In the Name of God بسم الله

10 Essential Books For Every Shia

Rate this topic

Renaissance_Man

• Veteran Member

Like the subject says, what 10 books are a must have for every Shia household? Here's my list:

1. [Quran] Holy Quran w/ English translation & commentary by Mi Ahmed Ali & Pooya Yazdi

2. [Hadith] Nahjul Balagha - Imam Ali (as)

3. [Fiqh] Islamic Laws - Ayat. Seestani

4. [Duas] Mafatih Al-Jinan

5. [Karbala] Tears & Tributes

6. [shiaism] Shia - Allama Tabatabai

7. [Philosophy] Our Philosophy

8. [Quran] Lessons from Qur'an

9. [imam Mahdi] The Occultation of the Twelfth Imam (A Historical Background)

10. [History] Origin and Development of Early Shia Islam

• Advanced Member
Like the subject says, what 10 books are a must have for every Shia household? Here's my list:

1. [Quran] Holy Quran w/ English translation & commentary by Mi Ahmed Ali & Pooya Yazdi

Thanks a lot..............true all these books are a must for everyhouse........i hope i can collect them all.

• Advanced Member

Thanks a lot..............true all these books are a must for everyhouse........i hope i can collect them all.

• Advanced Member

a list of important books... thanks for compiling this list...

could you please specify the authors of the 5th, 9th, and the 10th titles

of course, couldn't be called the FINAL list... I am sure you know about other important titles in Shia literature that made significant impact on our understanding... for example, Tejani's Then I was Guided .... A Shiite Anthology is also a good collection, and, I think, everyone should read it...

• Veteran Member

^

Tears & Tributes is by an anonymous author called "Zakir." Its the most beautiful narration of Karbala I've ever seen in English. Written in the style of a novel and very moving.

The Occultation of the Twelfth Imam is by Jassim M. Hussain. I like this book because it explains the historical context surrounding the occultation instead of just polemical arguments.

Origin and Development of Early Shia Islam is by Syed Husain Mohammead Jafri. This gives a detailed history of the evolution of Shiaism during its formative period, mainly from Saqifa to the time of the 6th Imam.

You can find a few portions from Tears and Tributes on the web and the last two in full.

I agree Tijani's book could be on the list although I'd prefer a more comprehensive book on the Shia/Sunni subject. Maybe you can swap #10 for it. Shiite Anthology is okay but most of the same material can be found in the others books.

The books I've listed are the ones I feel have the most replay value. Books that people constantly need to refer to in their daily lives.

• Veteran Member

^

Mafatih Al-Jinan in English is an elusive find. There are two versions of it, "The Prayers Almanac" by P.E.T Publications and something called "Call on Me I will answer you" (?) by Ansaryian. The P.E.T. one is available online here (http://www.shiamasjid.net/books/Almanac/). The only thing I don't like about it is the Arabic text seems kinda scunched together making it a little difficult to read. I hope the text in the Ansaryian version is a little clearer. Can't find either one at al-khoei.org or anywhere else.

• Advanced Member
^

Tears & Tributes is by an anonymous author called "Zakir." Its the most beautiful narration of Karbala I've ever seen in English. Written in the style of a novel and very moving.

The Occultation of the Twelfth Imam is by Jassim M. Hussain. I like this book because it explains the historical context surrounding the occultation instead of just polemical arguments.

Origin and Development of Early Shia Islam is by Syed Husain Mohammead Jafri. This gives a detailed history of the evolution of Shiaism during its formative period, mainly from Saqifa to the time of the 6th Imam.

You can find a few portions from Tears and Tributes on the web and the last two in full.

I agree Tijani's book could be on the list although I'd prefer a more comprehensive book on the Shia/Sunni subject. Maybe you can swap #10 for it. Shiite Anthology is okay but most of the same material can be found in the others books.

The books I've listed are the ones I feel have the most replay value. Books that people constantly need to refer to in their daily lives.

thank you!

• Advanced Member
Can't find either one at al-khoei.org or anywhere else.

