Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ka3wila_omar

Syed And Non Syed Marriage

Rate this topic

(salam)

hows it goin brothers and sisters ?

Can a syed marry a woman from a non syed family ? Is it halal or haram as iv heard that it is haram.

Please enlight me.

shokran wassalaam.

There is no possible way that this can be haram. Whomever told you that had no idea what they were talking about.

Guest Power Of 786
(salam)

Can a syed marry a woman from a non syed family ? Is it halal or haram as iv heard that it is haram.

Please enlight me.

shokran wassalaam.

(salam)

Ofcoz its allowed.

According to Ayatullah Sistani, its allowed!

I dont find any reason to call it haram!!

All are muslims of Allah so why not ..

Q: Is it permissible for a male Sayyed (a descendant of Prophet Mohammad (p.)) to marry a woman that is not a descendant of Prophet Mohammad (p.)? 2/11/2006 12:01:35 PM

A: It is permissible for the Hachimate man/woman to marry a non-Hachimate woman/man, and there is no problem in the Sharia concerning this issue.

[Answered by Sayed Fadhlallah]

Marriage and Personal Relationships / Conditions of Marriage and Matrimonial Rights

Guest SayedM'sSister

Salam

Oranje there is only i believe one marja in the entire shia world that states sayed/non sayed marriage is haram. Most people haven't even heard of him so many would prefer your personal beliefs not be preached in a law thread.

Sayed Sistani:

Question: Can a Sayyid girl marry a non-Sayyid man?

Answer: It is permissible and there is no objection to it.

Source: http://www.sistani.org/local.php?modules=n...=530&page=2

Sayed Khamenei:

To Marry a Sayyidah Girl

Q: Is it permissible for a non-sayyid boy to marry a sayyidah girl?

A: It is permissible.

Source: http://www.leader.ir/langs/EN/index.php#

Sayed Rohani:

Question: Is it possible for an esna ashari girl (who is from one of Mohammedan sect '[Edited Out]te' believing in the 12 imams) marrying a Muslim boy?

Answer: Yes, There is no restriction.

Question: I am syed in shia but my family does not allow me to get marry in other sect, specially sunni, wahabi, ahl hadees etc my parents are right? or not? s

Answer: The marriage between Sunni , Wahabi , Ahle hadees (Men of Hadith)and Shia people is correct and permissible.

Source: http://emamrohani.net/home/frame.php?body=...bid=1&set=2

There ya have it.

To OP sunni/shia marriage is 100% permissable :)

Wasalam.

According to majority of Mujtahideen/Maraje, may Allah(s.w.t) preserve the presence of these pious personalities amongst us until the arriving of Imam-e-Zamana(a.t.f), there is no objection and it is allowed.

As a sayed, I believe in this that there is no objection. However, if you want to marry your daughter into non-sayed it is upto you and although the Mujtahideen/Maraje have said that it is allowed they have have not given the fatwa (verdict) that you should and therefore it is entirely upto you. Personally, I would not marry my daughter to a non-sayed when she reaches that age in her life. Therefore please brothers and sisters look at this issue reasonably and open mindedly and do not quarrel about a matter which is virtually non existent.

This issue is mainly used by those people who do not believe in the authority of the Mujtahideen and Maraje as a sort of proof by which to denounce these noble personalities.

salam

every one in islam is equal no preferences except by piousness and deeds

Allah (S.W.T.) says in surat Al-Hujurat, (verse 13), what be translated as, "O Mankind! We have created you from a male and female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honorable of you in the sight of Allah is he who has most taqwa among of you. Verily, Allah is All-Knowing, All-Aware."

Equality of men

We know that for the establishment of equilibrium it is necessary that every thing should be in its place. As all men are basically equal, Islam does not admit that any individual has any special position. All men have been born of one ancestor and have a common nature. The difference in rights on the basis of race, class, tribal attach�ments etc., which existed among certain nations, is totally denied by Islam. Islam declared its view on this subject at a time when social groupings, discrimination in position, difference in rights were considered to be natural and rational in the biggest civilized and eminent countries of the day. Islam does not believe that any particular group or class has been born for subjection and any other group for mastership. No group has been born dirty nor any other group for executive and administrative jobs. No group has come into existence to have the status of the beasts while others enjoy human dignity, as was the religious, legal and social position under the out‑dated systems of yore.

Islam officially proclaimed that:

� "All men are equal like the teeth of a comb".

� "You are descendants of Adam and Adam was made of clay".

