Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Syed Jafri

Official Muslim Congress 2007 Thread

Bro; big names like Abbas Aeliya, Fazil Moosavi, Zaki Baqri, and many many other aalim come and go all the time.

True , May Allah(SWT) protect all our marjas and righteous ulemas from the evil hands and keep them safe under the guardianship of 14teen masoomeens Insh Allah

I see.

Khair, I think you guys should give it a try still, InshAllah it'll be fine :D or :dry: do it in like New York or something near Canada :P

Do it in Montreal, so i dont have to buy a plane ticket.

What about for the sisters, who should we meet up with?

Sisters msg here or pm me so we can organize our meeting up too :)

Asalamu alaikum Sisters,

We will be having a session especially for the sisters on Saturday evening, insha'Allah, after all the programs are over with. It will be very relaxed and informal, similar to what we had last year (if you were there and able to attend it, you may recall). Signs will be posted, inshaA.

To all of the sisters (especially those coming on their own from out of town), please feel free to contact me if you need any help or info regarding anything! PM me if you would like to have my contact info on hand just in case you need someone to contact while in town (Orlando).

mz7eighty6, are you and your sister coming again this year??

Layla

Salam alaykum,

Al Noor, no, unfortunately, mz7eighty6 and I can't make it this year. It's just not a good time. But inshallah we do plan to go next year, so we'll see you then.

-iloveislam

How many nicks do u have :!!!: ^aha :angel:

Br.Syed Jafri whats your plan for saturday night ? hanging out with ulemas ?

Edited by Lion

I am going ... with my wife, inshaAllah.

That may be correct. But I'm not sure if it's a "shi'ite" group.

He is probably talking about American Islamic Congress (which is not a "Shi'a" group, but is ran by a Shi'a).

How many nicks do u have :!!!: ^aha :angel:

Br.Syed Jafri whats your plan for saturday night ? hanging out with ulemas ?

I think they are having like a youth session on saturday evening/night ... but I'll play it by ear I guess, last year was great where we had all the young guys speaking with Sheikh Mohammad Ali Baig and Sheikh Humza till like 3 am ... haha everyone was dead the next day though.

Very good. MashaAllah. This message is exactly what we all should be following. Several times on this website, I've made requests for people to assist me in relaunching www.oppression.org but I have not been successful in attaining help.

Cycle of Oppression

www.oppression.org

There was once was a battle1 between good and evil, between the virtuous and the wicked, between head of virtue and the head of impiety. There once rose a man who championed the rights of the oppressed; a man who stood against corruption and the destruction of human rights. He and his band of seventy-two rose against an army of thousands, creating a historical symbol of unity and struggle against evil, injustice, and oppression. This stance was reminiscent to Moses against Pharaoh, David against Goliath, John the Baptist against Herod, Christ before Pontius Pilate, and Muhammad against Abu Jahl and Abu Sufyan. This man was Husayn ibn Ali, the grandson of the last of Prophet of Islam, Muhammad al Mustafa.

The battle took place on the parched plains of the Karbala, under the blazing sun and stifling heat of Arabia. After a three day standoff near the Euphrates river, Imam2 Husayn and his partisans of family and friends -- including women, children, and the elderly -- were all massacred. Imam Husayn’s dedication to justice ultimately led to his martyrdom. Muslims and non-Muslims alike revere him for his upright character and refusal to surrender to oppressive authorities.

“Remember that when you see a ruler who does what has been forbidden by God and His Messenger, who indulges in sins, who oppresses the people he rules, and you do nothing to stop such a ruler, before God you are guilty as he is.” - Imam Husayn before leaving to face the oppressors.

After examining every grain from the sands of time, one comes to the conclusion that history is filled with repetition. The events that historians recorded long ago parallel exactly what we are now seeing in Iraq, Afghanistan and even Palestine. What took place in Karbala in Imam Husayn's time is currently occurring all over the world.

