Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Catholicism and Shiism

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

In some ways it is similar. The idea of having a head figure, for one. In this sense, Catholics with the Pope issuing rulings is more similar to Shi'i Islam than Sunni. Protestants and Sunnis would be more directly comparable in this issue.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

though the question may be of some relevance to historic or sociological studies, whether there is or isn't any resemblance between the shiism and catholicism is completely irrelevant to the truth of their content. if there is 100% compatibility between the two on one issue, this issue would not be more wrong or more right as per that compatibility.

i am saying this simply because it is an argument that is often used by some ignorants to try prove the correctness or falsehood of a particular belief (though no one made any such claims in this thread. consider it a 'pre-emptive' strike...).

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

This is an interesting question. I will list a few things that seem similar to me. Although in truly important matters, there are many more differences than similarities.

I think in some respects the difference between Catholicism and Protestantism mirrors some of the contrasts as can be found between Shiia and Sunni forms of Islam. Please note that I am not treating matters of truth or falsehood, just simply some aspects that bear comparison.

-Both Catholicism and Shiism have more well-defined clerical hierarchies than Protestantism and Suni.

-The word "fundamentalist" in English is usually (but not always) applied to both extreme Protestants (evangelicals, Pentecostals, "Born Again Christians" like George Bush, etc.) and the Salafis, rather than Catholics and Shiites. Both the Salafis and the extreme Protestants seek to return to how they imagine it was in the earliest days of their religion, while Catholics and Shiites have more respect for the entire scope of their histories and the teachings of many teachers and thinkers down through history.

-Both the Salafis and extreme Protestants use very simple, literal readings of their Holy Texts. The Shiites and the Catholics are apt to take a more complex, broader view that involves ideas about hidden meaning that needs careful interpretation, and so on.

-Both the Salafis and extreme Protestants are very quick to use the label "unbeliever" or "un-saved" for others who think differently than them, while the Shiites and Catholics both seem to be more cautious and thoughtful about making such judgements.

-Ideas of *tragic, unjust suffering* of the innocent and pure are more central in Catholicism and Shiism than in Protestantism or Sunism. Some types of Catholicism encourage very emotional enactment of suffering and long contemplation on various types of sorrows and sufferings.

-Interestingly enough, at least in official doctrine, the Catholics seem see themselves in a closer kind of relationship with Islam than the Protestants, most of whom completely reject any acknowledged relationship with Islam. The Catechism of the Catholic Church, the official doctrine document released by the Roman Catholic church, has this to say:

"The Church's relationship with the Muslims: The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day." (CCC 841; source = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christo-Islamic).

Edited by Blueline