Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How many degrees of error is allowed in qibla's...

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam un Alayukm,

How far off can you be? Either in % or degrees? {not on purpose, pretend you prayed one direction one day, ya3ni you thought qibla was one way, and the next day you found out that you were about 20 degrees off, do you have to re-read the previous day's namaz?}

Also, I do taqleed of Ayatollah Khamenai.

Or How about if someone was sure of the Qibla direction, and prayed that way for a while but after a long time, found out that he was wrong {like the compass was malfunctioning the first time or somthing} and figured out that the qibla was in a totally differant direction. Would he have to redo all his namazes that he prayed in the wrong direction?

Thanks in Advance

Iltemas e dua

Khodahafiz

Edited by pasdar1
  • Advanced Member
Salam un Alayukm,

How far off can you be? Either in % or degrees? {not on purpose, pretend you prayed one direction one day, ya3ni you thought qibla was one way, and the next day you found out that you were about 20 degrees off, do you have to re-read the previous day's namaz?}

Also, I do taqleed of Ayatollah Khamenai.

Or How about if someone was sure of the Qibla direction, and prayed that way for a while but after a long time, found out that he was wrong {like the compass was malfunctioning the first time or somthing} and figured out that the qibla was in a totally differant direction. Would he have to redo all his namazes that he prayed in the wrong direction?

Thanks in Advance

Iltemas e dua

Khodahafiz

Salaam

15 degrees

MuslimScientist

• Advanced Member

Salam un Alaykum,

If the answer is 15 degrees, then how come when you do not know the qibla, the marja's say that you should pray in all four directions {if you can}? 4 directions would be 90 degrees! 90 + 90 + 90 + 90= 360 degrees, if it was 15 degress doutable, they would probably say pray in 24 directions?! 24 x 15 = 360 degrees

Anyone understand what I am trying to say? I may be totally wrong, but we need some sources, could you ask your shiekhs for some sources?

{about the "pray in all four directions" thing, look on the islamic laws in al-islam.org}

Ilteamas e dua

Khodahafiz

Guest Slave of Zahra

assalamu alikum

2. The Qiblah: You ought to set your face towards the qiblah, which is the place where the Holy Qa’ba, in Mekkah, is situated.

* Should I fail to determine the direction of the qiblah, after exhausting all means, what should I do?

- Set your face towards the direction you feel the qiblah could be in.

* If I was still undecided as to where would the qiblah be?

- Say your prayer, facing any direction you think the qiblah is in, on the basis of probability .

* Suppose I said prayer, facing a direction I thought was, approximately, the right one, then I found out I was wrong, what would happen?

If the deviation from the direction of the qiblah is less than 45 degrees to right or left, your prayer is in order. If, however, the degree of tilt was greater than that, or you said your prayer facing the opposite direction, and there was still time to repeat the prayer, you should do so. Should the time of prayer elapse, you need not repeat the prayer.

taken from ayatollah seestani's jurisprudence made easy...www.najaf.org

UmAli

• Advanced Member

Salam un Alaykum,

Thanks So much sister, That was the answer I was looking for, I have sent a e-mail to ayatollah Khameni, but based on the answer you shown me, and what the risalah of Ayatollah khomeni says, I think its pretty much the same.

I had been praying at the University library for about 1 year now, and today, I found out that the building I pray in has been cuaseing the compass to show me totally inaccurate directions {it has 3 underground floors, a basement, subbasement, and a subsubbasment } and considering I was praying on the basement, the ground was FAR from the compass, and all the metal and concrete just added to the inaccuracy.

I figured out that compases are for outdoor use, and if you want one that would work correctly in steel buildings, you need to get a military compass which is +65$ So inshallah I will be taking the necessary action inshallah.

Thanks so much everyone, alhamduellah its great to have such brothers and sisters.

Iltemas e dua

khodahafiz

4 directions would be 90 degrees

my own correction, it would be 45 degress becuase of the overlaps.

Edited by pasdar1
  • Site Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

depending from where you're doing salah, but for me, i've never once prayed directly at the qiblah. 1 degree off is enough to sway you a few hundred kilometers from the actual ka3ba..lol

i think it's more of a unity, and symbolic thing then anything.

45 degrees sounds about right. I think it's 45 to the left, and 45 to the right. So there's a total of 90.

ws

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Salam un Alaykum,

I got my answer from Ayatollah Khamanei's Office:

Question:

Salam un Alaykum,

I go to the university, and I was going to pray my namaz, so I used a compass, while I was in a building and found the direction of qibla and prayed my namaz. I had prayed there for about a year, until I have just found out that the metal structure of the building cuased my compass to show me the wrong direction! So I had been praying in the wrong direction all this time. Do I have to redo all my namazes that I prayed in the wrong direction, even though It wasn't on purpose?

Iltemas e dua

Khodahafiz

Answer:

Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu.

The answer is as follows:

Bismihi Ta`ala

If the deviation from qiblah was not more than 90 degree, your prayers are counted to be correct and you would not repeat, or do qada' of, them. However, if the deviation was more than 90 degree, then if you became aware of the right direction during prayer time, you should repeat this particular prayer. While if you found out that after the prayer time, there is no need for doing qada' of those prayers, although it is a recommended precaution to perform their qada' .

Note: We beg your pardon, for the delay in answering your questions which is due to great deal of work and the huge number of emails reaching us from all over the world.

With prayers for your success,

wassalam.

Iltemas e dua

Khodahafiz

• Advanced Member

Salaam,

I just have a related point.

When you go online and you see all these sites with Qibla directions/calculations, are these taking into account the earths magnetic field??

or do you also have to find out what the magnetic deviation is and calculate accordingly?

The sites themselves never mention this.

Thanks in advance

Salaam

• 17 years later...