Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ibn al-Hussain

Children Of Heaven

Rate this topic

(salam)

I'm sure some of you guys have seen this movie, or have heard about it. I found it on google video and am posting it here; it's a great movie, please watch it if you have time.

Part I: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2085360636693346701

Part II: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1568263933309969077

Edited by Ali_Imran

I saw this movie! It won best foreign film in 1998 and some other awards. It has such a simple plot line, but that's what makes it so heart warming; it's completely through the eyes of a child. I really liked it, I recommend you all to see it.

then for the fact that it made Ali Imran cry. ^_^

:dry: Okay the last part IS sad :dry:!! All the boy wanted was his sister to be happy :( :cry:!! But he couldn't :( And I want a sister too :cry: But I think it's too late :(

Edited by Ali_Imran

:dry: Okay the last part IS sad :dry:!! All the boy wanted was his sister to be happy :( :cry:!! But he couldn't :( And I want a sister too :cry: But I think it's too late :(

:cry: :cry: Awww... I haven't started watching it, and my eyes are already tearing...

Don't worry, insh'Allah all the voids in our hearts are filled somehow; if not with what we want, then with something better.

Edited by LightTheWay786

(salam)

thanks for that recommendation it was really good i sat there and watched the entire thing through and yes i do have a life its a great way to spend a bank holiday

Can anyone recommend any other films by the same director?

ws

^Yes sure. I really loved his: Color of Paradise; here is the trailer

Also Baran: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urY_1GsuRQ0 (1 of 3; you can click on 2 and 3 on the side)

This is the website for the director: http://www.cinemajidi.com/

Both are fabulous movies. I actually liked Color of Paradise and Baran better than Children of Heaven, but I guess it's a matter of personal preference. All are brilliant. What amazes me is the simplicity, yet profound depth of each movie without it having to be fast paced and action-oriented. I feel like sometimes Hollywood feeds off our ADD, lol.

Wasalaam

better than Children of Heaven

I only liked that one because it was the first Iranian movie I had ever seen heh, and the sister in the movie just touched me :(

There was this other movie I was watching on IRIB when I was in Saudi last year, about some girl who's mother died in a swimming pool at night and then how she used to be in one room at the top of the roof, and she used to go all exorist-fied at school and where ever, don't know what it was called though...

Edited by Ali_Imran

I only liked that one because it was the first Iranian movie I had ever seen heh, and the sister in the movie just touched me :(

There was this other movie I was watching on IRIB when I was in Saudi last year, about some girl who's mother died in a swimming pool at night and then how she used to be in one room at the top of the roof, and she used to go all exorist-fied at school and where ever, don't know what it was called though...

Can't say I've ever seen that one....

^Yes sure. I really loved his: Color of Paradise; here is the trailer

Also Baran: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urY_1GsuRQ0 (1 of 3; you can click on 2 and 3 on the side)

This is the website for the director: http://www.cinemajidi.com/

salaam,

thanks for that, the Colour of paradise looks like a good one to get hold of.

Baran sounds like an iranian version of mulan, but i'm sure its alot better watching real people rather than animations.

ws

I saw The Colour of Paradise. Sooooo sad :cry:

I've seen quite a few Iranian films now, because we have to watch them for my Persian class as well.

The ONLY happy Iranian film I've seen thus far is "The Tenants" ... About this really run-down apartment building in Tehran. Quite funny!!!

I finally saw Children of Heaven today... It was delightfully precious!! :wub:

The amazing thing about that is...

As I started watching it, Zahra and Ali immediately reminded me tremendously of the wonderful relationship my bro and I have... There were so many similarities, I wanted to cry.

About 30 minutes into the movie, my bro walks in, glances at my screen, and he's like: "what- you're watching it TOO?!? I was coming here to call you to watch it with me!"

So I go into his room, and he's only about 10 minutes behind me! I thought that was just the strangest thing... We both chose to watch the same movie at the same time; the movie being a story that happens to perfectly mirror our bond.

I'm sufficiently depressed now, though. He's leaving in a few months. :cry:

I have not watched it yet but I think I am getting depressed reading the posts on here :(

I guess if it is about bonding between siblings that is something I have not truely experienced in my life so far. I have one bro and one sis yet I am very distant to them for variety of reasons and in my life I have always wanted to have a younger bro or sis however that didnt happen either.

I have not watched it yet but I think I am getting depressed reading the posts on here :(

Don't worry bro... I'm pretty sure the ending is happy, even though technically it's sort of left up to your imagination... And it's not heavy on any of the elements; no violence or disturbing exposition of social ills, and mostly a carefree tone while maintaining a slightly sad realism.

I might've understood the ending differently, cuz although I was about to cry when I thought it wasn't happy, my bro pointed out from one of the details that it actually was; you just have to understand that part on your own instead of being shown it.

I guess if it is about bonding between siblings that is something I have not truely experienced in my life so far. I have one bro and one sis yet I am very distant to them for variety of reasons and in my life I have always wanted to have a younger bro or sis however that didnt happen either.

Aww I'm sorry to hear that... I'm the youngest as well as the only girl, so I grew up wishing for a little sister myself. :( Like they say, though, every void gets filled somehow, sometime, even if in ways you might not have expected and at times far from when anticipated.