The degradation of millions, the deaths of thousands, the annihilation of villages, and the tearing away of innocence from children makes one see how little we learned from our past. The mind tends to ignore certain aspects of history, and over time, these forgotten stories become myth-like. The truth becomes lost in humanity’s attempt to repaint history in a more favorable light. The result is recurring cycle of oppression that must be stopped by understanding why the truth is altered.

A fear of change -- change in society and change in one's self -- allows one to ignore the guilt that comes with the realization that nothing was done to stop an oppressive action. This form of self-indulgence contributes to widespread ignorance regarding reality. If we choose to not educate ourselves about Iraq, then we cannot feel guilty about the fact that every seven minutes an Iraqi child takes his last breathe, and ultimately, we cannot be motivated to change the situation. This inaction breathes life into the cycle of oppression.

Imam Husayn showed us how hiding the truth is in effect, the same as aligning ourselves with oppressive regimes. These regimes are not only those governments that torture and murder, but also those that condone sanctions and the death of five thousand Iraqi children under the age of five every month3. We become the oppressors.

The reality is that the war against Afghanistan is not a war against terrorism; it is a war against humanity. Although we can pacify our consciences by pretending that this war is not significantly affecting Afghani civilians, the truth is exactly the opposite. The destroyed villages, the orphans, the widows, the childless mothers and the hundreds of thousands of refugees all tell the true story.

Imam Husayn has a special place in the hearts of the oppressed. As they remind themselves of his epic, they pray that his vision of justice carries on in humanity. We must remind ourselves to use his story to inspire ourselves to actively challenge oppression.

Written by Hina A. and S. "Ali"

(co-founders of Oppression.org)

Originally published in the Catholic Worker House Newsletter

Footnotes:

1. The battle took place in 680 AD against the oppressive regime of the Umayyad Dynasty under the rule of Yazid ibn Mauwiya.

2. Imam means Leader, Imam Husain is the third Imam of the Ja’faria Shi’ite-Muslims.

3. "It’s a hard choice, but I think, we, think, it’s worth it." Madeleine Albright’s response to a May 11, 1996 question asked on “60 Minutes”--if the price of over a half a million children being killed by the [iraqi] sanctions 'worth it.'

References:

Imam Husain (a.s.) the Savior of Islam

Bro Ahmad Haneef was wonderful in his analogy on Man and Women... but i think H I Abbas Aleya was the best speaker in terms of both, content and intent... H I Baig provided topping on Sayyid Abbas Aleya's wonderful speech.. I missed Imam Asi too much.. Sayyid Tejani was so impressive and i was honoured to meet him face to face.. Among the other speakers i liked H I Abdul Jaleel, H I Eslami.. workshops could have been organized much better .. but anyways it is a learning phase..

I met bro Syed Jafri.. could not meet others..

Edited by shabib_jaisi

Salaam,

I don't think I've ever heard so many salawats--loud ones at that-- in my entire life. Especially on Saturday(?) night when the brother converted to Islam and said the shahada. That was just amazing it made me all teary eyed!

Oh, and the BEST workshop was that one solving youth problems or something like that...with the 4 sheikhs on the panel...that was the best, if only it could have been longer!!

Can't wait till next year inshaAllah :)

w'salaams

The brother who converted to Islam is actually my friend from college, we met last year when the MSA and Brothers of Struggle (a black student organization on campus) hosted an event together on Islam and Hip Hop - From Malcolm to Tupac, where Sheikh Hashim Aloudeen gave a lecture.

In short, he had already started reading up on Islam, I introduced him to Sheikh Hashim (who is also an african american revert/convert) and we gave him a few books on Islam ... when he came to MC this year, he already knew he wanted to be Muslim but he didn't know how, he spent time speaking with Sheikhs and other brothers and took the Shada after the Dhur prayers. I'm sure that he was hit with way too much information this weekend, but inshAllah slowly he can read up and learn and practice the faith. Its really awesome to see someone accept Islam, and inshAllah I hope that many more will do so in this country.

I spoke with Brother Yahya (the one who reverted to Islam), MashaAllah he has a good head on his shoulders and we should all pray for him and pray that he scores well on his LSAT.

