Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why do we (Shia) curse the Prophets companions?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Being a young shia muslim and still gaining knowledge, i just wanted to start a topic where the more knowledgable shia brothers/sisters could tell me why we curse the Prophet's companions? i.e. Uthman, Abu bakr etc.

Why do we curse the Prophets companions?

What did they do wrong?

Thank you!

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Well the reason shia's dislike the so called companions is because of their opression. They have done alot to the Ahul Bayt and caused alot of suffering.

I am sure the brothers and sisters will post hadiths about this issue but I do reccomend you reading over the site because This issue has been discussed many times.

• Advanced Member

Yes, i am reading around the site, but since there are soooo many topics and commets scattered all over, i thought it would be a better idea if i could read all the views within this one thread.

Thank you for your brief outline.

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Allah ( swt ) has said :

"O you who believe! obey Allah and obey the Apostle and those in authority from among you; then if you quarrel about anything, refer it to Allah and the Apostle, if you believe in Allah and the last day; this is better and very good in the end. " ( 4:59 ) and if we study the history of the sahaba ... we see that they went against this :

"That is because they resisted Allah and His Messenger: and if any one resists Allah, verily Allah is severe in Punishment. ( 59:4 )

"It is not fitting for a Believer, man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger to have any option about their decision: if any one disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he is indeed on a clearly wrong Path. " ( 33:36 )

"Those who annoy Allah and His Messenger - Allah has cursed them in this World and in the Hereafter, and has prepared for them a humiliating Punishment." (33:57)

"Unless I proclaim what I receive from Allah and His Messages: for any that disobey Allah and His Messenger,- for them is Hell: they shall dwell therein for ever." ( 72:23 )

Now we go to these sahaba ( we'll take umar for example, for that he is the greatest the sunnah have ) :

`Ubaydullah ibn Abdullah ibn `Utbah ibn Mas`ud who quotes Ibn `Abbas saying that when death approached the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him and his progeny, his house was full of men including `Umer ibn al-Khattab. The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him and his progeny, said: "Let me write you something that will forever protect you against straying after me." `Umer said: "The Prophet is under the influence of pain, and you have with you the Qur'an; so, the Book of Allah suffices us." Those who were present there argued among themselves, and their argument developed into a dispute. Some of them said: "Come close to the Prophet so that he may write something for you that will safeguard you against straying after him," while others repeated what `Umer had said. When the argument and dispute intensified in the presence of the Prophet, the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him and his progeny, said to them: "Get away from me." Ibn `Abbas used to say: "The calamity, the real calamity, is what caused the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) to desist from writing what he wished to write, due to their argument and dispute." [1]

"Qabsah narrated a tradition to us from Ibn `Ayinah, Salman al-Ahwal, and Sa`id ibn Jubayr, all consecutively quoting Ibn `Abbas saying: `On a Thursday - what a day that Thursday was...,' and he burst sobbing till his tears drenched the stones, then he went on to say, "...the pain of the Messenger of Allah intensified on a Thursday; so, he ordered us to bring him some writing material so that he might write us something whereby we would be protected against straying after him, but people disputed, knowing that nobody should dispute in the presence of any Prophet, and they said: `The Messenger of Allah is delirious.' He, peace be upon him and his progeny, then said: `Leave me, for the pain which I am suffering is more tolerable than what you are attributing to me,' and he left in his will prior to his demise three items: to get the polytheists out of the Arab land, to reward the envoys the same way he (pbuh) used to reward them,' and I forgot the third one."[2]

In another tradition narrated by al-Tabrani, in his Awsat, and on page 138, Vol. 3, of Kanz al-`Ummal, `Umer is quoted saying: "When the Prophet became sick, he said: `Bring me a tablet and an ink-pot, so that I may write you something after which you shall never stray;' so, the women behind the curtain said: `Have you not heard what the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him and his progeny, is saying?'" `Umer goes on to say: "I said to them: `You are like the women who admired Joseph; when the Messenger of Allah falls sick, you squeeze your eyes, and when he is healthy, you ride his neck!" He also continues to say: "The Messenger of Allah then said: `Leave them, for they are better than you.'"[3]

Now, if u go back the verses, u will understand why it is permissible to curse them.

---------------------------

[1]Sahih Muslim, volume 11 page 95, and in "Al Tabaqat" volume 2, pg 232 and Musnad Ahmad Bin Hanbal, volume 1, pg 336.

[2]The third is none other than the matter which the Prophet (pbuh) desired to write down in order to protect them from misguidance, but politics forced the traditionists to "forget" it, as the Hanafi mufti of Sur, Hajj Dawud al-Dadah, suggested.

[3]al-Tabrani, in his Awsat, and on page 138, Vol. 3, of Kanz al-`Ummal,

-----------------------

Wa (salam)

- 3abdulrahman Chirri [ 2al 3amili ] -

Edited by Imami_ali
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

Being a young shia muslim and still gaining knowledge, i just wanted to start a topic where the more knowledgable shia brothers/sisters could tell me why we curse the Prophet's companions? i.e. Uthman, Abu bakr etc.

You call these guys the Prophet's companions. Brother these guys were pretending to be his friend. Mohammad pbuh elected 'Ali as the Khalifa not anyone else ...Uthmaan (who disliked the Prophet for sending him away from power) envied the Prophet. Why do you think he murdered Ahlul-Bayt? These guys (Uthmaan :shaytan: and his followers) aren't the Prophet's friends. Would you consider someone your friend if he murdered your family?

• Advanced Member

It's true, they have no knowledge. The best thing to do is to ignore them and let them believe what they want to believe as long as you don't listen to them. Walah these people changed the whole history of Islam. They told me once Prophet Mohammad pbuh made a mistake by betraying Allah in war...ISTAGHFARALLAH WITH THEIR STORIES.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

[1]Sahih Muslim, volume 11 page 95, and in "Al Tabaqat" volume 2, pg 232 and Musnad Ahmad Bin Hanbal, volume 1, pg 336.

I couldn't find the Hadith in Sahih Muslim what book number is it and what number Hadith. I'm looking it up through the internet so I can't look by page number.

Thank You

wasalam

(salam)

(bismillah)

To be honest none of these three persons done anything for Islam but for themselves. At the funeral of the Prophet  these three were at the Saqeefa discussing who should lead the Ummah.

1. Abu Bakr (ra) fought the Wars of Apostasy against the false prophets like Musaylama the Liar. It was Abu Bakr who brought the sword against the apostates.

2. It was Umar (ra) who conquered Persia, Egypt, Syria, and Palestine, including Jerusalem. It was under Umar's rule that Islam was brought to these lands.

And so, I think it was Amir al-Muminin, Ali ibn Abi Talib (as) , who said:

"There is enough light for one who wants to see."

(salam)

-MZA

Edited by ultra-muslim
  • Advanced Member

(bismillah)

1. Abu Bakr  fought the Wars of Apostasy against the false prophets like Musaylama the Liar. It was Abu Bakr who brought the sword against the apostates.

Dear Brother, what does that Prove?

2. It was Umar  who conquered Persia, Egypt, Syria, and Palestine, including Jerusalem. It was under Umar's rule that Islam was brought to these lands.

Once again bro, what does that prove?

(salam)

• Advanced Member

Assalamualaikum Shah, you said you are a young Shia, good for you. I am a convert from Sunni, and if not as a show of love for the Ahlul Bayt and a consequence repulsion of Abu Bakr and Umar al Khattab, and Uthman and the Umayyads esp., I would not have became a Shia, and I thank Allah for showing me the truth in Islam.

If not for the idols, there would not have been these groups calling themselves Sunnah wal Jamaah and calling us Kaffirs. And the sad thing that many of my own family, relatives, and friends are followers of Sunnism simpley because it was the way of their ancestors. Who's to blame? On these two stupid idols.

So, since Allah curses them, the Imam curses, being a Shia, I curse some of the companions too, and that is not out of irrrational thinking.

rgds

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Chat buddy, I really respect what you have done. You have done a good thing for improving your Islam. There's only one problem, even though you don't approve with Abu Bekr, Omar and Othman (just like me) do not insult them because it starts fitnah between us and the Sunnis. Seperation in Islam is growing and we do not want that to happen. If you want Sunnis to follow the right path, respect their opinions. It's true I have insulted these people in my earlier posts but I learned my lesson when I offended some people. If you want someone to learn from you, respect him so he can listen to you.

