Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Hairdresser For Hajab Or Non Hajab Women

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

HOW IS EVERYONE? HOPE EVERYONE IS ALL IN GOOD HEALTH. ^_^

OK LET ME START:

I BEEN A HAIRDRESSER FOR 3YEARS AND A NAIL TECH FOR 2YEARS AND I LOVE IT, ITS SOMETHING I LOVE DOING. BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM WHEN I WANT TO FIND A JOB IN A HAIR SALON HERE IN LONDON THEY SAY NO!!! BECAUSE OF THE HAJAB. ONCE I ALMOST GOT THE JOB SHE LOVED ME WHEN WE SPOKE TO ME ON THE PHONE, ALL SHE WANTED WAS FOR ME TO COME IN TO SEE TTHE HOURS I COULD WORK ETC. WHEN SHE SAW ME SHE GOES 'OH IF YOU TAKE OF YOU HAJAB THEN YOU GOT THE JOB', :dry: :mad: OFCOURSE NEVER IN MY LIFE WOULD I TAKE IT OFF BECAUSE OF SOME STUPID ENGLISH PEOPLE. UNTIL KNOW I CAN GET A JOB BECAUSE OF THE HAJAB. I KNOW I GUESS YOU SAYING WHY NOT SEE THE ARAB PEOPLE... WELL THEY ARE EVEN WORSE, THEY WANT A LADY THAT SHOWS ALL HER BODY. I WENT TO A ITERVIEW AT THIS IRAQI OWNER, WHEN HE SAW ME HE DIDN'T LIKE TH HAJAB, HE GOES DO YOU CUT MEN HAIR, WALLAH I WANTED TO HIT HIM THE HEAD, :squeez: THE THING IS IN THHE AD IT SAID WOMEN HAIRDRESSER NOTHING ABOUT MEN. SO I KNEW HE DIDN'T WANT A HAJAB WOMEN TO WORK WITH HIM.

SO I'M ASKING FOR ALL YOU LADIES OUT THERE FOR YOUR HELP. IF YOU HAVE ANYONE THAT WANTS A HAIRDRESSER TO WORK IN THERE SALON. OR IF ANYONE LIVE IN LONDON, I COULD DO YOU HAIR AT HOME, YOU CAN COME TO ME OR I COME TO YOU. :wub:

THANK YOU FOR READING ^_^

• Advanced Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH

YOU KNOW I HAVE DONE FEW POEPLE FROM HOME AND IT WORKED OUT OK, BUT I DIDN'T HAVE IT ALL THE TIME, 1 PERSON EACH MONTH DOES THEIR HAIR. I JUST NEED TO AD MY HAIRDRESSING SKILLS MORE TO THE HAJABI WOMEN OUT THERE. BUT I JUST DON'T KNOW ANYONE

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Yeah, I think you should seriously consider working from home. There's this Iraqi lady who I go to to get my eyebrows done and she has seriously made a small fortune just by doing eyebrows, facials etc (not sure if she does hair). Word of mouth is the best way of getting customers with these kinds of things. Before this Iraqi lady, there was this korean lady who I went to get my eyebrows done, she was really good, she used to do the eyebrows for the miss korea contestants. Even though she shaped them really nicely, the problem was that she always did them too thin....but even then, I would not go to anyone else coz I'm really picky with my eyebrows, I won't let anyone touch them. Anywayz, a good friend of mine recommended the Iraqi lady to me and guaranteed me that she wouldn't screw em up and at first I still didn't wanna risk it but then I saw the result of this girls eyebrows and I was like wow this lady is good. So I went to the Iraqi lady and she was awesome, I always go there now, haven't been to the korean lady since ^_^. This lady is really good, she has like atleast 10 customers a day.

Anywayz, the point of that was to tell you that word of mouth works really well - and not just word of mouth but when someone actually shows you how well a hairdresser has done their hair, then you're impressed and more willing to go to the person. Doing hair at a persons house rather than at a hairdresser has alot of benefits for people - there's obviously the benefit of catering for the hijabi community, it's usually cheaper (the Iraqi lady only charges $8 whereas the korean lady charged me $20!), and it's just preferable to give your money to a shia Muslim than to a non-Muslim. There's also obviously benefits to you aswell - you don't have to pay rent, you work for yourself, you don't have to work consistent hours etc.

If you're good at what you do, are friendly/make people feel comfortable, have affordable prices, are geographically proximate etc then you shouldn't have problems with getting customers. You can hand out fliers, announce it at womens programs at the mosques, advertise on relevant websites etc etc. But the main way of getting customers will be through word of mouth which means that although business will be slow at first, it should eventually pick up speed insha'Allah.

wasalaam

Guest Mahreen

You could cut my hair :P Well I'm sure theres loads of places, try Farah's, theres a new hairdressing shop near my house, I don't know whereabouts you live but, they are afghans/irani's and one of the workers wears a headscarf so if you live near where I live you could try and get a vacancy in that shop, its called " New Look" I'll PM you sister.

Eltemase Dua