Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
islamrox

Physique

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

well.....ever since i was young...like grade 4...i would work out........i was reaaly slim until grade nine...i did not look fat...but i did put on more weight than a females body should normally put on...........but i looked really normal.....i think i put on more weight...but pple tell me i lost weight...i really think its muscle...i just know it :blush:

anyways......my bod is more than fine...i workout like 3 times a week.... ..eat relatively healthy......but as a female u can never be too good...so i still want to trim town to get to my desired physique......

any advice for the gal :huh:

not to sound rude but well I do advise caution as far as working out goes. there is a point of fitness where no one looks good. I don't know where you are at but just thought i'd let you know. also body fat % is far more important that actual weight.

dont worry...im toned enough not to look masculine...now now..i know bwtter than that...but it just doesnt seem that im losing weight...but pple r telling me i did...lol

im gonna try to cut my futoor in half and wait to see if it works... :P

wassalam

but as a female u can never be too good

WEIGHT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE FAT...

MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT...

U ARE MORE LIKELY TO SEE URSELF VERY DIFFERENTLY TO HOW OTHERS SEE U...

TRUST THE PUBLIC OPINION (if there trustworthy of course)....

U R GREAT :D....

just incase u wer wondering;MODELS/CELEBRITIES ARENT REALLY THIN, WE PHOTOSHOP THEM...

UNLESS THERE ANEREXIC... WE STILL PHOTOSHOP THEM BECAUSE THEY GROW FACIAL/BODY HAIR DUE TO ANOREXIA!

... if u already have a good training habit ur already healthy and at the shape u should be... khalaas

Guest DjibrilCisse

Don't eat anything big after 6 in the evening. Make your dinner as light and early as possible. Drink lots of water before after and during meals, as well as throughout the day (in the beginning you'll think it's not helping but within a few weeks you'll notice the loss of all that water weight).

Eat many small meals instead of a few big ones.

Finally, the Imam Ali (as) theories work best:

1. Stop eating once you're no longer hungry. Don't keep eating until you're full.

2. Eat in such a way that if someone were to invite you to a meal, you'd be able to attend straight away and eat.

WEIGHT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE FAT...

MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT...

U ARE MORE LIKELY TO SEE URSELF VERY DIFFERENTLY TO HOW OTHERS SEE U...

TRUST THE PUBLIC OPINION (if there trustworthy of course)....

U R GREAT :D....

just incase u wer wondering;MODELS/CELEBRITIES ARENT REALLY THIN, WE PHOTOSHOP THEM...

UNLESS THERE ANEREXIC... WE STILL PHOTOSHOP THEM BECAUSE THEY GROW FACIAL/BODY HAIR DUE TO ANOREXIA!

... if u already have a good training habit ur already healthy and at the shape u should be... khalaas

wow!!! if ur anorexic dat means u get body hair? i didnt know dat !!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(bismillah)

(salam)

well.....ever since i was young...like grade 4...i would work out........i was reaaly slim until grade nine...i did not look fat...but i did put on more weight than a females body should normally put on...........but i looked really normal.....i think i put on more weight...but pple tell me i lost weight...i really think its muscle...i just know it :blush:

anyways......my bod is more than fine...i workout like 3 times a week.... ..eat relatively healthy......but as a female u can never be too good...so i still want to trim town to get to my desired physique......

any advice for the gal :huh:

I understand where you're coming from... i am constantly trying to look better.. but you have to be carefull because it can turn into an obsession... i used to starve myself for days till i came to a point where i couldnt take it... then i would eat soooo much in 1 go that will make me feel so down that i ended up making myself sick to loose the calories.. on top of that i used to do about 2/3 hours of excercise everyday.. when you should only do excercise 3 times a week...

But thankfully i got myself out of that- now i am trying to stick to the healthy way... though the obsession does come back from time to time...:rolleyes:

You might have body dysmorphic disorder.

^^what is that???