(salam)

www.eimaan.co.uk do Mafatih in English on the following page

http://www.eimaan.co.uk/index.php?cat=Dua

MAFATIHUL JINAN keys of Heavans

Translated by Murtaza Lakha

Mafatih of Shaykh Abbas al-Qummi. Arabic text with commentary and instructions in English

Ma'salam

T

• Veteran Member

^

#7 is Our Philosophy is by the martyred Ayatullah Baqir as-Sadr ( http://www.al-islam.org/philosophy/ ). Its an introduction to some of basic ideas of Islamic Philosophy such as epistemology, casuality, God, and materialism. IMO, its important for educated Muslims to acquire some knowledge about hikmah so they can move beyond primitive conceptions of God and gain a deeper understanding of the divine. But be warned, it's not an easy book to read. Be prepared to sit down, study and reflect on it.

#8 is Lessons from Qur'an by Muhsin Qarati ( http://www.al-islam.org/lessons/index.htm ). This book is an intellectual but down-to-earth discussion of the usool (fundamentals of religion) and is particularly good for older kids and those new to the religion. I'm a little impartial to this myself because it was the first serious book on Islam that I read as a kid. Its similar to the type of books Sayyid Mujtaba Musavi Lari writes and in fact I consider this as a condensed version of all 4 of his books on usool.

Edited by Talib-e-Ilm

• 4 weeks later...
Guest filipini

salamon alaykom brothers and sisters

i read the list. and alhamdulillah i have them all and read them too. if not because of my father's legacy (shia islam and a huge library of islamic books) i would have not encountered these beautiful books.

peshawar nights by Sultanu'l-Wa'izin Shirazi is a comparative study kinda book for a shia to have too. a combat kit if you will for a brother/sister.

sahifah assajadiyah is a must have too.

and of all the books i recommend to all the shia brothers and sisters to have is KITAB AL-IRSHAD by Al-Mufid. it is a biography of all the 14 infallibles. it is a very good book. the best so far if the Ma'soomeen is concerned. it is just one book, and all the Ma'soomeen's biography are there. you should read specific books for more details of each of the Ma'soomeen though. but this book is mind-quenching already.:)

tears and tribute by far is the most beautiful & heart-rending book i have read about the events of karbala. it is a must-read. i cried like a baby when i was reading it during muharram way way back in my high school years.

i hope you dig these books i recommended, i am sure you wont be disapointed.

from Muhammad Ashraf Jumaani (a.k.a. filipini)

maassalam

• Veteran Member

^

Brother filipini, how would you rate Peshawar Nights compared to say al-Murajaat or Tijani's books? Personally, I think its not as scholarly and many of the references are obscure. Also there are suspicions regarding the authenticity of this book as well.

Kitab al-Irshad to me is more of a hadith book than a biography. There's some interesting hadith in there about events in the lives of the infallibles but little cohesiveness between them.

Guest filipini
^

Kitab al-Irshad to me is more of a hadith book than a biography. There's some interesting hadith in there about events in the lives of the infallibles but little cohesiveness between them.

yerp, and a biography it is based on hadiths. a reader can read the sources immediately and it heartens the reader even more to read because it is backed up by hadith right away. it is very useful especially for reverts nad converts alike.:)

i think i like peshawar nights more than the Right Path. Peshawar Nights was a public discussion not like the former were letters were exchnaged between two great scholars of Shii/Sunni schools of thought privately. an experienced reader can feel the pressure, the heat and the truth of the discussions in PN, twas recorded live by the way, published in newspapers daily during the 10-day discussion and made into a book eventually.

that's my opinion by the way. peace? :angel:

• Advanced Member
Brother filipini, how would you rate Peshawar Nights compared to say al-Murajaat or Tijani's books? Personally, I think its not as scholarly and many of the references are obscure. Also there are suspicions regarding the authenticity of this book as well.

Even though you've asked the brother, I would like to answer on some points.

- The 'obscure' references mentioned in the book are references quoted from the books printed during that era. It is a fact that the later editions of the references mentioned in the book have either been distorted or removed from the original book. For instance. This is just one case.

- Most of the `ulema would recommend you either al-Murajaat or Peshawar Nights for Shi'a-Sunni. There is no doubt on the authenticity. The hype regarding the suspicions has been created so that the reader wouldn't trust the book while reading it.