"This nation o f yours is one nation and I am your Lord. Therefore worship Ale". (Surah al‑Anbiya 21:92).

from - http://al-islam.org/philosophyofislam/

oranje can you ask your marja' about the following quranic aya

The only marriages that are prohibited are those that are mentioned in the Qur'an in Surat an-Nisa': 23, and Allah says in the following verse,

Prohibited to you (For marriage) are:- Your mothers, daughters, sisters; father's sisters, Mother's sisters; brother's daughters, sister's daughters; foster-mothers (Who gave you suck), foster-sisters; your wives' mothers; your step-daughters under your guardianship, born of your wives to whom ye have gone in,- no prohibition if ye have not gone in;- (Those who have been) wives of your sons proceeding from your loins; and two sisters in wedlock at one and the same time, except for what is past; for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful;-

24 Also (prohibited are) women already married, except those whom your right hands possess: Thus hath Allah ordained (Prohibitions) against you: Except for these, all others are lawful, provided ye seek (them in marriage) with gifts from your property,- desiring chastity, not lust, seeing that ye derive benefit from them, give them their dowers (at least) as prescribed; but if, after a dower is prescribed, agree Mutually (to vary it), there is no blame on you, and Allah is All-knowing, All-wise.

if quran says its halal who is in a position to defy the quran ?

Edited by Yousif

(salam)

There is nothing haraam about non sayyids marrying sayyids. The only difference is that if the mother is 3lawiya/sayyida and the father is not sayyid, then the child is not allowed to have the title sayyid as it passes from the father. Vice versa if only the father is sayyid then the child is also sayyid. children from 3lawiya/sayyida mothers and non sayyid parents may claim descent but not the title.

(salam)

Edited by Al-Zaidi

(salam)

Please enlight me.

shokran wassalaam.

(salam)

It is the marriage of Syed daughters with non-Syed sons which remains in dispute and is believed to be batil, haram or na-jaez by various Ehl-ul-Sunnah and Ehl-ul-Tashi scholars.

While discussing such topics, involving Sadaat, we should keep in mind that it is not just another fiqhi issue. Infact, when and wherever is the hurmat of Sadaat our topic of discussion, it is a matter of a Momin's aqeeda. Like Sheikh Suduq used to refer to the position of Sadaat in shia Islam as a matter of aqeeda. And it is important that Momineen understand their aqaed in the light of the teachings of Quran and Ehl-ul-Bait. So I believe that when we question our Mujtahideen, regarding marriage between syeds (females) and non-syeds(males), we should also request for references and reasoning behind their decision.

For example, If the basis of the ruling, that syeds are allowed to marry non-Syeds, is the belief that everyone is equal before Allah, then did Allah discriminate against non-syeds when He made sadqa haram on Sadaat (but not rest of the ummah) because it was the dirt of hands ? Why is it that the rest of ummah takes 'dirt of hand' while the Syeds don't ? Such high preference given to Sadaat in our aqeedah; is there a wisdom & purpose behind this decision of Allah which may have been veiled by the enemies of Ehl-ul-Bait during the course of history and which we are unaware of ? Do the Sadaat inherit a special Maqam like did their ancestors ? Any reference ? What is the reasoning ? Did our Imams allow marriage between Syeds daughters & Non-Syeds sons themselves ? If yes/No, any reference ? Did the daughter's of our Imams marry Non Syeds ? If yes/No, any reference ? Did their daughters believed that they can marry non-Syeds ? Any reference ? Did they believe otherwise ? Any reference? And most importantly, what is the main factor, in Ehl-ul-Bait's Islam, which determine's the legality of marriage between couples ? Any reference ?

Fi-Amanillah

According to majority of Mujtahideen/Maraje, may Allah(s.w.t) preserve the presence of these pious personalities amongst us until the arriving of Imam-e-Zamana(a.t.f), there is no objection and it is allowed.

As a sayed, I believe in this that there is no objection. However, if you want to marry your daughter into non-sayed it is upto you and although the Mujtahideen/Maraje have said that it is allowed they have have not given the fatwa (verdict) that you should and therefore it is entirely upto you. Personally, I would not marry my daughter to a non-sayed when she reaches that age in her life. Therefore please brothers and sisters look at this issue reasonably and open mindedly and do not quarrel about a matter which is virtually non existent.

