Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Shah Ast Hussain(as) Or Shah Hast Hussain(as)

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

From my limited Farsi, I know that åÓÊ (hast) is third person singular and it means "is."

I think "hast" would be correct, but I don't know much Farsi :(

Man Farsi kam sohbat mikonam!

• Site Administrators

inshAllah someone more knowledgeable in farsi can explain the grammar for you, or if you're really desperate, would be happy to get the dusty farsi book from my bookshelf.

ast = 'is'

hast = 'are'

from my limited understanding (perhaps someone can correct this if it's wrong), e.g. include

man khob hastam = I am fine.

to khob hasti = You are fine.

an khob ast = That is fine.

ou khob ast = He/She is fine.

muntazar ki hasti? = who are you waiting for

in machine shomast = this car is for you

ws

inshAllah someone more knowledgeable in farsi can explain the grammar for you, or if you're really desperate, would be happy to get the dusty farsi book from my bookshelf.

ast = 'is'

hast = 'are'

from my limited understanding (perhaps someone can correct this if it's wrong), e.g. include

man khob hastam = I am fine.

to khob hasti = You are fine.

an khob ast = That is fine.

ou khob ast = He/She is fine.

muntazar ki hasti? = who are you waiting for

in machine shomast = this car is for you

ws

(salam)

Yaba

Farsi is my mother tongie, and it is a shame that I don't know anything about it.

But, what little I have gleaned from my exposure to Farsi through Urdu:

ÔÇÀ ÇÓÊ ÍÓیä¡ ÈÇÏÔÇÀ ÇÓÊ ÍÓیä

Ïیä ÇÓÊ ÍÓیä¡ÏیŸ äÇå ÇÓÊ ÍÓیä

¡ÓÑÏÇÏ äå ÏÇÏ ÏÓÊ ÏÑö ÏÓÊö یÒیÏ

ÍÞÇ ˜å ÈäÇÁ áÇÇáå ÇÓÊ ÍÓیä

Thje above is the most common way this famous quatrain by MUeenuddeen Chishti Ajmeri is written in Pakistan.

I will attempt explain why.

In Urdu poetry, as well as in Farsi poetry, the poet has a tad of licence to modify the sound of some word that is interfering with the metrical assonance of his line. It is calle reayet-e-lafzi. ÑÚÇÆیÊö áÝÙی

In the above quatrain, the word Shah ends with a À and the immeiately succeeding word, hast again begins with a À this would interfere with the metrical scheme a cause a mild "sakteh"

Hast also means IS, as in that famous line s S'aadis Golestan, "Hast Quran dar zabaan-e-Pehlavi" Also look Bu Ali Shah's qsideh in which he says

Haidery'am, qalandaram, mastam

Mann bandah-e-murtaza Ali hastam

Mann is used for the first person singular.

Ask Cary Grant to help

Blessed be

Edited by Rawshni
  • Advanced Member

Salam alaikum,

Both "ast" and "hast" mean "is". The difference between the two is that 'hast' also means "are". So grammatically it would depend on which word makes better sense.

ast = is

hast = is or are, : it means something that exists, 'is' presently, sort of like a present indication.

In this situation 'ast' is correct. Hussain shah ast or shah ast Hussain. Because you want to say Hussain is king. It wont make sense saying Hussain are king.

wa salam.

• Advanced Member

The difference is that 'Ast is used with classic works like poetry for instance in Sa'adi's Boostan or Golestan

and Hast is something you use when speaking to someone (a form of slang but nonetheless gramatically correct)

both are correct.

Edited by Rubaiyat
  • Advanced Member
(salam)

Which is correct

Shah AST Hussain(as)

or

Shah HAST Hussain(as)

Does both have same meaning?

Which is more appropriate gramatically?

salaam sis,

in my oppinion :angel: shah ast is more appropriate gramatically, and by saying it.

khoda afiz khwaarak,

~*sakina*~

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member
salam

man kollan ba kalameye shah mokhalefam,hala mikhad ast bashe ya hast!

amam,mola... kheli behtare.

agar husain ghiyam kard be khater hamin hokumate saltanati bood ke dar dastgahe moavie va yazid vared shode bood va miraft ta joz'i az eslam shavad....

i agree

no need to call him Shah...hussein was against shahdom

• Veteran Member
(salam)

Yaba

Farsi is my mother tongie, and it is a shame that I don't know anything about it.

