In the Name of God بسم الله

Frito Lays Haram

Rate this topic

Ibn al-Hussain

• Veteran Member

Just got this:

I have just received an email confirming and verifying that all products containing cheese from Frito Lay are haraam as they consist of pork or beef

and will no longer give a list of their non-animal products. Thus, chips from Doritos, cheetos, and all other Frito Lays are harram that have cheese in them.

In the email it has been informed that Frito Lay now has changed supplier and therefore cannot guarantee and has advised to especially avoid any products that contain cheese.

without arguing over the authenticity of the information in the message above, i'm forwarding it to all of you.

- fi Amanillah

iltimas-e-dua

What's Frito Lays? Isn't it just Lays :huh:?

Edited by Ali_Imran

• Advanced Member

FritoLays is the company that makes the chips. On the back of their products it should say frito lay or lays. It's not just the ones that have Lays on the front.

Anyway, Muslims shouldn't be buying from them as they give huge amounts to Israeli.

Boycott Zionism :)

• Advanced Member
Anyway, Muslims shouldn't be buying from them as they give huge amounts to Israeli.

do you have any source for this?

and i wouldn't worry about some random e-mail. you can always call or e-mail the company and confirm whether animal ingredients are included or not.

Edited by fyst

• Advanced Member
There was one website, but I couldn't find the info there anymore. Granted, this was like three or more years ago.... I did a quick google though and found this (not that strong, but still).

http://jccmaccabigames.org/index.php?optio...&Itemid=274

frito-lays is owned by Pepsi, and, as opposed to coca cola, i have not yet come across information linking pepsi to support for zionism.

• Veteran Member

^

http://www.al-islam.org/organizations/aali...k/msg00003.html

QUESTION:

Salamun Alaikom;

As long as I know there is a Fatwa from Imam Khomeini regarding rennet.

I would like to know the answer from Ay. Khoei and Ay. Seestani:

Rennet is produced from something from a sheep after it is killed.

and is used for making cheese.

My question is about when the animal is not killed in Islamic way? (Zibh)

Regards,

ANSWER:

Salaamun `alaykum.

You have asked about rennet derived from the animal which was not killed

in Islamic way (zabiha). I had written an article in 1989 and will just

summarize the relevant parts in answer to your question:

Rennet or renin is tahir (pak) and halal even if it is obtained from the

stomach of an animal which has not been slaughtered Islamically.

An animal not slaughtered Islamically is known as maytah. Maytah is one of

the `ayn najis (inherently unclean) things, so how can rennet extracted

from a maytah be considered tahir? It is true that maytah is considered

`ayn najis, but our mujtahids unanimously have declared that certain parts

of the maytah are exempted from the najasat and are to be considered

tahir. One of such parts of a maytah is rennet, known in Arabic as anfaha

or minfaha. (See al-Khu'i, Minhaju 's-Salihiyn, vol. 1, p. 109; masala No.

393 in the chap. on taharat. This is also in the new edition of

as-Sistani. For the view of other mujtahids of our time, see Sayyid Kazim

al-Yazdi at-Tabatabai, al-`Urwatu 'l-Wuthqa, p. 20-21.)

Not only is the anfaha considered tahir, it is also considered halal. (See

Minhaj, vol. 2, p. 336; masalah No. 1691 in the chap. on food and drink.)

This is not a new fatwa or a new mas`alah; our Imams (a.s.) have given

clear guidance on this issue in quite a few ahadith. I will just quote

some parts of a conversation between Qatadah and Imam Muhammad al-Baqir

(a.s.).

Qatadah: Tell me (the law) about cheese.

Imam (a.s.): There is no problem in it.

Qatadah: But sometimes the anfaha (rennet) from a maytah is put into it.

Imam (a.s.): Still there is no problem in it because there are no veins in

it nor any blood or bones; it comes out from between the intenstine and

the blood vessels. The case of anfaha is similar to that of an egg which

comes out of a dead chicken. Would you eat that egg? Qatadah: No; nor

would I tell others to eat it.

Imam (a.s.) And why is that?

Qatadah: Because the egg is from a maytah.

Imam (a.s.): But if you hatch that same egg and a chicken comes out of it,

would you eat it?

Qatadah: Yes.