I was going to write a formal review of the conference...

I'm curious what the sisters think about what Shaikh Haneef talked about?

The youth session... intriguing but some sisters feel some of the Shaikhs were too graphic. I wouldn't mind the graphic language if it was just baligh brothers in the room.

I would love to hear Maulana Abbas Aeliya's lecture (I missed most of it since I had to drop my brother at the airport). But the end I did catch -- it was amazing :) Our private discussion with the Maulana made up for it.

...Did anyone have lizards crawling on the walls in their rooms?

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

I spoke with Brother Yahya (the one who reverted to Islam), MashaAllah he has a good head on his shoulders and we should all pray for him and pray that he scores well on his LSAT.

I was going to write a formal review of the conference...

The youth session... intriguing but some sisters feel some of the Shaikhs were too graphic. I wouldn't mind the graphic language if it was just baligh brothers in the room.

I would love to hear Maulana Abbas Aeliya's lecture (I missed most of it since I had to drop my brother at the airport). But the end I did catch -- it was amazing :) Our private discussion with the Maulana made up for it.

...Did anyone have lizards crawling on the walls in their rooms?

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

Sheikh Haneef--He was the sheikh that was talkinga bout girls hijab...heels, etc right?...Yea, we talked to him later on..and I mentioned it to Sheikh Hashim. I think he had pure intentions, and just couldn't get the wording right. I honestly felt disrespected the way it was all said though. There were some things I didn't agree with in his lecture that he had given to everyone as well..but again could be the wording.

lol, Also didn't like how sisters were blamed for guys going to do mutah because girls ask for too much for mehr. But I talked about that in private as well later on--though I still didn't like how Sheikh Nurideen (?) said that to a whole bunch of youth. Kheir inshallah. That was still a great workshop. It kept everyone interested especially with some of the jokes and sarcasm that sheikh hashim and sheikh nurideen threw in. There should be more of those types of workshops. Maybe if MC could have something like that every night of the conference for an hour and a half or two hours? Because there were many questions that everyone had and there was just too little time! And also...if there was a sister on the panel that would be better as well, being that she could answer questions like that hijab one...

And no, no lizards. Definatly had a HUGE flying cockroach in our room the first night. Changed rooms after someone killed it for us and the girls took it to the front desk haha. I saw a HUGE frog though one morning when I was going to Fajr!!

w'salaam

^

I don't think there was an amiss on the wording. It was pretty obvious what he meant or was trying to say. But again I think such wording is fine if it was said in a segregated gathering -- or maybe I'm just old-school :)

About the MAHR, I don' think it's a major deal in the Indo-Pak culture but it may be in the Iranian/Arab culture. The major problem in the Indo-Pak community is parents not allowing their sons to marry when they are ready.

Yea I've heard stories of holes in the wall.. headboards falling off the wall.. definitely not worth $89.00

I was worried about lizards falling on my daughter why she slept in the crib!

Overall the conference was excellent. I would suggest having smaller conferences or seminars throughout the year in different communities. InshaAllah.

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

Saalam

The first day was good but nothing compare to as last year in houston. Alhamdolilah, it was honor to meet Dr.Tejani and to get his autograph. Missed Imam Asi :squeez: , Imam Musa as usal he rocks :angel:

Overall, The conference was good!

Alhamdolilah, met bro Syed Jafri(coincidentally he happens to be my best friend , best friends )bytheway Syed, I read your article about BARNEY ISLAM :unsure: in momin magzine.

Br.Dhulfiqar :angel: was mash Allah lol

how many brothers and sisters attended?

Preregistration doubled from last year. But there many people registration during the conference. The lecture hall and dinner hall were near capacity. The conference truly is a grass-root movement since the main mode of advertisement for the conference is word of mouth. MashaAllah.

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

The best part for me was Maulana baig in the end...i hadn't heard him before that but just judging by that one speech, I could tell that he is definitely a revolutionary and one who will finally get shias off their behinds and start working on something.

