Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
El-hage

Friends Problem

Rate this topic

(salam)

So, I have been encountering some problems lately.

Since moving from Ottawa (Canadian City) to Toronto (another Canadian city) I have noticed my Sunni "friends" have become completely backwards with their thinking and their day to day life routines, especially after the war in Lebanon.

One "friend" called Ayatollah Sistani stupid, for not allowing playing chess, and the other idiot started calling me 7izbo al-shaytan, "the pary of shaytan"

So far I have deleted many Sunnis off my msn because of their foul behavior and their hate of my love for ahlol bait, I say screw'em, my religion before any friendship/relationship.

Even my Christian friends and Jewish friends don’t get me this agitated, is it only me that am experiencing stupid Sunnis like this? Or was this by chance? Or do you not associate with Sunnis at all lol

(salam)

Hussein

^Salams,

That's not very common. I live in Canada as well and the majority of my friends are Sunni. They all tend to maintain a no religious dialouge atmosphere, cuz they understand how heated the debates can get, causing division. Were all good friends and we counter our difference and apply our comparisons.

Those friends aren't friends. You shouldn't hang with them anymore...You did a good job.

^Salams,

That's not very common. I live in Canada as well and the majority of my friends are Sunni. They all tend to maintain a no religious dialouge atmosphere, cuz they understand how heated the debates can get, causing division. Were all good friends and we counter our difference and apply our comparisons.

Those friends aren't friends. You shouldn't hang with them anymore...You did a good job.

yea

99% of my freinds are sunnis too, we really cool with each other, it dont matter to me if ur shia or sunni to be a freind.

If you're like me- the kind of person who values religious discussions and has a tendency to discuss such philosophy with friends, I'd highly recommend befriending more open-minded people cuz you're likely not going to get anywhere with fools like that (not because they're Sunni, but because they're close-minded). I'm betting it's not a problem exclusive to your community nor to certain groups, because believe me, as opposed to the fools in question being Sunnis, I've actually experienced similar problems with my "SHI'A" friends.

Edited by LightTheWay786

Dunno' where you been hanging around in Toronto; but most Sunni friends that I have don't even know the ABCs of their own religion...

I used to be around a few hard-core Wahabis as well (they weren't before, they turned Wahabis over the number of years), but I didn't mind discussing things with them...

Edited by Ali_Imran

I spend most of my time around my sunni friends, theres only 2 shias in our group, so it gets awkward at times like Ramadhan,

Eid n Muharram, but we dont really talk about sects of Islam i particular, when we do talk about Islam it usualy genreal talk,

yh, and most of the sunnis i hang around with dont even kno wat a sunni actually is or believes. I used to hae a few discssions

about shia and sunni, but after i left the imam of he local sunni mosque unable to answer my questions most of them decided not

to discuss Islam with me.

I usually get into heated discussions that can last hours with shias i meet, but usually i cant be botherd, only wen im feeling a lil

holy.

anways friends come and go, i found that since i started hangin with a shia crowd ( sometymes, coz im the youngest - there usually at uni/work, or go to private collages) i actually started to become a better person. now i usually die to link up wid the shia boiz, n try to do

so at least every fortnight.

I spend most of my time around my sunni friends, theres only 2 shias in our group, so it gets awkward at times like Ramadhan,

Eid n Muharram, but we dont really talk about sects of Islam i particular, when we do talk about Islam it usualy genreal talk,

yh, and most of the sunnis i hang around with dont even kno wat a sunni actually is or believes. I used to hae a few discssions

about shia and sunni, but after i left the imam of he local sunni mosque unable to answer my questions most of them decided not

to discuss Islam with me.

I usually get into heated discussions that can last hours with shias i meet, but usually i cant be botherd, only wen im feeling a lil

holy.

anways friends come and go, i found that since i started hangin with a shia crowd ( sometymes, coz im the youngest - there usually at uni/work, or go to private collages) i actually started to become a better person. now i usually die to link up wid the shia boiz, n try to do

so at least every fortnight.

interesting, most of my closest freinds are freinds for live, even though I ahve moved around alot

^^ most of the friends i have made, i am still in regular contact with, but because of my surroundings not all the friends i have

made are good (religiously speaking), i only recently started to try and improve my self properly, i had always been trying before that

but after taking a step foward i use to end up taking two steps backwards, i couldnt think why this was happening, than during

this Ramadhan i realised it was some of my friends stoppin me from improving. but in all other feilds (except Isam) my sunni friends

are all great, i still enjoy most of there company.

By saying 'friends come and go' i was reffering to the idiots like those whom the TO was talking about, those type of people should

not be considerd friends, there close-minded attitude leaves them to be ignorrant and the worse thing is they dont know that they r

ignorrant, and they refuse to be called ignorrant, meaning they usualy never come out of ignorrance. hope u got that, im a lil confused

myself.

My shia boiz i usually reffer to as my 'brovvas' rather than friends, now friend may come and go but brothers are for life.

;)

I had loads of sunni friends.... but since muharam dno y i jus become reli distant 4rm em... dey still keep callin me up n wantin 2 link up n stuf... dno y i jus dnt feel like mixin wid dem nemore... its never happened b4 but jus since dis yr i been thinknig dese r belivers and love sahaba yazid etc so dnt feel like being wid em... lol sounds weird i knw ?! :s but newayzzz

Edited by Sayeda_110

^ who would wanna be friends withh people who praise yazid (la) anyway..

the sunni friends i got here in England have no clue....the most they can do is recite Surah Yaasin if that...they dont know about Ali (as) and

i'll be surprised if they even know the 3.

Guest Mahreen

I do discuss things with my sunni friends, and we have debates at times but they don't know about Ayatollahs and they don't have much knowledge. Other than that, if your sunni friends are being unfair with their stupid comments, then you did the right thing. Best of Luck

Im not sayin they do praise dem etc... jus saying they remind me of yazid and im assuming dey wud love dem..however weneva we were together da matter/issue was never raised so dats y im assuming as dey never actually mentioned nefin

So far I have deleted many Sunnis off my msn because of their foul behavior and their hate of my love for ahlol bait, I say screw'em, my religion before any friendship/relationship.

^That's good coz that way your doing tabarra which is one of the furu e deen. (tabarra means to be the enemies of the enemies of the ahle bait.

Most of my friends are sunni's... its just me and this other girl are shia's.

I had this sort of problem twice in my old school... I got into a fight with some tall thin girl in my class in grade 4 and her parents called my parents up and this other time I had a fight with my teacher who said some [Edited Out] about Imam Ali (as) and my parents went to the principal (who was a sunni) and spoke to him about it and stuff.

But when they do this sort of stuff... don;t lose your cool. They best way you can make them realize that they are wrong is by your character. If they ask you anything which they are unable to answer tell them you will get back at them and ask your local maulana or start a topic on shiachat... :P

My friends pretty much co-operate with me and most of them have really less knowledge about sunniism so most of them can't really say anything so they shut up and try to avoid religious discussions.

the sunni friends that i have know absolutly nothing about their religion, so dont bother with religious discussions, but despite of their ignorance, they would still defend their religion, knowing in some cases they are wrong.

when having any discussions, try not to get impatient, though its difficult, and make them understand, u never know one day they'l convert, and thank u for it.. :P