Body Dysmorphic Disorder

Category: Somatoform Disorders

Etiology: The specific cause of this disorder is not known. Some argue that it is itself a symptom of another psychiatric disorder such as those involving psychosis or delusional beliefs.

Symptoms: Preoccupation with a specific body part and the belief that this body part is deformed or defective. The preoccupation is significantly excessive and causes distress or significant impairment in functioning. It is not better explained by another disorder such as dissatisfaction with body shape in anorexia or delusions associated with a psychotic disorder.

Treatment: Because the disorder is most often gradual, taking several months or years to develop, intervention is difficult. Therapy is typically refused by individuals with this disorder as well as any suggestions for medication.

Prognosis: Mixed. Some recent studies suggest good results with medications such as antidepressants.

http://allpsych.com/disorders/somatoform/bodydysmorphic.html

Edited by Maryaam

First, figure out what your normal caloric intake should be. It is determined by a number of factors such as gender, height, weight, age, body type, activity level, etc. You can find your calorie needs with this tool: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Weight loss and weight gain are very simple. If you eat more than your allowed caloric intake, you will gain weight. If you eat less, you will lose weight. All the fad diets out there operate on this simple principle. Once you've learn your individual caloric limits, strive to eat within them. Get in the habit of reading nutritional labels on foods so you are aware of calorie contents.

It takes more than eating the right amount to calories to lose weight and stay fit. You need to develop good eating habits. Here's some rules of thumb for general healthy eating:

- Instead of eating 3 square meals a day, eat 4-6 small meals. This is better for your digestion and speeds up your metabolism.

- Don't skip breakfast. Its the most important meal of the day and you'll be less likely to snack or pig out at lunch.

- Try to eat slightly smaller meals during the later parts of the day.

- You can get away with eating junk food and stuff in the morning but avoid them during the PM hours.

- As a general rule of thumb, stop eating after 8pm, especially carbs. If you are trying to lose weight stop after 6pm.

- Avoid or restrict refined sugars, processed foods, white bread/pasta/rice, and trans fat. Limit your consumption of saturated fats too.

- When you feel like eating something sweet, reach for fruit instead of candy bars and Twinkies.

- Don't forget to incorporate exercise or some other physical activity such as walking. About 20 mins of exercise every day should do it.

Edited by Talib-e-Ilm

Hmmmmm

I see several myths being pushed in this thread, so I am going to deal with them. I should probably just write an article, but I'm too lazy right now.

Some credentials? I've lost over 120 pounds in a little over a year. I did it through healthy eating and exercise, which is the only way to go. I'm still not to my personal body fat goal, but I expect to be there sometime this summer. I've also read at least a dozen books on fitness, weight training, yoga, female altheticism, etc.

All this being said, here's some problems in a few of the responses-- especially related to female weight loss, physique, and fitness:

1. "Toning"-- there is no such thing as toning. There is only fat loss and muscle gain. Usually when people say "toning" they are referring to enough fat loss to see some defininition in their musculature, or some mucle gain to show through the layer of fat already on the body. Repeat-- THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TONING. Don't believe me? Look it up.

2. The bulking myth- This is a rampant myth going around all over the place, and it drives me maaaad. So many women are discouraged from lifting weights because people tell them that their muscles will "get too big" or their bodies will become masculine. This is a crock, just so everyone knows this. And here is why:

A) We women do not have the same hormone balance that men do- we lack the amounts of testasterone needed to produce large amounts of lean mass in a short period of time. So unless the woman has a larger than normal amount of testasterone in her system, or is taking anabolic steroids, she will NOT become huge or man-like as so many people enjoy stating.

