Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Names Like Abdul-husain?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I do (or am willing to do) whatever Hussain (as) tells me to do and thus am his servant because whatever Hussain (as) tells me to do is what is right and what Allah (swt) wants for us. By being Abdul-Hussain, one is inevitably being Abdullah.

wasalaam

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Although as Shia we know what these names mean and that by calling eachother Abdul-Hussein etc., we are not exactly ascribing partners to Allah (s.w.t), I am against calling such names to people because I think it undermines the main concept in Islam- Tawhid- to the non-Shia and it maintains the stereotypes people have towards the Shia.

Wasalam.

• Advanced Member

the holy quran will answer your question

æóÃóäßöÍõæÇ ÇáúÃóíóÇãóì ãöäßõãú æóÇáÕøóÇáöÍöíäó ãöäú ÚöÈóÇÏößõãú æóÅöãóÇÆößõãú Åöä íóßõæäõæÇ ÝõÞóÑóÇÁ íõÛúäöåöãõ Çááøóåõ ãöä ÝóÖúáöåö æóÇááøóåõ æóÇÓöÚñ Úóáöíãñ

Translation

And marry those among you who are single (i.e. a man who has no wife and the woman who has no husband) and (also marry) the Sâlihûn (pious, fit and capable ones) of your (male) slaves and maid-servants (female slaves). If they be poor, Allâh will enrich them out of His Bounty. And Allâh is All-Sufficient for His creatures' needs, All-Knowing (about the state of the people).

if it was not ok why would it be mentioned and used in Holy Quran ?

there is different usages for the word ( Abdu ) in the Arabic language

it is like other words such as ( Rab )

you say Alla Rabbi and you say Also in Arabic ( Anna Rabb Al-dar ) I am the owner of the house

if I have time I could explain it further

my regds,

:)

• Advanced Member

Salaam Alaykum

I would suggest against it...

Contrary to popular belief, Abd does NOT be "slave", but it means "worshipper". "Slave" is the result of an accepted corruption of the true meaning of "Abd". The word "Ibdah", or "worship" as its roots from the word "abd". Therefore, saying something like the name you suggested would be saying "Worshipper of Imam Hussein (as)" which is clear shirk.

• Advanced Member
Salaam Alaykum

Contrary to popular belief, Abd does NOT be "slave", but it means "worshipper". "Slave" is the result of an accepted corruption of the true meaning of "Abd". The word "Ibdah", or "worship" as its roots from the word "abd". Therefore, saying something like the name you suggested would be saying "Worshipper of Imam Hussein (as)" which is clear shirk.

!!!

come on my friend

it was used by Holy Quran to refer to this meaning ( slave )

according to ur claim: we learned shirk from Quran !!

here is one more question :

what is the meaning of ( Abdul-Mutaleb ) ?!

Why would not Rasool Allah change his grandfather's name ?! or you will tell me that prophet's parents and his family were Mushrkeen !!

æóÃóäßöÍõæÇ ÇáúÃóíóÇãóì ãöäßõãú æóÇáÕøóÇáöÍöíäó ãöäú ÚöÈóÇÏößõãú æóÅöãóÇÆößõãú Åöä íóßõæäõæÇ ÝõÞóÑóÇÁ íõÛúäöåöãõ Çááøóåõ ãöä ÝóÖúáöåö æóÇááøóåõ æóÇÓöÚñ Úóáöíãñ

• Advanced Member

it is simply

two meanings

real slavery to Allah swt

but Majaz meaning when added to prophet's name

the problem is this : most of people here know nothing about ( majaz ) meanings in Arabic language.

the Holy Quran is full of this

unfortenetly, wahabi beleives desceive gullible minds !

• Advanced Member
Salaam Alaykum

Salam Brother. :)

Who told you that it means only worshipper?? So what is the arabic word of servant and slave?? This is plane and simple arabic word and Allah Himself mentioned this word not only for Allah-mankind relation but also man to man relation. Then who are we to alter it?!!

Brother, its another kind of sunni interpretation!! We, the converted ones, need to cleanse them all!! Me too had needed years to rinse them out!! InshaAllah Allah will Guide us to the right thing always!

What you said is just a WAHABI kind of interpretation! They do a lot massacre to the simple and clear Islam!! Every thing goes to shirk.. whether or not Allah says it to be shirk!! :angry: @ them!!

All shias are the servants, abd of Muhammad wa Ale Muhammad (s). No difference among all kind of shias about this. No difference among scholars regarding this issue. :)

Okay let me explain it in another way.

Surah#39 Ayat#53:

Qul : Ya 3ibadiyallazina asrafu 3ala anfusihim.....

Say : "O My servants who have wronged yourselves, despair not of the Mercy of Allah; verilly Allah forgiveth all the sins; verily He is the Forgiving, the Merciful."

Allah says to the Prophet (s) to say, "O My servants... "!!

The translation is clear, grammar rules are clear, the way of addressing is clear here, in this ayat!!

Got it now bro? :)

If someone wants to be a true shia then he is bound to belief that he is a servant of Muhammad wa Ale Muhammad (s)! Allah Himself wishes the Prophet to address to us like "O My servants"... that's enough for a believer!!

Please for us and me, please!

Fee Amanillah.

Edited by shukranlillah
  • Advanced Member
(salam)

Although as Shia we know what these names mean and that by calling eachother Abdul-Hussein etc., we are not exactly ascribing partners to Allah (s.w.t), I am against calling such names to people because I think it undermines the main concept in Islam- Tawhid- to the non-Shia and it maintains the stereotypes people have towards the Shia.

Wasalam.

(salam)

I just wanted to mention a few points. Regarding the stereotypes people have towards the Shia, there is no need for us to hide our beliefs or practice our religion to the liking of people simply because we are going to be accused us of shirk or whatever they decide to accuse us of. Our duty is to worship Allah (swt) the way He has asked us to worship Him, if a Sunni/Wahhabi is going to call us a moshrek for doing tawassul or praying on a turbah, then let him. Bottom line is, who cares what ignorant people think, it is what Allah (swt) thinks that matters.

Regarding the names Abdullah or Abdul-Hussain, these do not undermine the concept of tawheed in no way whatsoever. I have noticed some people have said that 3abd does not mean slave and only means worshipper. If we only look at certain parts of the Quran and ignore the rest, then yes, they are correct. But let's look at one of the other meanings of 3abd, according to the Quran.

In Surah an-Nahl, Ayah number 16, Allah (swt) says, "ÖóÑóÈó Çááøåõ ãóËóáÇð ÚóÈúÏðÇ ãøóãúáõæßðÇ áÇøó íóÞúÏöÑõ Úóáóì ÔóíúÁò æóãóä ÑøóÒóÞúäóÇåõ ãöäøóÇ ÑöÒúÞðÇ ÍóÓóäðÇ Ýóåõæó íõäÝöÞõ ãöäúåõ ÓöÑøðÇ æóÌóåúÑðÇ åóáú "íóÓúÊóæõæäó ÇáúÍóãúÏõ áöáøåö Èóáú ÃóßúËóÑõåõãú áÇó íóÚúáóãõæäó Ç " - "Allah sets forth a parable: (consider) a slave, the property of another, (who) has no power over anything, and one whom We have granted from Ourselves a goodly sustenance so he spends from it secretly and openly; are the two alike? (All) praise is due to Allah! Nay, most of them do not know."

Also in Surah Noor, Ayah 32, He (swt) says, "æóÃóäßöÍõæÇ ÇáúÃóíóÇãóì ãöäßõãú æóÇáÕøóÇáöÍöíäó ãöäú ÚöÈóÇÏößõãú æóÅöãóÇÆößõãú Åöä íóßõæäõæÇ ÝõÞóÑóÇÁ íõÛúäöåöãõ Çááøóåõ ãöä ÝóÖúáöåö æóÇááøóåõ æóÇÓöÚñ Úóáöíãñ " - "And marry those among you who are single and those who are fit among your male slaves and your female slaves; if they are needy, Allah will make them free from want out of His grace; and Allah is Ample-giving, Knowing."