Imam (a.s.): "Now, what has made the egg haram for you but made the chicken

halal for you?! Similarly, the anfaha is like the egg [from the maytah but

halal]..." (Wasa'ilu 'sh-Shi`ah, vol. 16, p. 364)

Yours in Islam,

Sayyid M. Rizvi

• 1 month later...
  • Veteran Member
salam all,

i was forwarded this email about doritos and cheetos, and i didn't want to pass it on until i confirmed it with the company. so i called the number provided at the end of this email and asked for myself. the lady didn't tell me straight out that it has pork. She said that she was not allowed to give out that kinda information...i guess its a new tactic for them because they probably know that the word got out.

anyways, she told me that i shouldn't eat any of their cheese products because they will have animal byproducts...so basically without coming out and telling me straight out, she told me that all frito lays products with cheese have pork or other animal by products.

i recommend u all to call the number too and find out for urselfs. personally i'm gonna boycott all their products because they know very well that some people don't eat pork and other animal by products, yet they put these in their products and hide it from us...

wassalam,

haji baqir

Subject: Doritos/Cheetos are NOT HALAL

salaam, please read below.

Dear Friends:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this weekend my little niece, Haniya, told me that her friends had called Frito-Lay and found out that Doritos have pork in them. Well, I was shocked and a little skeptical. However, when I called the company, they confirmed that their cheese

products were not halal -- they actually used the term "halal", which I found impressive even though the disclosure was disconcerting. She said they use enzymes in making the cheese for their cheetos and doritos that come from pork. I asked when they started doing this, and she said the last 2 years they became aware of it. I wanted to start a petition requesting them to find alternatives, but she said it would be best for individuals to call, because each call is registered. So, if you are going to miss cheetos and doritos as much as I am, please call Frito-Lay at 1-800-352-4477, Monday - Friday, 9:00am-4:30pm. Also, pass on this info. to whomever you know.

--Huda

• Advanced Member

Salaam Alaykum

I can't believe Muslims still believe this one.

No company donates funds; everybody is greedy. Yes, Frito Lay operates in Israel, so what? This lie about them donating 90% (or whatever [Edited Out] is spreading around now) is the result of some angry people who noticed that so-and-so operated in Israel, and then they made up the lie about people donating to Israel.

Even IF they support Israel's occupation of Palestine, that doesn't mean that they actually donate funds the company recieves to Israel.

• Advanced Member
frito-lays is owned by Pepsi, and, as opposed to coca cola, i have not yet come across information linking pepsi to support for zionism.

Salaam Alaykum

Coca-Cola REFUSED to operate in Israel for YEARS. They began to operate in Israel due to the Israelis crying "anti-semetism" again, and Coca-Cola crumbled under the pressure. Why are these angry Arabs making lies about Western companies which operate in Israel? Even the Grand Mufti of Egypt drinks Coke.

• Advanced Member
Coca-Cola REFUSED to operate in Israel for YEARS.

which "YEARS" were these?

In 1997 the Government of Israel Economic Mission honored Coca-Cola at the Israel Trade Award Dinner for its continued support of Israel for the last 30 years and for refusing to abide by the Arab League boycott of Israel.

In 2001 the Coca-Cola World Headquarters hosted and was the main sponser of the American-Israel Chamber of Commerce Awards Gala.

In February 2002, Coca-Cola teamed up with "Friends of Israel" and National Hillel to cosponser a lecture given by the infamous zionist correspondent Linda Gradstein at the University of Minnesota.

In October 2005, Coca-Cola increased its investment in Israel by buying a 51 percent controlling interest in the Tavor Winery.

http://www.inminds.co.uk/boycott-coca-cola.html

Why are these angry Arabs making lies about Western companies which operate in Israel?

who told you these are "lies"?

Even the Grand Mufti of Egypt drinks Coke.

irrelevant.

• Advanced Member

Salaam Alaykum

snip

About that quote: This was after Coca-Cola collapsed under the pressure and began to operate in Israel. Also, huh? "For 30 years"? Sounds like some "Coke Lore" to me.

who told you these are "lies"?

Logic.

irrelevant.

It isn't. These Muftis are as anti-Israel as you can get. So, if Coca-Cola really does donate to Israel, don't you think that these anti-Israeli Muftis wouldn't be drinking Coke?

• Advanced Member
About that quote: This was after Coca-Cola collapsed under the pressure and began to operate in Israel.

do you have any evidence that coca cola ever refused to operate in israel???

Also, huh? "For 30 years"? Sounds like some "Coke Lore" to me.

sounds like you're in denial to me.

Logic.

in other words, it's simply your personal opinion.

These Muftis are as anti-Israel as you can get.

so you claim.

