Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What was your previous religion/belief?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
Were you devoted to your previous beliefs, or were you just traditionalists? people who are christians by birth, but not by true devotion...

Are you trying to ask in a nice way, If we were blind followers then and now? I find it amusing that would be your first thought. " Well obvioulsy they didn't KNOW what christianity was beforehand"

As for the original question:

Born catholic

Became christian

Now Muslim Alhumdulillah :D

Edited by lilacfatima
  • Advanced Member
Are you trying to ask in a nice way, If we were blind followers then and now? I find it amusing that would be your first thought. " Well obvioulsy they didn't KNOW what christianity was beforehand"

Not sure why you say my question is amusing, but I did not mention anything about being a blind follower or anything like that.

I asked if there was devotion to the religion, or not. That is quite a simple question; at least that is what I thought.

The thing is that most, if not all of the stories I have read about converts from Christianity, have come from Catholics, or people who had no devotion to their claimed religion, but were considered of that religion because they were born into a culture related to that religion. Hence, I said "traditionalists". A cultural tradition, as opposed to a religion.

where in there did I say that someone was following Islam blindly?

• Advanced Member

Salaam alaikum,

I was Southern Baptist, like Um Ali.

QUOTE (Karaite @ Sep 11 2003, 12:24 PM)

Were you devoted to your previous beliefs, or were you just traditionalists? people who are christians by birth, but not by true devotion... 

At one time I was a devout Christian. I never had any doubts about my religion, until I read an English translation of the Quran.

[5.83] And when they hear what has been revealed to the apostle you will see their eyes overflowing with tears on account of the truth that they recognize; they say: Our Lord! we believe, so write us down with the witnesses (of truth).

waSalaam, Hajar

• Advanced Member

Salaam Alaikum

good question. I come from The Aadams Family of religions/non religions.

born into a hippy family who were Buddhist at the time

Mennonite/Anabaptist christianity while a child

rejected christianity around age 9 or so

agnostic until late teens

Undefined Monotheist until I reverted at age 21

Leila

PS (my edit) - didnt practise anything until I reverted

Edited by scarymuslimah
  • Advanced Member

salaamu alaikum

my mum and dad were new age hippie catholics and for the most part still are so i grew up going to church, learning about reincarnation from hindu bed time books, praying to mary and ofcourse the saints when we would loose something and ofcourse channeling energy and meditating :-)

quite a unorthodox mix, thou i was sent to catholic schoool it had no affect on me, when i was 5 and in kindergarden a nun asked my class were we went after we died, expecting an answer like...to heaven or jesus or whatever i raised my hand and said what id always been taught...we get born again...LOL *reincarnation* not only was i in trouble but so was my mom *oops mom*

i did go through a phase when i was like 13/14/15 where i was really into the new age movement and then i sorta got into hindusim and wicca for a few months.

i b/c Muslim at 16 after a exchange dtrip to Morocco and have been ever since. im now 23

fi amna Allah

baheera

• Advanced Member

salaams

1 thing that ticks me off is alot of born Muslims think AL:L Americans are Christian and whatnot

when u try to explain to them that ur parents are americans but where Buddhist or Communists or new Agers or whatever else when u were born thats non-mainstream they dont get u and still assume ur family was a buncha mainstream church going Xtians.

sigh

fi aman Allah

baheera

salaams

1 thing that ticks me off is alot of born Muslims think AL:L Americans are Christian and whatnot

when u try to explain to them that ur parents are americans but where Buddhist or Communists or new Agers or whatever else when u were born thats non-mainstream they dont get u and still assume ur family was a buncha mainstream church going Xtians.

sigh

fi aman Allah

baheera

lol :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Allahuma salli ala Muhammad wa Aali Muhammad wa Ajjil Farajahum.

