Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Dino24

language in the mosques

Rate this topic

so i live in usa right and the majority of the shia mosques are iranian

i have a really hard time understanding the speeches cuz i dont speak iranian farsi

and i was just thinking about it.

i was wondering if you guys think like in 10 years from now all the speeches will end up being in english and the grown ups have to wear the translators inorder to hear it in farsi or arabic. i hope so cuz itll seriously help the muslims in the west.

i know that if most of the speeches were in english the majority of the teens would stop roaming in the halls and checking eachother out and start listening to them inshallah.

me and my friend this muharram made these booklets about islam which were pretty short about imam hussein (as) and the tragedy of karbala and while the

men were doing the maatam we passed it out and all the girls started reading them.

i just think its a good idea and if you guys could do this you should too

Salam un Alaykum,

Wanna trade Mosques? :) Where's your masjid? I'm dying for farsi speeches {I listen to tapes and watch videos, but live is something else}. Our mosques is mostly Khoja and {beucase of their kids} the speeches are English and usually like 4 minutes of Urdu/gujrati.

Iltemas e dua

Khodahafiz

i wish we could trade when im at our mosque i get so confused

and when i speak farsi to the farsi speakers they laugh at me cuz im so bad

at it. my family speaks dari so its different accent and different words.

oh yeah and our masjid is in maryland the i.e.c. its pretty cool

we usually go to the hussany around our house which is in virginia its in chantilly its

pretty cool too but really small

(bismillah)

(salam)

Yeah I know those kinds of iranians, they are pathetic. I'd like to see those idiots speak english without an accent. They seem not to understand that those who grew up in north america tend to have a small accent when speaking persian.

(salam)

Hezbullahi

Edited by Hezbullahi

that is so smart hizbullah i never thought of it like that. but sometimes you gotta respect your elders no matter how unthoughful they can be :donno:

(bismillah)

(salam)

Well of course, I wouldnt talk to someone like that even if he was young. (specialy not in a mosque)

(salam)

Hezbullahi

yeah sometimes it makes me mad and a lot of girls come to the masjid to talk to eachother

what i cant stand is when there are speeches in english all the women start chatting it makes me wanna cry cuz it frustrates me :cry:

yeah sometimes it makes me mad and a lot of girls come to the masjid to talk to eachother

what i cant stand is when there are speeches in english all the women start chatting it makes me wanna cry cuz it frustrates me :cry:

(bismillah)

(salam)

Ah thats not new, I've been to almost every mosk in my city - iranian,iraqi etc.. and its like that with all of them. Many of them go there to gossip and show off their families (the showing off of families was mostly in the iraqi mosks).

I remember even once the sheikh at the iranian mosk got angry and told the women to stop talking. They stopped talking but after 2 minutes, the circus began once more but only 10 times badder.

One thing is that I give credit to sunnis because when I go to their mosks, most days women arnt aloud to come to the mosk when men are there so its always quiete :D . Another thing is that men cant do what they usually do in shia mosks ( that is blable while someone is giving a speech) because they'll get the fury of the wahabis :shaytan:

(salam)

Hezbullahi

yeah well it sux being on the girls side when you wanna hear something

and thats true the wahhabis got it under control :D

the mullah at our mosque yelled at the women one time and i was cracking up i kept quiet but iwas looking at the ladies like :!!!: haha and i was looking at the mullah with pride

yeah well it sux being on the girls side when you wanna hear something

and thats true the wahhabis got it under control  :D 

the mullah at our mosque yelled at the women one time and i was cracking up i kept quiet but iwas looking at the ladies like  :!!!: haha and i was looking at the mullah with pride

oups i dont know why but I thought you were a brother :blink:

hehe now I think you suffer a lot more than me :P

Edited by Hezbullahi

Salam un Alaykum,

Yeah I know those kinds of iranians, they are pathetic. I'd like to see those idiots speak english without an accent.

