg stating what exactly your beef is, maybe I can tell someone I know speaking at UMAA to address it briefly.

Also, inshallah your fathers surgery will go well.

Well whats most criminal about this scenario is that someone who knows about UMAA's defects isnt voicing their dissent because they are either afraid of the reprecussions or doesn't feel that it will amount to anything. And both of these excuses are pretty much cop outs. If I were in your situation I wouldn't stop working and thinking.....trust me, when there's a will, there's a way! Use your imagination, do a protest outside the convention, distribute leaflets, tell youth speakers to voice YOUR concerns...God there's an infinite amount of things you can do...you could drop me a msg stating what exactly your beef is, maybe I can tell someone I know speaking at UMAA to address it briefly.

Also, inshallah your fathers surgery will go well.

NO, do NOT have a protest outside the convention.... lord knows we don't need any more "muslims vs muslims" conflicts to excite the media!!!

(salam)

Basha:

The problem is not voicing my opinion... I have very well voiced it for two years i worked with them. Considering I have my fathers surgery to take care of, i figured that is more important and worth my time more than trying to explain to a bunch of people who havent heard a thing in 2 years! I havent given up! Those who work with UMAA and for the cause of UMAA are with me! They speak for me and agree with me 100%. Its only a few people who cant put aside their egos to admit that they cant do much without the youth.

But the moment the youth is the topic, there are those who are born and brought up in the US (and no i'm not saying being born and brought up in the US is a problem religously, dont take me wrong) but these are the youth who voice their opinion publicly "AGAINST" issues that are very common and logical back home, but suddenly the "modernized" views prevents them to believe its right! and then to see these youth being invited to speak as youth representative! That is where I have a problem.

All the while I was working with UMAA, I preferred to speak WITH the youth, not FOR the youth. I wanted to work with them to get them in the limelight so they can share views and learn along the way! But when the youth are hypocritical and talk nonsense yet are supported because they suck up for recommendations, its just sad! There is something seriously wrong there in my opinion and i refuse to work with such people. But i was very upset by some youngsters and the way they acted last year as well as this year! When such so called youth who are in their 20's are called "Just kids" and should be forgiven for such acts, that in my opinion is wrong.

I could very well do alot to mess this convention up totally. But like Bint al Hoda said, that is not a decent act. I would be a hypocrite myself if I was to do that, since these youngsters did so last year and tried to mess everything! I dont mean any harm to anyone, and I know Allah SWT will take care of those who are wrong. The only thing I can do is spread awareness of the wrong that is done.

Being a girl, and standing up for what is right, is not commonly taken very well with the older generation sometimes, especially with the older men in our community. Try dealing with a whole board and majority of them being older men possessing this type of a mental capacity and not willing to accept opinions to correct the situation. On top of that, receiving a call this year and hearing, Oh we dont need your help, just show up at the convention (in an essence, just pay so we have ur money even if you dont want to come and work)! That sorry to say is disrespectful to me!

Having spent two years working diligently and defending this organization through many issues and motivating the youth towards improving the image of this organization after the whole Stephen Schwartz fiasco, and helping them come out of that scenario by inviting better speakers (and getting blamed for "wasting money" when inviting reknowned speakers like Sayed Modaressi for the youth), i hear that we dont want ur help!

That is sorry and sad! That shows the mentality of the few who are messing the reputation of this organization!

I am not afriad of speaking the truth, but a protest is not the right way to act in my opinion. The power of youth unity is amazing, and inshAllah if the youngsters can unite together and speak for the love of the Ahlebait (as), then Allah SWT will empower us with ways to respond to such situations.

Any of you who wish to speak up, make your mark at this years convention!

and if possible, if you meet Sayed Jawad Qazwini, please relay a message to him for me.

Tell him that the sister who organized the shiachat sessions last year tried to contact you but the number he gave me has changed recently. I was not able to contact him for condolences that I wished to send to him for the sad demise of his family member in Iraq. (and get his number if possible)

Ok this post is turning into a novel now, so I'll end here...

please feel free to respond so I know how you all feel!

(Remember, I am not trying to seek pitty here, I just want to know how you would feel if you were in my shoes!)

wsalaam

K.S :unsure:

NO, do NOT have a protest outside the convention.... lord knows we don't need any more "muslims vs muslims" conflicts to excite the media!!!

Lol I agree with that! That is the last thing we need...

But sister these problems arise within many communities including my own. We have our problems and "active" members as you say. But the key is to find someone who is level-headed, understanding and open to your opinions and who is one of the organizers now. Discuss the problems with that person and look for solutions. That makes a big difference.

Also I like br. basha's idea about stating what the problem is and having a speaker addressing it. It's definitely a start. It would probably be better if you were in touch with the speaker yourself though.. Just some ideas..

