Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why Did Abu Bakr Go Around Asking Other People...

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I was just thinking why is it that Abubakr went around asking people to marry Ayesha when the sunnah of the Prophet(saww) was that the guy has to come to the parents of the girl to ask for her hand.. I just thought that it was very odd.. wassalaamun alaikum

• Advanced Member

but if, as some insist, that Aisha was born after the declaration of Islam, why would Abu bakr have engaged her to other than a Muslim? Whether that ayat had come down at that time or not, according to most sunnis she was 6 at the time she married Prophet (pbuh), so that means the other engagement would've been prior to this age, why the hurry to betroth her? (from what I've seen, based on other historical documentations about events in her life in correlation with other known historical events it would seem she was in fact older, that would more satisfactorily account for this prior engagement, and the desire to marry her off to someone else after that engagement ended, since she would've been nearing or past the common age for marriage at that time (15-19 y.o.))

but if, as some insist, that Aisha was born after the declaration of Islam, why would Abu bakr have engaged her to other than a Muslim? Whether that ayat had come down at that time or not, according to most sunnis she was 6 at the time she married Prophet (pbuh), so that means the other engagement would've been prior to this age, why the hurry to betroth her? (from what I've seen, based on other historical documentations about events in her life in correlation with other known historical events it would seem she was in fact older, that would more satisfactorily account for this prior engagement, and the desire to marry her off to someone else after that engagement ended, since she would've been nearing or past the common age for marriage at that time (15-19 y.o.))

Actually the authentic reports does not say that Ayesha (ra) was married at 6. It actually say she was engaged to RasoolAllah (sawas) at 6 and then married at the age of 9.

• Advanced Member

but would still not account for her earlier engagement, nor the asking of others to marry her if her age was indeed so young. As I said, there is evidence to support the later (15-19 y.o.) age than the 6 y.o. which is quoted from hadith.

dude i'm not into aishah but it's good for parents to look for quality spouses for their children and there is no shame in a family trying to find a good match for their daughter. in other cases according to quran even women themselve asked to marry the prophet (s). this is a cultural tradition not an issue of sunnah.

(salam)

I was just thinking why is it that Abubakr went around asking people to marry Ayesha when the sunnah of the Prophet(saww) was that the guy has to come to the parents of the girl to ask for her hand.. I just thought that it was very odd.. wassalaamun alaikum

• Advanced Member
dude i'm not into aishah but it's good for parents to look for quality spouses for their children and there is no shame in a family trying to find a good match for their daughter. in other cases according to quran even women themselve asked to marry the prophet (s). this is a cultural tradition not an issue of sunnah.

So Abu Bakr was following the 'sunnah' of the wives of the Prophets(as).. and ofcourse there is no shame in seeking the best for ones daughter.. but to go around convincing people to marry his daughter would seem a bit odd by any standards.. even in today's arab society.. wassalaamun alaikum

• Advanced Member
(salam)

Can you please post the narrations that show Abu Bakr was the one who sought a suitor for 'Aisha?

I looked and looked but I couldn't find the right hadith.. I have one where the Prophet(saww) supposedly asked for Aisha's hand :wacko:.. I guess I made a mistake.. I was so sure that it was Abu bakr.. now I am :unsure: .. wassalaamun alaikum

but would still not account for her earlier engagement, nor the asking of others to marry her if her age was indeed so young. As I said, there is evidence to support the later (15-19 y.o.) age than the 6 y.o. which is quoted from hadith.

Hadiths are not infallible. But they do have a level of authenticity. If you look at it from a Muhadith's point of view then you can conclude Bibi Ayesha (ra) was engaged when she was non Baligh and married when she was Baligh.