I agree, we should have had more workshops and after the workshops we should have informal discussions in the same room as the wkshop - thats when you really learn because you get to hear fellow youth. Also, I don't think having discussions outside in the hallway after each wkshop would work because everyone gets busy with socializing and its not the right atmosphere to discuss the workshop they just attended.

Overall, the speakers really blew me away, and Im not sure why either because this is what we should expect out of shia ulema and a shia organization. I guess all those years of UMAA can make you disillusioned. Im still pro-UMAA though, because it offers an alternative view to MC.

Inshallah next year will be even more ppl and will have all the kinks worked out.

Salaams,

I know you said that more details will be provided at MC about the marriage service, but do you happen to have any details? Is the marriage service only going to be active during the conference or during other times, perhaps throughout the year? Also, will it be arranging for people to meet at the conference or something? Do you have to be physically present at the conference to use this matchmaking service? (The reason I'm asking is that I may want to use this service but I am not currently planning to attend. However, any additional information you can provide might change my mind.) Thanks.

Salam sis, i was at the marriage forum, and alhamdullilah there was a very good crowd there. A good number of people attended on both sides, with sisters making up a higher percentage than the brothers. Although I didn't particularly like the fact that many sisters left (escaped) after all the brothers went up with their introductions, its understandable as girls need to be more modest than guys. Some of the sisters had their friends or family represent them instead of being there personally. All the brothers presented themselves very confidently and were straightforward in what type of person they were looking for - the brothers' ages was also of a wide range so sisters from ages anywhere around 17 to 40 could find someone in the desirable age range.

Im hoping that more people come to the marriage forum next year, and even if they are going through traditional means like parents and dont require such a service, they should still give it a try, especially because its MC, a very respectable organization, and also given the fact that our most important criteria in choosing a partner should be ones emaan, and parents aren't always particular about that. If more people attend, it would also lessen the stigma associated with using such a service - and the people who really depend on such a service wouldn't be embarrassed to use it. Inshallah I think we will have an even bigger turnout in the marriage forum next year. Im gonna attend, single or not! lol....

Edited by basha

as a woman, i strongly disagreed with his description of the nature of women. it was a neat and well-presented idea, but i did not think it captured the essence of a woman at all. definitely, it did not describe ME, and i am female. i also was very uncomfortable with his implication that in order to be feminine, women need to be powerless. i also felt the "chest" example - although tactfully presented - was inappropriate.

however, to be fair, although i was strongly disturbed by his ideas, he delivered them in a complex and intellectual way. in fact, i wondered if all of the audience could even understand the implications of what he was saying because he used many subtleties.

in contrast, i really liked the next day's speech about hijab (the one that was delivered in farsi). i wasn't expecting to like it, but i did. i felt he had some good points.

as a woman, i strongly disagreed with his description of the nature of women. it was a neat and well-presented idea, but i did not think it captured the essence of a woman at all. definitely, it did not describe ME, and i am female. i also was very uncomfortable with his implication that in order to be feminine, women need to be powerless. i also felt the "chest" example - although tactfully presented - was inappropriate.

however, to be fair, although i was strongly disturbed by his ideas, he delivered them in a complex and intellectual way. in fact, i wondered if all of the audience could even understand the implications of what he was saying because he used many subtleties.

in contrast, i really liked the next day's speech about hijab (the one that was delivered in farsi). i wasn't expecting to like it, but i did. i felt he had some good points.

I think the concept of Majestic vs. Beautiful is something new and quite interesting. In fact, I find it in a way compeling. And his opinion that femininity is being looked down upon is something I did not contrive but I am now inclined to that opinion. I didn't find the chest example inappropriate as much as the later example next day in youth workshop. I think he made his point quite clear and did not need to give examples of how stilettos are used in the film industry.

Unfortunately, just when Shaikh Eslami was going to start his discussion on Hijab I had to walk out and assist someone.

Im curious why there weren't any women speakers--it would have been interesting to be schooled by a Sister on some of these topics.

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar