Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Father/mother Of Believers

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I was thinking.. if Prophet(saww)'s wives are mother of believers.. why isn't the Prophet(saww) himself the 'Father of believers'?.. I heard once by a sunni bro that the title 'mother of believers' was given to indicate that the personality bearing this title deserves obligatory respect.. so why was the Prophet(saww) devoid of such respect?.. wassalaamun alaikum

• Advanced Member
salam

summarizing it is that , no one can marry the prophets wives after Him ...

for more detail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-3xvJYcyms

if it was literally as some claim , then we would be able to marry sayedas as they would be our sisters...

Oh yea.. I knew that Yousif.. I was posing this question to sunnis on the board :D.. wassalaamun alaikum

• Advanced Member

Statue of Mother in Islam is very important.Our mothers deserve our respect so in this way the wivs or Rasullah P.B.U.H are our sympolic mothers which means we cannot marry them and they deserve our respect.

A man asked the Prophet (pbuh), "Who is most worthy of my love and respect?" The Prophet (PBUH)replied, "Your mother." The man asked, "And then who?" The Prophet (pbuh) again answered, "Your mother." The man asked one more time and received the same answer. When the man asked the question a fourth time, the Prophet (pbuh) answered, "Your father."

Wives of Rasullah s.a.w are mothers of believers so the believers should respect them and not marry them.

• Advanced Member
Wives of Rasullah s.a.w are mothers of believers so the believers should respect them and not marry them.

(salam)

It's easy to respect someone who is pious and worthy of such distinction (i.e, Umm Salama).

But how do you respect someone who the Prophet(saw) himself said "The horn of Shaytan will be born from her house", "Whoever who fights the Imam of time die the death of ignorant"

And which Allah swt says "Do not go out and parade yourself like the Jahiliat", "There is double punishment for the wife who disobey", and the ayat where Allah swt admonished and said "the two wife with the better one among the virgin and married woman".

Edited by Zareen
  • Advanced Member
Statue of Mother in Islam is very important.Our mothers deserve our respect so in this way the wivs or Rasullah P.B.U.H are our sympolic mothers which means we cannot marry them and they deserve our respect.

A man asked the Prophet (pbuh), "Who is most worthy of my love and respect?" The Prophet (PBUH)replied, "Your mother." The man asked, "And then who?" The Prophet (pbuh) again answered, "Your mother." The man asked one more time and received the same answer. When the man asked the question a fourth time, the Prophet (pbuh) answered, "Your father."

So why isn't the Prophet(saww) called the "Father of the believers"?.. Does he not deserve respect as well?.. wassalaamun alaikum

• Advanced Member
So why isn't the Prophet(saww) called the "Father of the believers"?.. Does he not deserve respect as well?.. wassalaamun alaikum

He is our Master (saw). We were created because of him (saw)!

Our mothers, our fathers, our children, and our souls would all be sacrificed not only for Him (saw) but for his (saw) slave and his slaves slave and so on...

There is no disrespect at all.

Wassalaam wr wb

(salam)

It's easy to respect someone who is pious and worthy of such distinction (i.e, Umm Salama).

But how do you respect someone who the Prophet(saw) himself said "The horn of Shaytan will be born from her house", "Whoever who fights the Imam of time die the death of ignorant"

And which Allah swt says "Do not go out and parade yourself like the Jahiliat", "There is double punishment for the wife who disobey", and the ayat where Allah swt admonished and said "the two wife with the better one among the virgin and married woman".

I dont how you think, for Allah seek she is the wife of the prophet and no matter if all what you accuse her are true (which I am sure are fabricated) because she is the wife of our prophet Mohammed PBUH. one more thing you should look at your actions before talking about any of the prophet PBUH wifes because no matter what you do you will never reach the level of their Islam all of them. So you should talk good about them or not talk at all before Allah SWT punish in this life. The wifes of the prophet are dead and its for Allah SWT and only Allah SWT to judge them.

