Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Mahdiyah

M / S ?

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

Salaam fellow Br/Sr.

What exactly is M/S (Multiple Sclerosis)?

How does one become afflicted, what are its symptoms and how does it effect one's health? Who is most vulnurable and can it be avoided? Are there different types of M/S and does it react to persons individually. Also is there a cure to this disease/disorder?

Pls anyone...

Edited by Mahdiyah

(bismillah)

Salaam fellow Br/Sr.

How does one become afflicted, what are its symptoms and how does it effect one's health? Who is most vulnurable and can it be avoided? Are there different types of M/S and does it react to persons individually. Also is there a cure to this disease/disorder?

Pls anyone...

Its a circulatory [heart] condition in which multiple vessels are sclerosed, that is have become hardened and become narrow.

Chelation therapy, angioplasty, bye-pass surgery are various ways to deal with it

Guest Peace

^ u know so much about medicine - are u self-taught? this is a genuine question - im not bein sarcastic in neway

(bismillah)

Salaam fellow Br/Sr.

Pls anyone...

(salam)

--multiple sclerosis is a condition in which body's immune system attacks person's own nerves (do consider this fact that body's immune system is meant to attack things foreign to body like bacteria /virus etc. it never works against our body except in certain disease)

--occurs typically in young female

--most common symptoms r :

a)weaknes in arm/leg

b)double vision

c)urinary retention

d)sensation of skin as someone is pinning

e)spininig of head

--symptoms fluctuates.eg,a person gets double vision & after few days it corrects by itself .he /she will enjoy symptom free period for few months/weeks. after that weakness in leg appears.so u see symptom------symptom free period ---again symptom & so on. i hope u r follwing me ...........i am very bad in my writing skills.

--diagnosis-:

a)MRI (there will b multiple lesion in brain) ,

b)fluid taken from spinal cord ( also confirms the diagnosis)

--there r 3 types of it :

1) relapsing -remitting----->symptoms appears ---------------then symptom free period-----------(week/months) symptoms reappears again ---------------- & so on.

2)realsing remitting & seconday progression-------->symptoms-------------then symptom free period ------------then again symptoms----------& so on but at one stage symptoms never subsides but keep worsening

3)primary progression----------->symptoms appears & keeps worsening & never returns to normal.

--treatment :

1)steriod is used in acute attacks (hastens recovery from acute attack )

2)interferons, glatiramer may decreases the chances of further acute attack

3) drugs that suppresses immunity like cyclophosphamide ,mitoxantrone ,

methotrexate may actually arrest the progression of of progressing M.S. & if this is coupled with plasmapheresis , the effect is more pronounced. plasmapheresis is a process in which plasma that contains the autoimmune factors is taken from blood and the remaining components, mostly red blood cells, are returned

Its a circulatory [heart] condition in which multiple vessels are sclerosed, that is have become hardened and become narrow.

Chelation therapy, angioplasty, bye-pass surgery are various ways to deal with it

(salam)

sister i think u r mixing something else with MS.i too am interested to know about the disese u r refering too.

Edited by nadeali67

I don't know, but as far as i remember, Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease which causes the degeneration of the myelin sheath. Myelin is kind of like an insulating layer around our axons which allow signals from the brain or to the brain to be transmitted QUICKLY as it increases membrane resistance of axons and allows a better flow of current. If it is degenrated as it is in MS the passing of signals is slowed down causing muscle weakness (motor signals not recieved efficiently), impaired vision, impaired preception, and impaired coordination. Its as if everything has been slowed down, including sensation. I think having the "geneS" increases ur susceptibility, but a viral infection triggers it. :unsure: not sure about that tho. And i don't think there's any cure for it yet althought there are treatments.

I think Sis. Rawshni may be referring to areteriosclerosis.

(salam)

--multiple sclerosis is a condition in which body's immune system attacks person's own nerves (do consider this fact that body's immune system is meant to attack things foreign to body like bacteria /virus etc. it never works against our body except in certain disease)

--occurs typically in young female

--most common symptoms r :

a)weaknes in arm/leg

b)double vision

c)urinary retention

d)sensation of skin as someone is pinning

e)spininig of head

--symptoms fluctuates.eg,a person gets double vision & after few days it corrects by itself .he /she will enjoy symptom free period for few months/weeks. after that weakness in leg appears.so u see symptom------symptom free period ---again symptom & so on. i hope u r follwing me ...........i am very bad in my writing skills.

--diagnosis-:

a)MRI (there will b multiple lesion in brain) ,

b)fluid taken from spinal cord ( also confirms the diagnosis)

--there r 3 types of it :

1) relapsing -remitting----->symptoms appears ---------------then symptom free period-----------(week/months) symptoms reappears again ---------------- & so on.

2)realsing remitting & seconday progression-------->symptoms-------------then symptom free period ------------then again symptoms----------& so on but at one stage symptoms never subsides but keep worsening

3)primary progression----------->symptoms appears & keeps worsening & never returns to normal.

