Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Do Khojas Marry Syeds

• Advanced Member

(salam)

i jus wanna know if khoojas marry syeds.........i had been living in dubai for a long time and going to satwa imam bargah .......but i never pondered on this that if khojas from india pakistan or tanzania do marry outside their community......i met a family here in pakistan they are punjabis and a girl i knew from dubai who is a khoja is getting married in their family so i was kinda confused .....i thot there might be a cultural clash......anywayz no idea.......i know lots of khojas in dubai but never asked such thing or thot of it........i used to live with most of them near the sana building irani building

• Advanced Member

well ummmmm.............. please i jus wanna know what are the community traditions......

my topic is not whether who can marry whom.......

cultural clashes have been core reasons for divorce...........and u cant simply say this that particularly MUSLIM UMMAH should avoid cultures............everyone has a right to chose............i dont understand why everyone on this forum becomes head of islam passing judgements and not even showing a trace of doubt in their stupid firm beliefs............. u cant simply impose ur thots so please if anyone could tell me rather than commenting on what islam has to say and what ppl has to say

• Advanced Member

My mamu,a khoja ,married a sayed,and Mashallah they are happily married with 3 kids.

Marriage involves commitment, sacrifices and appeasement to certain issues - I personally dont think its a big deal whether khojas marry sayeds or not. Nor is it a big deal if a khoja marries a convert, an irani, a lebanese...etc

Totally agree with you sis!!

• Advanced Member
well ummmmm.............. please i jus wanna know what are the community traditions......

my topic is not whether who can marry whom.......

cultural clashes have been core reasons for divorce...........and u cant simply say this that particularly MUSLIM UMMAH should avoid cultures............everyone has a right to chose............i dont understand why everyone on this forum becomes head of islam passing judgements and not even showing a trace of doubt in their stupid firm beliefs............. u cant simply impose ur thots so please if anyone could tell me rather than commenting on what islam has to say and what ppl has to say

habibti :lol:

You are not understanding my point. And what you have written is indeed very sad. So you dont want me to impose my thoughts? Well I'm not demanding anyone to agree with me, I'm just stating my opinion - no one has to agree with me if they dont want too - so you have nothing to worry about my dear :) Im not going to verbally beat a person if they dont agree with me - unfortunately its just a fact of life that some people disagree with others :P

...and so tell me, if you dont want to know what Islam has to say, and you dont want to know what people have to say....then who do you want to hear from?

I still dont see what the concern is really. Being from the bloodline of the prophet and his family is cool - but it doesnt make 'you' as the sayed any cooler than the rest of us normal ones ;)

It would be the same as asking if Chinese shias would be willing to marry desis - which is actually a more intriguing question hehe

• Advanced Member

sorry but my concern was jus to know ............... nothing much and i guess i couldnt express my thots well............sorry if it did hurt u i was jus trying to say that i felt u were alil too rigid in ur comments ..neva mind thanx

• Advanced Member

A cultural clash between a desi syed and a desi khoja just isn't huge. I wouldn't even term it a cultural clash. As a khoja, I go to niyazes and majlises that syeds have at their houses. I interact with syed aunties and khoja aunties the same way.

Now maybe if it was a desi Syed marrying an Irani Syed, then there would be a cultural class. Even the language issue in the case of a desi khoja marrying a desi syed is not huge because most desis know Urdu/Hindi. My parents are both khoja but my mom grew up speaking Hindi and my dad's family speaks gujrati. However, their common ground is Urdu/Hindi.

In response to the topic, khojas can marry syeds. I know a syed girl who is married to a khoja guy. A syed maulyani in our community has a khoja husband.

• Advanced Member

yep. khojas do marry sayeds ,in the same way as lebs marry iraqis,iranis marry indians, pakis marry. . pakis etc etc. nuttin to do with religion ,'it's just that community clashes take place. thats all!

Edited by syko mod
  • 9 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Syeds can marry khojas or any other non syeds, it is just a shame that they can not then have syed children especially if a girl marries a non syed, still I as a syed would prefer my daughter to marry a practicing momin who makes her happy then a syed who is not a practicing momin and doesn't make her happy.

Son or daughter I would rather they did not marry at all if they could not find a practicing momin from what ever backround.

Marriages require such a fine balance to succeed that if I could I would like my kids to marry where the prospect of conflict would be as small as possible, similar cultures, income levels and anything else, but even that doesn't guarantee success.

Unfortunately a happy couple can still have their marriage ruined if not destroyed by interfering relatives or unsupportive relatives or relatives who can inflame a situation rather than attempting to find common ground to ease problems.

I don't know what to do about that!!!!

• Forum Administrators
Why can't a Khoja be a Syed?

Khojas are people from India who converted from Hinduism many years ago, AFAIK many came via Ismaili Islam.

I have a Syed male cousin who married a Khoja girl. No probs Islam-wise she was a hijabista before marriage.

But kids don't speak Urdu. And Khoja cooking is nothing to write home about either (compared to UP/India). Bit like marrying an Iranian really.

• Advanced Member
(salam)

i jus wanna know if khoojas marry syeds.........i had been living in dubai for a long time and going to satwa imam bargah .......but i never pondered on this that if khojas from india pakistan or tanzania do marry outside their community......i met a family here in pakistan they are punjabis and a girl i knew from dubai who is a khoja is getting married in their family so i was kinda confused .....i thot there might be a cultural clash......anywayz no idea.......i know lots of khojas in dubai but never asked such thing or thot of it........i used to live with most of them near the sana building irani building

there are different khojas isna ashri khojas ,ismaili khojas and sunni khojas. if someone is isna ashri (12 imami) khoja, there is no problem at all.. the only thing u have to consider is that he/she should be a momin, i mean a shia muslim

• 2 years later...
  • Basic Members

ok so i'm a syed girl background pakistani (never really lived there) but yea and want to marry a khoja whose background is pakistani as well.. whose a SHIA

is there any islamic problem with that? he's shia im shia .. difference is syed and khoja . is that allowed? is there something wrong with a syed girl to marry nonsyed shia ?

thanks =)

• Veteran Member

(salam)

Nope, there's no such thing.

Eltemase Doa.

Really? No sayed married a khoja, then his son married a khola and so on, it would only take a couple of generations. I've heard about sayeds from sudan.

Quite strange, but I guess it's true that in pakistan, sayed's very rarely allow their children to marry non sayeds, if the same applies to khojas, then I guess it's possible

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Basic Members

salam

obviously there is no islamic law baring a syed to marry a khoja or a non syed .... its just that the cultures are different .... i am a khoja and wanted to marry a syed girl but my parents didint allow me .... even though Allah in quran has sanctioned marriage with "the people of the book" or "ahle kitab" .... my dear parents thought otherwise .... wow tough situation for a guy whether to listen to Allah or be obedient to his parents !