Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
rafic

Nafila Prayers

Rate this topic

Intro: Hi All, I am a "convert" after studying (and arguing) on Shiism for 5 years. I am a devout muslim; I can only read English, and I can read Arabic with diacritical marks without understanding what they mean; I have no contact with any Shii brother/sister. Currently I am in the process of changing my fiqh. To me, one of wonderful gift of the Prophet s.a.w. is the permissibility of gathering the solat. I find that one cannot miss one's solat in virtue of this. You guys are lucky to be in no need to search out for the “truth” ...

Today I just like to ask you some aspects of the Nafila solat. I understand and have been performing the five daily solat the ways of the Ahlul-Bayt ("AB") since mid-2003.

I understand that for the daily recommended Nafila solat, the number of the raka’at of these solat everyday other than Friday totals 34 i.e. 8 raka’at for Zuhr, 8 raka’at for 'Asr, 4 raka’at for Maghrib, 8 raka’at for 'Isha, 11 raka’at for midnight solat (Namaz e-Shab) and 2 raka’at for Fajr.

Timing

--------

Q01: I read that the preferable time for Nafila solat for Zuhr is from the commencement of the time of the midday solat up to the time when the shadow of indicator equals 2/7th of its length. I find this a bit impractical if I were to judge this by looking at the watch. If I knew approximately how long it takes for the shadow to equal 2/7th, then I would know when not to offer the Nafila prayer. How do you practice this in your area?

Q02: I read that the Nafila for 'Asr is offered before ‘Asr solat and its preferable time is till the moment when the shadow of the indicator which appears after midday reaches the stage of 4/7th of its length. Again this question is similar to the above - How do you practice this in your area?

Q03: I read and interpret that the Nafila for Fajr, in general, is to be offered just BEFORE the time for the obligatory for Fajr sets in. Now, is it permissible to offer this Nafila prayer (followed by the Fajr prayer) when its already time to pray Fajr prayer?

Praying whilst Sitting

-------------------------

Q04: I read that in accordance with obligatory precaution the night ('Isha) recommended solat should be offered in the sitting posture. I also read that other Nafila solat can be offered sitting down. Its 2 raka’at are, however, to be treated as equal to one only. Can you elaborate what this means? Can you please teach me how to pray by sitting down?

Q05: I further read that on Friday 4 raka’at are added to the 16 raka’at of the "midday" and 'Asr solat, and it is better that all these 20 raka’at are offered before the sun declines. Does the phrase "before the sun declines" means before the setting in of Zuhr? How does one discernly distinquish one's niyyat under this scenario for the before-mentioned 20 raka’at?

Qunut

-------

I understand that it is mustahab to recite Qunut (before the Ruku of the second Rak'at) in the following:

(i) Daily five (5) obligatory solat and

(ii) Mustahab solat which include Witr or Namaz-e-Shab (one qunut), Friday Solat (one qunut in every Rak'at), Namaz-e-Ayaat (five qunut), Eid Solat (five qunut in the first Rak'at and four in the second Rak'at).

Q06: I read that in the solat of Shafa' (part of Namaz-e-Shab), qunut is to be performed with the niyyat of Raja'. What does " niyyat of Raja' " mean? Why is qunut not read for this prayer?

Q07: Do we recite qunut in other Nafila solat that accompany the five obligatory solat? If not, why?

Q08: I understand that qunut can be verses from the Quran (you can download a copy of a MSWord document from duas.org). Is it permissible for one to recite all the "appropriate" Quranic verses in one’s qunut?

Q09: Is it correct that one recites "Allahuakbar" before raising the hand for qunut?

Q10: Is reciting dua permitted in qunut, any dua as long as it is in Arabic? Would this invalidates one's prayer? If it is impermissible, then do we conclude that the essence of prayer is merely recitations of tasbih and quranic verses, whilst the supplication of one's needs is to invoke Allah outside of one's solat?

Thank you. I will use the search function to read on any threads which would shed some light on my research.