Born and raised as a Sunni (shafi3i), but the Right Path of Islam, the Path of Ahlulbayt (as) couple years back. Alhamdulillah! :)

wasalaaaaam

fi amanillah

• Advanced Member

(salam)

My mom was Sunni and my dad is Shia. Because my dad was working most of the time, I was exposed more to the Sunni version of Islam because of my mom and my grandmother. My grandmother taught me how to read the Qur'an at an early age and she also taught me how to pray in the Hanafi Madhab. I was still going to the Shia Masjid every year during Muharram because my dad would make us go, but at night before I would sleep, my mother would come to us and tell us that we are Sunni and not Shia! lol

However, it was during my 8th grade year that my dad started teaching us Shiism. From that point on, I learned about the Shia School of Thought, I learned how to pray correctly and my whole perspective of Islam drastically changed. While I was practicising the Sunni way, I didnt feel any connection whatsoever, either physically nor spiritually. Taraweh prayers with the innumber number of Rakats in that namaz was a good effort by the Masjid to have me succomb to the physical connection, yet it failed to somehow motivate me into furthering my Sunni "faith." Yet when I "converted" to Shiism, my perspective of Islam encompassed both a logical understanding as well as a spiritual and emotional connection to Islam. There is this sense of security everytime I enter my Masjid now because I know that this is the way to Allah (swt) and salvation. Inshallah Imam Mehdi (as) will return and we shall triumph over the wrongdoers!

ALI

P.S. My mom also converted!! Now she is more Shia than any of us!! Subhanallah!

Edited by HAIDARI
Guest Slave of Zahra

assalamu alaikum

this is kinda difficult to explain but i was not a practicing christian.. i was christain b/c my family was... i wanted more than anything to be close to god.. to have a relationship with my creator.. but the views of the church just did not make sense to me.. i couldnot accept the things they said... i would always pray to Allah swt to guide me and make me a believer b/c i wanted that deseparately but i just could not accept what the deacons taught at church... it was not in my heart and soul... anyway when i found islam.. it was like someone turning on a light in a dark room... so i guess i was what u would call a christian by birth but not by devotion... inshallah i hope that makes sense... in some ways i feel i was always muslim....alhamdulilah

UmAli

• Advanced Member
I WAS ORGINALLY A SHIA THEN TURNED INTO A SHIA NOW I AM A SHIA  :D

(salam)

Wow...and after all those twists, you're still a shia. :D

Mabrook. :P

Wassalam, Sarah

p/s: I'm born muslim, sunni (shafii) then, present: Shia :)

Edited by sarah786
  • Advanced Member

Asalaamu Aalaikom

First let me explain my family then what religion I followed. My mother is Baptist and my father is Athiest. I was sent to Sunday school as a child to give my parents a break or whatever.. As I got older I felt lost and decided to start going back to church.. I thought no matter what religion I am god would accept me. I became a "Born Again" christian and started rolling with the holy rollers.. Still I did not feel satisfied which led me on a journey. That journey brought me to Shia Islam..

The story does not end there though.. even as a Muslim I was confused and quite influenced by what everyone else was tellin me so I became salafi. I was happy until some of the things I was being told was resurfacing.. These things inevatably caused me to reevaluate my beliefs yet again. So at this point I had to clean my brain and relearn everything.. I became shia again and was certian this was the right path. Until one day I started learning about following the Quran only.. Well of course this seemed to be the right way because its founded on the ONE book all the muslims agree on. Well this also left me confused because many things were unclear in following only the Quran.. I am at a point now where I feel like giving up completly.. People say I change so easy and they say I am not sincere but Allah knows my intentions. No matter what I try to believe it all seems in vain. Sometimes I wonder if its because I have done something wrong in my search.

There is no conclusion to my story it doesnt start with Once Upon a Time nor does it end with I lived Happily ever after. Every day is a new struggle the only thing I can count on is Allah's guidance.

Guest Slave of Zahra
There is no conclusion to my story it doesnt start with Once Upon a Time nor does it end with I lived Happily ever after. Every day is a new struggle the only thing I can count on is Allah's guidance.

assalamu alaikum

dear sis

i can understand some of what u r saying.. u think u have figured it out and then another twist in the story comes along... inshallah may Allah swt help to guide u in your journey and help bring u to the right path...