• Advanced Member
He is our Master (saw). We were created because of him (saw)!

Our mothers, our fathers, our children, and our souls would all be sacrificed not only for Him (saw) but for his (saw) slave and his slaves slave and so on...

There is no disrespect at all.

Wassalaam wr wb

Ofcourse Aashiq.. I agree with that.. but if you give the title of a 'mother' to someone.. not metaphorically... but rather without choice.. then respect is compulsory.. and by not calling the Prophet(saww) 'Father of the believers'.. he is not getting similar respect.. moreover.. there is a chance that he could be disrespected by a muslim and this muslim can escape punishment... wassalaamun alaikum

Ofcourse Aashiq.. I agree with that.. but if you give the title of a 'mother' to someone.. not metaphorically... but rather without choice.. then respect is compulsory.. and by not calling the Prophet(saww) 'Father of the believers'.. he is not getting similar respect.. moreover.. there is a chance that he could be disrespected by a muslim and this muslim can escape punishment... wassalaamun alaikum

What is better than the best and purest human have and will ever be created and the last prophet sent be Allah SWT to humans. Just be open and explain your main purpose of this debate. There is no question about how all muslims respect and love the prophet Mohammed PBUH and will do anything for anybody who may disrespect him in any way and I think Muslims all over the world have prooved their love and respect for the Prophet Mohammed PBUH.

Allah SWT says:

[Yusufali 2:18] Deaf, dumb, and blind, they will not return (to the path).

• Advanced Member
What is better than the best and purest human have and will ever be created and the last prophet sent be Allah SWT to humans. Just be open and explain your main purpose of this debate. There is no question about how all muslims respect and love the prophet Mohammed PBUH and will do anything for anybody who may disrespect him in any way and I think Muslims all over the world have prooved their love and respect for the Prophet Mohammed PBUH.

Allah SWT says:

[Yusufali 2:18] Deaf, dumb, and blind, they will not return (to the path).

My point.. my little brother.. is that if respect was what this title of 'mother of believers' indicated.. then the Prophet(saww) would have gotten a similar title.. but he didn't.. even though he deserves the greatest respect :D.. therefore.. the title.. 'mother of believers'.. doesn't mean compulsory respect.. it means something else :D.. wassalaamun alaikum

salam

summarizing it is that , no one can marry the prophets wives after Him ...

for more detail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-3xvJYcyms

if it was literally as some claim , then we would be able to marry sayedas as they would be our sisters...

(salam)

I have heard Nakshawani's lecture (and others!), and very often he misinterpret the Koran and it is obvious he does not have the right Sharia and Fiq'h knowledge to indulge in some topics.

To say that the title "Mothers of the Believers" is meant to ban Muslims from marrying the wives of the Prophet (as) after him is senseless and VERY VERY SIMPLISTIC!

If something is of paramount importance and very serious, Allah (swt) never leaves it unexplained or open to disagreement and endless debates. He (swt) would make it explicit and clear crystal!

The ban of marrying the wives of the Prophet (as) after him by anyone else has been EXPLICITLY revealed and stated in very clear term in a seperate verse:

[33.53] O you who believe! do not enter the houses of the Prophet unless permission is given to you for a meal, not waiting for its cooking being finished-- but when you are invited, enter, and when you have taken the food, then disperse-- not seeking to listen to talk; surely this gives the Prophet trouble, but he forbears from you, and Allah does not forbear from the truth And when you ask of them any goods, ask of them from behind a curtain; this is purer for your hearts and (for) their hearts; and it does not behove you that you should give trouble to the Apostle of Allah, nor that you should marry his wives after him ever; surely this is grievous in the sight of Allah.

THEREFORE, the title of the Mother of the Believers is meant to serve MORE that the simple purpose of not marrying them ever. The title is very important and significant.