Wasalaam

Edited by Mohamad_Hussein
  • Advanced Member

TKS for the advice. If I may clarify, I respect my sunni bros, many are my own relatives and dear frens. I wish to point out that we cant blame sunnis what they practice (plse read the posting by bro rafic on sunni conv). I was a sunni bcos I inherit it from my parents.

But I wish to point out that I dont have an iota of respect for Abu Bakr and Uthman.

rgds

• Advanced Member

It's true you shouldn't follow Abu Bekr, Omar or Othman. A Muslim should listen to the Rasul (pbuh). The Rasul himself said that he wanted 'Ali as the Khaliph al Muslimin. It's true Abu Bekr was liked by many people and they wanted him Khaliph but what's better the Rasul's (pbuh) decision or what normal people think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
(salam)

Chat buddy, I really respect what you have done. You have done a good thing for improving your Islam. There's only one problem, even though you don't approve with Abu Bekr, Omar and Othman (just like me) do not insult them because it starts fitnah between us and the Sunnis. Seperation in Islam is growing and we do not want that to happen. If you want Sunnis to follow the right path, respect their opinions. It's true I have insulted these people in my earlier posts but I learned my lesson when I offended some people. If you want someone to learn from you, respect him so he can listen to you.

Wasalaam

Very Nicely Said brother i share the same thoughts. i dont want to force my opinion/thoughts on others but this is the very basic first step towards shia/sunni unity and we do need to unite.

exexex: if you want to view sahih bukhari online to verify hadith then use this link

http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/hadeeth/bukhari/index.htm

• 6 years later...
  • Advanced Member

Let Sheikh Mufeed (ra) reply:

Once Sheikh Mufid saw a dream, and then dictated it to his companions and disciples. He said: I dreamt that as I was passing through a street, I saw a large crowd gathered around someone. On enquiry, I was told that they had surrounded Umar b. al-Khattab, the second Caliph. I pushed myself forward, and when I came near him, I said: "O Sheikh, do you allow me to ask a question?" He said: "Ask." So I said: "Would you explain me how is the excellence of your friend Abu Bakr established by the Ayah in which Allah says: 'the second of the two, when they were in the cave'. Your friends are making too much out of it."

He said: "This Ayah proves Abu Bakr's excellence in six ways:

Allah mentions the Prophet, peace be upon him, and then mentions Abu Bakr with him, as his second of the two;

Allah mentions them as being together at one place; which is a sign of mutual affinity;

Allah adds further quality of being the Prophet's "SAHIB", the Companion;

Allah relates how kind and caring the Prophet was towards Abu Bakr when he told him, "Don't grieve";

Where the Prophet assured Abu Bakr that "Allah is with us" meaning that He will help both of them simultaneously;

Allah revealed that He will send down AS-SAKINAH (serenity) upon Abu Bakr because as far as the Prophet was concerned, AS SAKINAH never parted from him

These are six proofs of Abu Bakr's excellence from the mentioned Ayah."

Sheikh Mufid says: "I told him that he had indeed made a good effort to make his point, and had left no room for any other person to be a better advocate for his friend. But I was going to demolish the arguments, making it like ashes blown away by the fast wind."

Sheikh said:

"When you say that Allah has mentioned the Prophet, peace be upon him and his progeny, and then mentioned Abu Bakr as his second, I do not see anything extraordinary in that. For if you ponder over it, you will find that Allah was only revealing the number of persons present in the cave. They were two; there could have been a Mo'min and a Kafir and they would still be two."

"And when you talk of they being together at one place, it is again as simple as the first case. If there was one place only, it could have been occupied by a Mo'min and a disbeliever also. The Mosque of the Prophet is definitely a better place than the cave, and yet it was a gathering place for the believers and the hypocrites. The Ark of Prophet Noah carried the Prophet Noah, together with Satan and the animals. So being together at one place is no virtue."

"And when you talk about the added quality of being 'SAHIB', the companion, this indeed is a weaker point than the first two, because a believer and a disbeliever can both be in the company of each other. Allah, Most High, used the word 'SAHIB' in the following Ayah: 'His "SAHIB" (companion) said to him while he was conversing with him: Have you disbelieved in the One Who created you from soil and then from a small quantity of sperm, then fashioned you harmoniously as a man?' (al-KAHF V. 37). Further, we find in Arabic literature that the word "SAHIB" is used for the accompanying donkey, and also for the sword. So, if the term can be used between a Momin and a Kafir, between a man and his animal, and between a living and an inanimate object, then what is so special in it about your friend?"

