Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Spriglief

Iran Reduces Internet Speed

Rate this topic

Iran's internet service providers (ISPs) have started reducing the speed of Internet access to homes and cafes based on new government-imposed limits, a move critics said appeared to be part of a clampdown on the media.

An official said last week that ISPs were now "forbidden" by the Telecommunications Ministry from providing Internet connections faster than 128 kilobytes per second (KBps), the official IRNA news agency reported. He did not give a reason.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews....=rss&rpc=22

We saw what happened to the USSR when they could not keep up with the rest of the world. This insures Iran will fall behind as well. I just hope the result is as bloodless. At lest they will never be hungry and shivering in the dark like North Korea, at lest I hope not.

Iran's internet service providers (ISPs) have started reducing the speed of Internet access to homes and cafes based on new government-imposed limits, a move critics said appeared to be part of a clampdown on the media.

An official said last week that ISPs were now "forbidden" by the Telecommunications Ministry from providing Internet connections faster than 128 kilobytes per second (KBps), the official IRNA news agency reported. He did not give a reason.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews....=rss&rpc=22

We saw what happened to the USSR when they could not keep up with the rest of the world. This insures Iran will fall behind as well. I just hope the result is as bloodless. At lest they will never be hungry and shivering in the dark like North Korea, at lest I hope not.

(bismillah)

I have been working with internet security for quiet sometime sir. Fast bandwidth allows faster packet hijack and breaking into systems including denial of service attacks, Iran has many enemies.

(salam)

While both the article's commentary and spriglief's comparison of Iran and USSR are a little bit over the top, it is true that this will not solve anything and only create more opposition.

I say that Iran should introduce high-speed internet to the public NOW.

Kalashnikov said:

"I have been working with internet security for quiet sometime sir. Fast bandwidth allows faster packet hijack and breaking into systems including denial of service attacks, Iran has many enemies."

Very true...

Related to the drive to 'connect' everyone to a once in-house US Dept. of Defense communication system called the 'internet', we know that the NSA monitors all internet traffic and can, very easily, utilize the internet as a weapon against enemy governments and their populations that are connected to it at comparable technical specs...as can many other governments...

So before everyone buys into the catchphrases of the article published above in a Western newspaper using typical language to engender an emotional reaction of your lower nafs in support of some vague notion of 'freedom' -- please attempt to look at the larger picture and what's really going on behind the scenes. Wa`asalaam

Example:

Is the NSA spying on U.S. Internet traffic?

Salon exclusive: Two former AT&T employees say the telecom giant has maintained a secret, highly secure room in St. Louis since 2002. Intelligence experts say it bears the earmarks of a National Security Agency operation

Full Article

(salam) Banning any form of communication or access to information is really discouraging and upsetting for any society. As for the satellite dishes - everyone has them despite the ban - I wonder if faster internet connection will be available to those with extras money to pay for it quietly.

(salam) The article says it is only internet cafes and homes that have reduced speed. Businesses are unaffected. Enemies are more interested in government and business communication than the silly e-mails we send from homes.

(bismillah)

This is related to BLOG crack down. BLOGGING causes a lot of havoc and chaos and can be used for good things. It will be difficult for reformists/revolutionists to host any websites etc.

(salam)

Hitler was very media savy as well and I'm sure he had his reasons for only allowing pro-Nazi broadcast when the reins of power fell into his hands.

Wow, the Hitler reference and it's only a page into a discussion relating to Ahmadinejad!

(bismillah)

I have been working with internet security for quiet sometime sir. Fast bandwidth allows faster packet hijack and breaking into systems including denial of service attacks, Iran has many enemies.

(salam)

" Iran has many enemies." Gee I wonder why, don't you? How can a facist paradise have any enemies? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peace

Satyaban

While both the article's commentary and spriglief's comparison of Iran and USSR are a little bit over the top, it is true that this will not solve anything and only create more opposition.

I say that Iran should introduce high-speed internet to the public NOW.

Of course you are right, the USSR was a communist state and the IRI is a facist state. :(

Peace

Satyaban

Edited by satyaban

Limit to 128 Kbyte/s? lol, most people in the Netherlands dont even have anything close to that speed.

Khoubi arman? leuk nog een iraanse nederlander te zien hier :)

The article is a sham, ADSL is becoming very popular in Iran and the spokesperson giving "no explenation" is very dubious, very gossip'ish journalism, latest Iranian internet speeds are 1mbps and higher and becoming very popular, also no other internet provider in Iran reported such a news as far as i know. You can read about internet speeds in Iran on this website;

http://www.ip2dsl.ir/services.htm

the only thing i can figure is that maybe they want to reduce the speed of internet for "internet 56k cards" wich are still used in iran allot, like a dial up internet card..