- Some people also state that their 2yr olds would do better in debating than the Sunni scholars who seemed dumb and ignorant lacking common sense (which they think to be "staged"). We have to keep in mind the century in which the debate was held. Also, the fact that they kept quiet proves that they knew what was present in their books and intentionally overlooked it.

- Lastly, even if all the above points do not hold for whatever reasons, we cannot dismiss the logic with which the scholar debated with his opponents.

Guest filipini
Hayaat ul-Quloob - Allama Majlisi

Oddatol Daee

ya ya. my father's library does have one too (oddatol daee) . i read it. i specially love the dua for engaging in warfare, that dua of Imam Ali: ya huwa, ya man la huwa, illa huwa.:)

i did not have the chance to read adabus sala, because i was busy for my paper works to go here in saudi.:(

inshaAllah when i get back to philippines i'll read some books again.

Edited by filipini

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Commentry by Ahmed Ali & Pooya is full of exaggeration.

Other good books :

Self Buiding by Ayat. Amini , http://www.al-islam.org/selfbuilding/

World of Youth by Sayed Fadhlallah , http://english.bayynat.org.lb/WorldofYouth/index.htm

Perfect Man by Martyr Mutahhari

Adab al-Suluk , http://al-islam.org/al-tawhid/adab_al_suluk/

• Advanced Member

^According to Murabit, there are exaggerations because the translation and the exegesis wasn't done the Sunni way and they contain the glorifications of the Ahlul Bayt (A) and not the 3 Usurpers.

As for that book 'Origins and Development...', if you look at the references of some of the controversial topics, most of them are from at-Tabari (Sunni source) and Rijal Kishi (or Kashi) which is known for its weak narrations in scholarly circles.

• Advanced Member
Can you please elaborate on this?

Salam bro.

I missed this somehow lol :)

Ummm okay from the top of my head, the author has said some very wrong things about Zaid. He said that Zaid:

a. Accepted the caliphate of Umar and Abu Bakr for political purposes.

b. Rejected Taqiyyah.

c. Accepted that a mafdul can be an Imam over an afdal.

He has also implied that he didn't accept his brother's Imamate.

I have yet to come across the opinion of a SINGLE scholar which concurs with this view on Zaid bin Ali.

Also he says that the supernatural events that occurred after the death of Hussain (as) were "produced" supernatural stories and "legends". On what basis does he make that claim?

Also as SpIzo mentioned the references used aren't all that reliable. I prefer something more solid.

One really good book on history is The Despotic Rulers by Shaykh Muhammad Mughniyyah. The references used are reliable ones. Have you read it? If not, then do. I can give you a short summary if you want.

• Veteran Member
Salam bro.

I missed this somehow lol :)

Ummm okay from the top of my head, the author has said some very wrong things about Zaid. He said that Zaid:

a. Accepted the caliphate of Umar and Abu Bakr for political purposes.

b. Rejected Taqiyyah.

c. Accepted that a mafdul can be an Imam over an afdal.

He has also implied that he didn't accept his brother's Imamate.

I have yet to come across the opinion of a SINGLE scholar which concurs with this view on Zaid bin Ali.

Also he says that the supernatural events that occurred after the death of Hussain (as) were "produced" supernatural stories and "legends". On what basis does he make that claim?

Also as SpIzo mentioned the references used aren't all that reliable. I prefer something more solid.

One really good book on history is The Despotic Rulers by Shaykh Muhammad Mughniyyah. The references used are reliable ones. Have you read it? If not, then do. I can give you a short summary if you want.

Walaykum asalaam.

I went back and reread the chapter on Zaid. You are right, there's errors in that chapter which are probably due the fact that most of the references are based on Rijal al-Kashi as Spizo pointed out. I remember this was one of the issues with Modarressi's book too.

As for Karbala, he does not deny the supernatural events occurring around the martyrdom of Imam Husayn (as). In chapter 7 he cites the opinion of a German orientalist who casted doubt upon the authenticity of the book Maqtal al-Husayn, the primary historical source about the tragedy of Karbala, because it mentions miracles and supernatural events. The author in fact defends the Maqtal against these claims and strives to prove the integrity of the author and his book.

"The Despotic Rulers" sounds interesting. What time period in history is it about?

Edited by Talib-e-Ilm