But, what little I have gleaned from my exposure to Farsi through Urdu:

ÔÇÀ ÇÓÊ ÍÓیä¡ ÈÇÏÔÇÀ ÇÓÊ ÍÓیä

Ïیä ÇÓÊ ÍÓیä¡ÏیŸ äÇå ÇÓÊ ÍÓیä

¡ÓÑÏÇÏ äå ÏÇÏ ÏÓÊ ÏÑö ÏÓÊö یÒیÏ

ÍÞÇ ˜å ÈäÇÁ áÇÇáå ÇÓÊ ÍÓیä

Thje above is the most common way this famous quatrain by MUeenuddeen Chishti Ajmeri is written in Pakistan.

I will attempt explain why.

In Urdu poetry, as well as in Farsi poetry, the poet has a tad of licence to modify the sound of some word that is interfering with the metrical assonance of his line. It is calle reayet-e-lafzi. ÑÚÇÆیÊö áÝÙی

In the above quatrain, the word Shah ends with a À and the immeiately succeeding word, hast again begins with a À this would interfere with the metrical scheme a cause a mild "sakteh"

Hast also means IS, as in that famous line s S'aadis Golestan, "Hast Quran dar zabaan-e-Pehlavi" Also look Bu Ali Shah's qsideh in which he says

Haidery'am, qalandaram, mastam

Mann bandah-e-murtaza Ali hastam

Mann is used for the first person singular.

Ask Cary Grant to help

Blessed be

While this is true for Bu Ali's qaseedeh, it's not the case with either 'ast' or 'hast' in Chisti's rubaa'ii. Using 'hast' instead of 'ast' before 'Hussain' causes a 'sakteh' but doesn't harm the metre since 'ast' and 'hast' both weigh 'faa-l' or digitally, 2-1.

• Veteran Member
In this situation 'ast' is correct. Hussain shah ast or shah ast Hussain. Because you want to say Hussain is king. It wont make sense saying Hussain are king.

In Farsi as well as in Urdu, plural is used for a single person as a sign of respect or reverence. eg.; 'shoma' is plural you, (like Urdu's 'aap') and is used for a single person. Same is the case with other like words. i.e.; 'oonahaaN' meaning 'they'. So whether 'ast' or 'hast', Hussain IS king. Poor limited English!

Edited by Jibran Haider
In Farsi as well as in Urdu, plural is used for a single person as a sign of respect or reverence. eg.; 'shoma' is plural you, (like Urdu's 'aap') and is used for a single person. Same is the case with other like words. i.e.; 'oonahaaN' meaning 'they'. So whether 'ast' or 'hast', Hussain IS king. Poor limited English!

(salam)

Ziyadeh parhrhay likhay aadmee

If "hast" does cause sakteh as I have said, it interferes with the flow. If it does, I am right, though you might be too, on another plane. I already said I don't know anything about Farsi.

By the way, English also has the use of the plural for the singular as mark of reverence or station.

And English is no way a limited language.

Edited by Rawshni
  • Veteran Member
(salam)

Ziyadeh parhrhay likhay aadmee

If "hast" does cause sakteh as I have said, it interferes with the flow. If it does, I am right, though you might be too, on another plane. I already said I don't know anything about Farsi.

Ziyadah parhay likhay admiyon kee dadee jaan,

'Hast' interferes and does so only and only with the flow of this particular line. This interference has no relation to, and so does not harm, the specific metre which Chisti employs in his rubaa'ii. A line of/or a poem may be limper and at the same time, metrically correct. (ever heard of a Lucknawi ghazal in 'sangalaakh zameen'?) Being metrically sound is one criterion, the issue of flow is another which stretches forth to fasaahat and balaaghat.

You say you Farsi 'na baladeed' as if I 'bisyaar baladam'? Waisay bhee, the point we are discussing has more to do with bahoor wa auzaan, taqtee' wa zahaafaat. mittee pao jee niraa khapaara ay. :wacko:

By the way, English also has the use of the plural for the singular as mark of reverence or station.

And English is no way a limited language.

Obviously it is not. I was just being sarcastic and tell you what, I love English more than any other language to be honest.

Edited by Jibran Haider
  • 6 months later...