Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Ghadeer Banquet 2007

Guest Ali Habash

Guest Ali Habash

Assalaamu `alaykum Brothers, and sisters!

To be sure, an event you don't wanna miss. Check out the following link for all the juicy details :D

GHADEER BANQUET 2007

Note: The Ecology event is separate and will take place on the following day. Buying a ticket before December 31st gets you into the Ecology event for free.

• Advanced Member
Assalaamu `alaykum Brothers, and sisters!

To be sure, an event you don't wanna miss. Check out the following link for all the juicy details :D

GHADEER BANQUET 2007

Note: The Ecology event is separate and will take place on the following day. Buying a ticket before December 31st gets you into the Ecology event for free.

Wa 3laikassalaam

Does it say where?

Guest Ali Habash

Here are the details my friend. I've attached the posters and information. Was-salaam:)

Thaqalayn Muslim Association

U of T - York U - Queen's U - UMD

Proudly presents

The 6th Annual Ghadeer Banquet

Imam Ali (a): Exponent of Moderation and Universal Human Rights

Speaker: Dr. Hamid Mavani

Dr. Hamid Mavani is a Professor at the Claremont Graduate University, School of Religion, in California. He holds a Ph.D. in Islamic Studies from McGill University, Montreal and has obtained his training in the traditional Islamic sciences from the religious seminaries (hawzah).

Abstract:

A case can be made that in the post 9-11 context, there is a systematic campaign to demonize and dehumanize Muslims by portraying them as a monolithic group that espouse violence and extremism in the name of religion. Islam has been conflated with war, terrorism, oppression and subjugation of women, discrimination and persecution of non-Muslims and the penal provisions of the Islamic Law. Such stereotypical images are in wide circulation in the media and have received credence from a number of individuals and groups. Needless to say, such depictions are diametrically opposed to the Qur’anic ethos and the teachings of the Prophet (S) and the Imams (a).

It is timely to articulate the Qur’anic worldview on the notions of moderation (wasat), balance, proportion and equilibrium along with the overarching ethical value of justice that were exemplified in the conduct and behavior of the exemplary guides who were commissioned by divine decree. In this session, we will explore Imam Ali’s (a) articulation of a compassionate Islam that is based on sound reason and respect for the inalienable rights of every human being irrespective of his/her religious affiliation. Prejudice and bigotry are the outcome of regarding the “other” as being inferior to oneself.

Play: Children of Dust - Destiny

(Genre: Drama / Thriller)

An adaptation of the 2006 Ghadeer Banquet Play with new scenes and new effects

Synopsis - Set in a turbulent and fragile period of the Islamic Ummah where both truth and falsehood are preached from the pulpit and in a backdrop of rampant war mongering and belligerency in the city of Damascus, a Captain in Mu'awiya bin Abu Suffyan's army, Musa bin Abdullah, struggles with the guilt of the past and the prospect an imminent war against fellow Muslims. Musa must quell his doubts and find out the truth for himself, he must know who he is about to lead an army of Muslims into war with, who the real 'Ameer al-Mo'mineen is.

When:

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Time:

5:18 pm, Maghribain followed by Dinner

Where:

Islamic Society of York Region

1380 Stouffville Rd., Richmond Hill, ON

(Leslie St. and Stouffville Rd., just off the 404)

Cost:

Exec's - 10$

Students - $13 ($15 after Dec. 31, 2006)

Adults - $18 ($20 after Dec. 31, 2006)

Tickets can be purchased through your local TMA chapter or by contacting tickets@thaqalayn.org.

Only a limited number of tickets available. Get yours early to avoid disappointment at the door!

Retain ticket for Free entrance to another thought-provoking lecture by Dr. Mavani at the Masumeen Islamic Center on January 14, 2007 (otherwise $5).

Reservations:

If you would like to reserve your tickets, email tickets@thaqalayn.org (to benefit from the early price, payment must be received by December 31, 2006)

Dress: Islamic dress code.

For more information, contact info@thaqalayn.org.

post-15370-1167164931_thumb.jpg

post-15370-1167164970_thumb.jpg

post-15370-1167164990_thumb.jpg

• Veteran Member

:salam:

:bismillah:

I've come for the past two years, but my Iranian friend that took me moved to another city, so I'll have to see if I can find a ride with someone else. I love the Ghadeer Banquets! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

Great event, very well organized thank you so much.

Only criticism (constructive) i would give - if i may - is to maintain a certain calibre for the speakers. I have to be honest in saying that I was very dissappointed in the speaker, he had good messages to convey, but didnt know how to convey them and provided no information or knowledge as to any of the messages he was sending, pure opinion. I have seen you bring wnderful speakers at previous events...if you maintain that type of standard of speakers your events will continue being a success.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
(salam)

Great event, very well organized thank you so much.

Only criticism (constructive) i would give - if i may - is to maintain a certain calibre for the speakers. I have to be honest in saying that I was very dissappointed in the speaker, he had good messages to convey, but didnt know how to convey them and provided no information or knowledge as to any of the messages he was sending, pure opinion. I have seen you bring wnderful speakers at previous events...if you maintain that type of standard of speakers your events will continue being a success.

Regards

I would humbly beg to differ bro/sis I think the speaker this year was better than all the receivers we have had at the Ghadeer banquet at the past, and the reason why I say this is because his topic was much more relative to the present day and the youth (who were the target audience) and the way he presented was refreshingly different than the rest....