Guest Shujaat

(bismillah)

(salam) bro rafic :)

Wow, that's a lot of questions.

-  Qunoot is mustahab once in every prescribed prayer and other voluntary ones [except Shefa’ prayer].  If you wish, you can say it, with your both hands raised in supplication, after you have finished reciting the second surah of the second ruku, i.e. immediately before bowing.

*  Is there any particular supplication I can say in qunoot?

-  No, there is not.  However, you could recite a verse from the Holy Qur’an, invoking your Lord;  you may ask Him for anything.

- Jurisprudence Made Easy, by Ayatullah Seestani HA

I called Ay. Seestan (ha)'s office in London, and the answers for ur questions were

Q07: Do we recite qunut in other Nafila solat that accompany the five obligatory solat? If not, why?

Qunut is mustahab Wajib and Nafila namaz

Q08: I understand that qunut can be verses from the Quran (you can download a copy of a MSWord document from duas.org). Is it permissible for one to recite all the "appropriate" Quranic verses in one’s qunut?

Q09: Is it correct that one recites "Allahuakbar" before raising the hand for qunut?

It is Mustahab.

Q10: Is reciting dua permitted in qunut, any dua as long as it is in Arabic? Would this invalidates one's prayer? If it is impermissible, then do we conclude that the essence of prayer is merely recitations of tasbih and quranic verses, whilst the supplication of one's needs is to invoke Allah outside of one's solat?

You ask for anything.

(salam)

(bismillah)

(salam)

Firstly bro, I must say that I'm very impressed by your questions and feel so happy to hear a convert to ask these types of questions. I bet half those born shia don't know a thing about the nawafil.

Q01: I read that the preferable time for Nafila solat for Zuhr is from the commencement of the time of the midday solat up to the time when the shadow of indicator equals 2/7th of its length. I find this a bit impractical if I were to judge this by looking at the watch. If I knew approximately how long it takes for the shadow to equal 2/7th, then I would know when not to offer the Nafila prayer. How do you practice this in your area?

Q02: I read that the Nafila for 'Asr is offered before ‘Asr solat and its preferable time is till the moment when the shadow of the indicator which appears after midday reaches the stage of 4/7th of its length. Again this question is similar to the above - How do you practice this in your area?

Having searched exhaustively for an alternative method of working out the time more practically, I must say that I couldn't find one. You must remember that the timings listed for the dhuhr and 'asr nawafil are the recommended times and you can pray them after the dhuhr and 'asr salat respectively.

Usually, the Ulema will pray the dhuhr nafilah at the instant time of the dhuhr adhan and then pray the 'asr nafilah after the dhuhr salat. If I can't pray the dhuhr nafilah at the time of the adhan, I usually pray the dhuhr salat and then the dhuhr nafilah and then the 'asr nafilah and then the 'asr salat.

Remember, you can pray the dhuhr nafilah after the dhuhr salat and the 'asr nafilah after the 'asr salat as according to this ruling:

'In case a person wishes to offer Zuhr and Asr Nafilah after their recommended time, he can offer the Zuhr Nafilah after Zuhr prayers, and the Asr Nafilah after Asr prayers, but as a precaution, he will not make niyyat of Ada or Qadha' (number 777 in 'Islamic Laws').

Q03: I read and interpret that the Nafila for Fajr, in general, is to be offered just BEFORE the time for the obligatory for Fajr sets in. Now, is it permissible to offer this Nafila prayer (followed by the Fajr prayer) when its already time to pray Fajr prayer?

Yes, it is permissible, but it's best to pray the obligatory prayer first if the time of the adhan has arrived.

Right, I have to go get sleep now, will reply to the rest in the morning.

ws

Edited by Abdul_Hussain

(bismillah)

(salam)

Q04: I read that in accordance with obligatory precaution the night ('Isha) recommended solat should be offered in the sitting posture. I also read that other Nafila solat can be offered sitting down. Its 2 raka’at are, however, to be treated as equal to one only. Can you elaborate what this means? Can you please teach me how to pray by sitting down?