So, if Coca-Cola really does donate to Israel, don't you think that these anti-Israeli Muftis wouldn't be drinking Coke?

yes, if these mufti's are anti-israeli, and they are not hypocrites, and they are aware of coca-cola's unconditional support for israel, then they would refuse to purchase coca-cola products. too bad there is no evidence for any of the prerequisites. nor of your claim that they actually do drink coca-cola.

• Advanced Member

Salaam Alaykum

do you have any evidence that coca cola ever refused to operate in israel???

Here.

sounds like you're in denial to me.

It sounds like you're in denial to ME.

in other words, it's simply your personal opinion.

Just like Coca-Cola donating millions to Israel.

yes, if these mufti's are anti-israeli, and they are not hypocrites, and they are aware of coca-cola's unconditional support for israel, then they would refuse to purchase coca-cola products. too bad there is no evidence for any of the prerequisites. nor of your claim that they actually do drink coca-cola.

Here's your proof.

• Advanced Member

maybe you should've read through that webpage yourself. let me remind you what you said. you stated:

"Coca-Cola REFUSED to operate in Israel for YEARS."

then I asked:

"do you have any evidence that coca cola ever refused to operate in israel???"

and your response is this link "Here" that simply states that Coca-Cola did not announce that it will be donating four days' worth of income to Israel. where does it say that "Coca-Cola REFUSED to operate in Israel" for a SINGLE DAY, let alone "YEARS"?

in fact, read this statement from the horse's mouth itself:

Coca Cola announces its plans to open a plant to produce Coca Cola in Israel, despite the Arab boycott

http://www.israel-mfa.gov.il/MFA/History/M...dependence#1966

and that is the Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs government website.

so try again.

Just like Coca-Cola donating millions to Israel.

is that another personal opinion of yours? because i don't recall anyone making this claim on this thread.

do you even read the articles before providing the links? the article proves none of your claims. so try not to post links to random webpages and label them as "proof".

all of this is WONDERFUL news for muslims. we have absoultely no reason to be poisoning our bodies with these fake foods or wasting money on buying non-nutritious, harmful junk food items. now we have one more reason to be healthy!!!!!

• Advanced Member
all of this is WONDERFUL news for muslims. we have absoultely no reason to be poisoning our bodies with these fake foods or wasting money on buying non-nutritious, harmful junk food items. now we have one more reason to be healthy!!!!!

lol, thats great thinking, but have no worries, muslims are used to having their favorite foods taken away from them, so we've become experts at finding substitutes. But im still not convinced by this news, i need more information on if its the rennet or what.

• 5 weeks later...

ya Cheese has enzymes(rennet) in them and mostly from animal haraam source if u live in USA like me u need to check b4 u buy pizza as there is alternative pizza without enzymes at some grocery stores. also your chips like my brothers stated b4. but u may wanna call the companies to make sure becuz some enymes in cheese are vegetarian or microbial which is suitable for vegetarians as well as muslims.

• 2 years later...
  • Basic Members
FritoLays is the company that makes the chips. On the back of their products it should say frito lay or lays. It's not just the ones that have Lays on the front.

Boycott Zionism :)

Hello Guys.. I have seen Many Post related to Lays that they are Haram

Because they are using E361 Which is Gain From Pig Fat.. :huh:

I have Searched it and found fake post..

I have received a number of forwarded emails regarding E631 being present in the Lays Masala which is a product of Pepsi. It is highlighted that E631 is produced from pig fat. According to a comment by Saad on my post "Pig Fat By Dr. M. Amjad Khan", E631 is present in other Pepsi products as well like Cravys and Kurkure. It is also said to be an ingredient of Kolson Slanty.

Some googling tell that E631 can be generated in 3 different ways:

1. It can be obtained from sardines (fish).

2. It can be made from brewer yeast extract which is a by-product of beer making process.

3. It can be extracted from pig meat.

If method #1 is used then it is Halal. If method #2 is used then it is not Haram but it is better to avoid it. However if method #3 is used then most certainly it is Haram.

One of the readers Mr Umar Shafique gathered the certificates proving that E631 being used by Pepsi in Pakistan is from Halal source. According to these certificates there is no pig fat or any other haram animal fat. I am attaching the certificates here with his permission. So thanks to Umar we can now relax and enjoy Lays, Cravysm, Kurkuray and Slanty.

See below the certificate from Pepsi Pakistan ensuring that E631 used in Lays is from Halal Source:

t82khe.jpg20shs5.gif

25zkow5.jpg

w1v42q.jpg

2hd3zid.jpg

Regards..

Nadeem

• 2 weeks later...