Akhi, I'm going to have to give you a "unofficial" warning, from a loving brother, for that one :D

oh yeah and our masjid is in maryland the i.e.c. its pretty cool

Is that the one with a school attached to it, and it used to have "howza" classes in the summer?

Unfortunatly, when We went there, there were some kids that were suppose to recieve awards for memorizing Quraan, and so they went on the stage to recite and the crowd was SO loud that these kid's quraan was TOTALLY drowned out. I wanted to :cry: , so I went back to the kitchen to help :)

At our Masjid, {run by Respective Khoja's}, they have it under control. There are about 2-3 elders on the men and 2-3 elders on the women side that are old enough to critisize everyone, and they are mo'min enough too. And if it starts getting loud {rarely does}, they Slap their hand on the wall 3 times and tell everyone to be quite; and everyone hangs their head in shame.

Iltemas e dua

Khodahafiz

i also have the same problem ever since i was a kid ,,,,the majlises were being held in urdu , when i was still young i didnt understand much of what the molana was saying in urdu , and my parents and i also attended iranian majlises ,,,that was even more hard to follow , cuz they strechhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh words and sentence that long that when i understood one word they were talking that fast that i just got lost in the whole sentence , i wish i could attend english majalises as there rnt any english majlises or any majlises in dutch i think the good part of english majlises r that they can reach a larger group........*sigh*

i am glad i understand urdu and farsi now ,,,,but still iranian (persian) farsiii is just sometimes tooo difficult....just say balley instead of ballleyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy (which means *yes*)

Guest ShiaCat

(salam)

Currently I have the choice of farsi, turkish, arabic :unsure:

To bad I know none of them, it was better in the UK,

where you could get something in english. But in the rest

of Europe.........

eeyyy shiachat......where r u from??? i am from the netherlands btw , i am working on a site in dutch , and have plans to organise shia youth camps ,but that will take some time........i will keep u updated about it...if that can help, i hope

Guest abaleada
I remember even once the sheikh at the iranian mosk got angry and told the women to stop talking. They stopped talking but after 2 minutes, the circus began once more but only 10 times badder.

(salam)

I would have kicked them out.

About languages, I like the multilingual format, where majalis are offered in Farsi, Urdu, English, and Arabic all through Muharram. However, now that I have experienced what it is reallllly like in the masjid that I attended this past Muharram, I don't intend to be back. Inshallah I'll listen to the majalis online, maybe go on the day of Ashura, nothing more. Same with Ramadan.

It would be nice if some of us pious knowledge-seeking types could get together for regular halaqas, especially during the sacred season. Even if online only.

-Abbie

we have also the same kind of circus going on , at the pakistani emambargeh.,,,,and jeeshhh they only seem to liven up during matam only cuz its like a fight they have who will start first to recite their nohay's , childeren playing screaming and crying and chips and crisps everywhere on the ground its so hard to follow what the molana is saying , and ofcourse the women also seem to liven up more when the dinner is being served!!!

maybe hilarious , but we also have a woman who walks with a stick and bangs on the wall to get attention and scare the childeren to sit quietly !!!!!!!

favourite topic in the women's section !!!!!!!!! is definatly , latest gossips , fashion and gold's rate ''

sigh what a messs!!!! , but do try to ignore them , attending majaliss at the mosque is different , plus to be gathered all together is good , to be one at one place and remember the family of ahlebait .....plus u wont be forgotten in the community ....its good ppls see r face that u also belong to the shia community in your local area....ofcourse internet also contains a largeeeeeeeeeeee database of information!!!!! which is really impressive

You people are talking as if it's some sort of prison camp or something. Everyone should sit still and quiet at all times. No sound, no movement, nothing. B)

Sorry but if the people are talking, try to find the root of the problem. Usually it is the clerics that are out of touch with reality. 95% of the ones I've heard, are equal to sleeping pills. Get rid of them and get new ones that can speak about something relevant to the people in there.

I'm not surprised at all that the women are even less interested. Most of the speakers touch on topics which are of little interest to women, such as war strategies, the strength of the people, details of battles between the armies etc.

