Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Sami Yusef

Rate this topic

kahtan

• Advanced Member

Assalam

Assakum min Awadah or Kulam Wantum be khaer

I am just wondering is Sami Yusef (Anasheed Singer) Shia or Sunni, I know it doesn't matter because were all muslims, but since he is azeri I assumed he was shia, so can anybody give me their insight on that.

Thanks

Fiamanillah

Kahtan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I did some research online (as I have heard some of his music, etc) and it seems like he purposely does not say whether he is shia or sunni (at least publically), but rather let's people speculate. This seems to draw a bit of criticism from both sides, since they think he should be open about his beliefs. Others seem to like that he doesn't try to divide/alienate based on his personal beliefs.

• Advanced Member

The fact that he is from Iran implied to me that he would most likely be Shi'a, but honestly, I've read many sources that have said he is Shi'a, while others say he is Sunni. I guess there's a music video (?) of him praying with his arms folded, but he's probably doing it to gain acceptance from the Mainstream Sunni fanbase. Nonetheless, I'm not sure either way. Quite frankly I don't care. I don't think he's that good.

Guest SayedM'sSister

Salam

To sis Aliya, i also did the research and have found the same, although i found that it is very hard to come to a source that states he is from iran, many of the sites related to him state simply "European" So i myself came to the conclusion that he didn't want people assuming he was shia, therefore chose not to state his home country.

Wasalam

• Advanced Member
Salam

To sis Aliya, i also did the research and have found the same, although i found that it is very hard to come to a source that states he is from iran, many of the sites related to him state simply "European" So i myself came to the conclusion that he didn't want people assuming he was shia, therefore chose not to state his home country.

Wasalam

The Sami Yusuf website (that is listed in his CD covers) says:

"He was born into a musical family of Azeri origin" (that's northern Iran isn't it??)

http://www.samiyusuf.com/biography/index.htm

There is also a "Contact us" link on his website, so I've just sent a message to ask. I'd prefer to ask for the truth than randomly Google his name. I'll let you know how things go!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Religion

Main articles: Religion in Azerbaijan, Islam in Azerbaijan, and Islam in Iran

The majority of Azerbaijanis are Shi'a Muslims. Religious minorities include Sunni Muslims, Jews, Zoroastrians, Christians and Bahá'ís. While only a small minority of Azeris in Iran are Sunni, between 25 and 40 percent of Azeris in the Republic of Azerbaijan identify as nominal Sunnis, and an unknown number show no religious affiliation.[21][85] In the Republic of Azerbaijan traditions from other religions are often celebrated in addition to Islamic holidays, including Norouz and Christmas.

[Wikipedia]

We never know what he is.I think the chance is big that he is shia.Whatever his religouse sect is,it doesnt matter.

Sayyada that is weak evidence becouse also shia-muslims do believe in companions but not the same companions as sunni_muslims.

W.Salaam

His sings clean, he talks clean, and he is an excellent role model in today's world of filthy singers who use some of the filthiest clips for their albums.

Sunni or Shia, does not matter. He is not a religious leader, he is an "artist", and art is supposed to be universal... that is why he is not interested in sharing his inclination with anyone.

I like this song: Hasbi Rabbi

http://www.hahmed.com/blog/2005/11/14/257/