Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

10th muharram - Fasting!

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

bro Slave of Allah...

I want to know whats ur intention really in

presenting ur topic that way ...

As long as Shia r satisfied with their beliefs

& u with yours as u say ..why ask ??

See bro I v noticed that u r 13 & living in

Saudi Arabia...well thats fine ...

If u r truely seeking knowledge.....do come to

eastern province & particularly Qateef ...

& attend lectures held daily & Im sure

u ll be surprised about what u ll see & hear ...

Ur Sis Nada

Feemanallah. :)

• Advanced Member

(salam)

From the wording of the statement, it was meant as a "smart remark" for Shias that they have nothing better to do but be deviant and beating up themselves.

To some people, Ashura is a day of celebration, they don't even know what Ashura is and what it stands for.

Some even say Imam Hussein (as) is a sahaba of Rasullullah (as) (this came from a Sunni man who wanted to buy meat at a Shia shop)  uh??

• Advanced Member

Umayyad made this day for fasting and rejoining. Their ‘dime a dozen’ Ulama produced lots of fake traditions to show that this day should be celebrated. Just look at how Sunnis and Wahhabis celebrate this day...Do they remember The Way of Imam Hussein or the way of Yazid & Umayyad??

• Advanced Member

Salam Alaykum,

I heard/read a lot in History has opened on the day of Ashura-10th of Muharram during the times of the Prophets.

For example that person who looked like Jesus crucified on the day of Ashura, Ebrahim's son being a sacrifice was on that day, and a lot more... I guess all this happened as a remembrance of the sacrifice of Aaleh Muhammad - Imam Husayn (as).

So since the beginning of the creation, that day was a symbolic meaning to humanity, for what has happened to Imam Hussain (as), to spread the message of Allah (swt) and defeating all evil.

Wallahul Alem.

Wsalam

• Advanced Member

There is a great article about Ashura at Fatih Al Mubin by Salem Bhimji that try's to answer some of the misconceptions regarding Ashura

We do not fast on Ashura but there are some shia that refrains from eating and drinking -without the intention of keeping a fast , and we eat only after Salat al-Asar. the food that we eat should not be grand but simple food like Yougart, milk and we should keep away from tasty dishes.

Allamah Majlisi in his book Zad -al Ma'ad mentions that it is better not to fast on the 9th or 10th of Muharram since the Bani Ummayad used to fast on these 2 days as a blessing and for killing Imam Hussein(as),

In this regard they fabricated many ahadith in the name of last prophet(pbuh&hf) regarding the reccomendations and rewards for fasting on these 2 days, where as in actuality there are countless ahadith from Ahlul Bayt that nulifies and invalidate the fasting on the 9th and 10th Muharram with special emphasize on 10th Muharram.

From the ahadith it is clear that those forged traditions in the name of teh Prophet which claimed the Day of Ashura as a blessed day can be nothing but pure lies. Just in the line of Ziyarat-e-Ashura says taht, "O' Allah! This is the day that the Bani 'ummayah took as a (day of) celebrations".

• Advanced Member

[b:post_uid0]The great Shia Scholar, Shaikh As-Saduq, narrates that Maytham At-Tamar said to another person "By Allah! This Ummah killed the son of their own Prophet in the month of Muharram on the 10th of this month(Muharram).."

The other person asked,"How did the people take the day of the killing of Imam Husayn to be a day of blessing?"

He replied, "They forged ahadith that on this day, Allah the glorious accepted the repentance of Prophet Adam which in reality took place in Dhul Hijjah. They think that this was the day that Allah took Prophet Yunus out from the belly of the whale, but really, Allah saved him in the month of Dhu al Qa'da. They think that this was the day that Prophet Nuh's Ship was laid to rest on the mountain, but this to was on the 18th of Dhul Hijjah. They think that this was the day that prophet Musa was saved when the river was split open, but this happenend in the month of Rabiul Awwal..." [/b:post_uid0]

*For the Brother that asked about Hijrah...I was told that it happened in rabiul Awwal

• Advanced Member

Thanks sis zareen.

I happend to ask this question from a scholar some time back. I received the same answer...the 10th of muharam is unique for kerbala only. No other event took place on this date. I could be wrong, but this is what i know.

• Advanced Member

Salam Alaikum

I find no logic in the fasting on 10th Muharram.

1) The very ahadith about this are dodgy... they mention that the jews were fasting to celebrate when Musa (a.s.) freed the Bani Israeel. The Prophet (s) said, we are more entitled to celebrate it. I find this very childish, and there seems no divine order to fast, rather it seems the Prophet (s) wanted to be dhiddi against Jews (Na'oodhu billah)

2) According to what i understand, the jews have their own calender, which has been corrupted over the hundreds of years, the Prophet (s) would not rely on their dates.