The women want to know about the details of relations between the people, the conversations made by the people in the Imam's camp, the role of women in that battle, the aestethic and emotional parts of the tragedy etc.

I've seen it happen once during my lifetime, the speaker began saying I'm going to dedicate this to the ladies, and spoke about Zeynab (as), and that night the women were listening quite attentively.

So stop blaming the people - no one should be forced to listen to anything uninteresting. If we started demanding more and criticizing more of the things going on in the community, the quality and standard of the speakers and the speeches would increase alot.

If someone eats food during the speech or lets the kid run around etc yes that's wrong but the majority are not doing that, the majority are just so bored they talk to eachother instead. Something which would probably happen in the male section too, if the cleric was a female and wasn't looking at the males.

Guest abaleada
Sorry but if the people are talking, try to find the root of the problem. Usually it is the clerics that are out of touch with reality.

no, he problem is usually the women. they have no interest in the lecture and no desire to learn. their speech hurts those who would rather listen to teh nmajlis, which is why they drove out to hear it. their gossip, competetiveness, and slander hurt the Muslim ummah. and they pose very bad examples to those struggling with the inner greater jihad of nafs.

If I had any authority in a masjid, I would outright kick such women out.

Note that ibn some masajid there is a policy that only men can be on the board. :sick:

If I had any authority in a masjid, I would outright kick such women out.

Let's hope you don't! I'm just asking myself whoever dares to give himself/herself the right to "outright kick" people out of God's house.

Book 030, Number 5720:

Anas b. Malik reported: I served the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) for ten years, and, by Allah, he never said to me any harsh word, and he never said to me about a thing as to why I had done that and as to why I had not done that. Abu Rabi' has made this addition (in this narration):" The work which a servant should do." There is no mention of his words" By Allah".

Edited by waiting

Selam alaycom,

I have had problems with being able to hear at some majalis, the ladies do talk a lot or don't control their children. :shaytan: However, I have never been to a boring one as you mentioned. Ours, alhamdulillah, are very good.

Peace,

Um Ali

I bet its cuz your irani <_<

Salam un Alaykum,

:) Akhavi, no, I'm iranian but I grew in America, so now I lack vocabulary in Both English and Farsi :) I just thought no muslim deserves to be called a "idiot"

Iltemas e dua

Khodahafiz

salam,

inshAllah bro die like Hussain (mashallah, you have so much ambission!) speeches will be in english in less than 10 years... it seems like my generation is a bit... rebellious, lol. :)

and as for the irani people making fun of your accent, your not alone, iranis arent the only ones... pakistani are notorious. :( i could speak urdu if i tried, but then infront of elders for some reason i always choke, and mix the genders adjectives with the wrong verbs, and they bite their tongue to not laugh.. its just horrible! :cry: lol

women... grr! just on sunday we had a majlis for Bibi Fatima s.a. and got this excellent zakira from overseas, and after everything was over, (matam, ziarat, etc) she was reading duas, and would have read atleast 3 more, but the women just started talking and walking away... it was so disrespectful!! i felt so bad for the zakira, and angry at the women for portraying such an image to her... :angry:

I would have kicked them out.

right on! :P

bro/sis waiting, i think you are correct on your part too, but back in the day of the Prophet, i really dont think anyone sat in masjid-ul-haram and said "did you hear who did what? i know i know, i would never have guessed!!!"

wasalam.

Actually, they did. Not only that, people stormed in, mocked him, people urinated in the mosque (!), people threw mud at the Prophet, they came to the mosque drunk (the Qur'an forbade them eventually to do that), the prophet sometimes lost mood, and the Quran tells him that no Prophet was sent but that the people mocked him, etc.

Excessive talking, exaggeration, unrealistic topics which are of little daily usage and so and so forth lead to people not listening. Secondly, people didn't come there to read duas all day long - they came to listen to a sermon and then go home.