This issue is mainly used by those people who do not believe in the authority of the Mujtahideen and Maraje as a sort of proof by which to denounce these noble personalities.

put those restrictions on ur sons too

What if a non-syed married to a syed woman has to solely live on zakat and sadqa? Would it make the sadaqa and zakat halal on that syed woman then?

put those restrictions on ur sons too

Assalam u ALaikum

A husband is a Hakim of his wife. When a non-syed son marries a syed daughter, he is then a claimant of being a hakim of a syedzaadi. However, this fazeelat has not been given to ummah. Rather it is only given to Sadaaat. They are Misl e Quran. Their Ehtaram is wajib. The parawi of the Saleh among them is wajib. On the contrary, the ummah cannot lead or become hakim of Ehl-e-Muhammad. Even the Maraj unaas among ummah cannot walk in front of a Syed, out of respect.

But such is not the case with Syed sons marrying non-syed daughters because the hakim continues to remain hakim.

Fi-Amanillah

syed brothers and sisters sometimes scholars encourage our women to marry within the syeds but never refer to marrying outside as Haram. Such encouragement has no relation to Quran or Sunnah from my understanding. If im wrong in making this assumption and there is hadith or Qurani sources which present such encouragment could you please explain indetail and provide sources.

Its difficult to examine our culture sometimes, some laws are culturally restrictive and become extremely effective in our upbringing persuading us to keep up with them. In my family alone looking at 3 to 4 generations of relations, as far as i can remember no one syed Female has married outside the syed barrier. Though my immediate family has never branded it haram, its almost a huge deal in our families just to want to marry outside as if it were impermissable by sin. We were lucky that there were always more males then females in our families, cos is opposite, it wouldnt make sense and the Mercy of God allowing outside marriages would have been even more evident. I know its cultural persuasion only and not religious....but I wonder if the brothers and sisters here can provide proofs of encourgement of such limitation. I understand the one about the syed girl marrying a non syed and the child losing his title as a syed but proofs from hadith or Imams traditions would be appreciated!

Edited by wazz

(salam)

Can someone clarify for me who is considered 'syed'? Is specifically a title held for those descendant of one of the 12 imams, or is it someone from any relation to the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) like cousins and nephews of Imam Ali (as) ?

Was the husband of Zainab bint Ali, may Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala be pleased with her, considered to be a syed, although he was reportedly a nephew of Imam Ali (as)?

ya ali madad (as) brothers it is haram to marry a syedzadi only men can marry a non syed girl but the women cant marry it is haram for them if u want proof go to molaali.network on your top right hand side it will say Mini Scroll Links fatwa it will tell u from quran verses and hadith i know haram is a strong word but im syed my slef i've done my search so u brother and sisters do yours coz its becomeing a fasion for the ppl

ya ali madad (as) brothers it is haram to marry a syedzadi only men can marry a non syed girl but the women cant marry it is haram for them if u want proof go to molaali.network on your top right hand side it will say Mini Scroll Links fatwa it will tell u from quran verses and hadith i know haram is a strong word but im syed my slef i've done my search so u brother and sisters do yours coz its becomeing a fasion for the ppl

(salam)

DO NOT BRING ILLEGITIMATE REMARKS TO THIS SITE

An 3lawiya (Sayyida) can marry any MUSLIM. However she may not marry a non-Muslim man. She can Marry a Muslim Sayyid or Non-Sayyid.

WWW.SISTANI.ORG

13 Question: Can a Sayyid girl marry a non-Sayyid man?

Answer: It is permissible and there is no objection to it.

(salam)

Can someone clarify for me who is considered 'syed'? Is specifically a title held for those descendant of one of the 12 imams, or is it someone from any relation to the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) like cousins and nephews of Imam Ali (as) ?

Was the husband of Zainab bint Ali, may Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala be pleased with her, considered to be a syed, although he was reportedly a nephew of Imam Ali (as)?

Sayyid (?? (plural Saadah) is an honorific title often given to males accepted as descendants of the Islamic prophet Muhammad through his grandsons, Hassan and Husayn, who were the sons of his daughter Fatima Zahra and his cousin and son-in-law Ali ibn Abi Talib.

Daughters of male sayyids are given the titles Sayyida, Alawiyah, Syarifah or Sharifah. Children of sayyidas are not considered sayyids. Sayyids must be able to demonstrate descent through males alone, without female links.

Indication of descent

Sayyids often include the following titles in their names to indicate the figure from whom they trace their descent. If they are descended from more than one notable ancestor or Shi'a imam, they will use the title of the ancestor from whom they are most directly descended.

Hasan ibn Ali: al-Hashimi or al-Hassani al-Hashimi or al-Hassani Hashemi, Hassani, or Tabatabai ??

Husayn ibn Ali: al-Hussaini al-Hussaini1 Hosseini ??

