Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Hummus

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

I eat hummus all the time and am sick of the same boring hummus recipe that I always use. Are there any ways to jazz up a traditional hummus? I've tried roasted red peppers (decent) and basil & sun dried tomato (nasty!). Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by Talib-e-Ilm

• Advanced Member
I eat hummus all the time and am sick of the same boring hummus recipe that I always use. Are there any ways to jazz up a traditional hummus? I've tried roasted red peppers (decent) and basil & sun dried tomato (nasty!). Any other suggestions? Thanks.

I eat it with falafil or Seekh Kababs.

What is hummus?

An arabic dish.

• Advanced Member

I don't eat hummus, but everyone else in my family seems to like it, so my mom makes it quite a bit. I know there's Hummus Sehdah which is made with garlic, lemon, spices, and the garbanzo beans. Then you can add olive oil and eat with pita bread. I think it looks pretty much like that picture you posted. You can also make Hummus with rice by cooking onions, ground beef, and the hummus with basmati rice.

• Advanced Member

Add tahina to it!! It looks great!!

• Advanced Member
Lablabi :)

-Add garlic, camun, spices, etc

OK... this is where trying to learn recipes is tough for me... whenever I try to get a recipe from a sister, it's always "a little bit of this, and a little bit of that and whatever else you want to add". My question is, what did you add to make it taste just like that, coz that's what I'm after.... :P

• Advanced Member
Is soaking overnight REQUIRED? Because don't they get cooked anyway in the end?

Absolutely positively need to be soaked.

If you don't soak them then you are just cooking little rocks. They will absorb alot of moisture when you soak them. They won't absorb this moisture when you are cooking. Also, it seems to clean them - the water the next morning is a weird colour. And one little tip... don't leave them longer than overnight because they get really stinky... found that out by mistake!

• Veteran Member

(salam) This might help :) I know that if you soak beans properly there is less gas in your intestinal tract .... if you know what I mean ..

Soaking the Beans:

Soaking beans allows the dried beans to absorb water, which begins to dissolve the starches that cause intestinal discomfort. While beans are soaking they are also double to tripling in their size. (You can cook beans without soaking, but it takes longer, and some people think the beans taste better when soaked.)

Soak most beans in three times their volume of cold water for six hours before cooking.

NOTE: Split peas and lentils don't need to be soaked. They take about 30 minutes to cook,

Dried beans are often soaked too long. Most recipes say overnight. The best way is to put them in cold water; bring them gently to a boil and then with saucepan off the heat, allow them to remain in the water for 1 to 2 hours only.

Do not add salt or acidic ingredients, like vinegar, tomatoes or juice, this will slow the cooking process. Instead, add these ingredients when the beans are just tender.

If soaked too long, they may ferment, which affects their flavor and makes them difficult to digest. NOTE: To help in the digestion of beans, always discard the water in which they were soaked.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/driedbeantip.htm

Edited by Maryaam

• Veteran Member

^

Hmm...interesting do you mean coriander leaves i.e. cilantro or ground coriander?

What goes into my hummus right now is just chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and cumin along with a drizzle of EVOO (thank you Rachel Ray) when I serve it.

Edited by Talib-e-Ilm

• Advanced Member

^ I like it the way you mentioned, sans the cumin, but instead with paprika sprinkled on top.

Sometimes I like it with sliced black olives in it too .... might be something to try IF you like olives. I can eat hummus with little triangles of pita bread, or with some naan (my favorite), or I'll eat it with spicy rice (i scoop a teaspoon full of the hummus onto my dinner plate sometimes, and mix a tiny bit of the hummus with my fork into my spicy rice). Maybe you could try it these different ways.

• Veteran Member

If they come in the can they are already soaked and cooked - that is they are ready to use. Dry chick peas or garbanzos are a lot cheaper - but more work :) Maybe by the time you pay for the electricity to cook them though they are the same price ...

• Advanced Member
OK... this is where trying to learn recipes is tough for me... whenever I try to get a recipe from a sister, it's always "a little bit of this, and a little bit of that and whatever else you want to add". My question is, what did you add to make it taste just like that, coz that's what I'm after.... :P

loool..well, I was trying to be as simplistic as possible. And it is actually very simple. So while the chickpeas are nearly cooked, add 1-2 cloves of minced garlic [ also depends on the amount you're cooking; usually 2-3 cups of chickpeas), 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder, and the salt you add however you want.

And for those who do it the 'can-way' , it won't taste as good as the fresh dried chickpeas you get! :P Yes, and soaking them overnight will help A LOT in minimizing the time you cook them on the oven.

• Veteran Member
^ I like it the way you mentioned, sans the cumin, but instead with paprika sprinkled on top.

Sometimes I like it with sliced black olives in it too .... might be something to try IF you like olives. I can eat hummus with little triangles of pita bread, or with some naan (my favorite), or I'll eat it with spicy rice (i scoop a teaspoon full of the hummus onto my dinner plate sometimes, and mix a tiny bit of the hummus with my fork into my spicy rice). Maybe you could try it these different ways.

I sprinkle spices on it sometimes too...usually a pinch of cayenne and a little extra cumin. Never thought of mixing hummus with spicy rice. I'll give it a try next time we have biryani. Our local Lebanese restaurant has started throwing shawarma into hummus so I might experiment with adding meat as well. Thanks for your suggestions. :)

Edited by Talib-e-Ilm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Salaam.

'Hummus' means 'chick-peas' in Arabic. The Hummus dish is indeed a well known starter of Arabic cuisine - especialy in North Middle-East (Syria, Lebanon, etc). The starter dish has become recognised and popular in parts of Europe and Africa recently.

Hummus dish is simply cooked chick-peas that is either coarsley ground or mashed into a paste - according to ones taste, then added to it is abit of sesame-seed paste called Tahinah in Arabic, abit of lemon juice and salt - abit of chrushed garlic is optional. This is a basic Hummus! If you wish to add to it then fresh herbs eq parsley, celery or coriander compliment alot with a dazzle of olive oil and abit of chrushed deseeded green peppers or red chilli powder. If you want to be extra then a few whole chick-peas can be put in the centre. It always accompanies bread or naan. After this its upto you what you wish to serve it with. Falaafal (chick-pea patties) and salad is my favourite. Just a hummus and salad sandwich is a lovely light lunch or supper.