Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Ali Quli Qara'i Translation Of Quran

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salaam

I have the translation, and am reading it now... it is very useful because of its format - and as someone who knows some Arabic, but not enough...

http://www.qurannewtranslation.com/

I don't think this can be considered a uniquely Shi'a translation - although the notes do discuss some of the ayats from the traditions of the ahul-bayt (as)

If you do a google search for the author - you'll find that the translator is very qualified, and has previously translated other Shi'a works as well... the above link is to the the translation web site - and includes a few sections that you can download to review the translation...

Edited by skylight1
  • Advanced Member

About the Translator:

‘Ali Quli Qara’i studied at Osmania University and the University of Wisconsin. For fourteen years (1982-96) he was the Editor-in-Chief of Al-Tawhid, a prestigious quarterly journal of Islamic thought established in 1982.

His numerous works of translation include ‘Allamah Tabatabai’s Bidayat al-Hikmah (The Elements of Islamic Metaphysics), Imam Rouhollah Khomeini’s Sharh-i Chihil Hadith (An Exposition of Forty Traditions Related to Ethics, Philosophy and Mysticism), ‘Allamah Sayyid Muhammad Husain Tehrani’s Lubb al-Lubab and Ruh-e Mujarrad, The Risalih-ye Sayr-o Suluk attributed to Allamah Bahr al-‘Ulum and Nasir al-Din Tusi’s Awsaf al-Ashraf.

He has also translated scores of articles from Persian and Arabic on philosophy and religion. He is now working on a translation of the Mafatih al-Janan, a comprehensive manual of Islamic piety based on the Imamiyya tradition.

He is presently associated with the Centre for Translation of the Holy Qur’an in the holy city of Qom as a translation consultant. His e-mail address is altawhid@hotmail.com

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Qarai's is fanstastic for just a translation its easy to understand, but it lacks detail.

If your looking for something more indepth i would suggest Mirza Mahdi Puya Yazdi it does take a while to read properly i.e ref's and things but its quite indepth.

Btw the al-tawhid journals are really good, try and have a look at them, really interesting and cover lots of difernt areas, there are a few issue on al-islam.

ws

• Advanced Member

Qura'ee is being promoted and drummed up by certain quarters for certain reasons.

You are right. No Translation comes close to the original. You are correct that M. H. Shakir's translation is the best so far.

It is interesting to note that Shakir never claimed to be a "scholar" and had no formal "scholarly" training. He was a businessman.

Edited by mirch_masala
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I love this translation as it is phrase by phrase and easy to understand for us who know Arabic a few.

The translation style is unique, isn't it? The word choosing are a bit different from others.

Some irfanee ppl say that the word choosing are great to go to further deep meaning of the Quran.

Hope some more veiws on it from you who have got this Quran.

Fee Amanillah.

• 3 years later...
  • Basic Members

I've read part of Ali Quli's translation and after comparing it with the most popular 13 english and 5 urdu translations I have found it to be far superior. For example consider the following translations by Shakir and Ali Quli:

Rome:21

æóãöäú ÂíóÇÊöåö Ãóäú ÎóáóÞó áóßõã ãöøäú ÃóäÝõÓößõãú ÃóÒúæóÇÌðÇ áöøÊóÓúßõäõæÇ ÅöáóíúåóÇ æóÌóÚóáó Èóíúäóßõã ãóøæóÏóøÉð æóÑóÍúãóÉð ۚ Åöäóø Ýöí Ðóٰáößó áóÂíóÇÊò áöøÞóæúãò íóÊóÝóßóøÑõæäó

Shakir:

And one of His signs is that He created mates for you from yourselves that you may find rest in them, and He put between you love and compassion; most surely there are signs in this for a people who reflect.

Ali Quli:

And of His signs is that He created for you mates from your own selves that you may take comfort in them, and He ordained affection and mercy between you. There are indeed signs in that for a people who reflect.

Insaan:8

æóíõØúÚöãõæäó ÇáØóøÚóÇãó Úóáóìٰ ÍõÈöøåö ãöÓúßöíäðÇ æóíóÊöíãðÇ æóÃóÓöíÑðÇ

Shakir:

And they give food out of love for Him to the poor and the orphan and the captive

Ali Quli:

They give food, for the love of Him, to the needy, the orphan and the prisoner

Notice how Shakir uses the word "love" for both " ãóøæóÏóøÉð" and "ÍõÈöøåö" when Ali Quli uses "affection" for " ãóøæóÏóøÉð" and "love" for "ÍõÈöøåö". It seems trivial but is of extreme importance.

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Ali Quli Qara`i's translation competence is extraordinary. His work on bidayat al-hikmah is simply phenomenal..

His numerous works of translation include ‘Allamah Tabatabai’s Bidayat al-Hikmah (The Elements of Islamic Metaphysics), Imam Rouhollah Khomeini’s Sharh-i Chihil Hadith (An Exposition of Forty Traditions Related to Ethics, Philosophy and Mysticism), ‘Allamah Sayyid Muhammad Husain Tehrani’s Lubb al-Lubab and Ruh-e Mujarrad, The Risalih-ye Sayr-o Suluk attributed to Allamah Bahr al-‘Ulum and Nasir al-Din Tusi’s Awsaf al-Ashraf.

Does anyone know if the highlighted book has been completed, or it is just the first two chapters available on al-islam.org?

And what the translation of ruh-e mujarrad has been published under?

• 1 year later...
  • Basic Members

I've been reading the translation by Ali Quli Qara'i and personally I've found it soooo easy to understand and so moving. I had always used to read Shakir's translation, and despite having spoken English all my life, it always took me a bit to try and understand what Shakir's translation was trying to state because I would get lost in the archaic words sometimes. (I have a terrible habit of changing "Thou" to "you" etc while reading and would always get caught in the words because I would be trying to figure out pronouns!!!)

Ali Quli's translation is much easier for me, personally, because not only can I see what sentence of the translation is associated with word, I can use my limited Arabic knowledge to extract an even deeper understanding of the ayah.

I'm now in the search of an audio cd or mp3 of his translations so that I can listen to it on the go. If someone knows where I can find them, that would be much appreciated!

P.S. To answer the original question -- the foreword of the publication of the Quran states that the translation relies heavily on the Ahlul-Bayt's (as) ahadeeth and history. But it also mentions that it uses acceptable sunni sources as well.