Edited by Rubaiyat

Slowing the internet in Iran down? Don't mean to be offensive to anyone, but is that even possible? I had the intention of keeping a blog at my trip last year, but it failed, for a large part due to the impossibility of dialing (!!! in 2005!) in and the sssssssssslllllllllooooooooooth of the connection...

And Arman, most internet providers here express their connection speed in MBPS these days. 1MB=1000KB. A speed of 128 kbps is... well.... medieval.

Edited by Zeynab-europe

" Iran has many enemies." Gee I wonder why, don't you? How can a facist paradise have any enemies? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peace

Satyaban

Of course you are right, the USSR was a communist state and the IRI is a facist state. :(

Peace

Satyaban

Have you ever been to iran?

Slowing the internet in Iran down? Don't mean to be offensive to anyone, but is that even possible? I had the intention of keeping a blog at my trip last year, but it failed, for a large part due to the impossibility of dialing (!!! in 2005!) in and the sssssssssslllllllllooooooooooth of the connection...

And Arman, most internet providers here express their connection speed in MBPS these days. 1MB=1000KB. A speed of 128 kbps is... well.... medieval.

128 kilobits per second is something other than 128 kilobytes per second. 128 kilobyte per second is 1 Mbps. Don't try to act smart ok? If you had slow internet, then you should have either gone to a good internet cafee or bought adsl.

Edited by Arman

Khoubi arman? leuk nog een iraanse nederlander te zien hier :)

The article is a sham, ADSL is becoming very popular in Iran and the spokesperson giving "no explenation" is very dubious, very gossip'ish journalism, latest Iranian internet speeds are 1mbps and higher and becoming very popular, also no other internet provider in Iran reported such a news as far as i know. You can read about internet speeds in Iran on this website;

http://www.ip2dsl.ir/services.htm

the only thing i can figure is that maybe they want to reduce the speed of internet for "internet 56k cards" wich are still used in iran allot, like a dial up internet card..

Salam, :)

In Iran you can even get a 25Mbps connection, much more than you can get in backward USA.

http://www.shatel.ir/english/eng/adsl.php

http://ctel.ir/index.php

Right now I am downloading 4 things at the same time, at 100 Kilobyte per second. That is 28 Kilobyte per second below what supposedly the new restriction is in Iran. This is already well above almost all people in the Netherlands. My actual download speed is half a MegaByte per second, but I limit the download speed myself (for ratio reasons :P), but thats way faster than anyone I know of.

Guest DjibrilCisse

^LOOOOOL

The thing I love about these articles is that the hatred/jealousy filled animals are exposed.

I think we should invent a story a month about Iran just to seperate the haters from th rest.

All you whining non-tech people, there is a difference between "kbps" and "KBps"

kbps = kilobits per second (1kbps = 1000 bits per second, a bit can store only one unit of digital information)

KBps = Kilobytes per second (1KBps = 1024 bytes per second, a byte is made up of 8 bits)

See the difference? The article says KBps ;)

Though I don't see why they should impose even such a restriction. This would only allow the enemies to spread propaganda and sensational stories against IRI.

Edited by Mohsin

Guest Dead curious

(bismillah)

salam

I still don't understand how slowing down the interenet will help securety. If they only slowed it down for the public use, why not the bussines as well?

Reducing the internet speed will resolve nothing and solve nothing, and will only give Iran's enemies another pretext to attack Iran on.

I repeat: Iran should introduce high-speed internet to the public NOW.

Since my work deals with mainframe middleware security, I can tell you Internet speed and accessibility is a security issue, which is one of the reasons US companies by Federal Law have to regulate internet speed.

If you want to talk about civil liberties, do you know every e-mail we write goes through a FBI filtering program? This program searches for certain words (like Jihad, bomb, etc) in different languages and FLAGS them as "Terrrorist Chatter" and is read by agents.

Every institution in the US, like ISPs, banks, etc. have to allow "backdoors" so, when warranted, the government can track your every move?

(A backdoor in a computer system (or cryptosystem or algorithm) is a method of bypassing normal authentication or securing remote access to a computer, while attempting to remain hidden from casual inspection.)

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

This is extremely fuuny....weather restrictions are of technical nature or otherwise the first thing the Americans here will do is to come here and explain us how freedom loving they are and how freedom hating we are. They make it sound as if the Government banned Internet services completely. God only knows what low bandwidth has to do with restrictions on Freedom of speech, expression and media. This has to go into a comic strip.

Edited by mohdali316