3) Further, was the day to be correct, jews and muslims have different calenders, therefore, 10th Muharram will not coincide with that jewish day every year.

4) After real unbias studying, the Bani Umayyah are responsible for starting the fast on Ashura.

Wassalam

• Advanced Member

(salam)

i dont personally c a problem if someone wishes to refrain from eating on Ashura as this is usually to remember the hunger and thirst of imam Hussain and his family and companions on this day.

Something i wud like to ask is, on Ashura, what food was made in Kerbala?  Iknow it mite seem like a trivial question but i've heard two things.

i)  it was a mixture of any foor that was left, lentils, rice, meat etc.etc. and this made haleem

ii)  it was naan and a pakora/bhaji type dish which was very dry.

cud anyone verify either of these.  

I dont pretend to be knowledge-able but i at the moment through shiachat.com have a chance to learn and wud appreciate any replies.

thanx

• Advanced Member

The question here is not to refrain from eating...it is, whether u should keep a fast or not. Many people avoid eating until Asr on ashura...but not with the intention of keeping a fast. This is called [i:post_uid0]faqa[/i:post_uid0] and it is recommended that we keep faqa on 10th Mohurram.

Contrary to that, fasting [i:post_uid0]with the niyyat of keeping a fast[/i:post_uid0] is not recommended.

• Veteran Member

[color=#000000:post_uid0]http://al-islam.org/al-serat/fastofashura.htm

The Fast of 'Ashura  

Sayyid Saeed Akhtar Rizvi

Some traditions are found in Sunni books to the effect that the Prophet (s.a.w.) on migrating to Medina found the Jews fasting on the 10th of Muharram. He asked them why, and was told: "It is an auspicious day; it is the day when God delivered the children of Israel from their enemy (i.e. Pharaoh); and, therefore, Moses fasted on that day." The Prophet (s.a.w.) said, "I am worthier of Moses than you are." Thereupon, he fasted on that day and ordered (the Muslims) to fast.

1. al-Sahih of al-Bukhari, Vol.3; Egypt ed.; p.54

2. Mishkatul-Masabih; Delhi ed.; 1307 A.H.; p.l72

It is noted by the commentator of Mishkatul-Masabih that "it was in the second year, because in the first year the Prophet had arrived at Medina after 'Ashura, in Rabi'ul-awwal."

How much importance was this fast supposed to have may be judged from another tradition narrated in al-Sahih of. al-Bukhari: "The Prophet (s.a.w.) ordered a man from the (tribe of) Aslam: Announce to the people that whoever has eaten should fast the rest of the day, and whoever has not eaten should fast (the whole day), because today is the 'Ashura (10th day of Muharram)."

That very year the fast of Ramadan was ordained and the obligation to fast on 'Ashura was abrogated, as has been claimed in other traditions narrated in the same book. Still, reportedly, it carries much importance as a voluntary fast.

Now let us look closely at these traditions:

First: The Jews had their own calendar and months. There is no logic in saying that they fasted on the 10th of Muharram - unless it could be proved that this date always coincided with a Jewish day of fast.

It was mentioned in my article, "Martyrdom of Imam Husayn and the Muslim and the Jewish Calendars" (Alserat, Vol.VI, No's 3 & 4; Muharram 1401 Nov.1980) that the first month of the Jews (Abib, later named Nisan) coincided with Rajab of the Arabs. W.O.E.Oesterley and Theodore H.Robinson have written that in Arabia "the most important of all the new-moon festivals was that which fell in the month of Ragab (sic), equivalent to the Hebrew month 'Abib, for this was the time when the ancient Arabs celebrated the Spring festival." (Hebrew Religion; S.P.C.K., London; 1955; p.128)

Probably, in ancient times the two branches of Abraham's house followed the same system of intercalating an additional month 7 times in a cycle of 19 years. And in this way the 7th Jewish month, Tishri I, coincided with Muharram. And the 'Ashura of Muharram synchronized with 10th of Tishri I, the Jewish Day of Atonement - a day of fast. In that article, it was observed that the two calendars lost their synchronization when Islam, in the 9th year of hijra, disallowed intercalation. But on deeper consideration it transpired that that parity was lost long before the advent of Islam, because the Arabs did not follow any mathematical calculation in their intercalation. That was why the Muharram of the 2nd year of Hijra began on 5th July, 623 C.E. (Al-Munjid, 21st ed.), months before Tishri I (which always coincides with September-October).