Ali ibn Husayn Zayn al Abidin: al-Abidi al-Abidi Abedi ???Zayd ibn Ali ash-Shahid: az-Zaidi al-Zaidi Zaidi ??

Muhammad al-Baqir: al-Baqiri al-Baqiri Baqeri ???Jafar as-Sadiq: al-Ja'fari al-Ja'fari Jafari or Jafri ???Musa al-Kazim: al-Mousawi al-Mousawi Mousavi or Kazemi ??/ ???Ali ar-Rida: ar-Ridawi al-Ridawi or al-Radawi Rezavi or Rizvi or Rizavi ??

Muhammad at-Taqi: at-Taqawi al-Taqawi Taqavi ??

Ali al-Hadi: an-Naqawi al-Naqawi Naqavi ??

(salam)

Edited by Al-Zaidi

(salam)

the sayyed idea is against islam and directly contradicts the quraan and was not brought up by islam but made up by people.

the true sayyed is not by blood line but by his action

the sayyed idea is exactly the same as the idea of the chosen people in judaism where the libites get zakaat from the other 11 tribes just for being libites

(salam)

i know many so called sayeds who are drunbkards and fornicators.

many so called sayyds are christians

there is no clear defenition of this so called sayyd any way, they say anyone who is a direct decendent of the prophet from the males only and that means no one because fatima was a female and only through her the prophet had a generation.

i chalenge any one to show me one mention of this concept in the quraan.

the sunnies say the decendents of hashim which means the king of jordon as well.

and so on

Edited by alimohamad40

there is no clear defenition of this so called sayyd any way, they say anyone who is a direct decendent of the prophet from the males only and that means no one because fatima was a female and only through her the prophet had a generation.

Wow! Never thought I'd hear this from a SHIA lol. You live. You learn.

Actually in the Prophet's case, his generation is from his daughter.

This has been discussed before.

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?sh...amp;hl=peshawar

The Imams (as) themselves have asserted time and again that they are from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) through Syeda Zahra (sa).

It really amazes me as to what lengths people will go to, to deride Syeds.

(salam)

Sometimes, it's funny how the shia ummah gives so much importance to Khaak e Karbala because of it's nisbat to Imam Hussain, although, the blood of Kufaar was also spilt on the same Khaak. How interesting, they used it as sajda gaah.

But when it comes to the descendants, directly related to the Imam(s), all of a sudden, there is a shift in views, and the focus in always on the gunahgaar among the sadaat.

Ayatullah Syed Muhammad Sherazi once said, "do the Sadaaat not have atleast a nisbat, to Imam Hussain, equal to that of Khaak e Karbala, if not more ? "

(salam)

the sayyed idea is against islam and directly contradicts the quraan and was not brought up by islam but made up by people.

SubhanAllah !!!

While discussing such topics, involving Sadaat, we should keep in mind that it is not just another fiqhi issue. Infact, when and wherever is the hurmat of Sadaat our topic of discussion, it is a matter of a Momin's aqeeda.

Respect for sadaat is an issue of aqeedah, but permissibility of marriage is completely a fiqhi issue.

For example, If the basis of the ruling, that syeds are allowed to marry non-Syeds, is the belief that everyone is equal before Allah

That is NOT the basis of this permissibility. The basis of permissibility is that this act should not be haram. Since there is NO indication that syeda marrying a syed is haram (in fact, our Prophet (pbuh&hp) himself married a syeda to a non-syed), this act becomes permissible.

In other words, permissibility does not require a reason. Impermissibility does.

Did our Imams allow marriage between Syeds daughters & Non-Syeds sons themselves ? If yes/No, any reference ?

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) did. Read up the commentary of verse 33:36. The prophet himself got his cousin Zaynab bint Jahsh married to a non-hashmi male.

read this post for more details:

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1093795

A husband is a Hakim of his wife. When a non-syed son marries a syed daughter, he is then a claimant of being a hakim of a syedzaadi. However, this fazeelat has not been given to ummah.

Yes, it has. Just like the imam of a jama'at can be a non-syed, while those following him may be syeds. There is no restriction against the hakim of a syed being a non-syed.

Rather it is only given to Sadaaat. They are Misl e Quran. Their Ehtaram is wajib. The parawi of the Saleh among them is wajib. On the contrary, the ummah cannot lead or become hakim of Ehl-e-Muhammad.

I don't know who fed you such unislamic ideas, but I suggest that if you really respect sadaat, then you follow the teachings of the Ahlulbayt. The Ahlulbayt did not discriminate between sadaat and ghayr sadaat, and allowed the marriage of syed females with ghary syed males. So you should agree with their stance as well.