--treatment :

1)steriod is used in acute attacks (hastens recovery from acute attack )

2)interferons, glatiramer may decreases the chances of further acute attack

3) drugs that suppresses immunity like cyclophosphamide ,mitoxantrone ,

methotrexate may actually arrest the progression of of progressing M.S. & if this is coupled with plasmapheresis , the effect is more pronounced. plasmapheresis is a process in which plasma that contains the autoimmune factors is taken from blood and the remaining components, mostly red blood cells, are returned

(salam)

You're right. Thanks for the correction. I should have double checked before putting down things.

Some more details

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is an inflammatory disease of the Central Nervous System (CNS) - that's the brain and spinal cord. Predominantly, it is a disease of the "white matter" tissue. The white matter is made up of nerve fibres which are responsible for transmitting communication signals both internally within the CNS and between the CNS and the nerves supplying rest of the body.

In people affected by MS, patches of damage called plaques or lesions appear in seemingly random areas of the CNS white matter. At the site of a lesion, a nerve insulating material, called myelin, is lost. I shall explain this process in more detail later. Clinically, MS is a hard condition to characterise because it is very unpredictable and variable. Depending on which areas of the CNS are affected and how badly they are damaged, the type and severity of symptoms can vary greatly.

No two people get MS in exactly the same way and the expression of each individual's disease is as unique as their fingerprints. However, the different courses of the disease, both within an individual and within the whole population, principally differ in their timing, location and severity. Underneath similar processes (including demyelination and sometimes other forms of nerve degeneration) are going on.

Fore more info look here:

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/whatisms.html

sister i think u r mixing something else with MS.i too am interested to know about the disese u r refering too.

The disease I mentioned is arterial sclerosis

Edited by Rawshni

The disease I mentioned is arterial sclerosis

(salam)

thanks for the info. how do u know so much of medicine. in one of ur post u mentioned "chelation therapy" & i dont think that many of us have any idea about it .if i m not mistaken ; in one of ur post u talked about riding bike & that too in karachi . i also saw u writing something in farsi in one of ur post.ur english too is quite good for a karachiite.there is hardly any topic in shia chat in which one won't find urs or sis blessed flowers comments. AAP LOG KON HO BHAI ? HUR FUN MOLA ?

Edited by Ya Aba 3abdillah

^

1. As I said somewhere else on these boards awhile ago, I'm a nosey parker. I poke my nose everywhere.

1. I do't know farsi, even though its my mother tongue. Copying written farsi doesn't require much intelligence or skill.

3. I'm a student of English, so I do try to write understandable english, apart from the times when I'm being cussed.

4. I'm not a Karachiite as such. I was born in Yazd. I've spent a considerable part of my formative years in Lahore, and by temperament I'm more a Lahoriya than a Karachiite.

5. According to sis blessedflower I am both a Jinn'ni and a Churrail. Don't ask me what these are, ask her.

6. Re blessedflower, according to her avatar, she is a N'emat from Allah for all of us on this site. We sinners often do not value n'emats bestowed upon us.

^

1. As I said somewhere else on these boards awhile ago, I'm a nosey parker. I poke my nose everywhere.

1. I do't know farsi, even though its my mother tongue. Copying written farsi doesn't require much intelligence or skill.

3. I'm a student of English, so I do try to write understandable english, apart from the times when I'm being cussed.

4. I'm not a Karachiite as such. I was born in Yazd. I've spent a considerable part of my formative years in Lahore, and by temperament I'm more a Lahoriya than a Karachiite.

5. According to sis blessedflower I am both a Jinn'ni and a Churrail. Don't ask me what these are, ask her.

6. Re blessedflower, according to her avatar, she is a N'emat from Allah for all of us on this site. We sinners often do not value n'emats bestowed upon us.

(salam)

both of u & all sisters who r here to learn something & at the same time assists others r ne'mat in real sense .jinni & churail :o :wacko: :P :D

& how do u know so much about medicine?

(bismillah)

Salaam fellow Br/Sr.

Pls anyone...

Cliffs Notes version:

It's an autoimmune disease where the person's immune system attacks the myelin sheath which covers the nerve cells. You can think of myelin as something similar to the covering you see over electric wires-- when that cover is removed, electricity (or nerve impulses) can do just about anything abnormal- too much "electricity," spasms, inability to move, involuntary movement, etc. Since the spinal cord, optic nerve, and brain are also composed of nerve cells, this too eventually is effected by MS.

There's more than one way that MS runs. Some folks get real bad, then can snap back to near normal. Others just chronically deteriorate over a long or short period of time. It can relapse (suddenly get worse) or go into remission, you never know

It's a horrible disease, my father had it and my aunt has it, too.

If you want a more specific definition, you can begin here: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/

Edited by scarymuslimah

(salam)

both of u & all sisters who r here to learn something & at the same time assists others r ne'mat in real sense .jinni & churail :o :wacko: :P :D

& how do u know so much about medicine?

Off and on have to see some doc