When we say someone is the Father of Hypocrites, what do we mean? We mean he is top (best) of the Munafiqeen. We mean none of the Munafiqs can exceed his Nifaq qualities.

When we say someone is the Father of Criminals, what do we mean? We mean he is top (best) of all criminals. We mean none of the criminals can exceed his criminal qualities.

When we say someone is the Father of Scholars, what do we mean? We mean he is top (best) of all scholars (in his field). We mean none of the scholars can exceed his scholarly qualities.

LIKEWISE, the title Mothers of The Believers, means that these Ladies, the wives of our beloved Prophet (as), are top (best) of the believers.... and this, DESPITE any shortcomings that one may attribute to them. (we do not claim 3iss'ma for them!)

The title is not just about respect, but it is a title of superiority over the believers in terms of their faith and belief.

These Ladies have had an hononour that other Ladies did not have: they lived in Bayt Annubuwwa (the household of Prophethood). They had the distinguished previledge to have served the Prophet (as) and shared parts of the lives with him (as). They have seen parts and parts of the life of the Prophet (as) that none has seen! Only for this, Allah (swt) bestowed on them this title. Allah (swt) does not bestow titles on people just for the sake of it, if that title does not actually bear a certain deeper meaning.

A word of advice: watch your tongues.... your scholars will not save you, whoever they are!

• Advanced Member
I have heard Nakshawani's lecture (and others!), and very often he misinterpret the Koran and it is obvious he does not have the right Sharia and Fiq'h knowledge to indulge in some topics.

To say that the title "Mothers of the Believers" is meant to ban Muslims from marrying the wives of the Prophet as.gif after him is senseless and VERY VERY SIMPLISTIC!

Omar you gotta be honest and say that Nakshawani is more knowledgeable then any poster you might have encountered online.

Now as far as the interpretation is concerned you need to look at Ibn Kathir translation. He also says it is not literal but translated to love and respect, Which is a given since you are the wife of the Prophet (Saww).

Now you need to ask yourself who the Shias have a problem with and why.

• Advanced Member
I dont how you think, for Allah seek she is the wife of the prophet and no matter if all what you accuse her are true (which I am sure are fabricated) because she is the wife of our prophet Mohammed PBUH. one more thing you should look at your actions before talking about any of the prophet PBUH wifes because no matter what you do you will never reach the level of their Islam all of them. So you should talk good about them or not talk at all before Allah SWT punish in this life. The wifes of the prophet are dead and its for Allah SWT and only Allah SWT to judge them.

level of their Islam?

If that level involved raging a war against Ameer Ul Momineen and plotting against the Ahlulbayt then seriously i have no desire for this level of Islam.

P.S: You sig is quite funny. The man talks about how people run from death yet was amongst the fastest runner in battles himself

• Advanced Member

Salam Alaikum

To say that because all the wives are the "mothers of believers" it means they are superior, is itself very simplistic.

There have been kafir mothers of momin sons, and momin mothers of kafir sons.

Being a mother in sense of the word does not mean "superior". It denotes a certain responsibility.

When they do good deeds, they receive double reward, because they are upholding their responsibility in being the wife of the Prophet .

When they do bad deeds, they receive double punishment, because they are failing to upholding their responsibility and are a stain on the Prophet .

If our real mothers, Allah forbid, commit evil deeds, we will not ignore it simply because they are our mothers and they have fed us and clothed us and raised us.

One of the main deeds of a mother which has obligated us to respect them, is that they bore us for nine months, enduring many hardships. For most mothers these hardships continue after we were born.

The wives of the Prophet had not endured such hardships for us. All that happened was that the nikah was recited and they were suddenly "mothers". However they are given the responsibility to be our mothers and care for us.

If such a "mother" is one of the instigators of the first civil wars of the Ummah, and the cause of the deaths of so many of her "children", then that "mother" has failed miserably. Our respect for her has become severely limited to say the least.