B) Women can gain muscle, but in moderate amounts, of course. However, in order for a woman to gain huge amounts of lean body mass, she would have to have the necessary testasterone (see above) and, more importantly, she'd have to EAT HUGE AMOUNTS OF FOOD in order to gain it. If you are currently eating a calorie deficiency for maintenance (the amount of calories needed to keep you at the weight you are), it is highly unlikely that you will grow huge. In fact, you will probably gain some muscle and lose some fat in the beginning (called "newbie gains"), but it will eventually plateau without adequate nutrition to build MORE muscle tissue. I know a female Australian powerlifter online who does sport some significant musculature (still doesn't look like a man-- she's natural and not a steroid user), but guess how many calories she has to eat a day in order to stay in powerlifting shape? Over SEVEN THOUSAND calories a day.

C) Overweight women will sometimes say that if they lift weights, that the muscle they gain is going to "bulk them up" because it will "push their fat" further out- making them bigger. This is garbage, and I know this from personal experience. More muscle tissue will, in fact, speed up the metabolism and burn calories faster because it is a very active tissue (a lb of muscle will burn 30% more calories than a pound of fat, for example). Several years ago, I was at 230 pounds and a US size 26-28. I got down to this weight this summer, but because I lifted weights, HEAVY WEIGHTS, I was 230, but a US size 20. Major, major difference, people. I had gained some muscle and lost a ton of fat as a result

3. Other reasons to lift weights:

A) Lifting weights increases bone density, and as women, this is of special importance because of osteoperosis later on in life.

B) Lifting Weights speeds up metabolism

C) Lifting Weights will increase some muscle mass- which gives the body a better "shape" that the fat (we all need some fat, folks) lies over. Developing certain muscles can also help compensate for areas one might not like about themselves- such as developing shoulders and back can give a body more of a "V-taper" to the body, creating the look of a smaller waistline.

D) Lifting Weights will make you physically stronger- which is always a good thing for anyone.

E) Lifting Weights will increase your endurance- and believe me, once you have kids, you're really going to need this ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Other Issues Aside from Weightlifting~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diet is a good percentage of a person's health. Talib e Ilm put some good advice up there on some basic suggestions for eating.

Go to any search engine and type in "BMR" Plug in the information such as your age, gender, height and weight, and it will come up with a number for you. This number is the absolute minimum calories needed for you to function, and that is if you literally SLEEP ALL DAY LONG. In other words, your daily maintenance calories is going to be higher than this.

If you are currently eating less than your BMR (basal metabolic rate), then you are undereating. This is a very dangerous thing to do for several reasons: you will have little energy to even do any exercise or to even function. Your body will also go into starvation mode, which will actually SLOW DOWN your metabolism-- and you may even gain weight as a result. Eating too little might make you lose weight- but more often than not, you will also be losing your lean body mass as well as fat- which is something you want to avoid. A lot of women undereat even to the point of having eating disorders such as anorexia. Do not go down that path, it will destroy your health completely and spoil your metabolism.

Depending on your normal activity level, you will want to add more calories to your BMR number (there are online calculators for this as well. Fitday.com is a website where you can find some of this info as well as it being a tool where you can log in your food and activities to see where you are). And yes, this is to LOSE weight. See the whole starvation mode thing. A calorie deficit of 300-500 calories a day is what you are looking for when you are losing weight. A pound of fat is worth about 3,500 calories, and a healthy weight loss is considered to be a pound a week MAXIMUM. Try not to go under a max deficit of 3,500 calories for the entire week. If you do undereat, you will be more likely to binge because you'll be feeling deprived of food or have certain cravings.

Other nutrition items- don't go for diets where one of the macronutrients (protein, fat, carbohydrates) are really low. Fad diet alert- don't go there. Of course, some people do better on moderately low carb diets, but don't go for anything extreme like the Atkins system. Also, don't think for a second that "low fat" equals fat loss. The body needs daily fat in order to survive-- it is necessary for pretty much everything-- so don't cut out the fat.

Vitamins- take a multivitamin a day, like Centrum or a generic version. Just do it even if you're not trying to lose weight. It's amazing how many of us eat a lot, but are actually malnourished because of our food choices.

If you don't eat foods that have omega 3s, I'd suggest taking fish oil caplets (vegitarian gelatin caps of course, no pork!), or flax seed oil caplets. Even regular flax seeds will work, too.