There are many more examples but there's no need to list them all. We can clearly see that the word '3abd' is not limited to worshipping Allah (swt) or being His worshipper. As we all know, slaves were common in the early days of Islam and these slaves were referred to as '3abd'. We know that our Imams had slaves, isn't a name such as Abdul-Hassan or Abdul-Hussein a suitable name of a slave of the Imams (as). These slaves voluntarily became the slaves of our blessed Imams (as) so it is in fact an honourable and prestigious position to be their 3abd and it certainly has no relation to shirk. Our complete obedience to the Imams (as) is essential to maintaining tawheed for without their guidance, we would have no idea what tawheed even is! (Like our fellow Saudis)

Hope that makes sense.

Wassalam

Sajjad

• Veteran Member

Just wanted to metion that the mentor of Muhammad Jawad Mughniyyah who wrote the

Al-Fiqh Alaa Madhahib Al khamsa was called Abd al-Husain Sharaf ad-Din , who was recognized as the highest Shii jurist in Lebanon.

Sayyed Abd al-Husain Sharaf ad-Din was also the one who corresponded with the

Al-Azhar scholar to produce the Al-Murajaat a famous debate between A shia and Sunni Scholar.

Edited by Islamic Salvation
  • Advanced Member
Assalamu Alaikum,

I sometimes see people with the name Abdul Husain.

I have always thought this was haram and we can only be AbdAllah, or any of Allah's attributes.

Please clarify this for me since its very confusing.

Wasalaam

Bro, there is no restraction of using this type of names. muslim can have names these names without any worries. if any name does not mean something bad, you are ok to have it.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

~Sajjad~- I do not believe that calling such names as Abdul-Hussein etc., is haram, however I do believe that if the Shia do have such names as these, it does undermine the concept of Tawhid to the non-Shia, in regards to the Shia (even though this is not necessarily the case). Although these names might not be wrong to have, if we want to bring the non-Shia to the Shia faith, we should do as much as we can to eliminate stereotypes. Praying on a turba is necessary (and if you explain why we use the turbah to the non-shia, they will say to you it makes sense), however having such names is not necessary and does cause confusion and maintains stereotypes about the Shia faith. If there are Shia who are having trouble understanding this concept, what about the non-Shia?

Wasalam.

Edited by Muwahida
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

Sorry didn't notice the non-shia part. Considering that it still shouldn't make a difference on our actions or Islamic practices. You can look at it from another angle, if non-shias notice these 'contraversial' issues such as the names, turbah or tawassul, they will become interested and desire to see what the Shia madhhab is about and request an explanation. This is something positive for us as long as we understand what we are doing ourselves and can rationally explain why we do such things. For example if a person asks someone why they are called Abdul-Hussain, it will open a whole discussion about Ahlulbayt and give them an understanding of their position and status (this is considering that the person beings asked can give a proper answer of course).

Like you said, they have stereotypes, meaning, the problem is with them and not us (possibly because of us. lol). Like you said again, we should work to eliminate these false stereotypes through firstly increasing our own knowledge and then having the ability to rationally defend ourselves. :) I dont think the issue of such names is really that confusing, it just requires a simple explanation.

Wassalam

• 7 years later...
  • Advanced Member

This sounds like shirk to me. We follow Imams but we serve Allah. The submission must be to Allah and the name suggest otherwise.

We must not take our Imams for gods the.way the Christians did/do with Jesus(as). There are better ways to show love for our Blessed Imams

• Advanced Member

there are to types. 

type one: names like rahman etc without abdul. 

so instead of abudurrahman they would be called only rahman 

type two is like abdul husain. so instead of beeing an abdul (worshipper slave dont know) of Allah you are abdul of aimma.

many people have that names in shia islam and it would be good to have references from the sunnah because a lot of things we make are only traditions mixed with islam and thats very dangerous

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I do (or am willing to do) whatever Hussain (as) tells me to do and thus am his servant because whatever Hussain (as) tells me to do is what is right and what Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì wants for us. By being Abdul-Hussain, one is inevitably being Abdullah.

wasalaam

Well said.