If a mother kills her children, do you think any surviving children will continue to love her and respect her? If you are human you will agree that those children will want nothing to do with that mother, they will do tabarra from her, and will never again know her as a mother. They will also not forget it.

The very fact that she was supposed to be our mother is the reason why we do so much tabarra from her.

This is the real meaning in the real world of what the mother is.

Wassalam

• Advanced Member
Zareen that is your problem,really.

The true hadith[not shia hadith]helped me to find solution for my problems.

Khadijah r.a ,Aisha r.a,Umm Salamah deserve all my respect.

Salaam Alaykum

Zareen was talking about Aisha. Most of the other wives we very pious people. Also, you outright avoided the question, leading me to believe that you have no answer and thus, Zareen was right.

• Advanced Member
one more thing you should look at your actions before talking about any of the prophet PBUH wifes because no matter what you do you will never reach the level of their Islam all of them

Bro, have you caused fitnah at a massive scale? No?

Then you are better than Umm-ul-Momineen Aishah.

• Advanced Member

Zulfigar: leading me to believe that you have no answer and thus, Zareen was right.

It doesnt suprise me at all why you said this.

You and Zareen share the same Ideology concering Aisha bint Abi Bakr r.a .

And again,yes Zareen got problem with Aisha r.a .

I have no problem with Aisha r.a even though the Kharijis started the war between her and Ali,even though she and some other wives of prophet Muhammad pbuh made a plan against the prophet Muhammad pbuh(the story of Honey),even though Aisha r.a was sometimes jealous over Khadija r.a but this jealousy desapeared later.

She deserve my respect because Allah swt called her: Mother of Believers.Because the prophet did not divorce her.Because the prophet pbuh loved this virgin.Because she remembered many hadith of prophet Muhammad pbuh.

Ofcourse,i respect and love Aisha r.a .

Edited by Sunni_Muslim4life
  • Advanced Member

Qur'an calls ALL the wives (at that time) of the Prophet (pbuh) "mothers of believers", Aisha is not specially elevated above the other wives (some much more pious than she) by this term. Prophet (pbuh) didn't divorce ANY of his wives, but MOST didn't have to be given the choice to choose him or their own plots and desires, that was Aisha and Hafsa's "honor". As for her jealousy for Bibi Khadija (as), did it disappear when the Prophet (pbuh) died? that's not ridding herself of the jealousy, but rather having the source (Prophet's (pbuh) evident love for Khadija (as) and her family shown through his continued favor toward them) removed.

Prophet (pbuh) married for many reasons, of his wives after Khadija (as) love was not necessarily the reason, and there is no proof that he married Aisha for love (in fact, the lecture from 2nd October here http://www.dartabligh.org/books/audio/Ramadhan06.asp analyzes the mothers of believers, including the reasons behind the Prophet's (pbuh) reasons for marrying them).

What does her being a virgin have to do with ANYTHING? Prophet (pbuh) married more widows and divorced women than he did virgins, so obviously virginity is not a merit unto itself that makes one worthy (Bibi Khadija (as) had been married before, possibly even had children with her previous husbands. her lack of being a virgin when she married Prophet (pbuh) didn't stop her from being the BEST and MOST LOVED wife of the Prophet (pbuh) from amongst ALL his wives).

Other wives narrated hadith too (many without the problems and controversy created by the ones narrated by Aisha especially ones that contradict others narrated by more reliable sources). Umm Salama (ra) springs to mind. I wish I could find the article I'd found previously about the hadiths narrated by Umm Salama and the ones narrated by Aisha, it was really enlightening. Insha'Allah I will find it and post it again.

• Advanced Member

If a mother kills her children, do you think any surviving children will continue to love her and respect her? If you are human you will agree that those children will want nothing to do with that mother, they will do tabarra from her, and will never again know her as a mother. They will also not forget it.

The very fact that she was supposed to be our mother is the reason why we do so much tabarra from her.