Waslaam,

Eman

(salam)

It is true, and beleive it or not, some of the speakers know very well what all goes inside the heads of some of these creatures!

I spoke to one of them myself and I was told "You know how UMAA people are" lol... i burst out laughing when i heard that!

It is true, but I beleive that since I cant be there this year, I cant speak to them myself!

A little too late to contact now, but hopefully some of hte youth who are going will raise questions at workshops, or even the main events etc.

I do know hte organizors, and the only few SANE ones are on my side like I said. They oppose the viewpoints of the corrupt, they raise voices, but it only leads to the usual arguments and no outcomes! Why do you think this organization is still at the same spot where it was 5 years ago when it was founded. It is because the handful of the intelligent souls dont care to waste time on the hard headed ones.

Instead they prefer to spend their efforts in joining and working with other useful organizations who do more in the way of the Ahlebait (as) as well as for the cause of humanity.

Seems like alot of them have given up hope towards the cause of UMAA!

Sad but true!

I will inshAllah continue to speak, but for the time being my family needs me more and therefore I will be flyng out to them tommorow inshAllah.

I could have gone to the convention tonight, but I refuse to pay my hard earned $$ to the organization that does not beleive in the youth, yet stands up and raises voices stating we are creating the world for the youth"

I apologize if my words seem rude. I am one person who does not get hurt very easily, and even if I do, i dont get upset enough to keep a grudge.

It hurts to see the community in a mess!

What wonderful opportunities to raise such wonderful topics, yet its a chaos where people only go to pass their times now!

sad!

wsalaam

K.S :unsure:

Salaamun 'Alaikum,

Those who attended the UMAA convention, can you tell me how the program went?

To: KS, Basha, etc.

There are two folds for making a change. The first fold is to advocate, to express what is wrong. The second fold is sought out solutions. I believe we must move past the first fold and transition into the second fold.

The "youths" in general are powerless not because they don't have experience but more because they don't have money. However, many of the youths who were advocates for change are now in the position that they do have the funds. It is my humble suggestion that if merit alone will not allow them a seat in UMAA then use money.

My second suggestion, which I steal from a dear friend, is to drop the term youth. Whenever people hear "youths" it denotes a powerless group who at times can be annoying. Instead of being the "Youth Coordinator" be the General Secretary of UMAA or of your local Islamic Center. Insteald of a youth representative be part of the executive committee with voting rights of your Islamic Center.

Think along those lines, and inshaAllah if you set out pure goals you will be indeed be successful.

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

Edited by Dhulfiqar

Rahatz Review:

Negatives:

That Ralph Peters guy was totally insane, everyone boo'ed at him.

The crowd was also very unhappy with Anita Rai's message.

Neutral:

Iraqi Ambassador gave a speech that was nice, but was very a-political, I didn't go but others who did said it was more like a majlis than a current events speech.

Youth Dinner Thing was too long, comedy was good though.

Positives:

Dr. Vernon Schubel gave a great speech, many people were literally brought to tears by it.

Ammar Nakshawani also gave a great speech, a lot of people became very excited by hearing it. His workshop session was equally appealing to the crowds.

Maulana Sakhawat Husain's Fajr Tafsir was well done, I felt terrible that I missed his actual workshop session.

Shaikh Safdar Razi's speech aslo went quite well.

Random other stuff:

The NOI guards seemed to be pushing people to do Hijab, I really love meeting those guys.

Crowd seemed a bit bigger [note I dont necessarily mean 'better']

Bazaar was better

I felt like a lot of speeches were just 'filler' and were kinda boring. I wish they had just made it the "Scubel/Nakshawani/SakhawatHusain/SafdarRazi" Extravaganza.

I was personally very surprised the kind of bad stuff anita rai was saying. she was good at idara e jaferia a few weeks ago, but her random tirades against sunnis/m were not at all appreciated.

BTW Azmat rocked the "Karbala Shirt" at umaa

-

rahat

Edited by rahat

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

Brother Rahat, one of the speakers you mentioned took offense of the jokes that were mentioned during the youth session. The ones that were making fun of the scholars. You know you are a sheikh from the eastside if __________ you know you are a sheikh from the westside of the U.S. if you ____________________.

Another thing he was disappointed in seeing was the lack of hijab that was observed during the session.

I would like to know what is the objective of the board group for UMAA. From what I heard they are a secular bunch who wants to have a voting bloc. What is the mission or the aim for UMAA? Please do not direct me to a website, I actually want to know what is REALLY their purpose?

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

honestly their only goal is to throw a gathering each year. they dont make or take any political action, despite whatever their emails might say.

-

rahat