Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Women Judges

Rate this topic

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Salaam alaikum,

I've always read that they can't be judges or leaders of countries. While a woman can become a mujtahid, she can't be marja taqlid. No one can follow her opinions, only she herself can.

I did read something by Sayid Fadlullah that was discussing this and women being leaders of countries. He seemed to feel that it was a possibility.

A small quote from Al-Mizan:

Of course, in other matters it has limited her sphere of activity, because of her natural characteristics. For example, she may not be made a ruler or a Qadi

WaSalaam, Hajar

Edited by Hajar
  • Advanced Member

I believe they can be judges if they are well educated to the extent that they can give fair hearing and impartial rulings.

But I dont think woman get the oppurtunity to be judges or lawyer in Islamic court. In other court(non islamic) they are given oppurtunity and chance to excel.

• Advanced Member
They are not good in decision-making tasks :angel:

Well..I dont see that in Secular Court.

We have a lot of woman judges and lawyers in Malaysia civil/criminal court but no in Islamic court because it is sort of taboo for woman to be Judge or lawyer there

Frankly, I dont belive woman are not good/fair at imparting justice or decision making..perhaps men cant see woman in postion of power.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I've always read that they can't be judges or leaders of countries. While a woman can become a mujtahid, she can't be marja taqlid. No one can follow her opinions, only she herself can.

The opinion of Sayyid Seestani is that she cannot become a judge in a court. As you have rightly said, she may issue rulings and decrees which she can follow, but others cannot follow her rulings.

ws

• Advanced Member
They are not good in decision-making tasks :angel:

Salaam alaikum,

I don't think this is what the rulings are based on. From everything I have read, these rulings are based on hadiths. The explanations I've read say that its because of women's fluctuating hormones and sympathetic or emotional nature.

However, I have read from a several different present day Scholars that this area should be researched more. It may be that these hadiths are not strong. For example Sayid Fadlullah says they are weak. It could just be that this was the custom of the people in history and doesn't actually refer to women's abilities or inabilities.

I don't know what the case is, I wouldn't want the responsibility myself. I don't think I would be capable of fulfilling the duties. However, there may be some women who are.

WaSalaam, Hajar