Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
roya

Missing a prayer during fast

Rate this topic

(salam)

I can't find anything about this ... is it just like missing a prayer any day?

gosh, I had time management issues today, and there's no musallah on campus, so it's not like I can run off and pray real quick without worrying that some guy's gonna come around and see, ... *sigh* and I was so stressed, ya rabb :(

Salam Alaikum,

I know what you mean, I have back to back classes from 12:00 to 6:30, I hafto rush after my final class...I feel bad about praying late prayers, but I can't do anything :(

This question was asked in regards to missing a prayer during a fast in Ramadan, im guessing it's still relevant for the ques. your asking:

For the fast to be valid, one has to refrain from committing certain acts

from fajr to maghrib like eating, drinking, intentionally attributing a

false report to God, Prophet (S) or Imams (a.s.), engaging in intimate

relationship, etc.  However, observing the obligatory ritual prayers is

not one of them.  Therefore, neglecting to perform the wajib prayers

would constitute a sin but it would NOT render the fast void.

But let me add that the ritual of fasting, like other acts of worship,

has an exterior shell and an inner essence.  There are hadiths from the

Prophet and the Imams (a.s.) to the effect that there are many who attain

no benefit from fasting except the pangs of hunger and thirst.  That is

to say, one may fulfill the legal requirements of fasting but violate the

spirit of the same and as a result may not be entitled to any spiritual

reward.

Another vivid example where the legal requirement and the spirit of

fasting clash applies to a traveller (musafir) who undertakes a journey

for the commission of a sin.  Under normal circumstances, a musafir is

not allowed to fast, however, in the case of one whose journey is for a

sinful purpose he/she is obligated to fast.  This certainly would be

violating the Qur'anic spirit that fasting was enjoined in order to

cultivate the qualities of God-consciousness and piety, however,

according to our jurists the legal injunction for such a musafir is to

fast.

Wa'Alaikum Salam

there's no musallah on campus

girl, what campus you at...I used to pray in a corner in the library, until I realized they had a small (and when i say SMALL I mean SMALL) little section in this office room for us to pray...not all that great, but still private and better than the library...

wat if u miss one of ure prayers n do qadha for it?

(salam)

You need to performed all the five obligatory prayers if not your fast is invalid...qadha is not an excuse. Please correct me anyone if I'm wrong here.

Wassalam, Sarah

(salam)

I'm gonna wait for a ruling on this. I haven't come across anything yet.

thanks sis FF for what you have found so far. girl, I told u where I go to school ... north from you ... but check it, there is NO musallah. yeah. can you believe it?

Guest Slave of Zahra

1581. There are nine acts which invalidate fast:

Eating and drinking

Sexual intercourse

Masturbation (Istimna) which means self abuse, resulting in ejaculation

Ascribing false things to Almighty Allah, or his Prophet or to the successors of the Holy Prophet

Swallowing thick dust

Immersing one's complete head in water

Remaining in Janabat or Haidh or Nifas till the Adhan for Fajr prayers

Enema with liquids

Vomiting

assalamu alaikum

i took the above from ayatollah seestant's islamic laws.. nowhere in any of his books .. have i been able to find the not praying invalidates your fast.. the above nine things r the only things listed that invalidate your fast.. so if it did invalidate it .. would the marjas not have listed it among the acts that invalidate one's fast??

inshallah maybe sis hajar will come across this topic and shed some light on it b/c i would like to know b/c i work and sometimes i have to pray qadha prayers especially during the winter months so i would like to know for sure b/c i never thought that offeriing qadha prayers invalidated my fast if it does i have alot to make up ..

UmAli

(salam)

You need to performed all the five obligatory prayers if not your fast is invalid...qadha is not an excuse. Please correct me anyone if I'm wrong here.

Wassalam, Sarah

You have to Fast, and you have to pray. But if you miss a prayer, that in no way invalidates your fast. I have no idea where you got this ruling from.

When you do fast though, you should try to be as good as you can, hence you should pray.

one can argue "what's the point in fasting, if you're not going to pray", due to the hypocrisy involved, however, if u do miss a prayer then I have not seen any ruling saying that you have to repeat your fast.

salaam

My mother said something similar in this nature but she didn’t say 'invalidate' she said "There is no fast without salat."

