Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
The Persian Shah

Sleeping On Belly

Rate this topic

yes if you look in kitab al irshad, when imam ali (as) was going to the mosque on the morn that he was struck, ibn muljam was sleeping on his stomach (hiding the sword) and the imam tapped him with his foot to wake him for prayer and said do not sleep on your stomach the devil sleeps on its stomach (this is from memory so could be wrong).

also there is a hadith (i forget narrated from whom) which pretty much says smething like to sleep on the left is for the hypocrites, to sleep on the right is for the righteous (? could be wrong abotu this, but it was something of this flavour), sleeping on the back is for the prophets and sleeping on the stomach is for shaytan.

If you look at it from a medical perspective, sleeping on the right side puts least pressure on the heart, and sleeping on the stomach puts pressure on the stomach, airway etc.

im sure you can find this somewhere, i read it in english.

(salam)

One shouldn't not sleep on his face and abdomen because it is the sleep of the Satan and is harmful to the self and body. The believers sleep on their backs or right sides except if there is an excuse

Taken from www.duas.org/sleeping_tips

wasalaam

H

yes if you look in kitab al irshad, when imam ali (as) was going to the mosque on the morn that he was struck, ibn muljam was sleeping on his stomach (hiding the sword) and the imam tapped him with his foot to wake him for prayer and said do not sleep on your stomach the devil sleeps on its stomach (this is from memory so could be wrong).

also there is a hadith (i forget narrated from whom) which pretty much says smething like to sleep on the left is for the hypocrites, to sleep on the right is for the righteous (? could be wrong abotu this, but it was something of this flavour), sleeping on the back is for the prophets and sleeping on the stomach is for shaytan.

If you look at it from a medical perspective, sleeping on the right side puts least pressure on the heart, and sleeping on the stomach puts pressure on the stomach, airway etc.

im sure you can find this somewhere, i read it in english.

(salam)

This may be correct but doctors highly recommend that pregnant women sleep on thier left to prevent pressure in the organs that are on the right. I think its liver and kidney.

(salam)

This may be correct but doctors highly recommend that pregnant women sleep on thier left to prevent pressure in the organs that are on the right. I think its liver and kidney.

liver is it, u got a kidney on each side, and the heart is on the left

(salam)

never heard of such a thing. were did you get that info from? I agree with mo i dont see how sleeping on your left will ease pressure on the kidney, they are symmetrically positioned on either side of the body and are at the back not the side. Are you perhaps saying that pressure to the liver will cause possible to the kidney on the right side and that this will cause probs?

When you sleep on your stomach your rushing all the blood pressure to one place and blocking many airways. However, sleeping on your back doesn't have any disadvantages. All the airways are open and blood is sent everywhere across your body to relieve the tension. I don't understand how people manage to sleep on their stomach's.

(salam)

I am sorry if it sounds weird but sleeping on the belly is not good for young men as well because it can provoke wet dreams because of the rubbing of the genitals with the bed.

never heard of such a thing. were did you get that info from? I agree with mo i dont see how sleeping on your left will ease pressure on the kidney, they are symmetrically positioned on either side of the body and are at the back not the side. Are you perhaps saying that pressure to the liver will cause possible to the kidney on the right side and that this will cause probs?

(salam)

Try to keep in mind that I said pregnant women. I had both my midwife and doctor tell me it is best to sleep on my left. You can google it too, check baby center its there too. The pressure from the weight of the baby is no feather. I wasn't saying that the pressure from the liver would do anything to the kidney....I just couldn't remember if it was the kidney or liver that was under the pressure....but anyway ill listen to my midwife and doctor, I believe they know what theyre talking about.

Zahra.

Try to keep in mind that I said pregnant women. I had both my midwife and doctor tell me it is best to sleep on my left. You can google it too, check baby center its there too. The pressure from the weight of the baby is no feather. I wasn't saying that the pressure from the liver would do anything to the kidney....I just couldn't remember if it was the kidney or liver that was under the pressure....but anyway ill listen to my midwife and doctor, I believe they know what theyre talking about.

Zahra.

Most likely if under such a circumstance, then I'm sure you would be permitted to do so.. :rolleyes:

but i find this sleep the most relaxing.....

Same, it's really hard trying to get out of the habit of it now.. :(

ya i read that a man was sleeping on his belly and the Prophet nudged or tapped with his foot i think to wake him and 2 tell him this is abhorred. but i dont know about leftside being off limits becuz sometimes my right side gets sore lol. i need 2 double check on that becuz in that same hadith i read i didnt see it saying anything in negative for any position except stomache.

My little sister had a habit of sleeping on her belly. I kept on telling her not to do it and finally I told her about Ibn Muljim (LA). The poor thing stopped it after that

:unsure: I felt guilty for freaking her out like that afterwards.

Salaam.

Sleeping on the front (abdomen / tummy) is Makruh. Thus there are reasons for it.

However from what I know firstly the shaytan maluwn sleeps on his front. Secondly it is harmful to the health in many ways. Placing infants to sleep of their abs is one of the main causes of cot-death (sudden death syndrome in babies).

Also I am sure there must be many other good reasons so enough to say try to avoid sleeping on your Ab unless ofcourse there is a medical reason. When you go to bed initially lay on your right side, then if you need you may turn on your back or on your left. But sleeping on your ab is a no. And Mawla Ali (ph) advising Abdulrahman Ibn-Muljim (ln) needs no further proof in this matter. If one has already formed such a habit then I am sure with trying to come out you will be doing your own health a favour.

Wa-Salaam.

It would be helpful if anyone can provide accurate sources for their claims (especially those vis-a-vis "Kitab Al-Irshad").

I recently received this email from a representative of Sayed Al-Sistani [HA] (najaf.org):

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

It is not haram to do that

Wassalamu Alaykum

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 10:51 AM

To: ***

Subject:

Salam,

Is it true that sleeping on one's front side, or left side is Haram, whilst

sleeping on the right side is permissible and sleeping on the back is

mustahab ?

And does this apply to just sleeping, or lieing down as well (i.e. can one

not lie down on the left or front either) ?

With Prayers For Your Success,