The obligatory precaution here is out of gaining more reward than making the nafilah invalid. The 2 rak'ats means that you do 2 rak'ats in the sitting position, which is equivalent to 1 ruka'a in the normal position. I think it was a typo, but you wrote that the nafilah for 'isha was '8 rak’at'. This is in incorrect, the nafilah is 2 rak'at sitting which counts as one, so that's how you get the total of 34 rak'ats for the nawafil.

Salat in the sitting position involves EXACTLY the same words used in the normal position. You sit in the same postion as you would after coming out of sujood. When you go into ruku', you bend your head down so that it's very near to your knees. You bring your head back up and then go down into normal sujood. You finish the nafilah in the same way as the salat.

Q05: I further read that on Friday 4 raka’at are added to the 16 raka’at of the "midday" and 'Asr solat, and it is better that all these 20 raka’at are offered before the sun declines. Does the phrase "before the sun declines" means before the setting in of Zuhr? How does one discernly distinquish one's niyyat under this scenario for the before-mentioned 20 raka’at?

Yes, the nawafil for dhuhr and 'asr are to be offered before the setting in of the dhuhr (see 'Islamic Laws' rule 772: But on Friday, 4 Rak'ats are added to the 16 Rak'ats of the Zuhr and the Asr Nafilah, and it is preferable that all these 20 Rak'ats are offered before the Zuhr sets in). The 4 rak'ats are divided into 2 extra for the dhuhr and 2 extra for the 'asr, so you make the niyah accordingly.

Q06: I read that in the solat of Shafa' (part of Namaz-e-Shab), qunut is to be performed with the niyyat of Raja'. What does " niyyat of Raja' " mean? Why is qunut not read for this prayer?

Niyah of raja' means niyah of gaining thawab (reward). This is a jurisprudential term. Here, the mujtahid cannot find an iron-clad riwaya which says qunoot is a definite sunnah of the Ahlulbayt (as) in Salat Al-Shafi', but he finds ahadith which sometimes showed the Salat Al-Shafi' was performed with the qunoot. Hence, he recommends that the qunoot is done with the niyah of gaining thawab. Basically, the mujtahid is being very cautious. So, you should do the qunoot in Salat Al-Shafi'.

It is mustahab to the qunoot in the five daily prayers and the daily nawafil. The qunoot is almost always performed in these salat.

You can recite what you want in the qunoot, with the usual recommendation being verses from the Qur'an.

This is a mustahab act derived from ahadith narrating the sunna of the salat of the Ahlulbayt (as) .

You can recite whatever you wish in the qunoot, as long as it is in Arabic. The common act is a short section of a dua and a few verses from the Qur'an.

Hope that answers your questions.

ws

Dear Messrs. Abdul Hussin and Shujaat

Assalamualaikum: Your responses are very lucid and I feel I am in no need to ask for further clarifications. Alhamdulillah your responses came b4 Ramadhan (which I had hoped for). I regret the typo on the number of raka'at for Nafila 'Isha and I hope other readers will discern the same. Rgds and have a good day.

Dear Brothers,

As Salam alaikum,

I would like to ask a few questions,

Do we have to recite Azaan and Aqamat for nafila prayers.

Is it not the prayers the same like Obligatory(Farz) prayers, or do we have to pray add anything more or less than Farz prayers.

If we are travelling do we have to pray Nafila prayers. if so how and how many rakats. Like we do Qasr prayers for Zuhr, Asr and Isha, if on travel as I travel much on business trips.

Lastly I will be travelling to Iraq on Ziarats, shortly, What are the daily prayers that I need to perform, and in this travel I need to pray (Farz namaz) Qasr or completely do prayers as normal. 

I would much appreciate your answers on the above.

Sincerely,

Your Brother

Md. Mirza

Edited by Mohammed Mirza
To Notify