And she always says "Don’t make a mockery of fast by not praying salat or not praying on time."

Salam Alaikum,

thanks sis FF for what you have found so far. girl, I told u where I go to school ... north from you ... but check it, there is NO musallah. yeah. can you believe it?

in that case, I think I met some of the crew from there couple weeks ago :)

Immersing one's complete head in water

does that include taking a shower?

Wa'Alaikum Salam

salam

sis, I think a shower is different, but I can't find specific rulings answering that questions. I'm sure someone else knows. By immersing the head ENTIRELY water can enter the throat, thereby invalidating your fast. Under a shower, you are sprayed, not entirely immersed. But I'm sure there's something to say about accidentally swallowing water in the shower.

According to Ayatollah Seestani http://www.al-islam.org/laws/fasting1.html

VI. Immersing One's Head in Water

1618. * If a fasting person intentionally immerses his entire head in the water, his fast is known to be void, even if the rest of his body remains out of water. But this act does not invalidate the fast; it is a Makrooh act, and as a measure of precaution, should be avoided.

1619. * If a person immerses half of his head in the water once, and the other half the second time, his fast is not affected.

1620. * If the entire head is immersed under the water, leaving some hair out, the rule applied will be that mentioned above in 1618.

1621. * There is no harm in immersing one's head in liquids other than water like, in milk. Similarly, fast is not affected by immersing one's head in mixed water that is, Mudhaaf.

1622. * If a fasting person falls into the water involuntarily, and his entire head goes into the water, or if he forgets that he is fasting and immerses his head in the water, his fast is not affected.

1623. * If a person throws himself into the water thinking that his entire head will not go down into the water, and water covers his entire head, his fast remains in order.

1624. * If a person forgets that he is fasting and immerses his head in the water, and he remembers under the water that he is fasting, it is better that he takes his head out of water at once, but if he does not do so, his fast will not be void.

1625. * If a person is pushed into water and his head is immersed in water, the fast is not affected at all. But if the fellow who pushed him and forced his head under water releases him, it is better that he raises his head out of water immediately.

1626. * If a fasting person immerses his head under water with the Niyyat of Ghusl, both his fast and Ghusl will be in order.

1627. * If a person dives headlong in the water to save some one from drowning, although it may be obligatory to save that person, as a recommended precaution, he should give qadha for that fast.

Salam Alaikum,

Thanks for the info and link sis.

Does anyone know the ruling for accidently swallowing water, or even eating, during a fast? By eating I mean taking a bite realizing your fasting and spitting it out not eating a full meal then going "whoops"...but even with spitting it out right away the taste still stays, soo...Does it make void...even if it's an accident? It doesn't really happen to me anymore, but it used to so much when I was a kid :lol: good to know the ruling anyways...

Wa'Alaikum Salam

Salam Alaikum,

oh one more thing (man I have alotta questions :squeez: ) what about chapstick? I could imagine flavorful chapstick wouldn't be ok...but what about those that have no taste and pretty much become absorbed in the lips after a few mins?

Wa'Salam

(salam)

It is ok to use chapstick...because the intention is to make the lips moist not for other purposes. And I also learn that wearing make-up is not allowed except if you're going for job interviews (you have to look presentable)...

I hope this helps... :)

Wassalam, Sarah

(salam)

Taste doesn't matter. and it's not about intention either. It can't go past your throat. so chapstick is okay as long as you don't swallow it.

ws

Edited by roya

(salam)

It is best if we could provide sources to support our sayings...whatever I have said here...I learn from the book (forgot the title) by Yasin al-Jibouri.. ^_^

Wassalam, Sarah

izzit??..i mean u cant wear make up while fasting?? (except for a job interview?)

but why? :blink:

(salam)

I cant put my personal views regarding this but why I say putting make-up for job-interview is an exception cuz you want to find a job, and you have to look presentable so wearing it moderately will do...

Also if you wear makeup during that month, you're actually testing the brothers' faith by looking at you...

Wassalam, Sarah

p/s: tell me what you think, people..

salaam...sis roya,

U probably have lectures, right? so cant u just walk out for a bit, and pray and come back in? Thats what I do.

was-salam.