Sometimes, it's funny how the shia ummah gives so much importance to Khaak e Karbala because of it's nisbat to Imam Hussain, although, the blood of Kufaar was also spilt on the same Khaak. How interesting, they used it as sajda gaah.

But when it comes to the descendants, directly related to the Imam(s), all of a sudden, there is a shift in views, and the focus in always on the gunahgaar among the sadaat.

There is a shift in view when it comes to the sadaat because keeping the same view for them as with khaak-e-karbala is qiyas, and thus it would be sheer ignorance to do so.

Do you not know that khaak is intrinsically pure (tahir/paak), but blood is a najisul-ayn? Even the blood of sadaat. If you are trying to attribute intrinsic purity to sadaat like that which is attributed to khaak, then why don't you ask the female sadaat to not wash themselves after menstruation? Or try praying with the blood of sadaat on your clothes?

Even if you touch a dead syed (who hasn't died as a shaheed), ghusl becomes WAJIB on you. If syeds were paak like khaak-e-karbala, then why would you have to do ghusl after touching a dead syed. But a shaheed is paak, regardless of whether he is sadaat or ghayr sadaat. And this is why khaak-e-karbala is valued so highly. It is because it has the paak blood of shaheeds! Not because it has the blood of sadaat.

So I again suggest that you do not do qiyaas in matters of Islam, and that you obtain Islamic knowledge from credible sources before preaching it to others.

Assalam u ALaikum

A husband is a Hakim of his wife. When a non-syed son marries a syed daughter, he is then a claimant of being a hakim of a syedzaadi. However, this fazeelat has not been given to ummah. Rather it is only given to Sadaaat. They are Misl e Quran. Their Ehtaram is wajib. The parawi of the Saleh among them is wajib. On the contrary, the ummah cannot lead or become hakim of Ehl-e-Muhammad. Even the Maraj unaas among ummah cannot walk in front of a Syed, out of respect.

But such is not the case with Syed sons marrying non-syed daughters because the hakim continues to remain hakim.

Fi-Amanillah

what i meant was that.....there are more syed gals then boys....if syed boys marry who they wish ....then they cant expect a syed boy to fulfil their sisters 'haqq'....u cant take a syedzaadis 'haqq' away from her and then expect someone to fulfil ur sisters 'haqq'....thats munafaqat....

its VERY UNFAIR ON SYED GALS.....anyways its only PUNJABIS that are fussed about syed thing....mjtahids have allowed it.....

Respect for sadaat is an issue of aqeedah, but permissibility of marriage is completely a fiqhi issue.

That is NOT the basis of this permissibility. The basis of permissibility is that this act should not be haram. Since there is NO indication that syeda marrying a syed is haram (in fact, our Prophet (pbuh&hp) himself married a syeda to a non-syed), this act becomes permissible.

In other words, permissibility does not require a reason. Impermissibility does.

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) did. Read up the commentary of verse 33:36. The prophet himself got his cousin Zaynab bint Jahsh married to a non-hashmi male.

read this post for more details:

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1093795

Yes, it has. Just like the imam of a jama'at can be a non-syed, while those following him may be syeds. There is no restriction against the hakim of a syed being a non-syed.

I don't know who fed you such unislamic ideas, but I suggest that if you really respect sadaat, then you follow the teachings of the Ahlulbayt. The Ahlulbayt did not discriminate between sadaat and ghayr sadaat, and allowed the marriage of syed females with ghary syed males. So you should agree with their stance as well.

There is a shift in view when it comes to the sadaat because keeping the same view for them as with khaak-e-karbala is qiyas, and thus it would be sheer ignorance to do so.

Do you not know that khaak is intrinsically pure (tahir/paak), but blood is a najisul-ayn? Even the blood of sadaat. If you are trying to attribute intrinsic purity to sadaat like that which is attributed to khaak, then why don't you ask the female sadaat to not wash themselves after menstruation? Or try praying with the blood of sadaat on your clothes?

Even if you touch a dead syed (who hasn't died as a shaheed), ghusl becomes WAJIB on you. If syeds were paak like khaak-e-karbala, then why would you have to do ghusl after touching a dead syed. But a shaheed is paak, regardless of whether he is sadaat or ghayr sadaat. And this is why khaak-e-karbala is valued so highly. It is because it has the paak blood of shaheeds! Not because it has the blood of sadaat.

So I again suggest that you do not do qiyaas in matters of Islam, and that you obtain Islamic knowledge from credible sources before preaching it to others.

well argued