Clearly, 'Ashura of Muharram in that year (or, for that matter, during the Prophet's whole life at Medina) had no significance whatsoever for the Jews.

The question is: Why did they fast on that day?

Second: The Jewish Midrashic literature relates the 10th day of the 7th month (Yom Hakippurim - Day of Atonement) to the event of bringing the tablets of the Covenant from Mount Sinai, as Dr. Mishael Maswari-Caspi has written in his letter, quoted in my previous article, mentioned above.

The question is: If the Jews had wanted to keep the long-lost synchronization of Tishri I and Muharram in view, how was it that they forgot to narrate this tradition to the Prophet?

Third: The month in which God delivered the Israelites from Pharaoh was Abib (i.e. Rajab), as the Bible clearly says: "Observe the month of Abib, and keep the passover unto the Lord thy God: for in the month of Abib the Lord thy God brought thee forth out of Egypt by night." (Deut., 16:1)

The question is: How could the Jews transfer an event of Abib (originally coinciding with Rajab) to Muharram, in open defiance of their Torah?

And lastly here is a point to ponder for the Muslims: The Prophet (s.a.w.) was sent with a religion to abrogate all previous religions and shari'ah. How was it that he deigned to imitate the custom of the Jews?

It is clear from above-mentioned facts that the Jews had no reason at all to fast on 'Ashura of Muharram at that period; and this story, built on that premise, is just that - a fiction. Obviously, it was invented by a narrator who only knew that once upon a time Muharram coincided with the Jews' Tishri I; but was totally unaware of contemporary Jewish religion and culture.

One feels constrained to mention here that this and other such traditions were forged by camp-followers of the Umayyads, after the martyrdom of Imam Husayn, as a part of their campaign to turn the 10th of Muharram into a day of rejoicing. These traditions are of the same genre as those which say that it was on the 10th of Muharram that Noah's ark rested on Mount Arafat, the fire became cool and safe for Abraham, and Jesus ascended to the heaven. In the same category came the traditions exhorting the Muslims to treat 'Ashura as a festival of joy, and to store one's food-grain on this very day as it would increase one's sustenance and bring the blessings of Allah to the household.

• Advanced Member
(salam)

i dont personally c a problem if someone wishes to refrain from eating on Ashura as this is usually to remember the hunger and thirst of imam Hussain and his family and companions on this day.

Something i wud like to ask is, on Ashura, what food was made in Kerbala?  Iknow it mite seem like a trivial question but i've heard two things.

i)  it was a mixture of any foor that was left, lentils, rice, meat etc.etc. and this made haleem

I dont pretend to be knowledge-able but i at the moment through shiachat.com have a chance to learn and wud appreciate any replies.

thanx

• Advanced Member
(salam)

thanx

• Advanced Member
(salam)

bro Slave of Allah...

I want to know whats ur intention really in

presenting ur topic that way ...

As long as Shia r satisfied with their beliefs

& u with yours as u say ..why ask ??

See bro I v noticed that u r 13 & living in

Saudi Arabia...well thats fine ...

If u r truely seeking knowledge.....do come to

eastern province & particularly Qateef ...

& attend lectures held daily & Im sure

u ll be surprised about what u ll see & hear ...

Ur Sis Nada

Feemanallah. :)

• Advanced Member

women go out with teir head bared on ashura

i dunt think this is allowed

Yes it is true. Enough to see the tenth Muhrram Jalsoos in Gujranwala, Gujrat and Jang. Ladies are bare headed with dust in their hair. It is allowed or not I do not know, everyone does it according to his/her own way of conduct.

But Slave of Allah,  I wish to ask you a thing, be a neutral person do not think in Sunni or Shia perspective, leave a side your pre-determined position and tell me:

[b:post_uid0]what was the crime of Hussain (as)[/b:post_uid0]

Ok let us see that (God forbid me) Hussain  (as)  was guility of anything (Allah I ask your forgiveness to write this), but then the matter should have been settled with Hussain (as) only, What was the crime of Asghar(as), what was the crime of Syed Sakina (as), Do you have any answer to my these questions.

Remember one thing please. That murder of Imam Hussain (as) is a black scar on Muslims history, it will be never wiped off, never. and last but not least permit me to ask you also this:

[b:post_uid0] what was the crime of Syeda Zainab (as),[/b:post_uid0], now more I do not have heart or courage to ask and write because that was too much. May Allah shower His blessings on these personalities.

==================================

Sometimes I wonder the distance from Medina

to Damascus?

• Veteran Member

Yes it is true. Enough to see the tenth Muhrram Jalsoos in Gujranwala, Gujrat and Jang. Ladies are bare headed with dust in their hair. It is allowed or not I do not know, everyone does it according to his/her own way of conduct.