Make sure you have enough vitamin D. It's important for protein synthesis, pretty much all organ function, and can help stave off the onset of MS, certain cancers, type 2 diabetes, etc. Just do a search, there's plenty of medical studies on this. Being in the sun doesn't always work nowdays- so many of us live a modern life where we spend more time indoors than outdoors. Women of color also need to be in the sun longer than those white lighter pigmentation- melanin helps to block the UV rays that help the body synthesize vitamin D naturally. In addition, if you're not living at the equator, rememver that winter is the time where you're barely able to self-synthesize vitamin D, especially here in North America. To be honest, I'd suggest taking a vitamin D supplement. Go for at least 400 iu a day if possible.

Food choices- the less processed the food, the better. Go for whole grains instead of "white foods." Brown rice instead of white rice. Don't eat any packaged food where you can't pronounce the ingredients. Keep the ingredient list to a minimum, too, when looking at packaged foods. BE wary that a TON of our foods nowdays contain high fructose corn syrup, which is just bonzo for the body. Even most breads have it, believe it or not. Go for whole fruit instead of fruit jucies (you get the benefit of the pectin and fiber by eating whole fruits, and your stomach feels more satisfied). When you eat carbs, make sure you are also eating some protein and fat at the same time- this reduces the likelihood of the body having an "insulin spike" and low blood sugar or hypoglycemia later on.

Exersize aside from weight lifting:

I'd personally recommend 3 days a week. 30 min cardio, at least 30 minutes weight lifting (heavy weights 6-10 reps, 2 sets to begin with), and 30 minutes of flexibility work- such as stretching or yoga. But hey, if you can't do that, make it two times a week- some is better than none.

It works.

~~~~~~~~~

FYI, If I've just lost everyone here, an easy system to follow is the Body For Life system. I think it's pretty good for beginners and to get people introduced to healthy eating and working out. Don't spend a lot of money, but I'd buy the book or check it out from the library. A gym membership always helps, too ;)

Edited by scarymuslimah

Very good and fruitful advice. I hope the mod team will ask you to C&P that in a new topic so they can make a sticky out of it.

Depending on your normal activity level, you will want to add more calories to your BMR number (there are online calculators for this as well. Fitday.com is a website where you can find some of this info as well as it being a tool where you can log in your food and activities to see where you are). And yes, this is to LOSE weight. See the whole starvation mode thing. A calorie deficit of 300-500 calories a day is what you are looking for when you are losing weight. A pound of fat is worth about 3,500 calories, and a healthy weight loss is considered to be a pound a week MAXIMUM. Try not to go under a max deficit of 3,500 calories for the entire week. If you do undereat, you will be more likely to binge because you'll be feeling deprived of food or have certain cravings.

Other nutrition items- don't go for diets where one of the macronutrients (protein, fat, carbohydrates) are really low. Fad diet alert- don't go there. Of course, some people do better on moderately low carb diets, but don't go for anything extreme like the Atkins system. Also, don't think for a second that "low fat" equals fat loss. The body needs daily fat in order to survive-- it is necessary for pretty much everything-- so don't cut out the fat.

Vitamins- take a multivitamin a day, like Centrum or a generic version. Just do it even if you're not trying to lose weight. It's amazing how many of us eat a lot, but are actually malnourished because of our food choices.

If you don't eat foods that have omega 3s, I'd suggest taking fish oil caplets (vegitarian gelatin caps of course, no pork!), or flax seed oil caplets. Even regular flax seeds will work, too.

Thats the core of weight loss.. Make an account on fitday.com and track your daily eating habits until you get to the point where you know your exact calorie consumption.

The toughest part in weight loss is not food but will power and determination. How bad do you want it is the question. The process is very simple and you will be in it within 2 weeks.

Thanks again for the time spent in writing the above ScaryMuslimah i hope it doesnt get shifted to the bottom of this subforum.