Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
hijabikel

Just A Question

Rate this topic

(salam)

I have hesitated about asking this question because I did not want it to be taken the wrong way. Insha'Allah someone can give me a sensible answer!

OK, here goes!

I have been told if I need to pick something off the floor, as a hijabi, it is better for me to bend over, rather than squat. I always feel like it is better to squat than bend as it is more modest.

I know it's a strange one, and something quite trivial in the big scheme of things, but it is something that is bothering me.

Can anyone give me an answer as to what is better and their reason as to why?

Thanks in advance and I really do feel like a goose for asking this!

hijabikel

Salam Alaikum,

I don't think this answer relates with hijab, but in general it is said that you should squat to pick up something and not bend over, because bending puts strain on your back, while with squating your not putting pressure on your back.

In regards to what seems more modest, i'd go with squating.

Salam Alaikum,

I don't think this answer relates with hijab, but in general it is said that you should squat to pick up something and not bend over, because bending puts strain on your back, while with squating your not putting pressure on your back.

In regards to what seems more modest, i'd go with squating.

(salam)

Thank you :) That's what I was leaning towards...

Anyone else have an opinion on this one??

Squat definately...I always feel akward when I bend over to pick something up...but it was the first time that I heard that it was better to bend over...who told you that...or where did you read it if it was a credable source.

Yeh you should squat, its better for you're back, but wasnt aware this was a islamic issue rather just general :huh:

I know it's better for your back to squat (I work in healthcare) - which is why I was querying as to which is correct from an Islamic point of view.

Squat definately...I always feel akward when I bend over to pick something up...but it was the first time that I heard that it was better to bend over...who told you that...or where did you read it if it was a credable source.

I'm happy to have everyone agree on the squatting thing - it's what I have always felt more comfortable doing.

I was in Syria earlier this year and was staying with a Shia family there. I dropped something one day when we were out and squatted to pick it up - I was promptly told that I should bend rather than squat (and now I know the Arabic word for shame!).

It puzzled me then, it puzzles me now!

It puzzled me then, it puzzles me now!

sounds to me its more of a cultural thing and not a religious thing. different cultures have a different idea of what is modest. they will therefore try to tell women what is more hijabi-like for them to do. squat/ bend over, whatever you do youre pronouncing your butt. hey maybe we should walk around with those mechanic arms the dudes in the trains do to pick up rubbish. would come in handy for remote pinching :!!!:

and how unhealthy are you people that you cant bend over to pick something relatively light off the floor? if its heavy lifting you bend at the knees and therefore squat, but if youve dropped your ... say book on the floor, i dont see how its a health hazard to bend over once to get it. it may even be a rare form of exercise for some of us. but in practise id probably squat, mostly because its just a hell of a lot easier and faster.

^

The spine and the lower back, the coccygeal region are a marvel of engineering, predicated upon a very delicate balance of forces.

Bending, sometimes leads to a sudden disequilibrium in this scheme of things, resulting in acute pain.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

In the subject case, better to squat [ bending the knees and lowering one self] rather than bending at the waist from an upright position.

Even more so, when the thing to be picked up is heavy; or massive, having a large mass but little weight, or live, such as a kitten, pup or brat

Edited by Rawshni

sounds to me its more of a cultural thing and not a religious thing. different cultures have a different idea of what is modest. they will therefore try to tell women what is more hijabi-like for them to do. squat/ bend over, whatever you do youre pronouncing your butt. hey maybe we should walk around with those mechanic arms the dudes in the trains do to pick up rubbish. would come in handy for remote pinching :!!!:

and how unhealthy are you people that you cant bend over to pick something relatively light off the floor? if its heavy lifting you bend at the knees and therefore squat, but if youve dropped your ... say book on the floor, i dont see how its a health hazard to bend over once to get it. it may even be a rare form of exercise for some of us. but in practise id probably squat, mostly because its just a hell of a lot easier and faster.

I like the way you think CG! Maybe they should sell those mechanical arms in our local Muslim clothing store! It would solve all my problems (well, on this subject anyway).

Backs are delicate things. You can bend over and pick up a balloon, or you can bend over and pick up a baby elephant - either can put your back out.

Isn't it jsut more lady like to squat and pick then bend and pick?

That's what I thought....

(bismillah)

(salam)

i prefer squat bcos bending reveals the figure more than squatting. (i feel this is related

to islam)

and yeh bending brings abt more disorders..

wassalam

It's nice to see that everyone agrees! OK... squat it is!

Thanks!!

Squat, definitely. Where I live, bending is associated with sex. Could this "shame" thing that apparently is on in Syria have something to do with squatting being the position used at the toilet? Then you may consider kneeling on one knee rather than squatting?