But Slave of Allah,  I wish to ask you a thing, be a neutral person do not think in Sunni or Shia perspective, leave a side your pre-determined position and tell me:

[b:post_uid0]what was the crime of Hussain (as)[/b:post_uid0]

Ok let us see that (God forbid me) Hussain  (as)  was guility of anything (Allah I ask your forgiveness to write this), but then the matter should have been settled with Hussain (as) only, What was the crime of Asghar(as), what was the crime of Syed Sakina (as), Do you have any answer to my these questions.

Remember one thing please. That murder of Imam Hussain (as) is a black scar on Muslims history, it will be never wiped off, never. and last but not least permit me to ask you also this:

[b:post_uid0] what was the crime of Syeda Zainab (as),[/b:post_uid0], now more I do not have heart or courage to ask and write because that was too much. May Allah shower His blessings on these personalities.

==================================

Sometimes I wonder the distance from Medina

to Damascus?

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Someone mentioned the food on Ashura, There was no food!

3 days without water!  Well 4 really, 7,8,9,10th!

Being a son of a very good cook, since when did ur mum use no water to make any food?

Common sense, ppl!  Even if u made food, that would just increase ur thrist!  Hello?

Thirdly, from Fajr time to Asr time, all the Sahabhis(as) and so on were being martyred, would u really eat food when ur friends are being killed???

Thats all on that!

Fatsing, Shimr(LA) fasted on that day with his clan, they done Mannats that they would do this and that if they killed the Imam(sa)!

Besides, the done Juma right after Asr time!  Then they done the decapitating and horse trampling and much more!

wake up people, common sense!

Ya Ali Madad!

• Advanced Member

oh, and we beat ourselves!

So, how does it hurt you?

Do we beat u too?

Where in the Quran does it forbid this?

If we beat ourselves, ppl would think:

These ppl r mad, let them get on with it and die!

But instead, we have ppl like u who just have nothing better to do!

My Body, I will not commit suicide, but i'm allowed this right and I will do it!  If u don't like it then:

turn away and say La Hawla....

Besides, go and watch Gladiator, it's a nice adaptation of a nice story!  Where leadership was meant for a true man, but a dirty bas**** who done stuff to his sister got it!

I can't wait for Gladiator too!  Oh shias, Quran has many meanings :D

Am I worthy of getting a waring, if this is a bad post, then please take it off!

Ya Ali Madad!

• Veteran Member

• Advanced Member

i think the answer is a straight foward no!

do you think the women of the ahlul bayt strived to keep on their veil only to see their followers remove it?

I agree to your "NO" and also what you have written. But remind you that mine was only an answer to someone who stated that women do not do that, whereas they do. I have myself seen. Anyhow I entirely agree what you wrote in your last sentence. It is a million dollars question. God bless you.

waslaam.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Well, I never saw such an act by women at[i:post_uid1]'Ashura Processions[/i:post_uid1]' , thats why I denied it..

I attend it every year, sometimes in Karachi and sometimes in Oman..but never saw such an act..

Infact, the women do more strict 'pardah' in Muharram.

Anyways, the situation may be different in hmm Bahawalpur? ..

You know what Agha Khomeini said : [i:post_uid1] Bibi Zaynab (as) kay parday per onay wali bibioon, Zainab (as) tumhari Bay pardagi per roti hain..[/i:post_uid1]

(sorry I aint good in translation, may be someone else here can translate it..Thanks)

ma salama

• Advanced Member

Maatam is a excellent sign of Love!  We r ordered to love Hussain(sa), Who better then Hazrat Zainab(sa)-She(sa) hit her head and was called an untaught scholar!

Zanjeer is Excellent too!

That was clear bro!

As for no hijabi women in Muharram, that happened in Iran once, the women were given Hijaab, and those men who were acting out certain scenes were lashed......they were arrested!

btw, I don't even think Nadeem is credable!  No offence Nadeem, I just feel it!

• Advanced Member
I agree to your "NO" and also what you have written. But remind you that mine was only an answer to someone who stated that women do not do that, whereas they do. I have myself seen. Anyhow I entirely agree what you wrote in your last sentence. It is a million dollars question. God bless you.

waslaam.

• Advanced Member

Salam........

oh my God....what a lie...women going out in procession's without their head covered and that to on ashura..Nadeem i am not sure why would you go out in these processions in the first place but neways i have been going out and been participating in all these processions since i was born and it is one of those ocassions in which "parda" is observed very very strictly.

Edited By Syed Haider Naqvi on 1035190721