This is the real meaning in the real world of what the mother is.

Wassalam

BANG ON.. nicely put Abbas.. honestly.. it must boil the blood of those muslim families who lost loved ones in the battle of Jamal

If something is of paramount importance and very serious, Allah (swt) never leaves it unexplained or open to disagreement and endless debates. He (swt) would make it explicit and clear crystal!

True.. like instead of saying 'mother of believers' to indicate respect.. there should be something like...

YUSUFALI: O ye of Faith! Say not (to the Messenger) words of ambiguous import, but words of respect; and hearken (to him): To those without Faith is a grievous punishment.

.. something like that... but for the wives.. but.. THERE ISN'T ANYTHING LIKE THIS FOR THE WIVES :S... wassalaamun alaikum

• Advanced Member
Qur'an calls ALL the wives (at that time) of the Prophet (pbuh) "mothers of believers", Aisha is not specially elevated above the other wives (some much more pious than she) by this term. Prophet (pbuh) didn't divorce ANY of his wives, but MOST didn't have to be given the choice to choose him or their own plots and desires, that was Aisha and Hafsa's "honor". As for her jealousy for Bibi Khadija (as), did it disappear when the Prophet (pbuh) died? that's not ridding herself of the jealousy, but rather having the source (Prophet's (pbuh) evident love for Khadija (as) and her family shown through his continued favor toward them) removed.

Prophet (pbuh) married for many reasons, of his wives after Khadija (as) love was not necessarily the reason, and there is no proof that he married Aisha for love (in fact, the lecture from 2nd October here http://www.dartabligh.org/books/audio/Ramadhan06.asp analyzes the mothers of believers, including the reasons behind the Prophet's (pbuh) reasons for marrying them).

What does her being a virgin have to do with ANYTHING? Prophet (pbuh) married more widows and divorced women than he did virgins, so obviously virginity is not a merit unto itself that makes one worthy (Bibi Khadija (as) had been married before, possibly even had children with her previous husbands. her lack of being a virgin when she married Prophet (pbuh) didn't stop her from being the BEST and MOST LOVED wife of the Prophet (pbuh) from amongst ALL his wives).

Other wives narrated hadith too (many without the problems and controversy created by the ones narrated by Aisha especially ones that contradict others narrated by more reliable sources). Umm Salama (ra) springs to mind. I wish I could find the article I'd found previously about the hadiths narrated by Umm Salama and the ones narrated by Aisha, it was really enlightening. Insha'Allah I will find it and post it again.

If you believe Aisha r.a was fasiq,munafiq and a woman like Hint.Why did the prophet pbuh married her?It shows that prophet pbuh loved her otherwise he would have divorced her,dont you think?This is only matter of logic thinking,not religion.If you dont like your wife anymore you divorce her in good manner.

Al-Bukhari and Muslim also collected it from Ibn `Abbas, who said, "For a whole year, I was eager to ask `Umar bin Al-Khattab about an Ayah. However, I hesitated out of respect for him. Once, he went on a Hajj trip and I accompanied him. On our way back, he stopped to relieve himself behind some trees of Arak. I stopped until he finished and then walked along with him and asked him, `O Leader of the believers! Who are the two women who helped each other (or plotted) against the Prophet ''' This is the narration that Al-Bukhari collected, while Muslim recorded that Ibn `Abbas asked, "Who are the two women about whom Allah the Exalted said,

(but if you help one another against him, )'' `Umar replied, "A'ishah and Hafsah.'' Muslim mentioned the rest of the Hadith. Muslim also recorded that Ibn `Abbas said that `Umar bin Al-Khattab said to him, "When Allah's Messenger stayed away from his wives, I entered the Masjid and found people striking the ground with pebbles. They said, `Allah's Messenger has divorced his wives.' That occurred before Hijab was commanded. I said to myself, `I must investigate this news today.''' So he mentioned the Hadith in which he went to `A'ishah and Hafsah and admonished them. He then said, `I went in and found Rabah, the servant of Allah's Messenger , sitting on a window sill. I called, `O Rabah, seek permission for me from Allah's Messenger.''' He then mentioned the story as we mentioned above. `Umar continued, "I said, `O Messenger of Allah, what trouble do you feel from your wives If you have divorced them, verily Allah is with you, His angels, Jibril, Mikal, I, Abu Bakr and the rest of believers are with you.' Often, when I talked, all praise is due to Allah, I hoped that Allah would testify to the words that I uttered.