If you drag on topics and things, people will get very tired. She could have said: "The official ceremony is now over, whoever is interested can stay longer for recitation of some superagoratory supplications." That would only leave those who are interested left.

There's a story in Kafi about a man converting to Islam at the hands of another muslim, the other muslims tells him let's go pray now that it's Zohr, the man does that, when that's over he says let's go pray Asr now, so the man follows, then when that's over he says let's go pray Maghrib now, so the man does that, and then he says let's go pray Isha now, and the man follows, and after each prayers they keep reciting long duas etc., and then he says now it's almost Fajr so let's stay and pray here etc., the next day the man leaves Islam and says "This is not a religion for me". The muslim then goes to Imam Sadiq (as) who rebukes him saying the man did wrong making the other person leave Islam. It's from my memory so it may be flawed somewhat but the original message is there.

Anyway, all you need is a small Ziyarate Ashura, then a (short, interesting and relevant) sermon and some Matam. After that you call the official ceremony off and those who are interested can remain for recitation of extra supplications etc.

Edited by waiting

What I meant was that he felt a little bit discouraged by stiff resistance of the ignorant people of his time. Maybe the choice of words was incorrect.

Kafi says he used to complain to Jibreel (as) after Abu Talib (as) and Khadija (as) passed away.

"Khadija (a.s.) died at the time the Holy Prophet (s.a.) came out of Sha‘b of abu Talib. This was one year before his migration to Madina.Abu Talib died one after the death of Khaija. When the Messenger of Allah lost these two people at became very difficult for him to live in Makka. He became extremely sad and complained it to Jibril. Allah then send him the message to leave the town, the town of the unjust people because after abu Talib there is no one in Makka to support you. He was commanded to migrate."

http://www.al-shia.com/html/eng/books/hadi...part4-ch111.htm

Doesn't mean he's not perfect - complaining is just expressing emotions.

Guest ShiaCat

(salam)

queen punk wrote

am working on a site in dutch , and have plans to organise shia youth camps ,but that will take some  time

That would be great, here ( germany ) everything is in other languages.

Turkish being the main one

One thing is that I give credit to sunnis because when I go to their mosks, most days women arnt aloud to come to the mosk when men are there so its always quiete :D . Another thing is that men cant do what they usually do in shia mosks ( that is blable while someone is giving a speech) because they'll get the fury of the wahabis :shaytan:

(salam)

Hezbullahi

(salam)

LOL fury of the wahabis I've seen that :D At the wahabi/sunni mosque I've gone to a few times, the women are crazy....just gossipping 24/7 during prayers, lectures, recitation of the qur'an :o I can't understand why they even come....

masalama...

(salam)

Sis I understand you pain.......lol I speak dari farsi too. But alhamdulillah you at least have a mosque :cry: All we have is a community center we got to 2 times during muharram and even then it's all in farsi. And I'm just like huh?? And don't even try to speak during the lectures those irani sisters don't play when it comes to lectures but then when its the english lecture's turn guess who's the first to start talking....the irani sisters :D :D

It makes me mad esp all the kids and most women go during muharram just to show that they're shia some even have the nerve to go into lectures and matam w/o hijab, tons of makeup and the tightest clothes out there. And yet they are the ones who cry the most?? :huh: :huh:

Inshallah make dua we get a mosque soon..

Masalama....

Edited by Afghan_Muslimah

thanx my brothers and sisters im happy somebody actually understand my pain

inshallah things will get better :D and im a sister ive had a lot ofpeople call me brother cuz of my name but thats why i get so bothered on the womens side cuz their talking right in my ear

out of interest how did the sheik hear the women? is there no wall in that mosque and only a curatin for seperation?

I have to envy those with a choice.

Here there is no mosque, maybe when the students come back I can find a discussion group.

The translation from arabic to other languages, to english, with all the baggage that english has from a millenia of christian warfare is many times suspect. But it would be nice to here sermons and join prayers. - esp if one could understand them.

Salam