"And the words 'Don't grieve' were not meant for any solace;. Because it was a statement forbidding an act. In Arabic, we have 'donts' and 'dos' as imperative verbs. Now, the grief expressed by Abu Bakr was either an act of obedience or disobedience. If it was obedience, the Prophet would not have forbidden it, therefore it is proved that it was an act of sin and disobedience."

"As for the assurance that 'Allah is with us', the pronoun 'us' was used by the Prophet for himself The use of plural pronoun for oneself is a sign of ones elevated status. Allah says: 'Indeed, We are the One who has revealed the Quran, and We will most surely preserve it.' (Al-Hijr V.9). And again: 'We are the One who gives life and ordains death, and We are the inheritor'(al-Hijr V.23). And the Shias have their own version, which does not seem far-fetched. They say that Abu Bakr told the Prophet that his grief was for Ali b. Abi Talib (who was left behind in Makkah), and the Prophet replied: 'Do not grieve, surely, Allah is with us' meaning; with me and my brother, Ali b. Abi Talib."

"Your claim that AS-SAKINAH (serenity) was sent down to Abu Bakr is indeed outrageous. Because the verse clearly states that the serenity came unto him who was helped with the unseen army.

The Ayah says:

'... Then Allah sent down on him His serenity and strengthened him with unseen forces'

(al-Tawbah: 40).

So if AS-SAKINAH had descended upon Abu Bakr, he would have received the support of the unseen army. In fact, it would have been better if you had not attributed this to Abu Bakr. For according to Quran, this serenity was sent down on the Prophet twice:

'Then Allah sent down His serenity upon His messenger and the believers, and sent down forces which you did not see ...'.

(al Taubah:V.26).

'Then Allah sent down His serenity upon His Messenger and the believers, and adhered them to the word of piety'

(al-Fath: V. 26).

In both places, the believers shared the serenity with the Prophet, but in this event of the cave, serenity was sent down to the Prophet alone, excluding Abu Bakr. This may be a pointer to the fact that Abu Bakr was not among the believers!"

Sheikh Mufid says that Umar made no reply to my arguments, and as people around him scattered, he woke up from his sleep.

• Advanced Member

Cry in fear? Please elaborate.

This series of events indicates that the Prophet did not intend to take Abu Bakr with him. The latter accompanied him from the middle of the way without the Prophet's permission. According to other reports, Abu Bakr was taken on the journey for fear of his causing a disturbance and giving information to the enemy. Your own ulema have admitted this fact. For instance, Sheikh Abu'l-Qasim Bin Sabbagh, who is one of the well known ulema of your sect, writing in his Al-Nur wa'l-Burhan about the life of the Prophet, narrates from Muhammad Bin Ishaq, and he from Hasan Bin Thabit Ansari, that he went to Mecca to perform the Umra before the emigration of the Prophet. He saw that the Quraish unbelievers were railing at the Prophet's companions. The Prophet ordered Ali to sleep in his bed, and, fearing that Abu Bakr would disclose this fact to the unbelievers, the Prophet took Abu Bakr with him.

ACCOMPANYING THE HOLY PROPHET

• Advanced Member

First, it is not companions.

Secondly, Fatima-Zahra (as) died in anger against them.

Thirdly, anyone who angers Fatima-Zahra (as), angry RasouluAllah (pbuh) , and thus Allah (swT). This person deserves the worst punishment.

Othman is responsible for the death of Abu Thar (ra)

Othman was murdered by your Sahabi .... : )

Aisha fought Amir El Mou'minin (as) : - She is responsible for the deaths of thousands of Muslims ; -She has violated the following Quranic verse : [33:33] (Al-Ahzab) ; She refused the interment of l'Imam Hassan (as) near RasuluAllah (pbuh) ......after that: it is not hatred?

This is the best known sources.

There are other sources much more dangerous.

والصلاة والسلام على سيدنا محمد وآله الطيبين الطاهرين

ولعنة الله على أعدائهم أجمعين

Edited by Shougun