(salam)

Lecture? :blink: man, I miss lecture. No bro. I got seminars and other grad school type stuff. No big lectures. All my classes are like 10 people or less. And even if I left, I would have to go to the other side of campus, like a 10 minute walk and on days like today when I have courses/meetings from 1 to 5 p.m., it's impossible. :(

Guest Etrizja

Salaam.

I'm also kind of having the same problem. We have a small praying are at our school. What I mean by small is SMALL. And lots of girls will be praying as Ramadan's approaching. So is it fine if miss a prayer, but make up for it as Qadha?

Can’t you pray in an empty classroom?

You don’t need a praying area, all you need is a paper towel (napkin etc.) as is or you could put your turba on it, and pray on the bare floor or if it’s carpeted, even better.

Other places to pray could be under a tree, in a Muslim teacher’s office (ask him about it), or in a church on or near campus. When I was in college, I asked the Church Admins if I could pray salat at a corner. They were perfectly fine. 

Depending on your gender, you will need to be smart and careful about your personal safety at all times of when and where you pray your salat. If personal safety is a concern, you could always pray while sitting on your chair in a classroom or in a crowded place. If your personal safety is compromised, you could even pray by hand signs (no need to do ruku etc), or even by the movements of the eyes, or if even that’s not possible, you could pray in your heart with words whispering out. 

Guest AbdulKarim Nolaatx
On 9/9/2003 at 3:25 AM, Sarah said:

(salam)

From what I know fast is not accepted without the five obligatory prayers.

Wassalam, Sarah

Bismillah 

May Allah shower his blessings on Muhammad and his family. 

The Sister Sarah is correct. It is said by the Holy Imams that fast without 5 daily prayers is not accepted. Ayatollah Sistani is merely giving a list of things that can break a fast instantly. To fast without 5 daily prayers is to just go without food. Salaat is the number one thing that will be questioned on yauma Qiyamah and you will be questioned about salaat in the grave. Those who intentionally missed salaat will also not be able to receive any intercession from Ahlul Bayt. If the salaat are excepted all good deeds done are Excepted.  

If you miss salaat do to time restraint then that is between you and Allah. Allah knows your intent and everything in Islam comes down to intention or niyat. Allah knows if your memory lapsed about prayer and you forgot or if you intentionally delayed or neglected. Prayers can be made late but the best times for prayers are at their prime times. 

Someone asked about eating and drinking while forgetting they are fasting. If one is fasting and eats or drink while forgetting they are fasting it is ok, their fast is in order. For instance if you eat some grapes and swallow but then remember you are fasting, it is ok. Those grapes were a gift from Allah. Now Allah will test you by you remembering while food is in your mouth. If you remember you are fasting while chewing, or before you swallow your food,  then it is obligatory to spit out whatever is left in the mouth. You can’t say “oh well it’s in my mouth now, so let me swallow the rest.” Whenever you remember,  at that point you must prevent whatever is left in your mouth from going down your throat.  Allah knows your intention. Allah knows best What you do. We can fool ourselves and others but we can’t fool the Most High and Most Wise. Allah sees and knows all of our intentions. 

It is best to avoid all things that are haraam while fasting. The Holy Imam said it is better to avoid doing bad deeds than actually doing good deeds. You can slowly build a house over time with good deeds ,but you can quickly burn that house down with consistent bad deeds. So not doing bad deeds is the foundation To building your house and your house can rise over time with good deeds. 

May Allah for have mercy on the believing men and women and forgive us of our sins of Ignorance, our sins of negligence and our sins of arrogance. 

On 9/9/2003 at 2:41 AM, FreedomFighter said:

Salam Alaikum,

I know what you mean, I have back to back classes from 12:00 to 6:30, I hafto rush after my final class...I feel bad about praying late prayers, but I can't do anything :(

This question was asked in regards to missing a prayer during a fast in Ramadan, im guessing it's still relevant for the ques. your asking:

Wa'Alaikum Salam

Why can’t you do anything about it?

You would rather miss a prayer than to simply find a corner, sit down and for pray inwardly?

On 4/20/2019 at 4:58 AM, Guest Etrizja said:

Salaam.

I'm also kind of having the same problem. We have a small praying are at our school. What I mean by small is SMALL. And lots of girls will be praying as Ramadan's approaching. So is it fine if miss a prayer, but make up for it as Qadha?

No.

Refer to previous post please.