UmAli

Guest ShhItsSecret

Assalaamu alaaikom wa rahamatullahi wa baraktoh

I was born to a poke the fence christian family. We'd acknowledge God and Jesus... we'd watch the tv evangelists (THIS IS YOUR DAY!!!! LoL I always loved making fun of that) try to be good, but then not really practice everything we claim and say to believe. My mother will not call her self a Christian though unless she is practicing fully. I agree with that idea. Dont claim even though u believe to be something ur not following.

Anyway sorry to trail away

I was born a muslim...to a christian family... I learned to be a Christian... we always went to church but it wasn't till I was in 3/4th grade did my family practice fully ie. NO MUSIC, Speaking tounge, tides, offerings, holy ghost stuff, revivals ie church EVERDAY OF THE WEEK.... we were practicing fully for about 2 years...then my mom was slowly pulled out mostly by my sister and i... (my mom still believes jesus is lord and this is her unconditional belief) so right in 6th grade i played with wicca and paganism but when I got to 7th grade I turned back to CHRISTIANITY (non-denominational) very strong. I thought I had a loving relationship and was born again.... I loved what I was doing. Then I noticed errors and searched other denominations ....then finally ISLAM or actually it was wahabi verision....then I made it to the shia way! alhamdulillah

( u can read the full story at http://www.islamicdigest.net/id5/print.php?sid=1241 ---- OH YES MY MOM IS EDUCATED, SHE JUST DOESNT WORK--- for some reason i forgot she got her ged and went to college (she just didnt get a full degree-she felt offended when she read that part of the story))

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Salaam,

I was a straight devout Christian...

I never experimented outside of my faith. I was raised Espiscopal, which is close to Catholicism. My parents are Episcopal. I was baptised, confirmed, attended Vacation Bible School, Sunday School, active in youth ministeries...as a a young adult. I was set in my belief system...

until....

I read the Quran...to educate myself. I was alone...and all at once...I started crying, was weak, and knew that it was The Truth. I cried for over an hour. If you had asked me if this would ever happen...I would have said no....but it did happen. I thought that all that crying was reserved for the those really bad...evangelists on Christian Network. But I have been touched by the truth and will never turn back. I am alone in my faith. I go to a local mosque...but I am alone...much of the time surrounded by a sea of Christians... My friends and close family are supportive...and my life is so much better now and things are so clear where the weren't before. I think that if you were a devout Christian, it is relatively simplistic to transition to Islam. I had led a conservative lifestyle before too. For some reverts, I sense that Islam for them is a phase...but for me, I am forever a Muslim.

:)

Mary

• Advanced Member

As salamu alaikum,

I was born Muslim...of course! But, I was raised in an adopted family where my father was a lapsed Catholic and my mother was a practising (Trinity United)Protestant Christian. I went to Sunday school and church mostly every week as a child, until my parents got separated.

Then my mother and I stopped going to church soon after my adopted parents breakup. The church memebers treated us horribly becuase of my parents separation. So, we decided it was better to stay at home and read the bible ourselves and follow what it said.

Then in high school, I felt a need for a link with a religious community. I went back to that same church I wwent to as a child for a few years. When I graduated from high school and went to college, I started learning more about Judaism and Islam. I soon realized that Islam was a better choice than Judaism and started searching for information.

Alhamdulillah, with a few more years of searching I became a Shi'i...I never went through the Sunni ways at all! I also brought along my current husband who I met in university while I was firming up my intention to become a Muslim. Both my husband and I are Shi'i reverts! Also, I was able to give information to my adopted father, and he is also now a Shi'i Mulsim!:D

I have never been so happy and felt so fulfilled. I know that where I am today, is where I should be!

May Allah swt continue to bestow us with His mercy and Guidance to remain upon the Straight Path.

• Advanced Member
For some reverts, I sense that Islam for them is a phase
why? i never seen any rereverts? :!!!:

Wa Salaam,

There are but the niyyat for conversion was probably incorrect from the beginning. You have people who become Muslim just because it is a means of protest. You have some who do it because it is the "in thing" especially during the late 80s thru mid 90s. I was Christian and the went through a number of changes before I accepted the Ahlul Bayt (A.S.).

Wa Salaam,

Djibril