Don't worry bro... I'm pretty sure the ending is happy, even though technically it's sort of left up to your imagination... And it's not heavy on any of the elements; no violence or disturbing exposition of social ills, and mostly a carefree tone while maintaining a slightly sad realism.

I might've understood the ending differently, cuz although I was about to cry when I thought it wasn't happy, my bro pointed out from one of the details that it actually was; you just have to understand that part on your own instead of being shown it.

Thanks for that. :)

Aww I'm sorry to hear that... I'm the youngest as well as the only girl, so I grew up wishing for a little sister myself. :( Like they say, though, every void gets filled somehow, sometime, even if in ways you might not have expected and at times far from when anticipated.

Inshallah lets see what life has instore :)

I saw The Colour of Paradise. Sooooo sad :cry:

I've seen quite a few Iranian films now, because we have to watch them for my Persian class as well.

The ONLY happy Iranian film I've seen thus far is "The Tenants" ... About this really run-down apartment building in Tehran. Quite funny!!!

... :( Thank You for shattering my dreams 3 years ago; on this very site, in the chat room -_-.

... :( Thank You for shattering my dreams 3 years ago; on this very site, in the chat room -_-.

I need to see a chat log... Otherwise I really can't believe I would've said such a thing to you... I know I wouldn't. :( *sigh*

^What did she say? Ali Imran will never have a sister :donno:?

So here is my image:

Ali Imran: salams

Zuljenah: ws wr wb

Ali Imran: man, im so sad today

Zuljenah: :lol: y

Ali Imran: I just saw these SAD Iranian movies, and DAYUUM I can't stop crying...

Zuljenah: awww :wub:, what movies?

Ali Imran: children of heaven and colour of paradise

Zuljenah: omg, those movies are totally awesome! And buddy it's spelled "color" not colour..

Ali Imran: who cares, I'm Canadian

Zuljenah: I care..we Americans are always right!

Ali Imran: anyway, I NEEED a sister, thas my only dream

Zuljenah: SISTER!?! :o Are you nuts? She will drive you crazy everyday of your rotton life!

Ali Imran: I don't care what she does...all I have is a lousy brother...I will do anything to have a sister..

Zuljenah: bro, it will never happen...islamically and scientifically..

Ali Imran: Are you saying my dream is impossible?

Zuljenah: Apparently..it can never happen...

Ali Imran: Oh Zuljenah, you shattered my dream :cry:

Zuljenah: soweee, but that the way it is..

Ali Imran: welll yaaa..I guess your right, what can I do..

Zuljenah: I have an idea though...buy a cat...

Ali Imran: cat..are you serious :blink:? LOL... :!!!: Why the heck would I need to buy a dumb cat for? What good will it do?

Zuljenah: well that was uncalled for..you can treat it like your behen..

Ali Imran: rite, my behen...sis, your wack.. First of all, cats are expensive..they poop everywhere, and you have to feed them so much...heck, they eat more than me..AND I EAT LOTS OF MAYONNAISE!

Zuljenah: no.. that your choice..how much u feed it, and what not...

Ali Imran: whatever, u ruined my life..

Zuljenah: well, sure but u don't have to be an @&& bout it.. sheesh

Ali Imran: yarrr, kk

Zuljenah: khuda hafiz

Guest Maram

Just watched Children of Heaven and man it reminds me of Iran SO much, godd i miss it :(

Anyway, really nice movie!

Edited by Maram

I saw it on IFC recently. That little girl Zahra was sooooooooo adorable (possibly the cutest girl I've ever seen). I couldn't stop awwwing at her. She must be a beautiful young woman now. :wub: I realized they were Shia Iranis like halfway through the film. I can't believe a movie about children losing their shoes was so good. It got a 3.5 out of 4 rating in the satellite info. And yes, I cried.

^

be grateful you don't need to share shoes with your siblings?

on a side note in the Children of heaven did anyone notice the anthem the littel girls were saying as they stood in line

We are the flowers of our country

anyone want to shed any light on its meaning/significance?

Both are fabulous movies. I actually liked Color of Paradise and Baran better than Children of Heaven, but I guess it's a matter of personal preference. All are brilliant. What amazes me is the simplicity, yet profound depth of each movie without it having to be fast paced and action-oriented. I feel like sometimes Hollywood feeds off our ADD, lol.

Wasalaam

(salam)

My husband and I rented Color of Paradise, Baran, and two Irani films called Secret Ballot and Leila in the past, despite the crazy looks and glances I received from Blockbuster employees ^_^ . Yes, I agree that the amazing simplicity and outstanding storyline of these films often reminds us of how brilliantly profound a film can be without the added extravagance and hollywood-esque glitz, glitter, and glam :)

(salam)

Lovely film, nice to watch with the family, thanks for recommending it. I wish they showed the children's faces when they received the shoes their father bought them, I got a lil mad that they didn't show that :blush:

ws

DANGGG !!!! (most heart breaking movie )

i was suppose to bee readinggggg 6 chapters of my book but instead i watched this movie and it was SOOOOOO worthh ittt

YAA i agreee they should have soo showed the parents reaction to ALi winning nad Bothh the kids faces when they get the shoes..

butt...ITS OFFFICIALLY FAVOURITE MOVIE EVERRRRRRRRRR !!!!! :wub:

thanks alot for posting it :)

Edited by never-ending-light