These words of Umar ibn khattab r.a: ''O Messenger of Allah, what trouble do you feel from your wives If you have divorced them, verily Allah is with you, His angels, Jibril, Mikal, I, Abu Bakr and the rest of believers are with you'' are mentioned in Quran kareem and Allah SWT testifies that Umar r.a was right.

The point is: Prophet Muhammed pbuh did not divorce his wives such as Hafsa and Aisha (May Allah be pleased with them)so thus they deserve my respect as ''Mothers of Believers''.

My last post concering this!

• Advanced Member

many of the Prophet's (pbuh) marriages were political, not love matches. He didn't divorce those women, so your logic doesn't hold.

Also, prophets (as) married women who turned out to be bad. It's not a reflection on the prophets (as), and in fact works against the wives, as they have NO EXCUSE for their bad behaviour, as they were closest to the right guidance.

Now, you ask why Prophet (pbuh) married Aisha, and didn't divorce her if he knew what her behaviour would be.... easy, did you ever know Prophet (pbuh) (or Allah (SWT)) to punish someone for acts they have not committed yet?

• Veteran Member

This is an example of how the Sunnis have twisted hadiths to serve their own purposes. In this hadith the Prophet (pbuh) is clearly stressing the importance of giving respect and honoring the mother who bore you. He is speaking of your mother and how important she should be to you for all that she has done to bring you into the world. He is not speaking metaphorically of his wives.

Although, some of his pious wives are definitely worth of our respect by all means. I don't feel that the respect applies to all his wives (Ayesha)

• Moderators
This is an example of how the Sunnis have twisted hadiths to serve their own purposes. In this hadith the Prophet (pbuh) is clearly stressing the importance of giving respect and honoring the mother who bore you. He is speaking of your mother and how important she should be to you for all that she has done to bring you into the world. He is not speaking metaphorically of his wives.

Although, some of his pious wives are definitely worth of our respect by all means. I don't feel that the respect applies to all his wives (Ayesha)

We must understand that we are living in a world where there are forces of Kufr that are very, very actively trying to create fitna and chaos between Sunni and Shia in order to weaken the Ummah. I think that some of our Shia br and sis should consider that before they say anything or post anything. I am not mentioning anyone specifically, and there are many on this board who go way out of their way to avoid creating fitna.

I don't really understand the objection of our Sunni brothers and sisters. I haven't seen anyone here cursing Ayesha, such as putting (la) after her name like we do with Muawiya(la,la,la) and Yazid(la,la,la) the cursed ones. She was a wife of Rasoulallah (pbuh) and we know this, none of us are ignorant of that fact. We are simply pointing out her ACTIONS. That is different from cursing someone. We are not doing it to injure her reputation or attack her personally, we are simply showing a chain of cause and effect which eventually led to the corruption and then destruction of the Ummah, as it was during the time of Rasoulallah (pbuh) . The was the time of unity and cooperation amoung ALL muslims which created the miracle of Islam spreading to every corner of the world.

We all wish to get back to the times in Medina during the lifetime of the Prophet (pbuh) , in spirit and in essence. The problem is that, in the current age, the Ummah is moving toward destruction and fitna and also to unity almost simultaneously. If we don't know the mistakes of the past, how can we avoid them in the future so that we can create this reality of 'Ummaten Wahidaten'

which we all desire?